Norway Norway - Oslo, WhtFem 20-30, Fake Name, shot in hotel room, Jun'95

Status
Not open for further replies.
This to me is the most intriguing of all the new crop of UM episodes. #1 priority should be trying to identify her which is going to be incredibly difficult after 25 years, and her possibly being from East Germany which purged a lot of GDR records. How, or why she died is impossible to determine conclusively without knowing who she was? and why she checked into the most expensive hotel in Oslo in 1995?
I don't know if anyone else noticed but the hotel registration card has both typed parts and handwriting. The typed portion I assume was input by the hotel reservation taker over the phone, and the rest was to be filled out when the guest checked in. If you look at the box "FIRMA/COMPANY" it says "CERBIS, BELGIA"
Belgia is Norwegian for Belgium that's easy, but why input a company name like CERBIS? We know she used a fake name, but some of the Belgian info she scribbled down was pretty close to accurate. She in the very least had some familiarity with Belgian phone prefixes, street names and the tiny town of Verlaine Belgium an hour south of Brussels. On a hunch I typed CERBIS in Google and it only pointed to the case. So I played with the letters a bit thinking maybe the Norwegian employee misheard something in the phone translation. Bingo! CERIS! A diplomatic post grad school in BRUSSELS does exist. It was founded in 1985. Places in grads in embassy work, politics etc. So my theory is she either worked, attended or knew someone there to submit that very unique name on her hotel reservation. If that has not been thoroughly checked out it should be. We are pretty sure she is German, specifically East German "dialect heard by bilingual hotel employee" So likely born in the communist GDR in 1971. East Germans were not free to leave until 1989 and she would have been 18. Her clothes, travel bags, and 8 karat gold ring all from Germany. So she's German 100%. I think she would have been too young to be a Stasi/KGB operative (disbanded 1991) but it's still something to consider. Also someone involved in the criminal world somehow. Her gun was determined to be a 1960's-70's Hungarian made FEG Browning Hi-Power clone service weapon. Worn down, sights for easy holster removal. From my research a very common weapon used by police, military and criminals in Europe. After the Cold War ended surplus weapons from communist countries like that flooded into Europe. Interestingly the barrel of the gun was replaced by a 1991 Belgian BHP 9MM. The serial was chemically removed. This to me indicates a movement or organization supplied her gun. But she could have bought on the Oslo black market too I suppose. The bag with loose bullets is curious to me. I theorize a street dealer may have given her a handful with the purchased weapon. If it was an op I would think they would be preloaded in clips ready to go.
One more thing I researched was the male cologne found in the room. Some women just like to wear male colognes, but I theorize she may have been masquerading as a man for unknown reasons. That was the first thing I thought of when I saw her very short hair in the pics. Maybe she also had a disguise at another location? Or that stuff was removed along with the rest of her wardrobe (underwear, skirt, shoes, makeup, passport, etc etc)
Lastly I have fired a Browning Hi-Power 9mm. It kicks hard. This woman was roughly 5'1, petite with small hands. Maybe she could fire the gun the normal way into her head and not drop it, but turned around using her thumb on the trigger NO WAY IN HELL does it not fall out. No gpr or blood on her hands too? Something super fishy there. Hopefully they are already putting her DNA through CODIS/FBI, INTERPOL and the new familial DNA databases. Have to identify the woman first or else it's all just speculation, and some of us read too many Tom Clancy novels.
Great post! Just watching this ep now.

I found this doing a quick search tattoo removal. I do not know much about tattoos, or if technology has changed since 1995, but it seems *possible* at least, that a person going to great lengths to conceal their identity (a spy? something else?) would have access to the best technique. It has been around since the late '60s.

"Unless you already have an existing scar, are prone to scarring or keloids, or are reckless with your aftercare; laser tattoo removal will typically not cause scarring"

I had two tattoos removed close to that time frame - it was a 3 year process for my back tat that was very large indeed - but started the removal process closer to 2000. Even with the benefit of medical advancements over time, I have what I call a 'ghost' tattoo, because the subtle scarring is visible in place of ink. Not overt, but definitely noticeable. I can't imagine a tattoo being removed at least 10 years prior being anything better and leaving zero scarring.

FWIW.

Somehow i am not a big supporter of the spy theory. This is not the Cold War era anymore (I am aware that even after the Cold War there is espionage up to the present day, but its less likely, especially if it is a German or Belgian in Norway... no reason for espionage).

And why would a spy attract unnecessary attention (expensive and very sexy clothing, expensive hotel room that is unpaid for days)?
I agree, if this were a spy removing tags from clothing, the tags that remained would have been removed. I know it was pointed out that the blazer's tag was on it in a way making removal destroy the jacket (and why it remained) - but I think a professional spy would not be deterred by the more difficult tag IF that were the purpose for removal. Life or death in that hypothetical, and wouldn't be hindered by keeping a tag to avoid ruining a piece of clothing. Either don't buy that piece of clothing, or get a stitch ripper & get to work.

If the reason the tags were removed were done by someone bothered by the fabric of the tag, OR, by a regular citizen trying to prevent identification (either after suicide OR murder), that could explain the presence of tags more difficult to remove, but the removal of all others.

Some thoughts:
Lois is also a common female name... Interesting point made upthread about the woman's hair being short in that she could more easily wear wigs... Did anyone check the ceilings to see if someone could have escaped through any tiles or other? I didn't see that mentioned... If someone left the room, did they fingerprint nearest stairwell handle railings? I didn't see that mentioned...One of my thoughts when they discovered the briefcase containing only bullets was of the Las Vegas shooter. Did she arrive there intending to shoot multiple people? Was her hotel window going to be used? Did she decide not to go through with something and that is why someone killed her? I am impressed that they did exhume her body for DNA analysis and hope there is some sort of connection found in the future with this information.

The details may not like up completely, but there was a Belgian born woman living in America who disappeared in 1993.

Similar features (black hair blue eyes) but heights are off.

The woman who disappeared also lived in Germany with her military husband at the time.

Known to be very versed in Belgian accounting and banking.

This is the thread for her: WA - WA - Michaelle Champagne, 30, Spokane, 8 Sept 1993

OK, I wanted to chime in with a few things about this case that stand out to me personally. Some additional details I didn't see on the UM episode or mentioned here: Everything Unsolved Mysteries Leaves Out About The Oslo Plaza Woman

1) The gun: reports for this case describe the gun as being a Browning pistol with its serial numbers expertly removed. The gun appears to be one of the few pieces of actual evidence left from this case, and a re-examination was done according to the article I posted (above). The results suggest this gun isn't actually an authentic Browning pistol: "[W]eapons expert claims that it's actually a Hungarian copy from the '60s or '70s that's compromised of several parts. The pistol is also reportedly a military weapon".

If this weapon wasn't actually an authentic Browning (but perhaps noted as a Browning by officials convinced it was a suicide, and not wasting more time than minimally necessary wrapping it all up), then perhaps that same thing could explain other curiosities (like lack of gun powder residue on her hands).

2) Coke/Diet Coke (Coke Light): reviewing photos of the hotel room this woman was found in, and came across one showing several empty bottles alongside one another on a counter. I would think the presence of an empty Coke bottle right next to an empty Coke Light suggests the presence of another person. Though not dispositive of the same, I have found most people don't stray between regular sodas and their diet counterpart. While true, it may have been what was left (and the same person drank it over the course of her stay), I think these two empty soft drinks alongside one another could also suggest another person's presence.

empty soda bottles are shown here: https://i.imgur.com/bTJPYxo.jpg

3) Eye Makeup & Lack of Suitcase or Toiletries: (full disclosure, I saw someone else make this point online) the shower showed a wet towel & appeared recently used by someone. If the person showering was the deceased, how did she get eye makeup back on after washing it off? I didn't see any recovered items in the room to explain that (like, any makeup) so either the deceased showered, put on eye shadow, but another person was present and removed a toiletries bag or the eye shadow even just itself - or, someone else showered before leaving. I think this suggests someone was there with the deceased up until the end, to either take the shower or take the eye makeup. Since the shower was recent enough for dampness to still exist, that person could've been the shooter (or seen who the shooter was, if not the deceased)

4) Room 2816: I haven't seen any mention of this elsewhere, but apparently the room this woman was staying in (2805) included a newspaper with the room number '2816' written on it. Why would that be? Was someone in that room and staying simultaneous with this woman? Did she meet up with them while there? I find that interesting...

5) Room 2818: The occupant of room 2818, Borghild Strandenes, called the Oslo police six days after Jennifer's death and informed them about a suspicious couple. I'm interested in what made this couple suspicious to the caller, and whether that was intended to assist or misdirect? I wonder whether this was ever pursued, and/or ever located?

