Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #86

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mark has company, of course.

[URL='https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1324936217465597952%7Ctwgr%5Eshare_3&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.democraticunderground.com%2F100214485007']Jennifer Jacobs

@JenniferJJacobs[/URL]
NEWS: Along with Trump chief of staff Mark Meadows, at least FOUR other White House aides currently have coronavirus, per sources. Pains were taken to keep Meadows’ illness a secret, I’m told. And people around him who knew were told to keep quiet.

Yes - the nursing/care home/extreme elderly died off in greater numbers (death rate has dropped). No change in the numbers of very sick people.

We are going to have a lot of very sick people. Who can't get very good care, as PCP's in most states still don't know what to do with the moderate to moderately severe cases (except wait for them to get critical, hospitals are already full).

About 2400 deaths in late April, based off of about 17-20,000 daily new cases 3 weeks prior. Again, mortality rates have dropped (thank goodness) but what will 132,000 new cases a day bring?

https://news.google.com/covid19/map?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US:en&mid=/m/09c7w0

These two families watched loved ones die of coronavirus in overwhelmed Utah hospitals

Oct. 11, Lindsay Wootton said, was among the worst days she’s ever had.

First, she learned her mom, Tracy Larsen, a 56-year-old who worked with special-needs kids in the North Sanpete School District, was going to die after a long battle with the coronavirus. A few minutes later, she learned her grandpa, Bert Porter, would, too.

In the father and daughter’s last phone conversation, Porter explained to Larsen he was dying. She told him that she was, too.

“I’ll look for you in heaven,” Porter told her. He was dead less than an hour later.

Terribly sad.

“Yesterday, Sen. Harris and I held meetings with groups of experts on public health and the economic crisis this country is facing," Biden said. "The pandemic, as you also know, is getting more worrisome all across the country. Cases are skyrocketing. It’s believed we could see as many as 200,000 cases a day, and the death toll is approaching 240,000 lives lost. 240,000 empty chairs across America."

Biden's speech came as the United States set a new record when it surpassed 125,000 daily coronavirus infections.

Biden: "We're not waiting to get the work done"

“Yesterday, Sen. Harris and I held meetings with groups of experts on public health and the economic crisis this country is facing," Biden said. "The pandemic, as you also know, is getting more worrisome all across the country. Cases are skyrocketing. It’s believed we could see as many as 200,000 cases a day, and the death toll is approaching 240,000 lives lost. 240,000 empty chairs across America."

Biden's speech came as the United States set a new record when it surpassed 125,000 daily coronavirus infections.

Biden: "We're not waiting to get the work done"

I was getting ready to paraphrase jus this. Obviously the actual links are better. It was balm to my soul to hear our most likely President Elect actually care about the biggest crisis our county has seen in a very long while. 115,00 daily infections is horrific!

Last edited:

There is another version of the plan here, and I am really happy to read it.
Understandably, there will be stumbling blocks. But it is so good to see a plan.

- Dr Fauci will have unfettered aceess to speak directly with the American people
- Creation of a Pandemic Testing Board (just as FDR created a War Production Board to massively scale up the production and allocation of equipment and supplies needed for World War II)
- Increase testing sites, until there is no/little waiting
- Hiring (at least) 100,000 people for a national contact tracing force
- Establish a sustainable supply chain for PPE, suppplies and other medical help
- Pay healthcare workers suitably for being pandemic workers
- Emergency paid leave for people who catch the virus, or need to care for a loved one who caught the virus
- Housing to enable healthcare workers to quarantine away from loved ones, if needed
- Strengthen healthcare peer-to-peer learning
- Ramp up vaccine manufacturing, of a variety of covid vaccines

..... and more

BEAT COVID-19

(Hopefully this is allowed, as it is from an official website - and voting is over)

Last edited:

Jennifer Jacobs
@JenniferJJacobs

NEWS: Along with Trump chief of staff Mark Meadows, at least FOUR other White House aides currently have coronavirus, per sources. Pains were taken to keep Meadows’ illness a secret, I’m told. And people around him who knew were told to keep quiet.

Another WH outbreak looming?

Mr Meadows was at a White House election night party attended by dozens of Trump loyalists.
White House chief of staff Mark Meadows diagnosed with COVID-19, sources say

I don't get it. Why was there a need to develop a test? A faulty one at that.

Hasn't the rest of the world been using the PCR test? Why couldn't the US use what we all use?

Maybe I am missing something?

The pharmaceutical manufacturers have the FDA under their thumb.

In the US, citizens have always had trouble getting the sorts of drugs, devices, and tests citizens of other nations have easy access to--because of the FDA.

The FDA will tell you our drugs and medical devices are of higher quality, but I doubt that's true, especially in light of this story.

People want safe drugs and devices, so they're lured into thinking the FDA is acting in their best interest, but cases have arisen wherein top FDA officials have taken jobs with Big Pharma and vice versa.

No covid test will be used in the US until the FDA says it will be used, and if there's a profit somewhere to be made from manufacturing tests, the crony capitalism inherent in our system will rule the day.

Believe me -- we have our issues here.

The wife of a friend just had a heart attack and since we live in a small rural community, her doctor chose to transfer her to a larger facility in Wichita, KS. The hospitals in Wichita said, "Sorry, but we're overwhelmed with covid cases--no room." So, she was transferred to Salina, KS., even though they don't have the exact facilities her doctor wanted for her care. She's in her early 50s. She's going to be okay, they say, but still...

The hospital situation came as a shock to her husband and when he was told that it's been on the news, he said he rarely watches the actual news anymore. He gets some news online but when they watch TV, it's only to watch Nexflix or something similar.

I wonder how many people are that way? How many don't watch local news but instead scan the net for some national news/weather and then just forget about it?

I canceled our print newspaper a couple of years ago because it sold to a big media conglomerate and quit carrying interesting local stuff. How many of us really know what's happening in our own communities?

The wife of a friend just had a heart attack and since we live in a small rural community, her doctor chose to transfer her to a larger facility in Wichita, KS. The hospitals in Wichita said, "Sorry, but we're overwhelmed with covid cases--no room." So, she was transferred to Salina, KS., even though they don't have the exact facilities her doctor wanted for her care. She's in her early 50s. She's going to be okay, they say, but still...

The hospital situation came as a shock to her husband and when he was told that it's been on the news, he said he rarely watches the actual news anymore. He gets some news online but when they watch TV, it's only to watch Nexflix or something similar.

I wonder how many people are that way? How many don't watch local news but instead scan the net for some national news/weather and then just forget about it?

I canceled our print newspaper a couple of years ago because it sold to a big media conglomerate and quit carrying interesting local stuff. How many of us really know what's happening in our own communities?

I am betting that an immeasurable amount of people there only get their "news" from FaceBook.

And if they don't interact on FB with the posts from organisations like WHO and UNICEF, they won't see them, and they will have no idea what is going on all around the world with regard to this pandemic.

These FB posts also include how to protect yourself and others. And what governments should be doing to help stop the spread.

Pandemic education is lost on such people, and I am afraid that there well may be many, many of them.

I am betting that an immeasurable amount of people there only get their "news" from FaceBook.

And if they don't interact on FB with the posts from organisations like WHO and UNICEF, they won't see them, and they will have no idea what is going on all around the world with regard to this pandemic.

These posts also include how to protect yourself and others. And what governments should be doing to help stop the spread.

I think you're right. Social media isn't a viable substitute for real news and information, so people are missing out on so much. I doubt very many FB users check out UNICEF or any other authority, so they're missing out.

What a scare for your friend and her husband! I’m glad she’ll be OK, but what a time to find out about hospitals being overwhelmed.

We don’t watch local news much either, but I check out the FB pages of all three stations to see what I need and/or want to know. I can do that faster than the 30-60 minutes I’d spend watching the news and I can dig deeper if I want to. Same with national and Oregon news. I’d rather read online newspapers than watch TV. I get an email daily about Oregon Covid news and I get my other Covid news here on WS...best source ever! :) I can’t imagine not staying informed and just living in a news-free bubble, but I do know people who find it too stressful to stay on top of things. There’s a happy medium IMO.

In my town we had regularly updating of cases and what was going on this spring. As soon as we suddenly opened back up and it became a politically divisive issue our local newspaper stopped reporting cases and what was going on with the hospital.

I have not seen one update on the actual state or spread of covid in our town since with the exception of schools. We don't discuss how prevalent it is by any means but there have been articles when an entire school had to close or teams were forced to stop playing. I mean we have a big hospital here too! But they don't discuss what's going on with covid there. I wouldn't know what my local hospital was like because it seems people are deliberately withholding information that's deemed "negative".

I've even had someone fairly local to me, but in another county, blast me on FB for sharing the information I had from other local sources on COVID. People here who are reporting what's going on with the public information. I was told that someone at their hospital said the information was "fake news". So even then people are determined to believe the public health departments or hospitals are actually reporting lies. It didn't matter what their hospital was reporting directly to the health department and what the health dept was reporting. That was fake news. And you have to seek out this info. The papers aren't discussing what the health depts are reporting to the government. People here are having to file repeated freedom of information filings to gain access to information our governor keeps trying to hide.

So yeah I am not the least bit surprised that my elderly father who only listens to one news network is convinced the numbers are fake and it's all blown out of proportion. :( The concerted attempts to hide information from the public are going to have deadly consequences.

I think you're right. Social media isn't a viable substitute for real news and information, so people are missing out on so much. I doubt very many FB users check out UNICEF or any other authority, so they're missing out.

FB used to have a feed on the right full of news articles. I loved it. I was so disappointed when they got rid of it. I don't watch the local news station either. I am disappointed in how few people in my FB feed share any relevant news at all. It's seen as being depressing and negative I think. I recently started following news stations on Twitter because I can actually see the news in my feed. FB filters so much out it's awful.

But WS has been the best source of news hands down this year. I can't emphasize just how much I've appreciated this thread and the constant flow of information from around the world. I don't know what I'd do without it!

The pharmaceutical manufacturers have the FDA under their thumb.

In the US, citizens have always had trouble getting the sorts of drugs, devices, and tests citizens of other nations have easy access to--because of the FDA.

The FDA will tell you our drugs and medical devices are of higher quality, but I doubt that's true, especially in light of this story.

People want safe drugs and devices, so they're lured into thinking the FDA is acting in their best interest, but cases have arisen wherein top FDA officials have taken jobs with Big Pharma and vice versa.

No covid test will be used in the US until the FDA says it will be used, and if there's a profit somewhere to be made from manufacturing tests, the crony capitalism inherent in our system will rule the day.

Believe me -- we have our issues here.

Don't be too hard on your FDA. They really do a lot of good work to keep untested and unproven drugs from wrecking havoc. Remember Thalidomide? If it's any consolation to you, the Canadian Food and Drug Administration is usually still testing, long after the FDA has approved a drug.

[URL='https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1324936217465597952%7Ctwgr%5Eshare_3&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.democraticunderground.com%2F100214485007']Jennifer Jacobs

@JenniferJJacobs[/URL]

Oh golly. I suppose this means they are missing out on all this fun.

Yes - the nursing/care home/extreme elderly died off in greater numbers (death rate has dropped). No change in the numbers of very sick people.

We are going to have a lot of very sick people. Who can't get very good care, as PCP's in most states still don't know what to do with the moderate to moderately severe cases (except wait for them to get critical, hospitals are already full).

About 2400 deaths in late April, based off of about 17-20,000 daily new cases 3 weeks prior. Again, mortality rates have dropped (thank goodness) but what will 132,000 new cases a day bring?

https://news.google.com/covid19/map?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US:en&mid=/m/09c7w0

Terribly sad.

Please, everyone here get a pulse oximeter. Perhaps buy one for a friend. Pretty please as it would make some of us feel better that you have one. This "stay at home" until you are sick enough to be in the hospital....we know it just doesn't cut it as a large percentage who were 90% or less had no idea. Reports come in of people that were in low 80's and high 70's saying they didn't realize they were low nor having that much problems breathing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo