Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #86

Status
Not open for further replies.
After mandatory masks, a big lockdown for >100 days, perhaps masks are next to go.
You know, I'll miss my feeling of security, when that happens.:(
End of masks flagged as Victoria records COVID-free weekend

End of masks flagged as Victoria records COVID-free weekend

Lara Pearce

2 hrs ago
https://www.msn.com/en-au/money/oth...vid-hit-high-street/ar-BB1azPpG?ocid=msedgdhp
There could be an easing of rules on wearing masks in Victoria, as the state recorded its second day running with no new coronavirus infections.

No more lives were lost to coronavirus in the state today.

Victorian Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton flagged a potential rolling back of mandatory mask requirements, noting that this would be a staged process.

Attachments

• upload_2020-11-1_14-43-23.png
    upload_2020-11-1_14-43-23.png
    68 bytes · Views: 1
I read something really true today.

If the roles were reversed and it was young people losing their lives to Covid 19, parents and grandparents would do absolutely everything it took to protect the younger generation.

eta: note Dr. Gottlieb’s assessment of vaccine distribution to the general population is estimated at the second to early third quarter of next year, which is exactly the same as what Dr. Swaminathan and (Dr. Bruce Aylward, iirc) said wrt Covax facility.

eta2: note to check on what Dr. Osterholm is sayin these days

Last edited:
I read something really true today.

If the roles were reversed and it was young people losing their lives to Covid 19, parents and grandparents would do absolutely everything it took to protect the younger generation.
Surprisingly the age range of people I see in public not wearing masks are 50s - 70s.

But who is he insinuating is making these Covid death payments, and why would he not be in control of that situation if it were happening? Isn’t he in charge?

Or does he knows it’s not true but wants his followers to believe it, which would be tantamount to spreading Fake News?

Sorry to ask daft questions, but I’m struggling to get my head round the agenda of this one.
You're not the only one.

Checking in on Dr.O:

“ Dr. Osterholm says from a scientific standpoint, herd immunity “has the value of pixie dust”“

https://youtu.be/XKME--EId7A

Osterholm: 'Pixie dust and pseudo science' for White House to pursue herd immunity
October 18, 2020

Osterholm echoes WHO warning against herd immunity
Oct. 14, 2020

"”Herd immunity has been universally discredited by anyone with credibility," he said. "We'll continue to hear this because there are those who believe the pandemic isn't real to begin with and there are those who are just looking to say, 'Well I'm tired with this pandemic, what else can we do?" he said.“

Top U of M epidemiologist: Tighter social restrictions needed to stop COVID-19 surge in Minnesota
Oct. 29, 2020

“After Minnesota hit a record number of new COVID-19 cases Thursday, University of Minnesota infectious disease expert Dr. Michael Osterholm told 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS the state should consider tighter social restrictions "sooner rather than later."

"It's the old adage, 'You can pay me now, or pay me later,' and right now paying now, in the long run, will pay off," Osterholm said. "The only way to contain this virus is by separating people from each other as much as possible, and that would mean taking a look at more restrictions, if needed."“

Infectious Disease Expert Warns of "Dark Days" Ahead
Oct. 26

“Doctor Michael Osterholm, who directs the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota, says that the public should brace for more troubling reports based on various trends.

"I think we are about to enter the darkest days of the pandemic, not only here in Minnesota, but throughout the entire country. A combination of pandemic fatigue, pandemic anger, and then just the increased frequency of indoor air exposures."”

Dr. Michael Osterholm (‘75) gives Farwell Distinguished Lecture
Oct. 24, 2020

Video / Dr. Michael Osterholm predicts dark days ahead for coronavirus cases
Dr. Osterholm predicts in the coming weeks we will see a spike in case numbers.
Oct. 22, 2020

Top infectious-disease expert says 'the next 6 to 12 weeks are going to be the darkest of the entire pandemic'
Oct. 19, 2020

With Recent Local COVID Surge, Experts Say It's Time To Recommit To Life-Saving Precautions
Oct.17, 2020

“Dr. Michael Osterholm from the University of Minnesota says now is not the time to let up.

“We’re still largely in the third maybe the top of the fourth inning with this virus,” Osterholm said.

He says recent outbreaks in workplaces and teen sporting events indicate life returning to as we knew it, but that has consequences.

And there’s plenty of temptation to come this year – including holidays.

“The tradition is to come together if you really love your family this year thats what you won’t do,” Osterholm said. “This is our COVID year and we have just got to get on with understanding that.”“

[...]

