Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tonight's dinner was use-up-the-leftover-odds-and-ends-in-the-fridge soup. I used some leftover shredded beef from beef short ribs, green beans, carrots, and rice. I used Better Than Bouillon (Roasted Beef) to make a broth. I chopped up onion and mushrooms and sautéed them in a little olive oil, then added them to the soup. Also some tomato and garlic.

We enjoyed the soup with a Trader Joe's ciabatta roll split between us. It was good! DH was happy that cleanup was pretty easy.

Chipotles go great with everything, and are so good when things went wrong while cooking. We use to pour some chipotle and “fix” any dish that didn’t turned out as it should, and we said “ya lo chipotleé”. It means, it’s not what I intended, but it will taste good now :)

And speaking of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, I got a lot of good tips from this article:

Everything You Can Do With a Can of Chipotles in Adobo

They are great in chili and refried beans, and also to mix with mayo for sandwiches.

I admit, I had to look up "colcannon" and that sounds absolutely delish!
Yes, basically mashed potato and cooked cabbage mixed together with butter, black pepper and maybe a dash of cream. Just because it wasnt calorific enough, I put it in a dish in the oven with grated cheese on top while I made the gravy.

I don't get alerts and have never used "watched threads" feature. When I log in, I click on "My Content" and can see my posts starting with most recent.

Hmmm, I wonder what the difference is between "watched threads" vs. "my content"... I'll have to search to see if it's a better way to enter. This is the view I get. It shows also the most recent.

watchedthread.JPG

Watchedthreads.JPG

Last edited:
Yes, basically mashed potato and cooked cabbage mixed together with butter, black pepper and maybe a dash of cream. Just because it wasnt calorific enough, I put it in a dish in the oven with grated cheese on top while I made the gravy.
I love colcannon! I make mine with kale instead of cabbage. I will have to try the grated cheese on top next time.

We’re having Pan de Muerto and chocolate tonight. Bead of the Dead, sounds freaky, but doesn’t have anything dea in it.
pits just sweet bread baked and offered in altars for those you love and are long gone, and that will come home ( not really, they are resting in peace) for just one night on Nov 2, la Noche de Muertos.

Its name came from those little “bones” atop, made from the same dough.

It’s just flour, butter, milk, eggs, sugar, anise seeds, orange zest and some orange juice. It’s soft, sweet and light, and so good to celebrate life, family and eternal love.
Anyways, we are saving some Pan de Muertos to offer that night, and will be thinking too n all yours dearly departed, guys. With all due respect.

Attachments

• 01586FE6-1A05-48D3-BCBA-5ADDA576DDEF.jpeg
    01586FE6-1A05-48D3-BCBA-5ADDA576DDEF.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
We’re having Pan de Muerto and chocolate tonight. Bead of the Dead, sounds freaky, but doesn’t have anything dea in it.
pits just sweet bread baked and offered in altars for those you love and are long gone, and that will come home ( not really, they are resting in peace) for just one night on Nov 2, la Noche de Muertos.

Its name came from those little “bones” atop, made from the same dough.

It’s just flour, butter, milk, eggs, sugar, anise seeds, orange zest and some orange juice. It’s soft, sweet and light, and so good to celebrate life, family and eternal love.
Anyways, we are saving some Pan de Muertos to offer that night, and will be thinking too n all yours dearly departed, guys. With all due respect.

Thanks for posting this. The Pan de Muerto sounds delicious and La Noche de Muertos is a wonderful way to honor and remember loved ones who have passed on.

In our church, this Sunday, Nov. 1, is All Saints Sunday. We always have a ceremony naming those who have died during the past year. This year of Covid, our services are not in person--they are prerecorded and we view them online Sunday morning.

Hmmm, I wonder what the difference is between "watched threads" vs. "my content"... I'll have to search to see if it's a better way to enter. This is the view I get. It shows also the most recent...

