Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #47

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not sure if Suzanne had Hodgkin or non Hodgkin lymphoma, but lymphoma is one of the most treatable cancers. It seems as though survival should have been expected.

So..while what you say is true, Suzanne did not fall into the category of "get it, get treatment and it's over." Instead, she fought it off in her late teens and then got it again (rare enough!)

Is survival expected when people get it twice? I'd like to see some literature on that. From what I've read, it was Hodgkin's. Not non-Hodgkin's. Both are serious, life-shortening illnesses. She had it twice.

10-20% with this diagnosis will die within 5 years - I don't consider that insignificant. I don't know the rates for people with a recurrence.

Said another way, if SM stood to inherit a lot of money after her dad passed away and BM was free to do (financially) as he pleased while she was alive, why would he kill her? Why not wait for the inheritance and then murder SM and make out with a lot more money?

something forced his hand.
I think he may have heard through the grapevine about GM’s poor health. Although I know his diagnosis wasn’t until after Suzanne went missing I still feel that BM may have had inside knowledge of something amiss. Hence the rush. MOO

I think he may have heard through the grapevine about GM’s poor health. Although I know his diagnosis wasn’t until after Suzanne went missing I still feel that BM may have had inside knowledge of something amiss. Hence the rush. MOO

But if that was the case, why not wait for GM to die, the inheritance to pass through to SM and then kill her? BM would have potentially millions more in that scenario.

Last edited:
I have a few questions for the group that I am curious about:

1. Would LE have photographed BM when they brought him in for questioning? Such as his hands, face, neck, etc. to document any potential signs, lesions or marks as they may relate to a struggle or other activity?

2. What is the standard LE protocol for photographing the spouse of a missing person? Is there such a procedure in place for the sake of evidence gathering or documentation? Is this something that is only done after an arrest and cannot be done beforehand?

3. Is this something that can be refused by the subject in the same way one can refuse a polygraph test, for example?

My apologies if some of these questions are elementary or pretty evident as to the answer but I genuinely have never thought about these questions before. I would appreciate some insight on how this is typically handled.

TIA

bbm
What IF... BM found out that GM was going to leave his daughter an amount specified for her and her alone ?
What IF...GM discovered something off about BM ? Or BM was just paranoid and thought that Suzanne's father knew something-- even if he (GM) didn't ?
So many avenues to explore.
Imo.

I have a few questions for the group that I am curious about:

1. Would LE have photographed BM when they brought him in for questioning? Such as his hands, face, neck, etc. to document any potential signs, lesions or marks as they may relate to a struggle or other activity?

2. What is the standard LE protocol for photographing the spouse of a missing person? Is there such a procedure in place for the sake of evidence gathering or documentation? Is this something that is only done after an arrest and cannot be done beforehand?

3. Is this something that can be refused by the subject in the same way one can refuse a polygraph test, for example?

My apologies if some of these questions are elementary or pretty evident as to the answer but I genuinely have never thought about these questions before. I would appreciate some insight on how this is typically handled.

TIA
Yes, that seems to happen in a lot of cases like this. My guess is that Barry complied, and willingly allowed for his body to be checked for injuries.

If he refused, I’m almost positive they would have needed a warrant for that though.

But if that was the case, why not wait for GM to die, the inheritance to pass through to SM and then kill her? BM would have potentially millions more in that scenario.
This has been brought up a lot -- why go for guardianship so quickly. IMO it was initially because of the pending closing on the IN house, which was due to be closed June 6, 2020. That house was under contract and the only way BM could close on it was to be able to sign off for himself and SM.

As much as that angers most, that was the reality of that one real estate transaction which was entered into in spring 2019 (note: the lease/sales agreement as well as all other documents related to that property can be found on the Register of Deeds site for Hamilton County, Indiana, a publicly accessible site online).

IMO

Again, I don't think BM was controlling the timeline here if it was SM that made it known that she wanted to depart after the June balloon payment.

I think forcing BM into a divorce settlement was the real threat he feared. I don't think BM was thinking about probating GM's estate and any distribution that could be years from now -- considering he's not yet deceased!

MOO

Yes, that seems to happen in a lot of cases like this. My guess is that Barry complied, and willingly allowed for his body to be checked for injuries.

If he refused, I’m almost positive they would have needed a warrant for that though.
A non-testimonial identification order for evidence is used. I don't know if BM consented or not or if LE would still get the order just to cover all their bases even if BM consented, but yes it's standard protocol in criminal case investigations.

