Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #86

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #85

Well, the Walgreens I mentioned in a post Wednesday — the one where people weren’t wearing masks—is now “temporarily closed. No further info available”. Googling confirmed that’s what they say if they close the store due to COVID infection. It also seems that they don’t report it, call people who have been there to alert them or give any information if you call.

I’ve been super careful. That Walgreens is literally the only place I’ve been in two weeks and ironically I went for a flu shot. It sure would be nice to know if one the pharmacists I was locked in a small room with were among those who tested positive. I’ll call in the morning but based on what I read sounds like they won’t be willing to tell me either way.

I wore a mask and gloves, pharmacists had masks but no gloves. But who knows how many of those unmasked customers had been in that tiny room breathing droplets of whatever all over the place. I’m worried for me and even moreso for my high-risk DH who I’ve been breathing on for the past 4 days.

..... sigh

Well, the Walgreens I mentioned in a post Wednesday — the one where people weren’t wearing masks—is now “temporarily closed. No further info available”. Googling confirmed that’s what they say if they close the store due to COVID infection. It also seems that they don’t report it, call people who have been there to alert them or give any information if you call.

I’ve been super careful. That Walgreens is literally the only place I’ve been in two weeks and ironically I went for a flu shot. It sure would be nice to know if one the pharmacists I was locked in a small room with were among those who tested positive. I’ll call in the morning but based on what I read sounds like they won’t be willing to tell me either way.

I wore a mask and gloves, pharmacists had masks but no gloves. But who knows how many of those unmasked customers had been in that tiny room breathing droplets of whatever all over the place. I’m worried for me and even moreso for my high-risk DH who I’ve been breathing on for the past 4 days.

..... sigh

I came across an outbreak map the other day. See if that address shows. It sounds like this is the case as determined by their policy you googled, but it may also actually be on a map. I’ll follow up with you tomorrow, if you need the link let me know.

eta link below

I came across an outbreak map the other day. See if that address shows. It sounds like this is the case as determined by their policy you googled, but it may also actually be on a map. I’ll follow up with you tomorrow, if you need the link let me know.
You are ever so very awesome!!!!!!

Here ya go, I think this is it, half asleep, goodnight :)
Outbreak data | Colorado COVID-19 Updates

eta: @Colorado303 , you can click on the pins and it gives you more information about those locations

LOTS of schools with active outbreaks. Good that Colorado has this resource though.

As an outsider, it really drives it home how rampant this plague is, when you click on the dots and see all the types of places with outbreaks.

Not sure whether I was more shocked to learn how federal officials (Centers for Medicare/Medicaid) swooped down upon the first hard-hit skilled nursing facility in Kirkland WA not to offer any appreciable assistance but rather to pull the thinly-stretched staff away from their duties to grill them about the outbreak and try to make the facility into a scapegoat for the whole pandemic, OR to hear about the byzantine regulations that kept the University of Washington from using the COVID-19 test kits it had developed when the CDC-issued kits turned out to not work. Strangely, the U.S.’s current administration seems to have few qualms about bypassing previously-established testing requirements to fast-track FDA approval of novel or under-researched coronavirus treatments like HCQ...MOO

I was just reading an article about HCQ being pushed into hospitals, clinics, and long term care homes earlier in the year. Despite it being for emergency use only. They were even trying to get it into pharmacies so doctors could prescribe it. It is unclear if they managed to do that.

Once HCQ's dangers were identified, some of these places tried to return it. They were told that if they didn't want it to destroy it.

White House sidestepped FDA to distribute hydroxychloroquine to pharmacies, documents show

The President went on to claim that places with strict lockdowns are where "the people that do the worst" with fighting the pandemic are.
This is a blatant, provable lie.

Unfortunately, some people have bought right into it.

There was a little incident where a US friend was saying how much he wants to return to Australia. His next door neighbour said that she loved visiting Australia but she would never go there while 'they were doing what they were doing'. (Apparently, we were under martial law, locked in our houses, and fed bread and water o_O )

When my friend tried to enlighten her on how it is (he was here during lockdown and experienced the freedoms that still remain during lockdown - like the roadtrips we took, and camped in a tent, away from other people), she had the audacity to tell him that no, that's not how it is.

Last edited:
So are you suggesting we invent yet another watchdog agency to go and look over the shoulders of every county's medical examiners, throughout the US?

I'm just trying to understand here. You think the situation warrants going back over every case, case-by-case, to make sure they're CoVId? How would we get the data on people who have died of CoVid at home?

There are guidelines, and for the most part, they're being followed - as always. These are the same coroners and medical examiners that you depend on, if you are a US citizen, to handle these things on the daily. Most people are dying in hospital, in a CoVid care situation. They have multiple pathologies due to CoVid.

The signs of dying from CoVid may not be completely known, but that would result in missed cases, not over counting.

At any rate, why not leave it up to the same medical professionals we've always trusted? The number of cases where it's questionable whether COVid had anything to do with a death are tiny. People have medical records and tests. There are a lot of excess deaths this year, many could be CoVid - but I don't see anyone at the top asking for more help with that. Personally, I think it would be a waste of medical resources right now.

It will take years and years to get better or more exact numbers. The current numbers are close enough that we should put the resources into preventing CoVid.

To go case-by-case? An immense expense and it would be better spent opening our own medical PPE manufacturing businesses or in permanently expanding the number of negative pressure rooms in hospitals. And, if this ever settles down, into contact tracing.

