GUILTY AR - Rebekah Gould, 22, murdered, Guion, 20 Sept 2004 *arrest in 2020*

Unsolved Mystery: The murder of Rebekah Gould

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Video: Web Extra: Arkansas Father Pushes for Better Access to Daughter's Murder Investigation

"MOUNTAIN HOME, Ark. - It’s been 14 years since Arkansas State Police took over the investigation into Rebekah Gould’s murder.

Rebekah’s father Dr. Larry Gould explains why he believes there should be more checks and balances for law enforcement investigating cold cases, like his daughter’s.

In the attached web extra, he tells KARK how a fresh set of eyes could take Rebekah’s case in a different direction."

WATCH: Arkansas Father Pushes for Better Access to Daughter's Murder Investigation
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Podcaster: 'Hell and Gone' coming back soon

March 7, 2019

"The true-crime podcast investigating the unsolved murder of Rebekah Gould will return for a second season later this year, the podcast’s author said Thursday.

Catherine Townsend, a true-crime author, licensed private investigator and host of the "Hell and Gone" podcast focusing on Gould’s murder, said the series will return with new episodes in late May or June....

"Hell and Gone" debuted last year with eight episodes and takes listeners through Townsend’s on-location murder investigation. The podcast covers several major theories in the case and includes interviews with suspects and round-table style discussions about the case with Townsend and her investigative team...."

https://www.baxterbulletin.com/stor...er-hell-and-gone-coming-back-soon/3096952002/

Hell and Gone

Establishing the Facts in the Unsolved Murder of Rebekah Gould

February 27, 2019

By Jennifer Bucholtz, Faculty Member, Criminal Justice and Forensic Science at American Military University

"Podcast fanatics may be familiar with Catherine Townsend’s recently released series called “Hell and Gone.” The podcast covers the murder of Rebekah Gould, a 22-year-old college student, near Melbourne, Arkansas in September 2004. To this day, the case remains unsolved and no suspects have been charged.

Rebekah’s case has been handled by the Arkansas State Police (ASP) almost from day one. Even though she was killed more than 14 years ago, the ASP refuses to make public any of the investigative records, notes, or photographs associated with her case under the pretext that it is still an active case. Rebekah’s family has petitioned for those files to be released, with no success.

Despite the limited information, Townsend tracked down several key players in the case, including some who were on the original suspect list, and convinced them to speak on her podcast. At the end of her series, however, I was left with multiple questions about the actual evidence and facts of the case, which led me to conduct some of my own research.

I have spent hours contacting people who have firsthand knowledge of the case and done my best to verify the details. As I did previously with the Steven Avery case, I sought to nail down the known crime scene facts and provide a detailed analysis of the forensic evidence.

The Facts of the Case..."

https://inpublicsafety.com/2019/02/establishing-the-facts-in-the-unsolved-murder-of-rebekah-gould/
---

How Was Rebekah Gould Killed? Analysis of the Murder Weapon and Crime Scene

February 28, 2019

By Jennifer Bucholtz, Faculty Member, Criminal Justice and Forensic Science at American Military University

"There are many questions that surround the 2004 unsolved murder of 22-year-old college student Rebekah Gould. Some of the most crucial questions center around the murder weapon: What weapon was used to kill her and what can the use of that weapon tell us about her killer?

As far as we know, the murder weapon was not recovered at the crime scene, at the body dump site, or elsewhere by police. The autopsy report indicated that Rebekah died from blunt force trauma to the left side of her head, caused by one or two blows from a solid object. We can’t be sure exactly what object was used but, at a minimum, the method of injury/death can be a crucial indicator of the motive behind the crime.

In Rebekah’s case, she was struck violently on the head, indicating emotion or rage from the killer. This was a personal attack, likely stemming from an altercation, argument, or interaction the killer had with her in the 48 hours prior to her death. We can deduce this because had the interaction occurred prior to the weekend before she died, the killer would have either (1) planned out the crime, which would have resulted in a more efficient murder and clean-up, or (2) not gone through with the murder because enough time would have passed for his or her emotions to subside.

Rebekah’s injuries, the rushed clean-up, and the way her body was disposed of all indicate that this was not a premeditated crime.

The Murder Weapon: A Piano Leg?..."

How Was Rebekah Gould Killed? Analysis of the Murder Weapon and Crime Scene - In Public Safety
---

On-the-Ground Research Leads to Revelations in Rebekah Gould’s Murder

March 6, 2019

"In February 2019, my husband and I set off on a 13-hour drive to Arkansas. We arrived late at night and checked into a motel in Melbourne. It was clear everyone we came in contact with over the next three days knew we were outsiders, due to our out-of-state license plates and lack of southern accents. Yet not one person asked us where we were from or why we were in the area. That lack of interest, though a bit surprising, was perfectly fine since it allowed us to remain anonymous while we conducted some firsthand investigation into the murder of Rebekah Gould.

Rebekah was a 22-year-old college student who was murdered in Melbourne, Arkansas over 14 years ago, in September 2004. Although the case has gone unsolved thus far and no suspects have been charged, I am confident there are more details about the murder that can be uncovered from my research.

Drawing New Conclusions from Visiting the Disposal Site..."

On-the-Ground Research Leads to Revelations in Rebekah Gould's Murder - In Public Safety
---

Analyzing the Evidence to Help Identify Rebekah Gould’s Killer

March 12, 2019

"During my recent trip to Arkansas, I uncovered a lot of new information related to the murder of Rebekah Gould, which is discussed in my previous article. These new facts and details have provided a wealth of insight into who might have killed the 22-year old college student 14 years ago. In this article and the next, I will provide my analysis of the evidence and how it has helped me narrow down potential suspects to one person whom I believe is likely to be Rebekah’s murderer.