IMO

Said another way, if SM stood to inherit a lot of money after her dad passed away and BM was free to do (financially) as he pleased while she was alive, why would he kill her? Why not wait for the inheritance and then murder SM and make out with a lot more money?

something forced his hand.
DBM double post

Last edited:
Because Suzanne had a say and maybe this was a first for her. Also given her family’s extensive real estate holdings perhaps they were aware of the advantages of trust funds. I initially thought BM had the entire week to kill SM and that he was a coward and waited it out until last minute but if a trust was involved perhaps the girls were next in line to acquire either properties and/or finances and BM would likely be a guardian or trustee for the youngest until she is 18 or maybe even older depending. BM would still control the money at least for some time and to some extent. IMO
ETA BM wouldn’t have to share the money or property because he would be guardian or trustee for maybe both but especially the minor daughter. He could spend as he saw fit without repercussion.

Last edited:
BBM
If you take into account verbs such as successfull, intelligent, "takes some brains" etc... Then take into account Ted Bundy.

If you've ever read or watched anything about him, you probably know he was highly intelligent. Bundy's IQ was actually a very impressive 136. For a general frame of reference, he's probably smarter than our doctor.

So intelligence doesn't equate innocence. moo

One thing we have to remember when discussing whether some murderers are smart or dumb is that even someone as smart as Bundy got caught. So that begs the question, do we think all these unsolved murders on WS and thousands more around the world were committed by smart people or dumb people?

The answer to that question is: we have to catch them to find out.

Because Suzanne had a say and maybe this was a first for her. Also given her family’s extensive real estate holdings perhaps they were aware of the advantages of trust funds. I initially thought BM had the entire week to kill SM and that he was a coward and waited it out until last minute but if a trust was involved perhaps the girls were next in line to acquire either properties and/or finances and BM would likely be a guardian or trustee for the youngest until she is 18 or maybe even older depending. BM would still control the money at least for some time and to some extent. IMO
ETA BM wouldn’t have to share the money or property because he would be guardian or trustee for maybe both but especially the minor daughter. He could spend as he saw fit without repercussion.

I doubt her family would allow BM to be anywhere near trust fund assets. If SM was unable to perform duties as trustee, I’d bet her brother would be successor trustee.

Just to piggyback on this question: Prints and DNA would likely not be permitted until an arrest, correct?

Just to piggyback on this question: Prints and DNA would likely not be permitted until an arrest, correct?
Not necessarily. You can get a warrant for that prior to an arrest.

As it applies here, there’s no way Barry didn’t give his DNA and fingerprints if he was asked. He was trying to convince law enforcement that he was innocent.

Not correct. A non-testimonial order allows LE to collect DNA, prints, take pictures, and other related things, even long before an arrest.

source
Thank you and @MassGuy for responding.

If DNA and prints were taken under a non-testimonial order that identifies a specific criminal investigation for which they were taken, could they be used as evidence in relation to another criminal investigation? Say, for example, if that DNA profile or those prints are on record relating to another unsolved crime?

Thank you and @MassGuy for responding.

If DNA and prints were taken under a non-testimonial order that identifies a specific criminal investigation for which they were taken, could they be used as evidence in relation to another criminal investigation? Say, for example, if that DNA profile or those prints are on record relating to another unsolved crime?
We’d need a lawyer to answer this, but my sense would be no.

At this stage you’re trying to rule in or rule out a suspect in an ongoing investigation. I can’t imagine that extends to uploading DNA to CODIS, or fingerprints to AFIS.

I could be wrong, but that seems like it would be taking it too far.

ETA: @riolove77???

Last edited:
We’d need a lawyer to answer this, but my sense would be no.

At this stage you’re trying to rule in or rule out a suspect in an ongoing investigation. I can’t imagine that extends to uploading DNA to CODIS, or fingerprints to AFIS.

I could be wrong, but that seems like it would be taking it too far.

Thank you. I figured that would be the case.

bbm
What IF... BM found out that GM was going to leave his daughter an amount specified for her and her alone ?
What IF...GM discovered something off about BM ? Or BM was just paranoid and thought that Suzanne's father knew something-- even if he (GM) didn't ?
So many avenues to explore.
Imo.

I'm not a lawyer, but regardless of any financial gifts from GM, I think Suzanne's will would be the only legal directive on who inherited her share of their marital estate. Maybe she told BM (or he found out) that she was planning on changing her will to name her children as her benefactors, instead of having everything go to him as her spouse. That would be a significant financial loss for him, and would certainly cause a volatile (deadly?) argument. Just speculating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member