Holiday and Winter Alternatives for Social Distancing Gatherings

Holiday but not gathering related
Walmart Black Friday 2020: 3 November sale events planned

Although this year’s event looks different, our commitment to what our customers depend on us for – the absolute best prices of the season on hot gifts from top brands – hasn’t changed,” said Scott McCall, executive vice president and chief merchandising officer for Walmart U.S., said. “I’m really excited that this year, when it matters most to our customers, we’re offering them more convenient and safer ways to shop Black Friday at Walmart, whether that’s from the shelf in one of our stores, ordering online and picking it up curbside or having it delivered right to their front door.”

The sales will be broken into three parts:

Event No. 1

Event 1 begins online Nov. 4 with new deals in stores Nov. 7.

The sale will start online at Walmart.comon Wednesday, Nov. 4 at 7 p.m. ET, with deals including onn. brand 42-inch UHD Roku TV for only $88 and Hotel Style bath towels for $5.

In-store deals will start Saturday, Nov. 7 at 5 a.m. local time with items like the Magic Bullet Blender available for $15 and a New Bright 1:6 scale RC Truck for $40. New deals will also go live at Walmart.com on Saturday, Nov. 7 at 12 a.m. ET.

Also, Walmart will also hold its annual Tire Event in-stores and online Nov. 7-13 where customers will receive $20 off per tire and free lifetime balance service from its Walmart Auto Care Centers for all modular Goodyear branded tires.

Event No. 2

Deals begin online Nov. 11 with new deals in stores Nov. 14.

The second event will offer deals on electronics, like TVs, computers and tablets. Savings on movies, music and items in apparel, hardlines, home and more will also be available.

Deals will begin online at Walmart.com on Wednesday, Nov. 11 at 7 p.m. ET with new deals at Walmart.com on Saturday, Nov. 14 at 12 a.m. ET and in stores starting at 5 a.m. local time.

Walmart will also host its biggest wireless phone event ever in-stores and online on Saturday, Nov. 14 with deals on iPhones and Samsung phones.

Event No. 3

Deals for event No. 3 begin online Nov. 25 with new deals in stores on Nov. 27. The deals will include electronics, toys and gifts from apparent and homes and seasonal décor.

Deals will first be offered at Walmart.comon Wednesday, Nov. 25 at 7 p.m. ET. New deals will be available at Walmart.com at 12 a.m. ET and in stores at 5 a.m. local time on Friday, Nov. 27.

I could use some new towels!

DH and I have been in our current home for nearly 28 years and have never had a Christmas tree in this house. We get live wreaths with big red bows for the outdoor lights - two flanking garage door and two on either side of front door. We also get a live "drop-in" for the urn on the front porch. Nino Salvaggio's displays their live greens a week or so before Thanksgiving, so we usually get them over the holiday weekend.

Indoors, I hang a large quilted stocking on the fireplace mantle with a big red bow. I have several Ganz "kissing krystal" ornaments that I hang on doorknobs, and I have a collection of Pfaltzgraff Winterberry collection serving pieces that I display in the kitchen. I have a lovely pair of stained glass candle holders - one red, one green - that I have had for many years and set them on the vanity in the powder room with fragrant holiday votives. It's not a lot of decorating - just enough so that it looks like we're in the holiday spirit without the fuss and effort of a tree.

Kissing Krystals by Ganz | Collectible Christmas Ornaments & Décor

Winterberry®

Last edited:
I have a collection of Pfaltzgraff Winterberry collection serving pieces that I display in the kitchen.

Winterberry®

RSBM - BetteDavisEyes, your decorations sound beautiful . . . and I always enjoy seeing a Pfaltzgraff mention! 37 years ago in lieu of china, Pflatzgraff Folk Art is what I listed on my wedding registry. All these years later, pretty much all the dishes and serving pieces I own are that original Folk Art pattern. Pfaltzgraff retired Folk Art a few years ago; however, due to customer outrage, they eventually brought it back, but as a lesser quality, Chinese-made product - not the same thing at all. I started collecting their Christmas Heirloom collection (not nearly as pretty as your Winterberry), but it too was retired and I was never able to add to the pieces I already had.

Thank you for mentioning this. I haven't used my Christmas Heirloom in a long time since it's just DH and I for the most part. I think I'll get it out and start using it after Thanksgiving. A year like this needs an extra boost of cheer, especially at the holidays.