The Likely Route Between Crime Scenes Indicates a Local Killer...

Additional New Information, Post-Arkansas Visit

After returning from Arkansas, I came across even more information I had not previously been aware of that contributes to possible circumstances of this murder..."

Analyzing the Evidence to Help Identify Rebekah Gould’s Killer - In Public Safety

Gould_PavedRoutes2.jpg

U3X2CAOWE5BPBMTNO2OSVGQDRM.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Analyzing Rebekah Gould’s Autopsy Report

March 18, 2019

"One of the most challenging aspects in solving the murder of 22-year-old Rebekah Gould is the inconclusive nature of her autopsy report. As discussed in an earlier article, Rebekah’s body decomposed quickly due to being exposed to the elements for six to seven days in the high Arkansas temperatures in September of 2004. As a result, it was difficult for the medical examiner to conclusively identify all of her potential injuries and provide definitive information about them...."

Analyzing Rebekah Gould’s Autopsy Report - In Public Safety

Gould_Autopsy-Report_FeatureImage.jpg

Podcaster: 'Hell and Gone' returns soon with new episodes

March 25th, 2019

"MOUNTAIN HOME, Ark.—The true-crime podcast investigating the unsolved murder of Rebekah Gould will return for a second season later this year, the podcast's author said.

Catherine Townsend, a true-crime author, licensed private investigator and host of the "Hell and Gone" podcast focusing on Gould's murder, said the series will return with new episodes in late May or June, The Baxter Bulletin reported...."

Podcaster: 'Hell and Gone' returns soon with new episodes

Circumstantial Evidence Could Bring Rebekah Gould’s Killer to Justice

April 12, 2019

"Editor’s Note: This is the eighth article in a series reviewing and analyzing the facts and evidence related to the murder of Rebekah Gould. Read the first article to learn about the facts of the case, forensic evidence, and the means, motive, and opportunity of the killer. Read the second article for more analysis about the murder weapon, the crime scene, and location where Rebekah’s body was found. Read the third article for new revelations and information discovered by the author during her visit to the area where Rebekah was murdered. Read the fourth article analyzing new evidence to help identify her killer. Read the fifth article analyzing her autopsy report. Read the sixth article that answers reader’s questions. Read the seventh article that utilizes geographic profiling and psychology to gain insight to the mind of the killer.

My previous seven articles, as noted above, discuss and analyze the known facts of the murder of Rebekah Gould more than 14 years ago. The collected information can be used to build a strong circumstantial case against the killer. I believe the evidence and information in this case would hold up in court and prove who the killer is beyond a reasonable doubt—the requirement for a jury to convict someone.

Below are the circumstantial conclusions I have drawn based on my analysis of the known facts:..."

Circumstantial Evidence Could Bring Rebekah Gould’s Killer to Justice - In Public Safety

New billboard going up offering reward in Rebekah Gould case

September 9, 2019

"MELBOURNE, Ark. (KAIT) - A new billboard advertising a reward in the murder case of Rebekah Gould will be installed Tuesday.

According to Jen Bucholtz, a private investigator working on the case, the billboard will advertise a $25,000 reward for information leading to an arrest and conviction in the case.

Gould, who was from Mountain View, was found dead on September 27, 2004 in a wooded area off of Highway 9 south of Melbourne, seven days after she was reported missing.

Sept. 20 will mark 15 years since Gould’s murder."

New billboard going up offering reward in Rebekah Gould case

U3X2CAOWE5BPBMTNO2OSVGQDRM.jpg

This is a troubling case. I have been reviewing the facts of this cold case, which are limited as it is an ongoing investigation for the Arkansas State Police who have jurisdiction. It is very unsettling that it has been 15 years since Rebekah Gould's murder and that justice has not been served.

There is a podcast that was produced last year by Catherine Townsend as well as some informative pieces by Jennifer Bucholtz as noted by YesOrNo that are available. There are two local journalists, George Jared and AK Barnes, who appear to be covering the case in Arkansas as well and have put out information.

I think as you websleuthers review the case and gumshoe what information you can, you will all realize the case is solvable. This is a rural area of the Ozarks where justice may be served but at their own discretion and their own pace. That is not to say the LE of AR are unjust rather it maintains a high burden of proof for their criminal justice system. The Police and courts probably do have enough information to indict someone from our perspective but locally, it may not be sufficient and there may be other factors at play for why this has not been brought before the courts. This is a region of the US where people have known each other for decades. I suspect there are some political/familial motives at play which we as outsiders may not understand but it is not an excuse to delay justice for Rebekah's death.

A few nagging questions I have...
Was Rebekahs cellphone recovered and what were the contents? In 2004, cellphone reception for this area was not good. Did she send/receive a call or text or email in the last hours of her life? Land line phone? Any records at all of communications.
Was there foreign DNA recovered from the murder site or dump site?
Was there signs of vehicle tracks leaving the property?
Rebekah's dog was at the murder site, what was the dogs disposition? Why did the killer spare the dog? Did the dog track any blood? Did the killer appease the dog with food or did the killer have previous contact with the dog that the dog would not be a nuisance to them?
Why did the killer even bother to attempt a cleanup? Did they think they had time to return to the murder site? Why did the killer feel it was necessary to move Rebekah out of the trailer and place her on the opposite side of town?
It was reported that the killer started loads of laundry to wash bloody items, why? To remove their own DNA or did they plan to use the sheets again, were they sentimental?

At this point, we need to reexamine the case from the beginning. Use the resources out there to gather the facts. Townsends podcast is interesting and I applaud Catherine for her commitment but remember that those authors may have their own agenda as well as those journalists involved. As difficult as it is for the family and friends of Rebekah to deal with rehashing the case, it is necessary for justice to finally be served. This case is ripe to be broken. Lets finish it.

-xfbgb

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993
Back