When you sign in, click your user name on the orange banner above your avatar photo. Click on "Your Content" on your profile page. You can see your posts from most recent and previous for several pages. I have never subscribed to "watched threads" or gotten alerts. I don't visit threads unless I've participated in the discussion.

I made Colcannon with kale last St. Patrick's Day. Added several strips of crumbled cooked bacon. Awesome!

I just love corned beef, speaking of St. Patrick's Day. Just yesterday I made a pot of boiled corned beef with potatoes and carrots. Since I live alone, I asked an older/isolating mostly couple if they wanted 1/3 as I live alone and all was hot food and dropped it at their doorstep. (we exchange hot meals about once every 2 weeks) Yummy yummy meal!

When you sign in, click your user name on the orange banner above your avatar photo. Click on "Your Content" on your profile page. You can see your posts from most recent and previous for several pages. I have never subscribed to "watched threads" or gotten alerts. I don't visit threads unless I've participated in the discussion.

Gotcha! Then the unread watched threads entry https://www.websleuths.com/forums/watched/threads may also give you what you want as if/when you make any contribution to a thread discussion, it automatically makes that thread a "watched thread" without having to click to make it a watched thread (it shows the first 20, but if you click on the bottom it goes on for pages and pages and pages just like the "your content" page has). I like it because when I right click on the green dot to the left of the thread title, it takes me to my last unread post without searching! I usually click on the dot and open in a new tab as I usually open about 5 or 6 new tabs so I don't have to go backwards and allows me to do all at once. (Very helpful when you are following about 30 threads lol, especially years old cases)

But if what you are doing works for you... stick with it as we all have our preferences. Thanks for giving another option to check out.

Last edited:
A small tribute to our Irish friends here tonight. Sausages, colcannon and onion gravy. It won't win any diet prizes, but lovely for a chilly autumn night.
Comfort food fit for a lockdown HKP! Have you tried champ? If you're a colcannon fan, you'll probably love champ too. It's more popular in Northern Ireland (where my mother is from - she just adores it. Reminds her of her childhood.) Instead of the cabbage you use spring onions, although it was originally made with nettles! I'm vegan but it's easy enough to veganise with plant milk and a dairy-free spread.
Here's a recipe: Champ recipe - BBC Good Food

Have never liked cornedbeef :confused:
So when dh makes the St Paddys day cornedbeefandcabbage I just use my fork to mush up a big pile of potatoes and carrots and cabbage with a hunk of butter mmmm

another vote for breakfast for dinner. Pancakes!! And sausage (and eggs and home fries)

I just love corned beef, speaking of St. Patrick's Day. Just yesterday I made a pot of boiled corned beef with potatoes and carrots. Since I live alone, I asked an older/isolating mostly couple if they wanted 1/3 as I live alone and all was hot food and dropped it at their doorstep. (we exchange hot meals about once every 2 weeks) Yummy yummy meal!
I love corned beef too! So much so that when it's on sale for St Paddy's day I buy 4! I keep them in my extra freezer in the garage and we have them throughout the year. Sometimes for Rueben sandwiches which we love!

Do you ever click on "new posts" to see new threads or most recently active threads? I go to "watched threads" most of the time and then check "new posts" occasionally to see what I'm missing. I often read threads without making comments (i.e., lurk).

Here is my recipe for Colcannon.

• 4 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
  • Salt and pepper
  • 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, plus more for serving on top
  • 3 cups of chopped kale,
  • 3 green onions (green and white part) minced (about 1/2 cup)
  • 1 cup milk or cream

• Boil the potatoes, adding 1 tbsp salt to the water, until fork-tender.

Drain in a colander.

In the same pot, melt the butter and then add the kale.

Cook the kale for 3-4 minutes, or until wilted and have given off some of their water.

Add the green onions and cook 1 minute more.

Mix the potatoes with milk or cream and add to the kale. Reduce the heat to medium.

Use a fork or potato masher and mash the potatoes, mixing up with the kale.

Add salt and pepper to taste and serve hot, with extra butter slices on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissawilkinson44