SD SD - Serenity Dennard, 9, Children’s Home Society, Pennington County, 3 Feb 2019 #4

Pretty girl, lost girl,
Where did you think you were going?
Even though you couldn't know
That very soon it'd be snowing.
Pretty girl, lost girl,
Unbound did you run around
Until you found a hiding place
So good that you'd never be found?
Pretty girl, lost girl,
How can it be true?
With your success all we can do is guess
Whatever became of you?

I know it has been said they are fairly certain she is lost
somewhere and possibly deceased, but I can't help but think she never made it out of the children's home.
My mother and her sister were in foster care and although
nothing serious occurred , she was left with the mental scars of that time. We have all heard of horror stories
associated with the foster care system, and they should not depend on what so and so said about seeing her outside. Please , I hope they do a thorough investigation of the the employees and the way the home itself was run.

I know it has been said they are fairly certain she is lost
somewhere and possibly deceased, but I can't help but think she never made it out of the children's home.
My mother and her sister were in foster care and although
nothing serious occurred , she was left with the mental scars of that time. We have all heard of horror stories
associated with the foster care system, and they should not depend on what so and so said about seeing her outside. Please , I hope they do a thorough investigation of the the employees and the way the home itself was run.
I think that is something they may have considered, but the fact that the people who saw her outside on the road - and who went looking for her shortly thereafter - were not employees of the Home.

I've been thinking about her lately, too. Here in NC, it's just starting to get cool in the evenings; the trees are dropping lots and lots of acorns and leaves. The temp is a mild 52 F with a breeze here now. Not cold, certainly, but it's coming. I'm a big wimp when it comes to cold weather. But I got a chill in the wind on our porch and I thought of that little girl.

I think of little Serenity just wanting to be in her own little place, wherever she may have found one, and be in a quiet place where she was in charge of nothing and no one except herself, for just a little while. She probably could only do that outside somewhere, so she left the house instead of simply screaming her head off and possibly getting punished for it.

We've all been there, but -- but she was only 9 years old.
So she went out... Did she have a plan to really leave, or was she planning to come back when she, and only she, decided to return?
Did she get a ride that night, or did she just go gentle into that long goodnight?

I've been thinking about her lately, too. Here in NC, it's just starting to get cool in the evenings; the trees are dropping lots and lots of acorns and leaves. The temp is a mild 52 F with a breeze here now. Not cold, certainly, but it's coming. I'm a big wimp when it comes to cold weather. But I got a chill in the wind on our porch and I thought of that little girl.

I think of little Serenity just wanting to be in her own little place, wherever she may have found one, and be in a quiet place where she was in charge of nothing and no one except herself, for just a little while. She probably could only do that outside somewhere, so she left the house instead of simply screaming her head off and possibly getting punished for it.

So she went out... Did she have a plan to really leave, or was she planning to come back when she, and only she, decided to return?
Did she get a ride that night, or did she just go gentle into that long goodnight?

Great post!

Yeah, I check in regularly both here and on places like Twitter just to see if there is any sign of her. And, as you said, the cooler weather seems to remind me more so as well. I noticed that they had a fair amount of snow over the weekend and the temps dipped way down - I think even now it is in the single digits. I guess while the weather is warmer, I think somebody may find something, but when the winter weather comes, that is just not likely to happen.

We just don't know what her intentions were, nor what happened. We were told that she might be trying to find her way to one of her parent's houses, which would have been quite a trek in the best of times, but we don't know that for a fact. Unfortunately, she picked a very bad time to run. And, as you and others have said, she may have found a quite little secluded hiding place to be alone, and the weather turned against her.

Just for the helluvit, I checked the weather report for
Rockerville, SD. I've never lived north of Raleigh, NC, so I am a big, big cold-weather wimp, as I've said before. My trips to NYC, my northernmost travel point, are always in May or June.
So here's the current weather for Rockerville, SD, and bless you folks who live around there and in similar climates. Down here, any temps below 25° are rare and those temps don't last many days during our entire winters. And yes, we do swelter a bit here on some days in June, July and August -- temps are 90--95, humidity 80 %, for instance, but not every day. But it does get hot here, damm hot, as they say.

Rockerville, SD
Mon 26 -- Tonight .....14°
Precip ....0%
Wind 7 mph
Clear skies. Near record low temperatures. Low 14F.
-------------------------
Tue 27 .... 47°/30°
Precip ....0%
Wind 8 mph
Mostly sunny
----------------------------------------------------
Source
Rockerville, SD 10-Day Weather Forecast - The Weather Channel | Weather.com

Last edited:
If their were any sightings it wouldn't be posted on here since that's against the rules but I have a feeling that their might have been possibly Newcastle WYOMING.. This is all just MOO

Hmmmm, interesting. Newcastle Wyoming...
So glad you're posting with us, and this:

Welcome to Websleuths
Garcia157 !!

I truly hope all these hunters are aware she is missing. Maybe one of them will notice something out of place. Maybe an article of clothing or one of her rubber boots will be found.

South Dakota Hunting Seasons 2020-2021 - Hunting Season HQ
When I saw your post, @PayrollNerd, I looked to make sure I wasn't on an older post from last year, when we were all hoping that hunters would find a scrap of her clothing, shoes, anything that would tell us anything. <sigh> And here we are again. Oh, this still hurts, doesn't it? And we still have that nugget of hope that she is okay somewhere or, sad to say, a hunter will find some remnant of clothing, etc., so her family and those others who cared about her will know more than we know now.
So we wait and hope.

BTW, I love your avatar!! :)

Are there mines Serenity could have fallen or gotten into? Is it confirmed she was fearful of the dark? Most kids would be.
I don't know if it's ever been stated categorically that she was or was not afraid of the dark. It has been stated that she hid in some dark crawl spaces, which tends to indicate that she wasn't terrified of the dark, but that's just speculation.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back