““Every little bit helps and most importantly that little bit could be the life that you save,” Osterholm said.“
—-

Osterholm:
OSTERHOLM: "WE'RE GOING TO BE LIVING IN A COVID WORLD FOR AWHILE"
Oct.15, 2020

“He cautioned the Luther College audience to not rely on having a vaccine save us. Osterholm says predictions are that any vaccine would be 50 percent to 60 percent effective--and that only 50 percent to 60 percent of the population will take the vaccine. That would mean coverage of only 25 percent to 36 percent of the population--and epidemiologists say the rate should be around 60 percent of the population to be totally effective.

"We have a lot of work to be done and it won't be done soon," says Osterholm.“

Osterholm blasts Trump breaking isolation to visit supporters as 'very dangerous'
Oct.5, 2020

““If I had to pick the worst-case scenario to try to transmit the virus to somebody in an intentional basis, I would plan exactly what they did,” Osterholm told Dave Lee on the WCCO Morning News, adding that he’s not alleging any kind of devious plot to purposely sicken secret service agents.

“I don’t care if that person in the vehicle is a Democrat or a Republican or a Martian,” said Osterholm. “It doesn’t matter to me. That was a very dangerous move.”“

COVID Contact Tracing Is Crucial After Trump's Minnesota Visit
Oct.2, 2020

““Trying to protect the president with the program they had using these antigen tests was a lot like giving the secret service squirt guns and telling them to protect him against assassins,” he said.

Now he says amidst a debate and campaign travels, the challenge is to find out who all was exposed – and negative test results don’t mean people are positively OK.

“There is no get out of jail free card,” he said. “You could test negative today, tomorrow and the following day and then on day five, six or seven become positive and actually become infectious.”“

[...]

BBM:
“Dr. Osterholm recommends anyone who attended Trump festivities in Minnesota to get a nasal swab COVID test about five days out and to quarantine.
—-

“Finding light at the end of the tunnel”
Oct. 29

“Failure is not an option”
1 week ago

Q&A:
2 weeks ago

(*more videos on Dr. O’s YouTube channel)

Last edited:
You don’t think medicare is paying more for covid patients? I believe they are.

Of course medicare is paying more for Covid patients, as well they should, considering the complexity of their care. But to say that doctors and hospitals are inflating the number of Covid cases they treat just so they can get more money? That assertion is evil and I see it all.the.time on FB comments on news articles. These are the same people who have minimized the severity of the coronavirus from the beginning...and guess who that includes?! :mad:
IMO MOO JMO

Rsbm
I can't even go to any services at church now because one of our handful of choir members admitted he never wears a mask anywhere. Why? His doctor said it's bad for him and will raise his CO2. It might not be a big deal for others but for me not going for months or years because others are selfish jerks who can't be bothered to wear a mask because they embrace every conspiracy theory that works it's way through social media is just enraging.

If I had this medical issue where I couldn’t wear a mask because the doctor says it’s raises my CO2, then out of courtesy to others, I would have to forego church. I would not:

a) want to put others at risk
b) make others uncomfortable
c) make it where others wouldn’t go to church because of me

Well, this is good news. It means that things are ramping up. Not just for us, but remember we are going to supply a bunch of other countries in our zone of the world as well.

Australia is set to start manufacturing a COVID-19 vaccine this month as the government reveals its vaccine rollout plan.

Health Minister Greg Hunt told The Herald Sun the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine was likely to begin being manufactured by vaccine manufacturer CSL in November.

Hunt said the government is also set to buy into two additional COVID-19 vaccines, meaning Australians will have access to four types of vaccines.

The health minister also revealed healthcare workers, including doctors, nurses and aged care workers, and those who are most vulnerable could begin receiving the vaccine from March.

Next will be what the government deems “essential workers” but could include transport workers and teachers.

All other Australians could receive the jab in the months after, to the end of 2021 - around the same time the government hopes to re-open international borders.

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/heal...vaccine-as-rollout-plan-is-revealed-c-1496567

Last edited:
He's trying to imply they have a financial motive to inflate the numbers, which makes him look bad.

Under the CARES Act, money was allotted to pay hospitals and other care services through Medicare if a patient was listed as having covid.

That's not up for discussion, that's a fact. The only question is whether doctors are misdiagnosing patients to get the money, and they probably (at least on a large scale) are not.

I've previously shared what's happening in Hospice, however, because my sister is a national Hospice nurse, and they've been instructed to list covid as the cause of death (if the patient tests positive) even if that's not the underlying disease that started the terminal "chain of events."

This is a different way of coding for them. Normally, when a patient goes on Hospice, it's because a doctor has determined that patient has less than 6 months to live based on the fact the person has something like Stage 4 cancer or the end-stage of congestive heart failure.

