Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #85

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hoping to see some other low-tech options in that article (unless I missed them?) We all *should* know the regime of handwashing, social distancing, etc, by now.

It is so evident that mask-wearing is just not working among too many people in the US - masks are politicised to such an extent that some people are even wearing masks with their political affiliation stamped broadly across their mask!

So I was hoping that other low-tech options were being sought. The rapid 'spit' test indicators used prior to admission at venues, for example. The covid sniffer dogs at airports, as another example.

Seems it is going to be a long wait for a vaccine. Why is no-one going into lateral thinking mode?

I had to google what lateral thinking is. MOO It's what they used to call "thinking outside the box" in my days?

Perhaps due to the fact that the simple proven things like social distancing and masks are the best bang/ low $$$$ for the buck and the simplest to do and affordable to all are not being done? Infectious disease 101?

As was said way back in late January/early February, the single most important thing is to have a strong consistent message from leadership on down in an integrated approach for the country, based on social mores of such country.

Or am I not thinking outside the box either for ways to solve that are available and inexpensive to all?

The United States reported a record of more than 500,000 new cases over the past week .....

The record reflects how quickly the virus is spreading. It took nearly three months for the first 500,000 coronavirus cases to be tallied in the United States ....

U.S. Reports a Record 500,000-Plus Coronavirus Cases Over the Past Week

The virus is blamed for more than 8.6 million confirmed infections and over 225,000 deaths in the US, the highest such totals anywhere in the world.

.... average deaths per day across the country are up 10 per cent over the past two weeks ....

The true number of infections is thought to be far higher because many Americans have not been tested, and studies suggest people can be infected without feeling sick.

US coronavirus deaths surpass 225,000

I know a family of 7 who all contracted it. But only 2 of them were actually tested.

Just got results today that one of my children tested positive. Myself and my other child will be tested Friday.

Blasted virus!

And we have been very cautious with all this. Especially because my youngest is medically fragile.

Darn that virus. Hope you have all the resources that you need. Are you familiar/subscribed to the thread at WS dedicated to folks that have/family/friends that have the virus? brb with link

ETA: WS Members/loved ones who have Coronavirus and testing

Store guard stabbed 27 times for asking women to wear masks

"Two sisters accused of stabbing a West Side Chicago store security guard 27 times with a knife after he asked them to wear face masks and use hand sanitizer have been ordered held without bond.

The alleged attack late Sunday by 21-year-old Jessica Hill and 18-year-old Jayla Hill left the 32-year-old victim hospitalized in critical condition.

Police spokeswoman Karie James said Tuesday an argument that began after the women refused the guard’s request to wear masks became physical when one of the women punched the man.

Jessica Hill allegedly pulled a knife and began stabbing the man, while Jayla Hill held him by his hair."

I had to google what lateral thinking is. MOO It's what they used to call "thinking outside the box" in my days?

Perhaps due to the fact that the simple proven things like social distancing and masks are the best bang/ low $$$$ for the buck and the simplest to do and affordable to all are not being done? Infectious disease 101?

As was said way back in late January/early February, the single most important thing is to have a strong consistent message from leadership on down in an integrated approach for the country, based on social mores of such country.

Or am I not thinking outside the box either for ways to solve that are available and inexpensive to all?

Absolutely, a cohesive plan and message is the best way to get through to people. Without a doubt.

But as that is not an evident thing - and it seems far too late for that to work now anyway - I would have thought that the people who care about the quickly-rising infection rates may be offering other measures (such as the ones I mentioned) to business owners who care.

I just cannot believe that there are not people out there who care a lot about what is happening and would be happy to try other protection/detection measures to protect their customers and workers.

It just seems that the wheels are spinning .. "wear a mask" .. "no, I will not wear a mask" ... "wear a mask" .... "no".

No herd immunity...

A professor who in an experiment infected himself with Covid-19 to become ill with the virus for a second time says hopes for herd immunity are overblown.

Dr Alexander Chepurnov, 69, first caught coronavirus on a skiing trip to France in February.

After recovering back home in Siberia without requiring hospitalisation, he and his team at the Institute of Clinical and Experimental Medicine in Novosibirsk launched a study into coronavirus antibodies.

In the interests of science, Chepurnov became a human guinea pig and deliberately exposed himself to COVID-19 patients wearing no protection, he said.

He said: 'My body's defences fell exactly six months after I got the first infection. The first sign was a sore throat.'

His second infection was far more serious and he was hospitalised.

He said: 'For five days, my temperature remained above 39C. I lost the sense of smell, my taste perception changed.

'On the sixth day of the illness, the CT scan of the lungs was clear, and three days after the scan, the X-ray showed double pneumonia.'

