Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #85

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a ski mask (for Covid wear) and I did the dish detergent in water wash method - it's supposed to work for glasses too. Method #2 here:

Antifog Home Remedies - Exfog Antifog System.

I have used it on my glasses as well, and it seems to work really well (hard to tell on the ski goggles as they are so tight fitting on my face).

Omg, double twilight zone..holy moly lol.

On a serious note, “eyes” are something I wish we saw more about in the media.

This also goes back to the early days of Dr. LW. He was an ophthalmologist, iirc. There was some reference in those days, and I’ve been meaning to go back.

I also remember in the first days I asked why people in China were wearing goggles, and there was also some discussion about that as well - I wonder if there is anything interesting back in our notes.

Last edited:
I went to Walmart today, mask, gloves, glasses. Who knew I would basically need a hazmat suit for a Walmart trip?! And, it is completely accepted as normal, these days.

I am being even more careful now than ever. No "Covid" fatigue here. Right now, Covid is rampant in our state.

Sadly, the current daily death rate of about 1,000 Americans is based on infections acquired 3-4 (or more) weeks ago. So that was about 50,000 cases per day. Now that we're at around 80,000 per day, we can expect a 50% increase in death rates about 3 weeks from now. The age distribution of cases is roughly the same (although the data isn't published yet, the states involved in the uptick have produced some data).

Unfortunately, I don't think we're done with the rise in cases right now. I dread the news that we've reached 100,000 cases a day, but given what's happening in UK, France, Italy and Germany, it's entirely possible.

That would result in about 2000 deaths per day, or 60,000 Americans per month. We've got to bring those rates down.

Maskless aggro people notwithstanding.
Those stats are quite sobering.........

@GovNedLamont
just announced that Connecticut's daily positivity rate is 6% today. CT hasn't seen a number that high since June 1. "I look hard to find a silver lining, and I can't find it in these numbers," Lamont said. "There's no good news in those numbers."
ElhaQ7YXYAIW7lF

Good ole TN :(
Our local healthcare system did a presser today, citing the highest number of inpatient cases yet.
Ballad Health reports ‘highest inpatient COVID-19 cases to date’ at 181 patients hospitalized | WJHL | Tri-Cities News & Weather

The following is a breakdown of COVID-19 data provided by Ballad Health.

• Total number of COVID-19 patients in the hospital: 181
  • Total number of COVID-19 PUIs (patient under investigation): 12
  • Designated COVID-19 beds available: 18
  • Number of COVID-19 patients in the Intensive Care Unit: 34
  • Number of COVID-19 patients on a ventilator: 14

on another note, a local Walmart just across the state line has closed for deep cleaning, will reopen Saturday morning.
Bristol, Va. Walmart to close until October 31 to ‘thoroughly clean and sanitize the building’ | WJHL | Tri-Cities News & Weather

I know I sound like a broken record - I truly feel like I'm living in the twilight zone

Hi, I know goggles have been talked about at length, but I have to make a quick purchase as I may need to take dog to vet in the near future, etc. If I get some pimpin’ snowboard or ski goggles, anti fog, is that cool? Any problems with that, technically, from a PPE standpoint, etc.? Tia

@10ofRods @jjenny @JaneEyre @dixiegirl1035 @neesaki and anyone else who may have input, thanks again.

Eye Safety - Eye Protection for Infection Control | NIOSH | CDC

This article mentions fogging concerns:
The Eyes are a Gateway for COVID-19: Safety Eyewear Can Help -- Occupational Health & Safety

eta: also, what about motorcycle goggles
Eta2: I’m noticing the antifog snowboard goggles have ventilation slots? That may not protect as well? Still researching, any and all input appreciated.
—-

Rsbm
a local Walmart just across the state line has closed for deep cleaning, will reopen Saturday morning.
Bristol, Va. Walmart to close until October 31 to ‘thoroughly clean and sanitize the building’ | WJHL | Tri-Cities News & Weather

I know I sound like a broken record - I truly feel like I'm living in the twilight zone
Omg, speaking of “deep cleaning”, Jimmy Fallon said the funniest thing the other day:

“Gyms in Newark are now required to close for cleaning every hour for 30 minutes:eek:”...

The only one getting in shape is the janitor.” :D

Last edited:
Maybe. But for that one patient's infections to overtake the number of the other 2 main strains is quite a feat. It would mean that each person s/he gave it to is also more infectious than other people.

Earlier, there were 2 other strains (known to have differences in infectiousness) and one of those consistently infected more than the other. Now a third one is consistently infecting more than the other two.

Covid, in its original form, was a bit more unstable in air, as I understand it. I'm guessing this new one is a descendant of the first European mutant, which lives longer in air...

Oh my gosh. I kept hearing about this Justin Turner person, but didn't understand the terrible details of what he did. What is wrong with people? Betts is just plain stupid, but Turner needs his head examined.

Would you reconsider your opinion if you saw the phylogenetic tree and saw that one person from Spain passed to over 10 folks... so the exponential growth off of an R10 superspreader vs an R1 took different paths 4 iterations down ?

That's a year from now. How will we make it?

I think we might make it through two roads of approach.

Firstly there will be a slow awakening, so people will be more cautious. Enough people are going to pass away ... people who are related to the non-mask wearers and other deniers. Unfortunately, this will mean an even more-massive death toll, and/or very sick people. :(

Then other methods will come into play. There will be accurate fast tests, perhaps some relevant legislation ("you are killing people with your risky actions, off to jail with you"), nose sprays, sniffer dogs, other new things.

