Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #86

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. Increased taxes, higher insurance premiums, inflated travel costs, Long Covid, elderly relatives needing care earlier because of long term health problems, employment uncertainty, trade embargoes, higher cost of living, a bit more taxation, social ineptitude, suspicion of others, lack of hugs....

....the world as we knew it has changed for years to come, and it's the next generation who will pay for it.

Yet another constant thought for me.

What, in heaven's name are we teaching our grandchildren??

I have Millennial kids.......and ohhhhh how they have their reasons to blame Boomers... Climate Change, destroying the Environment, Materialism over Conservation, Debt, Prison Reform, Mental Illness reform, Wars.....you name it. I try to say "hold on",, I didn't vote for etc. etc etc.....

But this will be different, as it goes down in History..............
What are we teaching our grandchildren?

We don't know the origin species--the source animal-- because they scrubbed the wet market before testing the animals. They did find 15 samples of the virus but are not positive they were shed by animals or humans.

They originally blamed illegal wildlife sales, but some of the scientists produced photos of dead rodents.

Then, they reported that four of the five original victims had no link to the wet market. And, then this from the article:

We also have Chinese officials saying the virus was discovered in European sewers last year, before it ever showed up in Wuhan.

If it did originate at the market, we may now never know the original animal source.

BBM ... Are you able to point me to an article (link) that states that the market was scrubbed prior to testing any of the wildlife? That wildlife was perhaps not removed and/or sought and taken to labs for testing?

It seems obvious to me that the same wildlife may not have been at the market when it was closed, because the market was not shut down until the virus had already spread and become "an unknown type of pneumonia".

I have been googling for that info for a while, and I can't seem to find any information that says that market wildlife was not tested. (Even if it couldn't possibly have been the same wildlife that started the initial outbreak.)

I am finding lots of other interesting tidbits, but not that particular information.

The strongest evidence of the virus’s origin points to a section of the Huanan open-air market where more than 75 species of stressed wildlife were stacked in wire cages and slaughtered on-site for buyers. “You almost couldn’t design a more perfect setting for the transmission of disease,” says Teresa Telecky, HSI vice president for wildlife. “Animals are crowded together and you have all these fluids—blood, saliva, feces.” After the government closed the market, tests revealed the virus in the wildlife section.
Scientists are searching for the “intermediate host” mammal that carried the virus from bats to Wuhan.

What you need to know about wildlife markets and COVID-19

Last edited:
I'm sure it's been discussed already,
I just have to express how angry (using a nice word here) I am right now after seeing this!
½ of the people in my county must have attended.
My daughter JUST found out that she is carrying TWINS-
There is a little issue with one regarding it having no heartbeat, but she was right at 6 wks when the scan done, so we are praying that she will hear it on November 12th!
They are identical if she doesn't end up with a vanishing twin situation.
Maybe there won't be a massive breakout in 2 weeks.
I'm praying for that too!
No one learned ANYTHING from the super spreader Church event that started in Cartersville in Bartow county obviously!
Rome Ga, Floyd county is only
26 miles away.
MOO
Georgia Trump rally attendees stranded waiting for buses in campaign chaos
:eek::eek::eek:
(° _°)...

I think about this all --the-- time, too.

Would those who don't wear masks or social distance out of principal take full responsibility for this war that is killing their neighbors?

Would they take responsibility for all the nurses who have died, or have PTSD, or have quit... because they refused to do what all professionals say is needed to halt the disease?

Who is the enemy here?

Seems to me that the freedoms we have, come with some sacrifice and responsibility. And cost.

And who will be brought to trial at our "Nuremberg Trials"
The Chinese??? Noooooooooo, they did not kill their own people, and tried to help us not kill ours.
I see this as a war, albeit a different type. We have an enemy (COVID-19), we have people fighting it (health care individuals), we are mobilizing (vaccine). We do have generals, some responsible, some who should not be in their present position (as with all wars). What we don't have is a commander. While there will never be a Nuremberg Trial, IMO there should be.

and thank you for that trivia....... learning about lots of things on this site---because we have many countries represented.

Feels goooood to feel like we ARE part of the World here.....

It's also nice that we have members posting on this thread from all over the United States, although not every state appears to be represented.

CNN: US coronavirus: 'We are breaking records all over the place': Why this Covid-19 surge is worse than the others - CNN

No one wants another shutdown. But Americans who don't wear masks and ignore social distancing are fueling that possibility, doctors say.

"We are breaking records all over the place here. The rate of acceleration of this virus is just increasing," emergency medicine physician Dr. Leana Wen said.

"We're already seeing our hospitals at breaking point in some parts of the country. And that means it doesn't just affect patients with coronavirus. It also means that elective surgeries are being put off for things like hip replacements, for cancer surgery or heart surgery in some cases," she said.

The US just set a record for the highest seven-day average of daily new cases: 81,336 as of Sunday. That's the first time the number has ever topped 80,000, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.

And once again, increases in new cases are far exceeding new testing. Over the past week, new cases have increased 18%, according to Johns Hopkins. But the number of new tests performed has gone up only 4.29%, according to the Covid Tracking Project.

Mongolia - right next to China - has had a fabulous covid response. And has been rewarded with no covid deaths.
Within 72 hours of hearing about the virus - on 24th January - a national plan went into effect.
They focused entirely on prevention ... masks, hand washing, stopped eating shared food, physically distanced ... and have had no community transmission. Only imported cases.

A really good example of having a national plan, and implementing it right away.

This video shows Mongolian COVID-19 experience.

This was great. Well worth the 20 minutes or so. Thanks @margarita25. :) I was happy to note that Dr Fauci and I are on the same page that the speed at which COVID-19 deaths have happened is much more overwhelming to us than, for example, the much larger number of deaths from HIV-AIDS gradually over a span of almost 40 years. It’s not just a matter of comparing the numbers who have died to other events, but the short time frame. We have been slammed with this in such a short time that it’s hard to process emotionally IMO.

He had a good explanation for the different recommendations about wearing masks early on that the President throws in his face as an example of mistakes Dr Fauci has made. And he had some interesting things to say about things they theoretically could have done differently or better at the very beginning...with the caveat that U.S. citizens probably would not have accepted the measures. He does believe that the response needed to be handled on a federal level, rather than have states, cities, etc. all doing different things. Again, well worth a listen.

I exchange emails with a couple of French friends. They are amazed at the COVID non-plan. I explained there are 50 different states with 50 different plans - same with the 2020 election. They were astounded and said no wonder things are in such disarray.

And within some states, complete independence for counties and cities. So lots of different plans.

Everyone confused. Conflicting information.

US is a mess.

United States Coronavirus: 9,567,414 Cases and 236,993 Deaths - Worldometer

We are having a spike too...about half of our states...

I exchange emails with a couple of French friends. They are amazed at the COVID non-plan. I explained there are 50 different states with 50 different plans - same with the 2020 election. They were astounded and said no wonder things are in such disarray.
But other countries do have a similar regional approach: in Canada, healthcare is a provincial issue and each province is dealing with closures and rules separately, although the federal government provides scientific advice. But Trudeau is very careful not to tell people what to do beyond social distancing and washing hands. So, BC and Ontario have different strategies (like whether strip clubs are open, or masks are mandatory or just recommended). Similarly, Germany has a decentralized response: Why Germany's coronavirus strategy might come back to haunt it

I just have to express how angry (using a nice word here) I am right now after seeing this!
There is a little issue with one regarding it having no heartbeat, but she was right at 6 wks when the scan done, so we are praying that she will hear it on November 12th!
No one learned ANYTHING from the super spreader Church event that started in Cartersville in Bartow county obviously!
26 miles away.
MOO
(° _°)...

❤️❤️prayers!

Iowa numbers today: As of 10:00-11:00 a.m., we had 1,469 new confirmed cases for a total of 131,713 confirmed cases of which 93,813 had recovered (+302). 17 more were reported to have passed for a total of 1,733. There are 37,900 active positive cases.
108 were hospitalized in the last 24 hrs. for a total of 718 (+42 new daily record). Here are the daily age groups: 0-17: 11,759 (+139); 18-40: 58,401 (+517); 41-60: 36,776 (+443); 61-80: 19,227 (+272); & 81+: 5,518 (+98).
Nov. 2: Iowa reports 1,469 more COVID-19 cases, 17 more deaths as hospitalizations pass 700
Iowa COVID-19 Information

We need our governments to be funding veterinarians, scientists and researchers like these IMO:

I would say..."dream on!" and I hope that sometime in the future this comes to pass (but I do not hope to live to see it).

Voting is important in this case - many will vote against anything that spends $ on non-humans. Governments apparently only do the minimum - and only what their bases say is important.

26 miles away.
MOO
(° _°)...

Ah - our hearts go out to you. We need to remember what it is happening at the human, personal level. I get caught up in studies and statistics - but the real heart of the matter is...our families and our loved ones.

We who want to preserve the health of our families are being driven into closets/houses, with no alternatives. I won't say more - except to say, you have many prayers and many positive thoughts send your way.

Being a mother is really hard (truly hard). I wish we could all understand that. Mothers having to worry about Covid plus all the other things mothers worry about...truly tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member