WV WV - Charles “Chuck” Taylor, 35, blind, mental illness, Williamson, 20 Sep 2020

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
Police say there is no sign of foul play in Taylor’s disappearance, but they are concerned since he does not have his medication.

Police announced the effort to find Charles Taylor, 35, will begin Wednesday morning.

Taylor, who is blind and suffers from a mental illness, hasn’t been seen since Sept. 20.

All volunteers must be at least 18 years of age to participate. If you wish to help, you’re asked to arrive at WPD headquarters by 10 a.m. Wednesday.

Police say they’re reaching out to the community to help find Taylor. Along with Williamson officers, West Virginia State Police troopers and Mingo County Sheriff’s deputies will help in the search. Williamson Mayor Charles Hatfield also will participate.

UPDATE | Search party organized for missing Williamson man

Search continues for missing Williamson man

"We do know that Charles left on his own accord,” Police Chief Grady Dotson said. “He left his residence around 5:01 a.m. from this building on his own accord. We do not suspect any foul play as far as someone taking him out of the building or threatening his life in any way."

73f5e402-c424-402c-a080-ac436eca6511-large16x9_Capture.PNG

UPDATE | Search party organized for missing Williamson man
Update 9/29/20 @ 3:50 p.m.

WILLIAMSON, W.Va. (WSAZ) - A search party is being organized in Williamson to help find a man who’s been missing more than a week.

The Williamson Police Department (WPD) made that announcement Tuesday, saying the effort to find Charles Taylor, 35, will begin Wednesday morning.

Taylor, who is blind and suffers from a mental illness, hasn’t been seen since Sept. 20.

Police say they’re reaching out to the community to help find Taylor. Along with Williamson officers, West Virginia State Police troopers and Mingo County Sheriff’s deputies will help in the search. Williamson Mayor Charles Hatfield also will participate.

All volunteers must be at least 18 years of age to participate. If you wish to help, you’re asked to arrive at WPD headquarters by 10 a.m. Wednesday.

Unfortunately, Charles is still missing. There is some new information in this article:

Williamson man still missing after community search effort

Some key points:
  • Reported missing by Charles' girlfriend
  • There was a security tape of Charles leaving the Williamson Towers alone, according to Charles' sister.
  • Charles lives near the highway and some wooded areas.
  • Charles has been off his medicine since Sept 2, 2020, according to the sheriff, who consulted with Charles' doctor.
  • Sheriff doesn't think Charles is a threat to anyone else, that Charles is perhaps a Charles is a "danger to himself."
  • Charles' sister gives some additional info in the article about what kind of person Charles is--follow link for more info.

Unfortunately, Charles is still missing. There is some new information in this article:

Williamson man still missing after community search effort

Some key points:
  • Reported missing by Charles' girlfriend
  • There was a security tape of Charles leaving the Williamson Towers alone, according to Charles' sister.
  • Charles lives near the highway and some wooded areas.
  • Charles has been off his medicine since Sept 2, 2020, according to the sheriff, who consulted with Charles' doctor.
  • Sheriff doesn't think Charles is a threat to anyone else, that Charles is perhaps a Charles is a "danger to himself."
  • Charles' sister gives some additional info in the article about what kind of person Charles is--follow link for more info.
  • has a mental illness and has been off his medication
  • probably would not be a good idea to interact with him
  • one of seven children
  • an “introvert” - few friends in the Williamson area
  • attends a local church
  • is not an aggressive person, he just can’t see
  • really, really totally out of his character
  • stays in contact...no matter what is going on
5f76e2bf810bd.image.jpg

No updates on Charles' location. Hopefully Williamson PD will plan another search soon.

Williamson Police Department
30 Sep 2020

The WPD would like to thank all of the volunteers who showed their support today in assisting with the search for Charles "Chuck" Taylor. Thank you to all of the local agencies Williamson Fire Dept., Belfry Fire Dept., MCSO, and local news outlets as well as community leaders for their support.
If anyone has any information regarding Mr. Taylor's whereabouts, please contact us immediately.

There’s so many possibilities just with his blindness. I’m blind/partially sighted in WV. I don’t live very close to Williamson, though. Does anyone know if he used and took a straight cane? That’s what we (vision impaired) use to either supplement or take the place of our vision. It doesn’t sound like he had a seeing eye dog. (I may have missed that info, though.) If I’m in an area that I have walked a lot, I don’t always use my cane. Example: walking my dog around the apt complex several times/day; walking to my dr’s office right across the street.) My worry is when we have our canes, it’s obvious that we are vision impaired/blind to anyone who sees us. It marks you as a vulnerable person, easier to attack, rob, etc. Many people assume you’re totally blind, but blind ranges from legal blindness (20/200) down. I also have mental illness. I’m very strict about taking my meds every day. I wonder why he had stopped taking his? It’s a common practice for people who have depression, bipolar, etc to stop taking the meds when they feel better. I’ve done that long ago with my bipolar, and landed in the psych hospital after a failed suicide attempt. That’s what I worry about with Charles; too. I go for walks in the dark often because there’s less traffic and noise. I mean, it’s not like I can see much anyway. Woods makes me feel calm. I wonder if that’s where he went. Traffic can throw vision impaired people off. We listen to see if we hear a vehicle and at which direction. I suck at that, and have walked out in front of a few cars. I always worry for any disabled person missing. It scares the crap out of me because I know how vulnerable we are.
JMO

There’s so many possibilities just with his blindness. I’m blind/partially sighted in WV. I don’t live very close to Williamson, though. Does anyone know if he used and took a straight cane? That’s what we (vision impaired) use to either supplement or take the place of our vision. It doesn’t sound like he had a seeing eye dog. (I may have missed that info, though.) If I’m in an area that I have walked a lot, I don’t always use my cane. Example: walking my dog around the apt complex several times/day; walking to my dr’s office right across the street.) My worry is when we have our canes, it’s obvious that we are vision impaired/blind to anyone who sees us. It marks you as a vulnerable person, easier to attack, rob, etc. Many people assume you’re totally blind, but blind ranges from legal blindness (20/200) down. I also have mental illness. I’m very strict about taking my meds every day. I wonder why he had stopped taking his? It’s a common practice for people who have depression, bipolar, etc to stop taking the meds when they feel better. I’ve done that long ago with my bipolar, and landed in the psych hospital after a failed suicide attempt. That’s what I worry about with Charles; too. I go for walks in the dark often because there’s less traffic and noise. I mean, it’s not like I can see much anyway. Woods makes me feel calm. I wonder if that’s where he went. Traffic can throw vision impaired people off. We listen to see if we hear a vehicle and at which direction. I suck at that, and have walked out in front of a few cars. I always worry for any disabled person missing. It scares the crap out of me because I know how vulnerable we are.
JMO

Great perspective, StarEyes, though this makes me nervous for you! If you were close to Charleston we could meet and ramble around.

This update has many comments along with additional replies from WPD.
8 Dec
UPDATE: CHARLES "CHUCK" TAYLOR
The WPD is aware of the social media accounts related to the disappearance of Charles "Chuck" Taylor. We urge the public to not rely on Facebook, Tik Tok etc. for accurate information. The WPD, as well as surrounding agencies, are treating this case as top priority and have been working diligently to find Mr. Taylor. We have followed all potential leads, conducted numerous interviews, assisted with polygraph examinations, and conducted several searches in an effort to find Mr. Taylor. At this time, no human remains have been found.

We have obtained evidence which has been forwarded to the WV Crime Lab for DNA testing that may be related to the disappearance of Mr. Taylor, although, it is too early at this time to say for certain. Pending results from the lab, this case continues to be considered a missing person and no arrests have been made. The WPD as well as surrounding agencies continue to follow any and all leads pertaining to Mr. Taylor.

Please follow this page for any additional updates. If you have any information regarding the disappearance of Mr. Taylor, please contact the WPD.

This update has many comments along with additional replies from WPD.
8 Dec
UPDATE: CHARLES "CHUCK" TAYLOR
The WPD is aware of the social media accounts related to the disappearance of Charles "Chuck" Taylor. We urge the public to not rely on Facebook, Tik Tok etc. for accurate information. The WPD, as well as surrounding agencies, are treating this case as top priority and have been working diligently to find Mr. Taylor. We have followed all potential leads, conducted numerous interviews, assisted with polygraph examinations, and conducted several searches in an effort to find Mr. Taylor. At this time, no human remains have been found.

We have obtained evidence which has been forwarded to the WV Crime Lab for DNA testing that may be related to the disappearance of Mr. Taylor, although, it is too early at this time to say for certain. Pending results from the lab, this case continues to be considered a missing person and no arrests have been made. The WPD as well as surrounding agencies continue to follow any and all leads pertaining to Mr. Taylor.