'The virus went away rather quickly. After two weeks it was no longer detected in the nasopharyngeal or in other samples.'

His conclusion based on his own case is that collective or herd immunity is a forlorn hope.

The virus is here to stay, and while vaccines may give immunity this is likely to be temporary.

Coronavirus: Professor infects himself twice, refutes herd immunity | Daily Mail Online

Store guard stabbed 27 times for asking women to wear masks

"Two sisters accused of stabbing a West Side Chicago store security guard 27 times with a knife after he asked them to wear face masks and use hand sanitizer have been ordered held without bond.

The alleged attack late Sunday by 21-year-old Jessica Hill and 18-year-old Jayla Hill left the 32-year-old victim hospitalized in critical condition.

Police spokeswoman Karie James said Tuesday an argument that began after the women refused the guard’s request to wear masks became physical when one of the women punched the man.

Jessica Hill allegedly pulled a knife and began stabbing the man, while Jayla Hill held him by his hair."

Horrible--life in prison if he dies--'

I just saw that the market went down today, so I clicked on the source and then I saw Gilead. So since I've heard of that company I clicked on it to see performance. It is lower today ($57.86) than it was on January 1, 2020 ($65.23). Hmmmmmmmmm... so I did a little more digging into the rabbit hole to educate my ignorance.

Gilead Sciences Benefits From Its Initial Quarter of Remdesivir Sales

Veklury (e.d. trade name for license etc. for remdesivir) will provide a boost for only the next year or two, before Covid-19 vaccines (or herd immunity) end Covid’s pandemic phase.

And as we have seen the ups and downs of so many promising things we have followed.. e.g. convalescent plasma! Hydroxychloriquine! Remdesivir! ... and all now nixed.

Perhaps some may come back to be an early intervention.. but focus is now on those that are in the screwy stages of what happens after the virus is gone and it's effects once in the hospital. -->> Dexamethasone

We'll see how quickly the science moves to day 1-2 intervention analagous to Tamaflu iykwim.

they keep saying in our state that schools and responsible businesses are not the sources of outbreaks- that outbreaks are coming from private parties and gatherings which they cannot control....

If we did adequate tracing this could be proved or disproved. I guess the virus just stays at the door of schools? Our local public schools were openly pleading last week with the parents to have their children wear masks because mask usage was declining. And a local highschool shut down entirely this week for 2 weeks due to so much rampant covid.

I have small children. Thinking they will be super clean and wear their masks consistently for weeks and months on end and not be vectors of disease seems pretty ludicrous to me.

Last edited:
I am sorry to hear this: how old is your child and do you have any idea how your child contracted the virus?
She is 17 years old. Displaying symptoms that are common for her age group. If it wasn't for this year and COVID, we would have just assumed it was a bad cold.....so far, anyway.

No idea how she got it. We have been very limited with direct contacts, wear masks, etc. Might have been from one of my youngest child's therapists. We found out last week that that therapist had had a direct exposure to one of her clients that family was positive. That family did NOT inform the therapist or the company she works for. Grrrrr!

I wonder if those who have recovered from Covid will receive the same vaccine as those who haven't had it.

It depends upon what type of vaccine is used, but probably the same vaccine will be used for both groups. If live or attenuated live vaccine is used then the most concerning group will be those who are positive but asymptomatic for covid at the time of vaccination.

Another COVID-19 Vaccine Joins the Race – This Time, it’s a Live, Weakened Virus | BioSpace

She is 17 years old. Displaying symptoms that are common for her age group. If it wasn't for this year and COVID, we would have just assumed it was a bad cold.....so far, anyway.

No idea how she got it. We have been very limited with direct contacts, wear masks, etc. Might have been from one of my youngest child's therapists. We found out last week that that therapist had had a direct exposure to one of her clients that family was positive. That family did NOT inform the therapist or the company she works for. Grrrrr!

Here for support, Seenit.

I was hoping to see some other low-tech options in that article (unless I missed them?) We all *should* know the regime of handwashing, social distancing, etc, by now.

It is so evident that mask-wearing is just not working among too many people in the US - masks are politicised to such an extent that some people are even wearing masks with their political affiliation stamped broadly across their mask!

So I was hoping that other low-tech options were being sought. The rapid 'spit' test indicators used prior to admission at venues, for example. The covid sniffer dogs at airports, as another example.

Seems it is going to be a long wait for a vaccine. Why is no-one going into lateral thinking mode?

I mean, I guess it's better than not wearing a mask? I can't wear my political mask when I'm working but I can the rest of the time. Out of curiosity, what's wrong with that? Should all masks be green disposable ones? JMO

Just got results today that one of my children tested positive. Myself and my other child will be tested Friday.

