CA CA - Sydney “Syd” West, 19, University of CA student, San Francisco, 30 Sept 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
<RSBM>

She had her backpack for a period of time as well, that’s how she got around the city.

Suggesting that she may have been seen without a backpack on the GGB, or may have changed into either black leggings or shorts by the time she was last seen on the Bridge.

I wonder how long of a time period they are speaking of? How long was Syd "getting around the city"? Did she start off from her original point at 10pm, 2am, 5am? Where around the city?

The reason that this interests me is that it might go somewhat to Syd's frame of mind in possible interactions that she may have had with others. Possible conversations that might indicate what her plans were. As in 'meeting a friend', 'going on a trip', 'have a job prospect' ... or whatever clue an interaction may give.

Her parents did say that they have tips that have been followed up. Hopefully there are tips from when Syd was wearing shorts, and from when she was wearing leggings. Or are these sightings from CCTV in various places?

At this point I think it's highly unlikely she is alive. I think she jumped.

Syd's parents seem to have hope that she didn't.
Although it may be that they just want some kind of definite resolution.

I have seen cameras (on the internet) leading onto the bridge on one side. I wonder if there are cameras leading off the bridge on the other side.
Although their use may be limited if it was a thick fog.

Last edited:
Why did it take a month for this information to come out? I assume she would’ve been picked up by video for LE to have a confirmed last sighting on the GGB, and the footage from that morning would not have taken more than a day to review.

Why did it take a month for this information to come out? I assume she would’ve been picked up by video for LE to have a confirmed last sighting on the GGB, and the footage from that morning would not have taken more than a day to review.
Good question. Maybe this new piece of information came from a tip? Still seems like a long time though...

If there was no video/photos at the bridge, it would seem that it is possible that she is still alive somewhere. The images from the bridge indicate that she went on the bridge and didn't leave by walkway. The time frame is short (15 min) of when she was last seen. There appear to be no bad actors that have been forwarded. It also seems that being in the park in the early morning was not a pattern nor is there evidence that others bothered/attacked her, which would indicate that there was no accident/crime committed.

She seems like a young woman who was trying to find her way in the world during a very difficult time. Her decision to take a gap year seems like it released a pressure valve. She withdrew from school which seems to indicate that she was not ready or unable to find ways to maintain herself through the semester.

Early reports about Syd were that she had been struggling with depression. We don't know some key facts:

Was she in therapy?
Was she medicated?
Is there a history of self harm?
What was her local support system like? Did she use the supports?

My fear is that she self-harmed and is no longer with us. I would love to be wrong but I don't see evidence of a crime or determination/pattern to cut all ties with family or friends. Even LEO actions do not seem to be resource heavy in terms of finding her.

Where are you, Syd? Your family and friends love you!

Parents of San Francisco woman who went missing release new video:
The video shows new photographs of West. For the most part the details of the case are the same. Her father shed some new light on the situation when he said she went missing from the Golden Gate Bridge between 6:45 a.m. and 7 a.m.

Last edited:
I’ve been following this case and it seems to me the parents are intentionally withholding major information. They are not doing live interviews. It appears they don’t want to put themselves in the position of having to answer questions. Most all information is coming to the public via very controlled short videos. I think Syd left a note behind, or communicated her intentions to someone, in some way, and the family wants to keep this information private. At first I thought she ran away. But too often members of her family, especially in the beginning, referred to her in the past tense, which leads to different assumptions. I hope she's okay, and just hiding out somewhere. The family is holding on to hope, and I pray for them. It’s such a sad, heartbreaking situation.

I’ve been following this case and it seems to me the parents are intentionally withholding major information. They are not doing live interviews. It appears they don’t want to put themselves in the position of having to answer questions. Most all information is coming to the public via very controlled short videos. I think Syd left a note behind, or communicated her intentions to someone, in some way, and the family wants to keep this information private. At first I thought she ran away. But too often members of her family, especially in the beginning, referred to her in the past tense, which leads to different assumptions. I hope she's okay, and just hiding out somewhere. The family is holding on to hope, and I pray for them. It’s such a sad, heartbreaking situation.

In regard to the family being so careful and limited with information, there were reports of a depression history. We can't underestimate the issues that face families where mental illness is present. There is a stigma to mental illness and suicide that is placed on families or surviving families. There can be a sense of guilt or shame that emanates from internal conflicts and external factors. I have seen mental illness and suicides become the dark family secret too many times. We have yet to destigmatize these issues which cut across all lines of our society.

We may never have a clear answer as to what Syd was thinking or what path she took. I wish her and her family peace.

In regard to the family being so careful and limited with information, there were reports of a depression history. We can't underestimate the issues that face families where mental illness is present. There is a stigma to mental illness and suicide that is placed on families or surviving families.

Yes, this is what I was thinking as well. They might also want to protect their daughter's privacy regarding medical/mental health issues. It helps explain why they aren't doing interviews.

Agreed -- I'm also perplexed by the timing of this new information about the bridge sighting. It must have been a new tip that just came in. Otherwise, why not release this information a month ago? Neither the family nor the police have ever seemed to want the public's help, leading many of us to the conclusion that they believe she jumped from the get go so I don't understand why they wouldn't have released this information previously if they had it.

The first video seemed so scripted and was a plea to Sydney to come home. This one seems less so and is a plea to the public for help. I wonder what changed? Maybe they initially thought she ran off but now think self harm and worry they won't get closure.

Hoping for the best possible outcome for this girl who has so much potential and her family who deserves answers.

JMO

I’ve been skeptical of the idea that Syd ran away. She was already clear on the other side of the country from her parents - that’s a long leash. She seemed to have resources (i.e., money, access to health care, etc) and relatively few responsibilities. Whatever was weighing her down was not going to go away if she ran, and I think she knew that.

Is it unusual for the first detail (subsequent to the initial report) to come nearly a month after her disappearance?

I don't like the sound of this.

Praying she is found soon.

JMVHO.

ETA: How heavy is traffic at that time on the bridge? I know a lot of people are working from home, but surely there is some traffic at 7:45 a.m.

I don't know about the GGB in specific but going across the Bay Bridge at 6:45AM was a total nightmare for me (cars literally not even moving). Seems like it would be the same if not worse for GGB although the fog there is pretty infamous. Still though it seems weird to jump on a bridge full of cars that might be moving at a snail's pace?

I don't know about the GGB in specific but going across the Bay Bridge at 6:45AM was a total nightmare for me (cars literally not even moving). Seems like it would be the same if not worse for GGB although the fog there is pretty infamous. Still though it seems weird to jump on a bridge full of cars that might be moving at a snail's pace?
The incoming AM commute traffic from Marin to SF is on the side of the bridge that is the other side away from the pedestrian walkway. The outbound PM commute side is the one next to the pedestrian sidewalk which is usually empty or near empty during the early morning hours. Also traffic is light overall because many SF companies have employees working from home.

Alsohere is an article from the Patch: Missing Ex-Cal Student Last Seen On Golden Gate Bridge

Syd's parents seem to have hope that she didn't.
Although it may be that they just want some kind of definite resolution.

I have seen cameras (on the internet) leading onto the bridge on one side. I wonder if there are cameras leading off the bridge on the other side.
Although their use may be limited if it was a thick fog.

I think there are cameras on both sides, but there are certainly cameras on the side where Crissy Field is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23