I don't think any agency will be created to go case-by-case, but I think it will happen, just as in-depth studies of the 1918 flu have been conducted throughout history, as recently as 2018, a full century after that pandemic.

I firmly believe researchers will be scrutinizing this pandemic for decades, as well. But, yes, studies can be expensive--they often take place at the university level and are funded by both federal and private grants.

That's just the way science works, in fact, studies are already taking place on many aspects of this pandemic, I absolutely feel we'll see studies that try to narrow down the actual death toll, in addition to studies that focus on transmission in communities, through the air, through the water, risk by blood type, etc. And, to my mind, we should. We should leave no stone unturned.

We need all that information, and more, so we are more prepared to react if another virus (knock wood) comes in our direction. The CDC has already been tracking deaths related to or caused by covid. That data will likely be the starting point for many studies, and they won't all be medical--they will have other focuses, including economics, race, famial risk, etc.

I've written many grants for non-profits, schools and universities, and you might be surprised at some of the programs and studies that recieve funding. While I'm obviously not psychic, I'd be willing to bet we'll see hundreds, if not thousands, of studies on every aspect of this pandemic over the coming years.

I know a lot of emotions are in play here, and sadly, we're seeing politics involved as well, but I stand by my assertion that we need to look at the facts and only the facts. If we have one group creating a false narrative, creating another false narrative to counter the first only further muddies the waters. JMOO

By the way, I find your scientific-based posts to be highly educational and helpful. I especially appreciated this post. I only wish we had the ability to respond to posts after a thread closes, because by the time I read it -- there was no longer a reply option. So, thank you for that one--it was fascinating and informative.

But isn’t the false narrative the implication that doctors all across America are falsifying records for financial gain? Yet that’s what was said at the rally and people are going to take that and run with it, once again downplaying this virus while numbers rise and rise and rise and rise and rise. I’m just an outside observer but this seems to me to be a big and ongoing problem in the USA. The messaging from the top is really shocking to me.

You're right, when it comes to the virus in the US, we have a problem, and the way to deal with it--JMOO--is not to divide into partisan factions but rather to try and unify the citizens through education and an appeal to emotion and logic.

We have a unique dynamic in the US, in that a large number of people do not trust their government to act in their best interest. Sadly, we have a history of past events, such as the Tuskegee Syphilis Study, or Operation Sea Spray, or Operation Plumbbob, or even the mad doctor of Holmesburg Prison that gives them good cause. I've listed four--there are hundreds more, albeit we've implemented greater oversight in the past decades to reduce this type of thing. And yet, skepticism persists.

We need to pull together if we're going to stand a chance of fighting this virus and saving lives.

..... sigh

Isn't that interesting. I usually go to the local Walgreens for my annual flu shot, but if the corporate company is not requiring strict adherence to safety precautions, I may need to go elsewhere this year. Thanks for sharing that.

We need to pull together if we're going to stand a chance of fighting this virus and saving lives.

That's for sure!

The US needs to pull together even without good government direction, because it is evident to all what the huge division is causing. The infected country it is creating. And all the deaths (understated/overstated/whatever). :(

And what I mean by 'without good government direction' is that the health experts are asking, pleading, for people to do what they are asking.
They are publicly providing forecasts, telling how long it will be till a vaccine is available (for those who will take one), saying what a horrendous winter it will be, saying what people need to do.

People can choose to ignore or buy into the government rhetoric, but they are extremely unwise to not listen to the likes of people like Dr Fauci - a non-partisan leader in his field.

IMO

Don't like Dr Fauci? Then pick another relevant medical expert/institution that you DO like. They are all saying the same thing.
Not one of them is saying .. "Don't wear a mask, crowd together, don't wash your hands, touch your face as much as you want, go out and about if you have covid, mingle with people if you have covid, mingle with other people if you have been exposed to covid in any way, don't quarantine".

Last edited:
In my state today (as well as all around Australia).

The Class of 2020 are taking their final steps to finishing Year 12, with the start of the SACE major written exam period today.

A total of 12,495 students from 205 schools will sit at least one Stage 2 exam in 2020.

Education Minister John Gardner praised the resilience of students and teachers in the face of the significant challenges faced in 2020.

“I am immensely proud of the Class of 2020 for reaching this final step of their school journey, in a year like no other,” said Minister Gardner.
“In spite of a global pandemic, students and teachers have shown the tenacity and resilience to rise to the challenge.

Major SACE exam period underway

I know a lot of emotions are in play here, and sadly, we're seeing politics involved as well, but I stand by my assertion that we need to look at the facts and only the facts. If we have one group creating a false narrative, creating another false narrative to counter the first only further muddies the waters. JMOO

With all due respect, please do not refer to my posts and those of others on this important subject as “creating another false narrative” involving “emotions” and “politics.” Those words are dismissive of others’ intelligent opinions that have equal validity to yours, and they totally misrepresent our posts.

I’m afraid that the deep dive you continue to take into the intricacies and “facts and only the facts” of Medicare billing only serves to “muddy the waters” and distract attention from the subject at hand. I trust and hope that is not your intention.

Our focus from the beginning of this particular discussion has been the President’s disturbing distortion of Medicare billing (which most of his listeners do not understand) in order to deliberately malign doctors and hospitals, to create mistrust and division, and to minimize this horrible pandemic that is killing thousands in this country. Keeping our focus on this dangerous attitude is neither “political,” “emotional,” nor “creating another false narrative.” Rather, it is well in line with non-partisan scientists such as Dr Fauci who are trying to save lives.
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member