Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

otto

Verified Expert
Reaction score
We almost need to start a poll to see how many people have stock-piled a month of food and other necessities just in case. It seems unnecessary when the problem is in some other part of the world, but it also seems quite likely that the problem will move to all parts of the world.

If that happens, there are those who will be prepared, and those who will panic in the last minute and the shelves will be bare. I wonder what the stats would look like amongst people here for prepared versus wait and see then panic.

Thread #1
Thread #2

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else noticing the shortage of canning supplies (or did I miss this discussion)? I’ve tried family in rural MN and family in rural KS, none there either. Hitting up my bff in Chicago area to see if there is any a around her. I’m in SE TX and the 5 different stores I’ve tried are out. There is going to be an orange habanero jelly crisis to go along with the pandemic if I don’t find canning lids.

Anyone else noticing the shortage of canning supplies (or did I miss this discussion)? I’ve tried family in rural MN and family in rural KS, none there either. Hitting up my bff in Chicago area to see if there is any a around her. I’m in SE TX and the 5 different stores I’ve tried are out. There is going to be an orange habanero jelly crisis to go along with the pandemic if I don’t find canning lids.
I’ve been looking for lids with no luck.

Orange habanero jelly? Sounds tasty!

I’ve been looking for lids with no luck.

Orange habanero jelly? Sounds tasty!
We grow the oranges and have a bunch on our tree. They are small and sweet, maybe more like mandarins. I try to grow all the habaneros I need but I make so much I usually end up buying some. It’s really good on crackers with cream cheese, or chicken or fish. I usually make about 100 jars per year for family and friends. This year with the shortage, I’m not sure what I’m going to do. I’ll probably end up juicing the oranges and saving it until supplies are available.

Not "groceries" per se, but has anyone used Spraypak Disinfectant Spray? A local grocery store (Piggly Wiggly for those of you in the South) had tons of it today. Nine dollars for a smallish can - not nearly as big as the full-size Lysol disinfectant spray can.

Description says "SprayPAK Spray Disinfectant kills the pandemic 2009 H1N1 virus on hard, nonporous, inanimate surfaces, and kills HIV-1 (AIDS virus) on precleaned environmental surfaces or objects previously soiled with blood and body fluids. This germicidal kills Staphylococcus aureus, Salmonella enterica, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Streptococcus pyogenes, Vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecalis (VRE), and Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in 10 minutes. It is also effective against fungi such as Trichophyton mentagrophytes (causes of ringworm or athlete's foot), in appropriate areas. Prevents mold and mildew on hard surfaces."

Amazon reviews seem decent, for what it's worth - many seem to think it's a good Lysol substitute. I like to keep disinfectant spray in my office and I've got two cans of Lysol left. It's been impossible to find around here for months. Want something that will help me at work through the winter.

Not "groceries" per se, but has anyone used Spraypak Disinfectant Spray? A local grocery store (Piggly Wiggly for those of you in the South) had tons of it today. Nine dollars for a smallish can - not nearly as big as the full-size Lysol disinfectant spray can.

Description says "SprayPAK Spray Disinfectant kills the pandemic 2009 H1N1 virus on hard, nonporous, inanimate surfaces, and kills HIV-1 (AIDS virus) on precleaned environmental surfaces or objects previously soiled with blood and body fluids. This germicidal kills Staphylococcus aureus, Salmonella enterica, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Streptococcus pyogenes, Vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecalis (VRE), and Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in 10 minutes. It is also effective against fungi such as Trichophyton mentagrophytes (causes of ringworm or athlete's foot), in appropriate areas. Prevents mold and mildew on hard surfaces."

Amazon reviews seem decent, for what it's worth - many seem to think it's a good Lysol substitute. I like to keep disinfectant spray in my office and I've got two cans of Lysol left. It's been impossible to find around here for months. Want something that will help me at work through the winter.

I just use a spray alcohol. It doesn't cost that much.

I've never heard of that. I'm sure it's something you'd find in a medical setting. I personally don't care for aerosol type cleaners or disinfectants. The over spray is wasteful and I can't breathe when people spray that type item in an enclosed space. If I had to be in an office, I'd go with alcohol wipes. Even if you have to buy unscented baby wipes and dump some alcohol in them.

Last edited:
I've never heard of that. I'm sure it's something you'd find in a medical setting. I personally don't care for aerosol type cleaners or disinfectants. The over spray is wasteful and I can't breathe when people spray that type item in an enclosed space. If I had to be in an office, I'd go with alcohol wipes. Even if you have to buy unscented baby wipes and dump a some alcohol in them.

I use the wipes too (!!) on my desktop, door knobs, flat surfaces, etc. But for unmasked long-winded bosses (pastors, lol) and unmasked church members who dwaddle in my door way, only the spray will do. :p

Now if you had told me 9 months ago that I'd be spraying Lysol in my office, I would have laughed. No way! I have never been a germaphobe until now. :eek:

List N Advanced Search Page: Disinfectants for Coronavirus (COVID-19) | US EPA

I almost forgot to post. I found Lysol wipes!!! It's been probably 8 months or more (not sure when I first started looking)?

