Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #47

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder what he was protecting his property from, exactly. LE had already conducted 2 searches of his PP house and grounds by that point. If there had been something there they likely would have found it. So if someone "planted" something on his PP property, he'd be able to easily claim it was planted since his property had been previously searched.

I think it might have just been the principle of it--he didn't like the search that was happening, he was furious that his bro-in-law was leading this search, he was frustrated by the surrounding publicity, the additional media exposure, people talking, fingers being pointed, the proverbial bear (or Silverback gorilla, if you will) was being poked and provoked.

It's been my belief he didn't and doesn't want anyone looking for his missing wife, he doesn't want her found, he just wants everyone to back the hell away, go back to their own lives, leave him and his missing wife alone, and just accept that she's gone, "no questions asked," as he probably intended.

IMO

Are you being serious? She was considering medical marijuana use for her own personal battle against cancer. What type of person does that make her? A person with an illness.

What is the source of your organization rules? Is it the substitute teaching database? Is it from her Church website?

jmo
Not to mention both medical and recreational marijuana are perfectly legal in CO for home use. Just the same way that protecting your property by toting a shotgun is.
I don’t think anyone has the right to judge SM for wanting to try it. It’s legal, it’s doesn’t define anyone as any ‘type of person’. Moo

Look no further than one Bernard Madoff for super smart yet ended up with life in prison, both sons dead, family ruined, so many lives ruined. Someone can be "smart" yet dumb as a box 'o rocks all at the same time.

IMO
While I agree with you and MassGuy that smart people can do really stupid things, I’m not of the opinion that BM is in any way smart in the intellectual way. Bernie Madoff was smart, evil and dumb. Fotis Dulos too. BM is just plain dumb in my books like PF. BM was perhaps able to sell himself on a social level with his upscale homes and upscale cars, but certainly not intellectually. The man cannot string together a proper sentence if his life depended on it, the irony being, it does, and he can’t pull it off. Nope, he is the proverbial “dumb as a box of rocks.” Nothing more. JMO :)

Not to mention both medical and recreational marijuana are perfectly legal in CO for home use. Just the same way that protecting your property by toting a shotgun is.
I don’t think anyone has the right to judge SM for wanting to try it. It’s legal, it’s doesn’t define anyone as any ‘type of person’. Moo
She was surrounded by cancer victims, doctors, nurses and those going through chemo. I'm sure she was advised that it helps with the side effects.
For any husband who'd not only have a problem with it but badger her about it is insane whether it was due to control issues or 'values' (<--HA!). It's heartless and cruel. IMO

But, was/is BM REALLY a successful business man?

He had a 1.5 million dollar home In Colorado free of a mortgage. His Indiana home was free of a mortgage as well and sold for high dollars for an Indiana home. He sold his Indiana business for 1 million or so if I remember right, which all point to a success. What do you have the points the other direction?

While I agree with you and MassGuy that smart people can do really stupid things, I’m not of the opinion that BM is in any way smart in the intellectual way. Bernie Madoff was smart, evil and dumb. Fotis Dulos too. BM is just plain dumb in my books like PF. BM was perhaps able to sell himself on a social level with his upscale homes and upscale cars, but certainly not intellectually. The man cannot string together a proper sentence if his life depended on it, the irony being, it does, and he can’t pull it off. Nope, he is the proverbial “dumb as a box of rocks.” Nothing more. JMO :)
Oh I’m not of the opinion he’s particularly bright either. He communicates at a high school level, at least through his interviews.

I was willing to concede some level of intelligence, just to point out that it doesn’t matter if a perpetrator is bright or not.

He had a 1.5 million dollar home In Colorado free of a mortgage. His Indiana home was free of a mortgage as well and sold for high dollars for an Indiana home. He sold his Indiana business for 1 million or so if I remember right, which all point to a success. What do you have the points the other direction?
I think this should be rephrased as ‘they’ had a 1.5m home free of mortgage. Suzanne’s inheritance put 500K toward Puma Path Home (if I remember correctly), perhaps another inheritance paid for their first home?
We should absolutely not in any way give BM the credit of solely owning their properties. They were not HIS. Although IMO I believe he thought so and still does.

From everything we can deduce, the funding of these properties was due to SM and her family. She married a landscaper.
Even so, in the event of divorce, half (or less - even MUCH less - due to contractual agreements regarding certain properties) would have been SM's.
So yeah, I wouldn't call him 'successful', unless he gets away with murder. IMO

I don’t think a single person has argued that Barry committed a crime, and wasn’t perfectly within his rights.

The argument is that it was a really stupid thing to do, albeit incredibly predictable.

It’s a horrible look, and shows exactly where his head is at: Protecting what is his.