6) The Mysterious Mr X: A Belgian man stayed in the room across from from the deceased shortly before her death, referred to in reports as "Mr X". The article I posted above says he was tracked down in his home in Belgium & questioned about the woman in 2805. Mr X told investigators he first heard about the death when he was checking out of the hotel. Thing is, Mr. X checked out the morning of the 3rd, but the woman's death wasn't discovered until the evening of the 3rd. Why did Mr. X suggest he heard about it while checking out, something we can recall without the need to have the date right - but the date of his check out show he was long gone by the time the body was discovered? I've read a lot about Mr. X in years past, but the article linked here is slim on its details. This is another rabbit hole, if anyone is interested

I have so many questions about this case, but hope she wasn't an intelligence agent whose family isn't aware of her death. If she were intelligence, I would presume the family have since been notified by whichever agency she operated within (who would know what to do when she disappeared at all, regardless of its connection to any possible assignment). I tend to think that not the case, as the tags remaining on some of her clothing would've been disposed regardless of the complexity should that have been the rationale for any other tag removal. If she is an agent and for whatever reason the family is unaware of her death (or the fact she was an agent, perhaps), I suspect that upon her identification taking place (if it hasn't been already), that information will likely not be released to the public.

Just my more immediate rambling thoughts on this case, FWIW. Curiosities I'd like to know, but perhaps nothing more than an anxious mind ruminating on easily explained stuff

OK, I wanted to chime in with a few things about this case that stand out to me personally. Some additional details I didn't see on the UM episode or mentioned here: Everything Unsolved Mysteries Leaves Out About The Oslo Plaza Woman

1) The gun: reports for this case describe the gun as being a Browning pistol with its serial numbers expertly removed. The gun appears to be one of the few pieces of actual evidence left from this case, and a re-examination was done according to the article I posted (above). The results suggest this gun isn't actually an authentic Browning pistol: "[W]eapons expert claims that it's actually a Hungarian copy from the '60s or '70s that's compromised of several parts. The pistol is also reportedly a military weapon".

If this weapon wasn't actually an authentic Browning (but perhaps noted as a Browning by officials convinced it was a suicide, and not wasting more time than minimally necessary wrapping it all up), then perhaps that same thing could explain other curiosities (like lack of gun powder residue on her hands).

2) Coke/Diet Coke (Coke Light): reviewing photos of the hotel room this woman was found in, and came across one showing several empty bottles alongside one another on a counter. I would think the presence of an empty Coke bottle right next to an empty Coke Light suggests the presence of another person. Though not dispositive of the same, I have found most people don't stray between regular sodas and their diet counterpart. While true, it may have been what was left (and the same person drank it over the course of her stay), I think these two empty soft drinks alongside one another could also suggest another person's presence.

3) Eye Makeup & Lack of Suitcase or Toiletries: (full disclosure, I saw someone else make this point online) the shower showed a wet towel & appeared recently used by someone. If the person showering was the deceased, how did she get eye makeup back on after washing it off? I didn't see any recovered items in the room to explain that (like, any makeup) so either the deceased showered, put on eye shadow, but another person was present and removed a toiletries bag or the eye shadow even just itself - or, someone else showered before leaving. I think this suggests someone was there with the deceased up until the end, to either take the shower or take the eye makeup. Since the shower was recent enough for dampness to still exist, that person could've been the shooter (or seen who the shooter was, if not the deceased)

4) Room 2816: I haven't seen any mention of this elsewhere, but apparently the room this woman was staying in (2805) included a newspaper with the room number '2816' written on it. Why would that be? Was someone in that room and staying simultaneous with this woman? Did she meet up with them while there? I find that interesting...

5) Room 2818: The occupant of room 2818, Borghild Strandenes, called the Oslo police six days after Jennifer's death and informed them about a suspicious couple. I'm interested in what made this couple suspicious to the caller, and whether that was intended to assist or misdirect? I wonder whether this was ever pursued, and/or ever located?

6) The Mysterious Mr X: A Belgian man stayed in the room across from from the deceased shortly before her death, referred to in reports as "Mr X". The article I posted above says he was tracked down in his home in Belgium & questioned about the woman in 2805. Mr X told investigators he first heard about the death when he was checking out of the hotel. Thing is, Mr. X checked out the morning of the 3rd, but the woman's death wasn't discovered until the evening of the 3rd. Why did Mr. X suggest he heard about it while checking out, something we can recall without the need to have the date right - but the date of his check out show he was long gone by the time the body was discovered? I've read a lot about Mr. X in years past, but the article linked here is slim on its details. This is another rabbit hole, if anyone is interested

I have so many questions about this case, but hope she wasn't an intelligence agent whose family isn't aware of her death. If she were intelligence, I would presume the family have since been notified by whichever agency she operated within (who would know what to do when she disappeared at all, regardless of its connection to any possible assignment). I tend to think that not the case, as the tags remaining on some of her clothing would've been disposed regardless of the complexity should that have been the rationale for any other tag removal. If she is an agent and for whatever reason the family is unaware of her death (or the fact she was an agent, perhaps), I suspect that upon her identification taking place (if it hasn't been already), that information will likely not be released to the public.

