Sean Connery, Scottish actor who played James Bond, dies at 90

BetteDavisEyes

Fasten your seatbelts...
Reaction score
Sean Connery, Scottish actor who served tour of duty as James Bond, dies at 90

Scottish actor played 007 in first six installments of Bond franchise, finally won an Oscar for "The Untouchables."

Sean Connery, the Scottish actor who earned his license to thrill as the original on-screen James Bond and then spent the rest of his career trying to make audiences forget that role, died Saturday, the official James Bond Twitter account confirmed.

He was 90...

'James Bond' actor Sean Connery dies aged 90 | Toronto Sun
people-connery-e1604149079865.jpg

British actor Sean Connery arrives for the premiere of his latest film 'The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen', at the Odeon, Leicester Square, London, September 29, 2003. Photo by Stringer . /REUTERS

''Connery was raised in near poverty in the slums of Edinburgh and worked as a coffin polisher, milkman and lifeguard before his bodybuilding hobby helped launch an acting career that made him one of the world’s biggest stars.

“Sean was a global legend but, first and foremost, he was a patriotic and proud Scot,” said Scottish First Minster Nicola Sturgeon.''

''Connery was an ardent supporter of Scotland’s independence and had the words “Scotland Forever” tattooed on his arm while serving in the Royal Navy. When he was knighted at the age of 69 by Britain’s Queen Elizabeth in 2000 at Holyrood Palace in Edinburgh, he wore full Scottish dress including the green-and-black plaid kilt of his mother’s MacLeod clan.''

Sean Connery: James Bond actor dies aged 90
''Daniel Craig, the current James Bond, said Sir Sean was "one of the true greats of cinema".

"Sir Sean Connery will be remembered as Bond and so much more," he said.

"He defined an era and a style. The wit and charm he portrayed on screen could be measured in mega watts; he helped create the modern blockbuster.

"He will continue to influence actors and film-makers alike for years to come. My thoughts are with his family and loved ones."

In reference to Sir Sean's love of the game, he added: "Wherever he is, I hope there is a golf course."

Dame Shirley Bassey, who sang the themes to three Bond films including Goldfinger, paid tribute saying: "I'm incredibly saddened to hear of Sean's passing. My thoughts are with his family. He was a wonderful person, a true gentleman and we will be forever connected by Bond."

Last edited:
He was the 'besht' Bond and in my opinion got better looking as he aged.

RIP Dr. Jones (my favorite role)

Aside from all his 007 movies, my favorite role of his was The Untouchables. His "Chicago Way" speech was great. I've used that phrase in certain difficult situations: "What are you prepared to do?" IOW, how badly do you want to accomplish something important? His death scene in that movie was so sad.

Aside from all his 007 movies, my favorite role of his was The Untouchables. His "Chicago Way" speech was great. I've used that phrase in certain difficult situations: "What are you prepared to do?" IOW, how badly do you want to accomplish something important? His death scene in that movie was so sad...

My favorite Sean Connery performance is in Alfred Hitchcock's Marnie: Marnie (1964) - IMDb

I'm sure that TCM will feature a full day of Sean Connery films like they honor other recently deceased stars. I'll keep checking the TCM website and share details when available.

My favorite Sean Connery performance is in Alfred Hitchcock's Marnie: Marnie (1964) - IMDb

I'm sure that TCM will feature a full day of Sean Connery films like they honor other recently deceased stars. I'll keep checking the TCM website and share details when available.

Thanks for the reminder. I want to watch that again, haven't seen it in many years. I assume TCM will do a marathon of his movies sometime soon.

Turner Classic Movies pays tribute to Sean Connery on Wednesday, November 25 with the following festival of films. This program will replace the previously scheduled movies for that day so please take note.

The new schedule for Wednesday, November 25 will be:

8:00 PM Thunderball (1965)
10:30 PM You Only Live Twice (1967)
12:45 AM Marnie (1964)
3:15 AM The Hill (1965)
5:30 AM The Man Who Would Be King (1975)

TCM Remembers Sean Connery - 11/25

I've had an awakening! I didn't realise Alfred Hitchcock is a comedian. This was great!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard
Back