CO - Shanann Watts (34), Celeste"Cece" (3) and Bella (4), Frederick, 13 Aug 2018 *CW LWOP* #73

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many young single women such as NK are just dying to have a future with a man who is cheating on his wife, will be paying child support for 3 children for many years and who has serious financial problems? All for some good times behind bedroom doors. Desperation comes to mind.

How many young single women such as NK are just dying to have a future with a man who is cheating on his wife, will be paying child support for 3 children for many years and who has serious financial problems? All for some good times behind bedroom doors. Desperation comes to mind.
IIRC she encouraged him to set up a bank account just for himself, to siphon off part of his pay. Trying to hurt the wife and kids so she could get him into an apartment.

Your recollection is correct. HR didn't know of anything out of the ordinary (including anything about the affair) but they agreed to check for email communications b/w CW and NK and I think they also said they'd check his company phone records to see if there had been calls between them.

Lots of people believe NK knew much more than she let on and many believe she was at minimum an accomplice after the fact. Reasons commonly cited include her phone pinging in Frederick around 6:00 a.m. the day SW went missing, and that's the only time it ever happened before or since on a weekday morning. It's also reported she didn't punch in at work that morning and it's rumored she was late, but I don't know that as a fact. Plus there are enhanced videos published on the web that show what looks like a 2nd person coming out of the garage after CW backed the truck in. Don't think I can link them here because of TOS but they're easy to find if you google.

I have my opinion, but either way it doesn't matter. If NK was involved in any way, she's gotten away with it. LE is adamant they will not investigate her any further and I believe them.

Would LE maybe take another look at NK if CW wins his appeal attempt?

The only way I can see that happening is if CW’s defense argues NK committed one or more of the murders herself.

From what I understand & correct me if I'm wrong, but he wants an appeal because he feels like he was railroaded into a confession. I think his "Dearest Mommy" is pushing for it saying that the state didn't have the evidence to convict him beyond a reasonable doubt without his confession if he had gone to trial? So, if he wins an appeal, his defense team would almost have to introduce alternative scenarios, ie NK did it or helped, right? None of his justifications make any sense and contrary to his beliefs, he's never getting out of prison!

I’ve seen it said over and over that LE will not pursue investigating NK. But why not exactly? If she was involved, she should be held accountable. If she wasn’t, her name should be cleared. Same for anyone else who may have been involved. Why does she get to avoid being investigated?

I’ve seen it said over and over that LE will not pursue investigating NK. But why not exactly? If she was involved, she should be held accountable. If she wasn’t, her name should be cleared. Same for anyone else who may have been involved. Why does she get to avoid being investigated?
I think evidence shows it’s clear that CW acted alone in murdering his wife and children. He was alone at the house with them and he alone killed them. Why pursue NK if there is no evidence to suggest she was involved? It one thing to have an affair with a married man. It’s quite another to be involved in the planning or action of murdering 4 people. I think they dropped it because there simply is no evidence to support her involvement. Moo

I think evidence shows it’s clear that CW acted alone in murdering his wife and children. He was alone at the house with them and he alone killed them. Why pursue NK if there is no evidence to suggest she was involved? It one thing to have an affair with a married man. It’s quite another to be involved in the planning or action of murdering 4 people. I think they dropped it because there simply is no evidence to support her involvement. Moo
I was thinking that unless they investigated her, how would they know if there was evidence linking her? My guess is a lot of people were investigated to some degree before being ruled out. His coworkers who were at the site that morning, the friends he stayed with the first night Shanann was missing, possibly anyone whose fingerprints may have been in his work truck, etc. add to that that NK actually had a reason to not want Shanann around and that’s plenty of reason to look at her very closely. Moo

I tend to agree with you BUT I think there was no "obvious" evidence that she was involved. CW confessed and denied her involvement. I think LE had the evidence to backup his confession therefore there was no need to dig any deeper. Once he plead guilty, it was basically an open and shut case. I don't think they could build a case against NK now even if CW came back and accused her unless he had some undeniable evidence that has been hidden all this time. FWIW, I think NK played some part in what happened more than just being his muse or whatever. I just haven't decided what I think she did.

We really don't know to what extent they did investigate her. If she had alibis for the corresponding time period, and if the murderer said she wasn't involved, what should LE have done? Insist that yes she was somehow involved, without evidence, and possibly push the true murderer into, what? Separate trials, with him insisting that she didn't do it, and LE insisting she had some part? What a big waste of time and money.

I said all along that I think when they got back from nc, NK could see he was waffling, so she gave him an ultimatum. Leave your family or I'm outta here.

She, per her own discussions with her friend, admitted to various failed relationships. She was used to all the head games played in relationships at that age when most other people are well into families/kids. I think she pressured him intensely that Saturday, and during the 111 minute conversation.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. LE undoubtedly felt pretty satisfied with the plea. He was sentence to something like 150 years, off the streets for the rest of his life.

When watching the doc, I thought that the employer said on the phone that they knew of nothing out of the ordinary with CW? Did I completely miss something where they mentioned NK? I've listened to three podcasts so far with zero mention of them knowing about her already prior to her going there. They all mentioned her google search history, which is alarming. And if she was at the Watts home, she didn't think there was something off about pictures of Shanann, Chris and the kids happy as ever all over the place? If they were getting a separation like she said she was told - those pictures would have not been up. And again, Shanann's FB was public and wide open. I know people who have been the mistress, they will routinely check the wife's FB/Insta/Twitter for any kind of update. She knew the entire time she was the other woman, and I do not feel sorry for her in any way, shape or form. I wouldn't be surprised if she helped CW with this somehow. He killed his family to be with her, so I wouldn't put it past him to protect her from being arrested.
Later the employer discovered emails between Chris and NK and called detectives to let them know. I think CW was also using the company phone to communicate with her.

And yes, NK did notice all the pictures of Shannan and the girls and I think she felt intimidated by them. She told detectives she felt like Chris had the perfect home and the perfect family and didn't understand why he would want to leave all that.

She was already investigated and the DA said he was confident that CW alone was responsible for the crime. He said he believed there were several motives, but mainly Chris wanted to start fresh with a new, exciting woman and in his mind the only way he could do that was by eliminating his family.

I tend to agree with you BUT I think there was no "obvious" evidence that she was involved. CW confessed and denied her involvement. I think LE had the evidence to backup his confession therefore there was no need to dig any deeper. Once he plead guilty, it was basically an open and shut case. I don't think they could build a case against NK now even if CW came back and accused her unless he had some undeniable evidence that has been hidden all this time. FWIW, I think NK played some part in what happened more than just being his muse or whatever. I just haven't decided what I think she did.
It was so clear from day one CW had done something to SW. IMO LE didn’t investigate as thoroughly as they might have. For starters they let CW spend the night alone in the house the day SW and the girls went missing. Plus I don’t think they ever fingerprinted inside the house to see if anyone else might have been present. They also didn’t investigate NK (or anyone else for that matter) the way they would have if they had no proof CW killed them.

And it happened so fast. Monday afternoon SW is reported missing. Word didn’t even get out publicly until Tuesday. Wednesday night CW was at the police station and confessed. SW and the girls were recovered by the weekend.

LE isn’t interested in reopening the NK worm can. Not at all. The Watts case was clinically traumatic for many of the investigators. The lead detective has been quite candid about the impact the case has had on him. Not only did he leave law enforcement permanently but his PTSD is so bad his hair fell out in patches. He’s still barely able to leave his house because he breaks down at the sight of little girls. I’m sure he’s not the only one suffering. I imagine the mere thought of asking the original investigators ( and every officer in the dept was part it) to dive back into that nightmare would be extremely hard

Plus, consensus is LE did a great job in the case. CW was in jail within 72 hours of the crime and on his way to prison for life 3 months later. It was a big win for LE in that small town. Reopening the investigation might tarnish the win.

Those are two possible reasons that might explain why LE is adamant they won’t investigate NK.

And there may be one more. I have no hard evidence to support this but have a hunch part of CW’s plea deal was an agreement that LE would immediately and permanently cease any investigation involving NK. It would explain quite a bit IMO.

Would LE maybe take another look at NK if CW wins his appeal attempt?
Possibly. My understanding was that because CW took a plea deal, the investigation was not completed (according to the CBI during the prison interview, they had only just started the investigation (in investigative terms that is)). Therefore, it is possible that as the investigation progressed, more information could have come to light that would make LE take 'another look' at NK. If memory serves me right, LE categorically said that NK was not involved.

Those are two possible reasons that might explain why LE is adamant they won’t investigate NK.

And there may be one more. I have no hard evidence to support this but have a hunch part of CW’s plea deal was an agreement that LE would immediately and permanently cease any investigation involving NK. It would explain quite a bit IMO.
RSBM - you may have a point there. BUT, I do not think that if LE had even the tiniest inkling of NK being involved, they would have gone after her too.

There definitely needed to be more than the DP being taken away.

I always thought it was the sealed medical records, but who knows, you could be right!

Later the employer discovered emails between Chris and NK and called detectives to let them know. I think CW was also using the company phone to communicate with her.

And yes, NK did notice all the pictures of Shannan and the girls and I think she felt intimidated by them. She told detectives she felt like Chris had the perfect home and the perfect family and didn't understand why he would want to leave all that.
But it didn't stop her pursuing him. I take what NK said in her interviews with a pinch of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88