Just my more immediate rambling thoughts on this case, FWIW. Curiosities I'd like to know, but perhaps nothing more than an anxious mind ruminating on easily explained stuff

Trace Evidence Podcast does a very good breakdown of this case. IMO, the Unsolved Mysteries episode left out many details that the podcast covered.

One of the many details is that there was a message displayed on the TV at one point about needed to settle the bill, and someone in the room acknowledged the message.

Another detail is that a cleaning lady remembers seeing the woman in the hallway and the woman spoke to her in English, with little accent.

A woman called once speaking in Dutch (I think or maybe German) and then called speaking in English a few days later but both women where claiming to be the same woman.

The podcast also explains how her information was not obtained when she initially checked in.

Perhaps the other person she was traveling with was the one involved in espionage. It's possible his assignment required him to be part of a couple. He would have procured articles of clothing to her in order to fit whatever look was needed that her existing clothing was lacking. This would explain some having labels and some not. She would've been along for the adventure/romance/whatever bs story he decided to tell her.... and he would have had time developing her as an asset so he would know if anybody would look for her should she go missing.

Could be parted out with the FEG P9M.

She could have simply stolen the paper from another room. It is just something they leave outside the door.

A few reasons could come into play with the drink.. For instance if she going to commit suicide maybe she wanted a real coke instead of a diet before the end. Maybe she had some mixed drinks and used coke instead of diet for them. Maybe she was only half dieting. Interesting questions that just go in circles really, though that most things lol

Don't forget the logical possibility this could somehow be connected to the Oslo Accords negotiations that were occurring at the time between the Palestinian Liberation Organization and Israel. If she had East German (Stasi) roots she would likely be pro PLO and anti-Israel. Perhaps taken out by Mossad? This scenario would be much more probable if it had happened in the 70's or 80's though as the Stasi disbanded completely in 1990. Five years is a pretty big gap.
Oslo Accords II | Encyclopedia.com

Has anyone considered the plate of half eaten food? The placement of the fork and knife were at about 7 o'clock on the plate. Etiquette for eating doesnt have this placement that I know of. Even the colonial style etiquette. If she was eating colonial style that would explain the fork on the left side of the plate but the would be facing down to follow that theory. So I'm left wondering, was she left handed, given the fork and knife were on the left side of the plate? If so, then it wouldnt be impossible, but another mystery to add to the mysteries. Her right hand, was the hand supposedly used to pull the trigger. I also find the lack of anything, esp blood splatter on her hand. Theres clearly blood coming up the barrel, but stop short of spraying even a little splatter on her hand. Why would she bring so many bras with her if she planned to kill herself. They say theres a small rolling suitcase that may be missing and possible a cute pair of shoes. Which would explain the lack of ANY bottoms at all other than the pyjama shorts she had. Also the lack of any underwear there and toiletries also. She had eyeliner on when she dies. They dont know when she put it on, but I would figure her earlier shower would have washed that off.

I don't think that's blood on the barrel, looks more like the oxidization patina of a poorly maintained Cold War relic. Looks kind of rusty colored in the camera flash. I could be wrong.

I have read many articles about her,but this seems new to me,any thoughts about it?

"Unfortunately, Unsolved Mysteries doesn't include the most relevant evidence that supports a spy theory. Audiences learn how Fairgate died, and that room 2805 was left unattended for 15 minutes after security first heard the gunshot, but "A Death in Oslo" doesn't acknowledge the troubling autopsy results. On Friday, June 2, the woman ordered bratwurst and potato salad at 8:06 p.m. (and also provided room service with a sizable tip). Yet, according to a Finnish article translated by a Reddit user, the autopsy revealed Fairgate's room service meal in her stomach contents, suggesting she ate it the day she died. If Fairgate did indeed kill herself, she would have eaten one-day-old room service food before grasping a pistol, with her thumb, and then pulling the trigger.

The mystery woman may have been deeply depressed and didn't necessarily care what she consumed, but the collective evidence suggests that she was murdered on Friday, June 2, and that room 2805 was staged to protect her assassin(s). According to Unsolved Mysteries, hotel employees initially noted an "acrid" smell upon entering the room, which suggests that her corpse could have been there for a while. Also, a newspaper with the number 2816 written on it was found in room 2805, leaving Wegner to theorize that Fairgate had a second room, or that she was tracking someone. Wegner discovered through his own investigation of hotel records and official statements from hotel employees that she had left her room for approximately 20 hours during her three-day stay — perhaps she was tracking someone during that time......"
Unsolved Mysteries: The Oslo Woman Spy Theory, Explained

The UM episode got me interested in this case, but it sure left out a lot of things. Like how she checked into the hotel in the first place. The former spy guy interviewed made a lot of reasonable points, I thought, especially regarding her family could have been told she died a hero, in the service of her country. But so much of it just doesn't make sense. I don't think it was a suicide, the strange position of the gun, no blood on her hands, the care taken to conceal anything identifying.