Blasted virus!

And we have been very cautious with all this. Especially because my youngest is medically fragile.

My heart goes out to you, and hope all goes well.

I'm sure you will get plenty of info about how to care for your child, but if you'd like some more reading, this is the info published by the Canadian Public Health Agency.

How to care for a person with COVID-19 at home: Advice for caregivers - Canada.ca

Blasted virus!

My heart goes out to you, and hope all goes well.

I'm sure you will get plenty of info about how to care for your child, but if you'd like some more reading, this is the info published by the Canadian Public Health Agency.

How to care for a person with COVID-19 at home: Advice for caregivers - Canada.ca

Thank you providing that, musicaljoke...I was just going for some guidance links, but unfortunately can’t trust some of them anymore due to WH pressure on the CDC and clearly documented revisions - Moo JMO

@Seenit , please let us know if you need help with anything, specifically. You’ve been here in the threads, so the good thing is you have education on your side to help provide guidance, resources.

PS, you are third person that has said to me today that their child has covid.

Sending best wishes for no/minimal symptoms for your child and negative results for you and your family. :hearts:

—-

Eta:
Darn that virus. Hope you have all the resources that you need. Are you familiar/subscribed to the thread at WS dedicated to folks that have/family/friends that have the virus? brb with link

ETA: WS Members/loved ones who have Coronavirus and testing

Good one, Dixie.

Last edited:
I mean, I guess it's better than not wearing a mask? I can't wear my political mask when I'm working but I can the rest of the time. Out of curiosity, what's wrong with that? Should all masks be green disposable ones? JMO

I guess a person would need to step outside of the US to see how odd and polarising and inflating-the-issues that looks.

Not a unity thing. A US flag mask would be a unity thing - if a person wants to make a statement. And many of us think that unity is what the US needs quite badly, right now. If the covid plague is going to be tackled in an effective way.

IMO

No herd immunity...

A professor who in an experiment infected himself with Covid-19 to become ill with the virus for a second time says hopes for herd immunity are overblown.

Dr Alexander Chepurnov, 69, first caught coronavirus on a skiing trip to France in February.

After recovering back home in Siberia without requiring hospitalisation, he and his team at the Institute of Clinical and Experimental Medicine in Novosibirsk launched a study into coronavirus antibodies.

In the interests of science, Chepurnov became a human guinea pig and deliberately exposed himself to COVID-19 patients wearing no protection, he said.

He said: 'My body's defences fell exactly six months after I got the first infection. The first sign was a sore throat.'

His second infection was far more serious and he was hospitalised.

He said: 'For five days, my temperature remained above 39C. I lost the sense of smell, my taste perception changed.

'On the sixth day of the illness, the CT scan of the lungs was clear, and three days after the scan, the X-ray showed double pneumonia.'

'The virus went away rather quickly. After two weeks it was no longer detected in the nasopharyngeal or in other samples.'

His conclusion based on his own case is that collective or herd immunity is a forlorn hope.

The virus is here to stay, and while vaccines may give immunity this is likely to be temporary.

Coronavirus: Professor infects himself twice, refutes herd immunity | Daily Mail Online

Yes, I think that many that have followed Dr. Campbell and Dr. Seheult here have realized it may need an annual shot (a la flu vax), and that it may be something that is endemic vs. wiped out.

As to the masses, another difficult thing that we discuss here that many in our social circles may not know. So far.... 3 things I can think of now that our social circles may not know?

Any others that I would think most all here would agree on, but few amongst folks we know?

1. It is a blood disease that causes most of the issues. It can enter through the body with cells that have the ACE2 receptors such as conjuctiva, lower lungs, gut.. but the BADDDD chit is the secondary cascade issues in the blood which affects long term and multi-organs after the inflammatory stage.
  2. Neutralizing immunity may be very short. Percentage wise, it appears that are indeed occurances of less than one year to be reinfected - yet one year vaccines with COVID combined with flu shots may be most cost effective and the outliers won't push to having a vaccination more frequently than once a year. One shot a year that has BOTH?
  3. It looks like it's going to be endemic.
Those are my 3 that I don't think are commonly known yet we at WS would most likely agree with?

I guess a person would need to step outside of the US to see how odd and polarising and inflating-the-issues that looks.

Not a unity thing. A US flag mask would be a unity thing - if a person wants to make a statement. And many of us think that unity is what the US needs quite badly, right now. If the covid plague is going to be tackled in an effective way.

IMO

We're way past unity. I realize you don't live here, so probably don't realize that, so no blame being thrown your way. But my point still remains, first the US gets attacked for not wearing masks. Then, when we do, it isn't the right mask. We can't win for losing lol. Jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedWriter