Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to start meal prepping using foil packets. Meat, veggies, foil...it is cool enough to use the oven every night.

This is my favorite way to prepare whole cod fillet: Place the cod on a bed of spinach, top with scallions, sliced tomatoes, capers, asparagus or artichokes, lemon slices, several sprigs of fresh thyme, season to taste. Wrap the foil package and seal ends tightly. Put packet on baking sheet and roast at 350* for about 35 minutes. Awesome!

Last edited:
This is my favorite way to prepare whole cod fillet: Place the cod on a bed of spinach, top with scallions, sliced tomatoes, capers, asparagus or artichokes, lemon slices, several sprigs of fresh time, season to taste. Wrap the foil package and seal ends tightly. Put packet on baking sheet and roast at 350* for about 35 minutes. Awesome!

Sounds really good! I have some frozen haddock and I'll bet this recipe would work fine for that. Maybe I'll try it tonight.

However, I just made seafood chowder using some leftover baked halibut and a few cooked Carolina shrimp that were in the freezer. Maybe I'll save the chowder for lunch tomorrow.

This is my favorite way to prepare whole cod fillet: Place the cod on a bed of spinach, top with scallions, sliced tomatoes, capers, asparagus or artichokes, lemon slices, several sprigs of fresh time, season to taste. Wrap the foil package and seal ends tightly. Put packet on baking sheet and roast at 350* for about 35 minutes. Awesome!
That sounds good! I never thought about spinach with fish. My friend gave me 2 filets recently. I need to try this!

Sounds delicious!!
We're having one of my favorites tonight. Chicken parmesan (in the instant pot), angel hair pasta and homemade marinara. I'm also making steamed artichokes for an appetizer (hubby requested). :)

You guys with your healthy eating, I’m binge watching the Great British Baking show trying to figure out how to make what they are making. Going to make a raspberry white chocolate bombe for Christmas because it looks festive. Going for a cranberry curd torte for Thanksgiving, also a pumpkin maple cake. My Millionaires Shortbread was a big hit. I have to make everything gluten free so it’s a bit of a challenge. My bananas foster cake was good but way to sweet and rich. Even the guys at work turned down extra of that one.

I made apple butter today. I read several different recipes and took the best features from all of them to come up with own version. I had nine assorted (chopped) apples and used all of them, apple juice, brown sugar, maple syrup, pinch of salt, juice of half a lemon, a cinnamon stick, and a couple of star anise and whole cloves. Brought it to a boil, then let it simmer for about two hours until the apples were soft and the liquid had reduced. I let it cool completely, then pureed it in the blender. DH said it smelled wonderful when he got home, and we both think it tastes amazing. I've definitely been inspired by this thread to try new foods and recipes :)

BDE, I'd bet that your house smelled like ... olfactory ecstasy. The cooks here, willing to experiment and make things with their own two hands and their own one brain, have inspired me more in the kitchen than I ever have been before. Thank you thank you thank you. My Huzbun thanks you too, even if one recipe started out as dog food.

I just finished prepping Chicken Divan in a large Dutch oven. It will be enough for dinner tonight and several lunches for DH next week. Chicken Divan has always been my favorite throw-back to foods that were popular in the 60s. I don't make them as frequently as Chicken Divan, but I also make Swedish Meatballs and Shrimp De Jonghe. I made a deconstructed version of Shrimp De Jonghe as an appetizer instead of the usual shrimp with homemade cocktail sauce. I roasted the shrimp with olive oil, salt & pepper and made the garlicky breadcrumb and white wine mixture as a dipping sauce. My own creation, and it was a hit :)

Steel cut oats for breakfast with some frozen berries and almond butter before my horseback ride. Little bit of brown sugar for sweetness. Should probably pick up some more but I do have over 2 full bags of rolled oats for overnight oats I should use up first. Made a home corned beef that will be dinner tonight with sautéed cabbage. Brisket was on sale so one for this week and one for the freezer. I’ll turn the leftovers into corned beef hash for my husband for breakfast for the week. He likes it with duck eggs.

My produce pick up this week wasn’t really produce. It was a USDA food box with a lot of dairy items. It had potatoes and apples. It included a bag of precooked Italian Chicken Meatballs. They are in my crockpot covered in my homemade marinara mixed with 1 can of spaghetti sauce and a 1/2 can of tomato sauce. There were so many I fixed another batch and froze it.

I now have 8 bags of apples and 3 bags of potatoes. I’m going to take a break from sewing and get these apples put up. But first, a nap with my new foster furbaby. He has a cold and is recovering from his surgery.

Attachments

• 2AD26CA7-0EAE-4244-8CE7-44222C494E3A.jpeg
    2AD26CA7-0EAE-4244-8CE7-44222C494E3A.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 33
My produce pick up this week wasn’t really produce. It was a USDA food box with a lot of dairy items. It had potatoes and apples. It included a bag of precooked Italian Chicken Meatballs. They are in my crockpot covered in my homemade marinara mixed with 1 can of spaghetti sauce and a 1/2 can of tomato sauce. There were so many I fixed another batch and froze it.

I now have 8 bags of apples and 3 bags of potatoes. I’m going to take a break from sewing and get these apples put up. But first, a nap with my new foster furbaby. He has a cold and is recovering from his surgery.

(Hearts and love to doggie and bless you for fostering)

Aww, hope he feels better soon. What will you do with the apples? I'm going to make applesauce this afternoon (stovetop).

Aww, hope he feels better soon. What will you do with the apples? I'm going to make applesauce this afternoon (stovetop).
I thought about applesauce but I don’t think we will eat it as much as cooked apples. I think I’ll bake them with a touch of cinnamon, a little sugar and vegan butter. My youngest is allergic to dairy. If I leave them thick enough, she can put it into apple crisp with her gluten free oats or into a gluten free pie crust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OwlEyes