I always check grocery stores and Walmart and Shoppers Drug Mart when I'm picking up an order. This time we were in a different part of the city and stopped at a different SDM. Like magic, there was several containers on the shelf. I grabbed three. I said afterwards I should've grabbed more but other people need it too!

I went to Publix today. It was busy for 4pm on a Sat. Many people were wearing masks too.
  • I hoping to find my McCormick Crock Pot Pulled Pork seasoning mix but no luck. I did get a different seasoning packet last week that I can try. Almost everything was sold out. Lots of home cookin' going on I guess.
  • I noticed the stock of paper products were even lower than last week. I picked up a package of TP and my favorite pick a size Brawny paper towels.
  • They were out of Reynolds Aluminum Foil that has the cooking spray already on it. I use that a lot. It's ok tho, I can spray the regular foil.
  • Lipton Tea Bags were $1 off each box so I got 4. This is my caffeine as I don't drink coffee.
  • My favorite Jimmy Dean cooked, crumbled turkey sausage was BOGO!
  • My favorite Ball Park bun length hotdogs (made with chicken and pork) were BOGO! I put a pack in the freezer. We like to grill out at the beach in the fall.
  • My favorite hash brown patties were finally back in stock so I got 2!
  • I forgot sugar - dang it. I have a little in my canister and 1 extra bag. I wanted to get at least 1 more for holiday baking.

I found lids, bought all of them, had jars too. I had to go into a rough part of Houston to the Walmart and they had a bunch of canning supplies. I should be set for orange habanero and my big batch of salsa I make a couple of times per year.

Is that edible toilet paper? :D

46ef0800-955f-4973-8543-6d8d217903ae-jpeg.268895
It's made from pea-s!

It's just 63.2% ethyl alcohol in spray form. Myself, I would rather put on 70% alcohol for cleaning from a bottle I always have on hand vs. a spray. If you want to spritz vs. wipe, buy a $1 spritz bottle from the local dollar store.

And SprayPak has butane and propane for the propellant... nope nope don't need those volatile organics around unnecessarily MOO. And the normal household alcohol we have in our cabinets is a lot cheaper that $9.00!

http://www.chaseproducts.com/msds/4334104.pdf

https://www3.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_search/ppls/000498-00134-20180125.pdf

I just use a spray alcohol. It doesn't cost that much.

I've never heard of that. I'm sure it's something you'd find in a medical setting. I personally don't care for aerosol type cleaners or disinfectants. The over spray is wasteful and I can't breathe when people spray that type item in an enclosed space. If I had to be in an office, I'd go with alcohol wipes. Even if you have to buy unscented baby wipes and dump some alcohol in them.

I'm with you! Just pour your isopropyl alcohol into a spray bottle if you prefer a spray and without the VOC's to boot, voila. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends a solution of 65 to 95 percent alcohol using either ethyl alcohol or isopropyl alcohol in any hand sanitizer to do the job. Also, isopropyl is a better surface killer. Chemical Disinfectants | Disinfection & Sterilization Guidelines | Guidelines Library | Infection Control | CDC

Last edited:

Check estate sales and garage sales. You’ll have to hit a few, but they’re always there. Resale shops, too. That’s where I replaced mine after the flood wiped out every thing I had collected over the years.

last week, there were actually Lysol wipes and Chlorox wipes in my grocery store. I squelched the initial desire to try to buy every canister (just because) and selected one large canister to squirrel away in the bathroom. They were actually rather expensive and I know that I can just put paper towels in a bleach solution for less $, but they can be convenient in the car, or if I ever got really sick and was not up to mixing and making my own. Several days later, there were only a few canisters on the shelf and a sign about limited purchase. Are these showing up anywhere else? I had gotten so used to not seeing them that I stopped looking for them quite awhile ago.

At the stores by me (metro Detroit), the paper products aren't cleared out yet, but they are definitely getting low. I'm to the point of picking up a pack of TP and some paper towels every time I go to the store, whether I'm there for them or not.

Sigh - I'm so over Covid.

last week, there were actually Lysol wipes and Chlorox wipes in my grocery store. I squelched the initial desire to try to buy every canister (just because) and selected one large canister to squirrel away in the bathroom. They were actually rather expensive and I know that I can just put paper towels in a bleach solution for less $, but they can be convenient in the car, or if I ever got really sick and was not up to mixing and making my own. Several days later, there were only a few canisters on the shelf and a sign about limited purchase. Are these showing up anywhere else? I had gotten so used to not seeing them that I stopped looking for them quite awhile ago.

DH got a large canister of Clorox wipes at Meijer over the weekend. There was plenty of stock, but he only got one since we have a good supply of wipes for now. We're not using disinfectant wipes as frequently as we did during the early months of the pandemic. DH got paper towels at Costco, and we also have ample supplies of TP and Kleenex. If we start to notice shortages of any necessities, we will get just enough for our needs.

Our local Target and Walmart stores have canning supplies. Have to tried country feed stores?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708