I saw a video yesterday where a Coronavirus Task Force member (Admiral Brett Giroir) said that 'more draconian measures' will be taken. But then in the next breath he said that they know how to control the virus, they did it in the Deep South and the Sunbelt - which have escalating numbers - so I kinda dismissed his rhetoric.

We need to remember that the 1918 pandemic lasted for several years. I think that there will be no getting out of this one easily. Much as our quick-fix/convenience-oriented populations would like to think so.

Last edited:
I hope you're feeling well now! I don't know how many times I've locked my car and started into a store, only to realize I'd forgotten a mask and had to go back and get one from my car. You'd think it would be as common as remembering to put on underwear by now, but it's still easy to forget.

Well, I live where there was a huge lockdown (for more than 100 days) and masks are mandatory, so I should remember to wear them.
Even now, I find I am half way down the street, walking my dog, and REALIZE "You forgot your mask".:(
My dog would certainly remember, as her lead is near where my mask supply live.:)

A spike in COVID-19 infections may coincide with an increase in the virus being detected in sewage in Stamford and Bridgeport, according to Yale researchers.
The SARS-CoV-2 ribonucleic acid, known as RNA, concentration in the wastewater from Bridgeport and Stamford spiked in the last week, according to data from the Yale School of Public Health Researchers found that the virus that causes COVID-19, when found in municipal sewage, is a predictor of epidemic infection rates.

Current Report: Connecticut COVID-19 Wastewater Project
High Virus Concentrations Found In Stamford, Bridgeport Sewage

Yes, it travels through human waste as ACE2 receptors line the gut, into poop, and into sewage system. I find the sensitivity for such just incredible though! But it has been reported many places have monitored and written papers.

IIRC Dr. Seheult and Dr. Campbell first spoke about this in April, or was it May that it might be used as a future predictor/monitoring tool? And there have been a studies early on which were posted on threads so it indeed did later play out that yes, it is a monitoring tool.

Again, incredible to me!

In Melbourne, after a huge, long lockdown, the public swarmed on kmart stores (the first day back), and now they have an online booking system to enter, when times are available.
I need to buy candles there today, (not sure when) and luckily the centre near me, does not need booking, as they previously, had all the spots for clients etc on the floors, even at the entry points, and client numbers are counted, as in several other retail places.

Big change comes to Kmart in Melbourne

One thing Melburnians can’t wait to do other than drink beer is shop at Kmart now restrictions have lifted, but shopping will be a little different.

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — Two people who attended President Donald Trump's rally last week in Gastonia, North Carolina, have tested positive for the coronavirus, according to an announcement from the Gaston County Department of Health and Human Services on Thursday.

“These cases are not thought to be an indication of spread from the rally at this time, but rather two independent cases among individuals who were in attendance,” the department said in a statement.

The county health department recommends anyone who attended the president’s Oct. 21 rally to assess their own risk, monitor for symptoms and get tested if necessary.

It said it has contacted other locations the two individuals have been to and is working to notify close contacts of the infected rallygoers. The information is being publicly released because the department is unable to directly inform the thousands of attendees.

Two attendees at Trump North Carolina rally get COVID-19

We need to remember that the 1918 pandemic lasted for several years. I think that there will be no getting out of this one easily. Much as our quick-fix/convenience-oriented populations would like to think so.

This struck a chord. I think when it started, and there were comparisons with the 1918 pandemic, most people (me included) thought that with technological and medical advancement we'd have this virus kicked in the butt much faster. We have instant communication, vast scientific progress over the century, and much improved hospital facilities and treatments. Yet we have evolved into the 'quick fix' generation you mentioned, and people just can't accept it could be many more months until it's anywhere near over. And it IS a massive bloody inconvenience like it was a hundred years ago - we're just not used to dealing with that any more!

<RSBM>

The county health department recommends anyone who attended the president’s Oct. 21 rally to assess their own risk, monitor for symptoms and get tested if necessary.

It said it has contacted other locations the two individuals have been to and is working to notify close contacts of the infected rallygoers. The information is being publicly released because the department is unable to directly inform the thousands of attendees.

Two attendees at Trump North Carolina rally get COVID-19

BBM This is the part that makes little sense to me. "Get tested if necessary". We test all people that *could* have contracted the virus by being in the same place at the same time as a covid-positive person.

This is the way we avoid - as much as we can - asymptomatic people walking around and spreading the virus.

This struck a chord. I think when it started, and there were comparisons with the 1918 pandemic, most people (me included) thought that with technological and medical advancement we'd have this virus kicked in the butt much faster. We have instant communication, vast scientific progress over the century, and much improved hospital facilities and treatments. Yet we have evolved into the 'quick fix' generation you mentioned, and people just can't accept it could be many more months until it's anywhere near over. And it IS a massive bloody inconvenience like it was a hundred years ago - we're just not used to dealing with that any more!

Interesting to look back at the way things were during the 1918 pandemic, to get it under control - and it still took several years.

Closing schools and places of public amusement
Enforcing “no-spitting” ordinances
Encouraging people to use handkerchiefs or disposable tissues
Requiring people to wear masks in public

As one Red Cross PSA put it, “the man or woman or child who will not wear a mask now is a dangerous slacker.”
'Mask Slackers' Faced Enforcement, Punishment - Common punishments were fines, prison sentences and having your name printed in the paper.

“Today we can look back and see that they flattened the curve and the communities that did enforce much stricter regulations and for a longer period of time and began earlier had lower death rates”

When Mask-Wearing Rules in the 1918 Pandemic Faced Resistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member