My sister explained to me that before covid, those patients would very often catch a cold or flu, which would put them over the edge--they simply have no resistance anymore to anything. But, their deaths would not be coded as cold or flu, but rather with the disease that started the "chain of events." That would be the disease the doctor first used to put them on Hospice.

So while, I don't think a lot of doctors are going to misdiagnose, anytime something is incentivized, it's going to have an effect.

A lot of hospitals are struggling just to keep their doors open, so it's not beyond the pale for hospital administrators to encourage doctors to choose covid as a cause of death even if it was just a "contributing" factor.

Plus, keep in mind that "presumable" deaths--deaths of people who did not test positive but had respiratory symptoms--have been added to the covid death count so we really have NO IDEA what the actual count is. And, we won't--not until years from now when researchers tackle the task of going back over all the documentation and separating covid as the "underlying cause" from covid as a "contributing factor" when there was a different underlying cause.

I'm not condoning the way Trump said it -- because I'm not sure he understands how it's really working, but a grain of truth lies within his claim.

Well, this is good news. It means that things are ramping up. Not just for us, but remember we are going to supply a bunch of other countries in our zone of the world as well.

Australia is set to start manufacturing a COVID-19 vaccine this month as the government reveals its vaccine rollout plan.

Health Minister Greg Hunt told The Herald Sun the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine was likely to begin being manufactured by vaccine manufacturer CSL in November.

Hunt said the government is also set to buy into two additional COVID-19 vaccines, meaning Australians will have access to four types of vaccines.

The health minister also revealed healthcare workers, including doctors, nurses and aged care workers, and those who are most vulnerable could begin receiving the vaccine from March.

Next will be what the government deems “essential workers” but could include transport workers and teachers.

All other Australians could receive the jab in the months after, to the end of 2021 - around the same time the government hopes to re-open international borders.

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/heal...vaccine-as-rollout-plan-is-revealed-c-1496567

That's good news! I wonder if we'll have to take a vaccine on a yearly basis in order to keep the virus at bay? Or, will it be a one-and-done thing?

Covid Ravages Rural America, Sweeping Through Montana’s Plains

At this point, my assumption is that Covid is pervasive in the community. I am literally doing nothing, and going nowhere. (Although, I did go skiing today). Skiing is the ultimate social distancing/mask sport.

And, it's probably good for your mental health, too. I live on 80 acres, so I regularly take off for long solitary walks with my dogs or saddle a horse and go for a ride. I can't ski worth a toot, but it sounds like a good activity during these times.

This is pretty cool. After 111 days of lockdown, people of faith were once again allowed to gather in churches, mosques and Synagogues here in Melbourne. (10 indoors, 20 outdoors, plus one faith leader). At the Eastern Hill Anglican Church they gathered in the church car park. A parishioner there found an old photo from 1919, of parishioners gathered in the very same car park during the Spanish Flu pandemic.

'We've been here before': Outdoor services held in Melbourne echo Spanish flu pandemic

You don’t think medicare is paying more for covid patients? I believe they are.

More than what? It might help if you understand how payments are made.

There is no predetermined or lump sum amount paid to hospitals for diagnosing and treating COVID-19 patients. The amounts would depend on a variety of factors driven by the needs of each patient and the costs of medical care in different regions. One COVID-19 patient may be hospitalized for weeks, another for just a few days. Treatment needs differ from one case to the next.

You can rest assured, that doctors are not making up treatments in order to bill medicare.
You could ask, where did this conspiracy theory start? Why, when accurate information is so critical to how the pandemic is handled, are some people believing this rumour which is so obviously false?

The epic battle against coronavirus misinformation and conspiracy theories

Last edited:
More than what? It might help if you understand how payments are made.

There is no predetermined or lump sum amount paid to hospitals for diagnosing and treating COVID-19 patients. The amounts would depend on a variety of factors driven by the needs of each patient and the costs of medical care in different regions. One COVID-19 patient may be hospitalized for weeks, another for just a few days. Treatment needs differ from one case to the next.

You can rest assured, that doctors are not making up treatments in order to bill medicare.
You could ask, where did this conspiracy theory start? Why, when accurate information is so critical to how the pandemic is handled, are some people believing this rumour which is so obviously false?

It's not a matter of doctors "making up treatments." It's a matter of health facilities and services being able to charge Medicare 20% more than the normal cost of care if the person is diagnosed with covid.

That's not in question. That's a simple fact and you can download the Medicare Policy here.

This is where the "conspiracy theory" started.

With the CARES Act.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member