RSBM - BetteDavisEyes, your decorations sound beautiful . . . and I always enjoy seeing a Pfaltzgraff mention! 37 years ago in lieu of china, Pflatzgraff Folk Art is what I listed on my wedding registry. All these years later, pretty much all the dishes and serving pieces I own are that original Folk Art pattern. Pfaltzgraff retired Folk Art a few years ago; however, due to customer outrage, they eventually brought it back, but as a lesser quality, Chinese-made product - not the same thing at all. I started collecting their Christmas Heirloom collection (not nearly as pretty as your Winterberry), but it too was retired and I was never able to add to the pieces I already had.

Thank you for mentioning this. I haven't used my Christmas Heirloom in a long time since it's just DH and I for the most part. I think I'll get it out and start using it after Thanksgiving. A year like this needs an extra boost of cheer, especially at the holidays.

You might be able to find discontinued pieces of your Pfaltzgraff pattern at Replacements, Ltd.

Replacement China Patterns, Flatware, and Crystal | Replacements, Ltd.

You might be able to find discontinued pieces of your Pfaltzgraff pattern at Replacements, Ltd.

I just used Replacements, Ltd to purchase a "Corningware" dish my mom uses to make her scalloped potato recipe with. She got it when my parents first got married 52 years ago. She advised us that she would no longer be making them, since the dish was broken and she had to throw out. Thankfully they had the exact one!

Shared! Thanks! That is a really great site that they drill into tv shows and not just the usual movies list.

Fabulous

I hope you will find the site useful. What I like most is that you can scroll ahead to see what movies/shows will be on the next day or weeks in advance. Saves time going through all the different channel websites to see what's on and when. When I notice that there's a movie on that I'd like to watch, I put it on the calendar so I don't forget. There are already a lot of movie listings, and the site continues to add more as the schedules are announced by networks.

We just have the three of us, and usually travel Thanksgiving and Christmas. Our relative group is small, under 10, and within 2 hours of us, so we will do the same probably. I have had to play Bad Mom and say No to my son who has been insisting to go to Haunted Houses/Corn Mazes etc. with his friends with the covid surge in Indiana though. I do love the idea of bringing out our Christmas Spode set again as I haven't in a few years. Thanks for the push!

I've browsed at Replacments online many times - easy to fall down that rabbit hole. Their headquarters near Greensboro, NC is about 3 hours from here and our women's ministry has done the tour of the facility a couple of times in the past. Don't think their store/tours are even open now with Covid.

DH and I are in the process of downsizing (I more than he, unfortunately, lol) so I may be one of those people like mickey2942 who hauls a bunch of stuff off to Goodwill one day. Also have a friend who owns the only antique shop in town and she has sold some miscellaneous old Pfaltzgraff, Hull, and McCoy pieces (cookie jars, specialty plates, etc.) for me over the years.

But back on topic - since my daughter married, we've celebrated Thanksgiving and Christmas at her house as she and her husband both love to cook and entertain. The holidays will definitely be different this year. Praying things don't get worse but I'm not too hopeful about that right now.

What is your favorite Christmas movie?

1. "The Nun's Story" with Audrey Hepburn.
2. "White Christmas" with Fred Altair.
3. "Christmas Story".
4. "The Grinch". The old one.
5. "A Christmas Carole". The old one, and the one with Bill Murray.

My favorite holiday movies:

1. A Christmas Carol (1984 - George C. Scott)
2. Holiday Affair (1949 - Robert Mitchum, Janet Leigh)
3. The Holiday (2006 - Kate Winslet, Cameron Diaz, Jude Law, Jack Black)
4. Silver Bells (2005 - Anne Heche, Tate Donovan)
5. Recipe For a Perfect Christmas (2005 - Christine Baranski, Carly Pope, Bobby Cannivale)

This is a local (Detroit) news article, but it has a lot of good tips about celebrating the holidays during the pandemic.

What will holidays look like with COVID? Michigan offers guidance on travel, gatherings

‘Staying home is the best way to protect yourself and others’

Coronavirus cases are rising in Michigan and around the country -- and many are asking -- what will the holidays look like?

If you’re looking for some guidance, the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) has issued a guide on holiday travel and gatherings.

“Celebrating the holiday season with family and friends is one of our most cherished traditions,” said Dr. Joneigh Khaldun, chief medical executive and chief deputy for health. “Even though the way we celebrate may have to be different, the guidance issued today shows there are still many ways to spend quality time with family and friends safely during this festive season.”...

I hope that my husband's family has the sense to not drop by or visit at all right now.
After having so many people stop at my house recently, I’m thinking about putting a sign on my door.

Don’t go away mad, just go away!” And wear a mask!!!

The same tree trimmer guy twice wanting to overcharge me ($650-$700) to cut down the dead tree. I already had 3 written bids under $300. My lawn guy quoted $150. My neighbor and a friend are helping me take it down - for free!!! If we can’t get it down, I’ll have my lawn guy do it.