To me, it all points to some sort of spy thing, some sort of underground movement, or criminal element. It's so notable that nearly every identifying detail was removed and those that were left were not helpful at all. And the bras but no underwear or pants or anything to wear below the waist other than what she had on. Were those items taken because they had been worn and there was concern about DNA?

Fascinating mystery.

So many unanswered questions. To me the spy theory seems far fetched. Everything seems too sloppy for being a spy thing. Sure the gun used was unidentifiable and some tags from her clothing were removed but there could be other explanations for that. Criminals of all sorts can use off the grid weapons.
The name and addresses given upon registration were too unique and not well versed. If she were indeed a spy, she would have chosen a more common name and given an address in a larger city.
What troubles me is the clothing left behind. The lingerie were too sexy for everyday use. Was she with a married man? Was she an escort of some sort and she witnessed something she shouldn't have?

The UM episode got me interested in this case, but it sure left out a lot of things. Like how she checked into the hotel in the first place. The former spy guy interviewed made a lot of reasonable points, I thought, especially regarding her family could have been told she died a hero, in the service of her country. But so much of it just doesn't make sense. I don't think it was a suicide, the strange position of the gun, no blood on her hands, the care taken to conceal anything identifying.

To me, it all points to some sort of spy thing, some sort of underground movement, or criminal element. It's so notable that nearly every identifying detail was removed and those that were left were not helpful at all. And the bras but no underwear or pants or anything to wear below the waist other than what she had on. Were those items taken because they had been worn and there was concern about DNA?

Fascinating mystery.

So many unanswered questions. To me the spy theory seems far fetched. Everything seems too sloppy for being a spy thing. Sure the gun used was unidentifiable and some tags from her clothing were removed but there could be other explanations for that. Criminals of all sorts can use off the grid weapons.
The name and addresses given upon registration were too unique and not well versed. If she were indeed a spy, she would have chosen a more common name and given an address in a larger city.
What troubles me is the clothing left behind. The lingerie were too sexy for everyday use. Was she with a married man? Was she an escort of some sort and she witnessed something she shouldn't have?

I will say it over, and over, and over.....

Everything makes WAY more sense if you consider the possibility that there was two very similar looking women in the room (or sharing it, or being involved).

The ID (or lack there of), the clothing, the cosmetics, the feminine form of Lois (like Lois and Clark) on the check in registration.

There is a lot more to substantiate the claim that two women were involved, and I have mentioned them throughout the thread. These are just off the top of my head.

The investigative reporter for this case went all out to try solving this mystery. Amazing.

My 2 cents...murder.

Yes, it is amazing the work he has done so far. I will not be surprised if he solves it someday. Most times Police can't afford the manpower and resources for such cold cases especially when they have been characterized as most likely a suicide.

There is a lot of mystery surrounding the woman’s activities in the days leading up to her death. They defy explanation but they don’t clearly point to either murder or suicide. The possible presence of another person with her and possibly in her room would argue strongly against suicide but it hasn’t really been verified.

The actual circumstances of her death strongly suggest she was alone and suicide would be the only explanation. The first shot was fired at the time the security officer knocked at the door. While we know that the officer left the floor unattended for 15 minutes, I do not believe it would be a reasonable expectation that the security officer would leave the scene. If there was a second party in the room, they would have every reason to expect a security officer to be in the hall. This would be the worst time to shot someone. For suicide however, it may have been perceived as the last chance since, as a non-payer, she may have feared removal from, the hotel.

If there was a second party intent on murder, the reasonable assumption would be that the victim would struggle and call for help yet she did neither.

The door was “double locked” from the inside. The Norwegian police determined that while it was possible to do it from outside, it would require special knowledge of the lock mechanism than few people would have.

There are many ways that one could commit suicide in a hotel room with out making noise or attracting attention. It is common sense that a staged suicide, whether done by a trained spy or a common criminal, would use one of those methods. It would make no sense to do it that way.

While it can not be absolutely ruled out, any explanation except suicide seems extremely unlikely. The victims obviously did not want to be identified and her efforts appear to be successful. The Norwegian police came to the very reasonable conclusion that no crime was committed and deteriorating the identity of some foreigner who did not want to be identified did not warrant their time and effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23