Please follow this page for any additional updates. If you have any information regarding the disappearance of Mr. Taylor, please contact the WPD.
I wonder what the evidence that's being DNA tested is if no human remains were found and he left his residence of his own volition...

23 Dec 2020
UPDATE
Re: Missing Man Williamson WV (Charles Chuck Taylor)
The WPD is following up on several leads, and is currently looking for a person of interest Rhonda Johnson. Johnson last known location was around the Ohio area. If anyone has any information on her whereabouts please contact the WPD at 304-235-2570 Thank you

Interesting comments under WPD's post, especially the one by A.K.
WPD's 25 Apr 2021 post regarding "several arrests" has interesting comments as well.

28 Apr 2021

k Update Re: Charles "Chuck" Taylor

The WPD would like to address the derogatory remarks that have been made on various social media platforms aimed towards the WPD and it's affiliates. First and foremost, this case was our number one priority prior to the case being transferred to the WVSP. There have been many accusations made that the WPD, along with the Mayor, have committed an act of wrongdoing by not allowing the case to be solved, which is simply untrue. They have been accusations that the WPD has arrested Mr. Taylor this is untrue. In addition, the WPD has never been asked nor told by any agency, prosecutor, etc., to relinquish the case. The WPD requested that the case be transferred to the WVSP after all leads had been exhausted. The WPD, as well as other agencies, worked tirelessly and diligently to locate Mr. Taylor, and felt that the WVSP would be able to broaden the scope of the investigation outside of this city's jurisdiction.

From day one, the WPD followed every procedure and protocol to find Mr. Taylor and bring him back home. After Mr. Taylor's girlfriend filed the missing persons report, the WPD began investigating Mr. Taylor's disappearance immediately. Multiple searches were conducted by local agencies as well as community searches, all of which were covered by news stations to broaden the information. Any tip or lead that the WPD received was thoroughly looked into, including but not limited to, someone stating that they dreamed of what happened to Mr. Taylor. All persons of interest were immediately interviewed and questioned. The WVSP, at the request of the WPD, conducted a polygraph examination on a person of interest with no findings.

Allegations were made that Mr. Taylor was murdered at a residence located in Williamson, WV. Prior to officers arrival, individuals kicked in the door of the residence of where Mr. Taylor was allegedly murdered (breaking & entering) and attempted to investigate the incident. These actions hindered the ongoing investigation and contaminated any potential evidence. Said individuals may be facing possible charges regarding the B&E. After Officers received consent from the home owner to search said residence, they collected evidence from both inside and outside of the home. The evidence was properly collected, bagged, and labeled accordingly, then immediately transferred from the WPD to the WVSP Crime Lab. At no time was the chain of custody broken as alleged. Although the WPD was hopeful for a break in the case, the lab results concluded that "No human DNA was found" on any of the evidence submitted.

We understand that this is a highly sensitive case, but misleading information will only hinder any investigation from moving forward. Statements made that someone is a murderer with no evidence puts a substantial risk of injury to that person. The WPD has devoted every resource, all of their manpower (both on and off duty), and given out their personal cell phone numbers, all of which is not required. Officers exchanged hours of communication between anyone that could help solve this case. Citizens of Williamson, including the Mayor, assisted officers with the ongoing search for Mr. Taylor, even wading through sewage. We urge people not to listen to misleading information and to allow the WVSP to continue this investigation Our prayers go out to the family that one day the incident to Mr. Taylor missing will be solved. If anyone has any credible information concerning the incident please contact the proper authorities handling the case thank you.

Jason Hebert and Denise McGarity spoke with Chuck's mom, sister, and brother during this 3 Mar 2021 interview linked below. They've shared quite a bit of information which helps explain many of the details surrounding Chuck's disappearance and the subsequent efforts to find him. This interview could use a thorough unpacking and sorting out (imo), at which point I believe the details will likely uncover some important leads and answers. They name names and make allegations against certain folks who the family believes are involved in Chuck's presumed murder. His family does not hesitate to lay the cards on the table as they allege foul play, a botched investigation (including potentially mishandling items/data/structures that could be evidence in a murder), and corruption among some high ranking officials who may have influence over the investigation. IMO, this interview may have been the catalyst for Williamson Police Department's 28 Apr 2021 update I linked in my post immediately above this one. I'm hoping now that the WVSP has taken over the investigation Chuck and his family will see justice served upon those who are involved. My thoughts and prayers go out to his loved ones and those who are working to help bring answers to them. MOO

Thanks to @Sillybilly for the video's approval!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back