GUILTY IL - Megan Nichols, 15, found deceased, Fairfield, 3 July 2014 *ARREST in 2020*

"I work with the guy, the cops got him in the parking lot after he got out of his car. Must say it’s very difficult for me to imagine this guy murdered anyone. He was about the nicest guy you’d ever meet, quiet, relaxed, generally a pleasure to be around. Maybe he did it, maybe he didn’t, I can’t say. But it’s difficult to imagine for me...

If you read the specific murder charges it would seem an exact cause hasn’t been determined. The three murder charges are 1: suffocated 2: strangled 3: by manner and means unknown. There is a spread of murder charges to cover all areas because they don’t really know the cause."

RC Beverage Co (Now looking to hire replacement Lab Technician)

Wayne County, IL | Case Dispositions

Could you post the link where that quote came from? I didn't see it in the articles linked here but maybe it's in another post somewhere?

14 NEWS
(interesting comments here regarding his family dynamics)

He was a supplemental professor Intro to Geology at his college last February:

%7D%7D%3Athid.690135704428402%3A306061129499414%3A2%3A0%3A1551427199%3A-6451098212803795667']USI Geology and Physics

His LinkedIn:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/brodey-murbarger

Supplemental professor? I've never heard of such a designation. He wouldn't even have completed his undergrad yet!

University teachers are called Instructor I, Instructor II, Senior Instructor, Lecturer, Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, or Professor.

Supplemental professor? I've never heard of such a designation. He wouldn't even have completed his undergrad yet!

University teachers are called Instructor I, Instructor II, Senior Instructor, Lecturer, Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, or Professor.

Ok. How is that relevant to the case?

Ok. How is that relevant to the case?

I believe that the more we learn about a suspect, the more we can understand about the case. Did Burbarger have the position of Supplemental Professor? How could he, when there is no such position?

Was this a self description? Did Barbarger attempt to embellish his position, and if so, why would he do that, when it pops out so quickly? Is it possible that he wasn't doing as well at university as he would like us to believe? Who was he trying to fool?

Or ... was it merely an error made by someone else?

By the time students are in their final year of an undergrad degree, they have an understanding of the different academic positions of their teachers. There are many questions that are raised in my mind by the description that make me suspicious of his situation while at university.

BTW, Welcome to Websleuths!

He doesn't list "supplemental professor" as one of his merits on his linkedin and the story about it has since been removed from the college's Facebook. I would say if anything it just indicates fairly informal terminology being used somewhere in the University of Southern Indiana - be it semi-officially or just by the people who write the geology department's Facebook stories.

The story about him being a sweetheart that doesn't seem capable of murdering anyone is pretty interesting. I have a feeling that six years ago teenage hormones caused him to act irrationally and, perhaps accidentally, Megan ended up dead - then "someone" helped him cover it all up. I hope that person is held very accountable especially if they had sworn an oath to serve and protect.

I believe it was incorrect or informal terminology as well. He was a Field Camp instructor at USI’s geology department. Multi-week long trips to places of geological importance or relevance. He had taken trips in the past and had one planned for the summer of this year that was cancelled due to COVID-19.

Oct 10, 2020

It has been confirmed by the Vanderburgh County Sheriff's Office that the murder suspect in the Megan Nichols case, 24-year-old Brodey Murbarger has been extradited from the Vanderburgh County Jail to the Wayne County Jail late Friday night.

Murder Suspect in Megan Nichols Case Extradited

October 14, 2020

24-year-old Brodey I. Murbarger had his first appearance in Wayne County Circuit Court yesterday. He was advised of the charges against him, including three counts of first-degree murder, one count of concealment of a homicidal death, and two counts of home invasion; Heidi Hoffee was appointed as his public defender. Arraignment has been scheduled for 9 a.m. on October 27th.

Headlines for Wednesday, October 14th

Last edited:
I wonder if the money Megan withdrew had anything to do with anything. I don't have a single theory about how it could be related (if at all) to her death, just wondering out loud. Maybe it was just a coincidence that she withdrew money for shopping or something.

I'm amazed that it looks like he just went on with his life like nothing happened. Went to college, and started his career... I wonder if there are other victims?

I wonder if the money Megan withdrew had anything to do with anything. I don't have a single theory about how it could be related (if at all) to her death, just wondering out loud. Maybe it was just a coincidence that she withdrew money for shopping or something.

Beside not knowing how much money was withdrawn from who's account, I also wonder what happened to Megan's bicycle... My avatar's sunrise photo was taken 18 days before Megan's disappearance.

Last edited:
That's pretty much what all murderers do. They go on with their lives like nothing happened.
Well, I guess most of them do. What I meant is, I’m wondering if he killed her as a result of an altercation or something that had happened in their relationship, or if he might be a Ted Bundy-like killer who picks victims at random, but seems like a normal guy on the surface. I’ve only read one or two articles and there isn’t much detail on him yet.

October 27, 2020

24-year-old Brodey I. Murbarger waived a formal arraignment and pleaded not guilty to all counts levied against him by a Wayne County Grand Jury in connection to the death and disappearance of Megan Nichols. His attorney demanded a jury trial on or before February 4th, 2021, but Judge Michael Molt said scheduling such a trial was dependent upon the coronavirus.

Headlines for Tuesday, October 27th

This week’s hearings in Wayne County Circuit Court have been continued, including the pre-trial hearing for Brodey Murbarger. He pleaded not guilty last month to all counts against him, including three counts of first-degree murder, in connection to the death and disappearance of Megan Nichols. His hearing was set for this afternoon, but it will now be held via Zoom on December 8th.

Headlines for Tuesday, November 24th | WFIW (wfiwradio.com)

t_4cd2725ea5984830b8eb7d5eadd0f9f7_name_file_1280x720_2000_v3_1_.jpg
Murbarger.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23