Political people - it is none of their business who/why/when I vote.

At least there has been a break in the religious people.

Ok, fire up your family holiday Zoom meeting and gather 'round the table.

Murder mystery game making a killing in coronavirus pandemic, $52M in sales expected

Snips:
Customers are provided realistic props, including cryptic handwritten notes, newspaper clippings, crime scene photos, autopsy reports and witness statements among others, to help them solve an ongoing case, ultimately leading to the murderer in the final episode. As a detective, members must identify each suspect’s means, motive and opportunity.

For those needing backup, or a nudge in the right direction, there’s a Facebook group, where over 130,000 members discuss their cases without spoilers.

“I think 2020 has brought to light why people wanted to connect with our experience,” Hogan shared. “Right now people are searching for a way to detox. They’re searching for a way to put down their devices and truly connect at a meaningful and deeper level with those around them. And you just can’t do that on a phone. When you look at [board] games, while those are entertaining, of course, it’s missing that storytelling component. So what we did was create a physical experience where people can still come around the table, solve challenges and be excited about it.”

Read the Massachusetts coronavirus guidelines for Thanksgiving | Boston.com

Any time you’re near people you don’t live with:
  • Wear a mask when not eating or drinking
  • Wash your hands often with soap and water
  • Stay at least six feet apart from others
  • Consider if those around you may be at higher risk of severe illness from COVID-19, such as older adults or those with certain medical conditions, and take extra precautions
  • If gathering indoors, improve ventilation by opening windows and doors
Lower Risk Celebrations
  • Limit in-person holiday gatherings to only people you live with or limit to a small group of individuals with whom you are regularly in contact.
  • Gatherings with more people pose more risks. As a reminder, gatherings in Massachusetts are subject to gathering size limits.
  • Keep visits short – gatherings that last longer pose more risk than short gatherings.
    • Host a virtual holiday dinner with extended family or friends, especially if they are at higher risk for illness from COVID-19. Prepare traditional family recipes for family and neighbors, especially those at higher risk of severe illness from COVID-19, and deliver them in a way that doesn’t involve contact with others.
Higher Risk Celebrations
Including people who are not in your household or limited social network increases the risk of contracting or spreading illness. If you plan on celebrating the holidays in person with people you don’t live with:
  • Wear your mask and watch your distance at all times.
  • Do not share food, drink, or any utensils.
  • Encourage guests to bring food and drinks for themselves and for members of their own household only.
  • Wear a mask while preparing or serving food to others who don’t live in your household.
  • Consider having one person serve all the food so that multiple people are not handling the serving utensils.
  • Use single-use options or identify one person to serve sharable items, like salad dressings, food containers, plates and utensils, and condiments.
  • Avoid any self-serve food or drink options, such as buffets or buffet-style potlucks, salad bars, and condiment or drink stations.
  • For 14 days before and after holiday gatherings, minimize contact with other people, and leave home for essential services like going to work, buying groceries, and appointments with doctors; OR,
  • Obtain a negative result from a molecular (PCR) SARS-CoV2 test, on a sample obtained within 72 hours of the celebration.
  • Seat people with plenty of space from one another while dining.
  • Consider small seating table arrangements in multiple rooms with plenty of spacing, instead of a large family table.
  • If gathering indoors, improve ventilation by opening windows and doors.
Avoid these activities
  • Avoid sharing food and drinks.
  • Avoid shaking hands and hugging. Wave and verbally greet others instead.
  • Avoid singing, dancing, and shouting. These activities increase your chances of catching COVID-19 through the air.
  • Avoid in-person gatherings with people at a higher risk for severe illness from COVID-19, such as older adults and people with certain medical conditions.
Other Important Considerations
  • Community levels of COVID-19 – Higher levels of COVID-19 cases and community spread in the gathering location, as well as where attendees are coming from, increase the risk of infection and spread among attendees. Consider the number and rate of COVID-19 cases in your community and in the community where you plan to celebrate when deciding whether to host or attend a holiday celebration. Find information on cases in Massachusetts cities and towns and information on cases across the United States.
  • People with or exposed to COVID-19 should avoid attending in-person celebrations. Do not host or participate in any in-person festivities if you or anyone in your household:
    • Has been diagnosed with COVID-19 and has not met the criteria for when it is safe to be around others
    • Has symptoms of COVID-19
    • Is awaiting COVID-19 viral test results
    • May have been exposed to someone with COVID-19 in the last 14 days
    • Is at increased risk of severe illness from COVID-19, such as older adults or those with certain medical conditions

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back