Hundreds of people taking part in a search that he himself should have organized, yet he couldn’t be assed to even participate.

I think “thank you” would have been more appropriate than “get off my lawn.”

That’s just me though.
It is absolutely bizarre when you think of it.

Is this the missing woman's husband coming out to say thanks with a round of coffees to keep us going?

Uh, no...

WTH

What is he protecting his property from exactly? They were volunteers there from around the country looking for HIS wife?

Instead of helping, providing information or guidance he planted himself firmly as an impediment.
Exactly.
And, there's no way in heck that he thought they were random wanderers onto his property.
There was a large scale search organized and I believe they were being respectful about staying away from the boundaries of his acreage.
As in, he knew why they were there.

I think BM said that the reason for the trail cams were b/c of curious people wandering onto his property.
Does he have any proof that this happened ?
Or was this in conjunction with the organized searchers ?

He wants to come off as a big, successful property owner, but seems more like a frightened or paranoid person.
From the old pop song..."Watcha gonna do, when they come for you ?"
IMO

It is absolutely bizarre when you think of it.

Is this the missing woman's husband coming out to say thanks with a round of coffees to keep us going?

Uh, no...

WTH
Even if I started out being a sympathetic searcher/volunteer --- observing the husband confronting or even threatening us with his shotgun, whilst myself and others were out taking time out of our day(s) to look for her....
I would start thinking 'this guy knows something'.
Imo.

I think this should be rephrased as ‘they’ had a 1.5m home free of mortgage. Suzanne’s inheritance put 500K toward Puma Path Home (if I remember correctly), perhaps another inheritance paid for their first home?
We should absolutely not in any way give BM the credit of solely owning their properties. They were not HIS. Although IMO I believe he thought so and still does.
Bingo.

And if LE are (even now !) digging into his financial affairs, they may uncover motive.
As was posted earlier, a house of cards was about to be exposed !
IMO

Last edited:
Again, Barry had no legal duty to retreat to his home or away from it.
No one has suggested he did.

I was just pointing out that if he didn't want to encounter suspicious or possibly hostile searchers, all he had to do was stay at the house. There was no realistic expectation that searchers would press their way to the house in order to confront him.

Maybe it looks bad, maybe not. I think he should not have left it until the day of the search, but the act of protecting one's property is a laudable activity, regardless of how it looks.

Protecting one's property is laudable only in relevant context -- namely, when there is a realistic perceived threat to said property.

My point, and I think that of others, is that there was no realistic perceived threat to the property, and only the mindset of a paranoid/guilty party would think there was.

And if the perceived threat was not to the property but to himself as a person, then I repeat my view that all he had to do was to *not approach* the searchers in order to avoid an encounter.

As others have pointed out, thanking the searchers would have also gone a long way toward diffusing any tension.

While yes he has a legal right to protect his property, doing so in the absence of a rational threat to said property does not help his public image.

ETA: forgot to say MOO

Last edited:
I’m torn. It’s possible that the financial situation isn’t as rosy as it appears; or worse.

Even if that’s not the case though, a divorce could prove devastating for a man that obsessed with image (perfect family, wealth, etc).

Half your assets likely means bye bye dream home.
RBBM
But that’s just it. Even though he now has EVERYTHING in his hands with SM gone, he’s still liquidating, and possibly downsizing. I’ve theorized before that I think the sale of the house in IN was going to reveal a secret he wanted to keep hidden, perhaps a very large LOC (revolving line of credit) against the home. What does he do immediately after selling it? Buys a property to build on. Before he put PP on the market, many of us suspected that would be his next move. Perhaps there wasn’t enough equity left for him in the IN home to “keep on rolling” in the lifestyle he’d become accustomed to. If he’s able to sell PP, it will give him $$ to build a lovely home, albeit smaller perhaps and some cash to spare. Let’s face it, he’s no prize bull anymore and he doesn’t look like he’s in the greatest shape regardless of how many push ups he can do. Being self-employed he needed a “retirement plan.”

I really do suspect the walls were closing in on him and SM either discovered the house of cards Barry built and she’d had enough and he couldn’t accept her leaving him OR he was willing to kill her to save face. Appearances are everything to that shallow man. I lean heavily toward the latter, that being premeditated, but will leave room for a sudden loss of control that ended SM’s life. It is his very odd behaviour that leads me to believe he isn’t feeling any remorse whatsoever, just an arrogant jerk getting on with his new life. Personally, I hope no one buys the PP property. I think he’s counting on cashing in to stay solvent. I’d like to see what happens if it doesn’t sell. How long will it be before he takes out a mortgage on it to stay afloat? I know WE can’t sleuth him, but someone, somewhere most definitely will. :). All MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong