Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #49

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speculation is encouraged and alowed; its a good way to source various takes on clues that are available. LE reportedly was asking about coolers, which makes the topic pertainant, not wild.
Massguy explains this well.
Thanks, @Fireflize ! :)

I was going to comment but you said it best.
As always.

As far as what we're allowed to speculate on -- it's also considered polite to not tell others how they may post.
But I digress.

Here's some speculation we can muse over in a very general sense : When the daughters arrived home-- did LE talk to them at all ?
Ask them about which coolers they might've owned and which ones were brought on the camping trip ?
My .02 is that aside from a smaller one for keeping drinks cool in the car --the other coolers should have been at the house.
Because you see BM wasn't hunting that weekend-- he was hard at work fixing a retaining wall that was sadly sloppily built previously.
Or whatever it was that the busy little bee was doing that weekend.

When BM spoke to the video guy, TD, he didn't say whether the girls drove or flew ; just that they were expected that weekend.
When you check the map for the distance from Maysville, CO to ID-- a flight itinerary (or airline suggestions) pops up.
This is a distance of roughly 12-14 hours from the Morphew house to the closest campgrounds.
Imo.

Moorman said CBI agents brought up other concerns as well.

“They did ask us, ‘why can’t we find any coolers at the house?’ And I said, ‘well I have no idea. I don’t know how many they had to begin with,” he said. “But I assume, as a hunter and a guy that maybe camps, he would have a few, and they couldn’t find a single one.”

Exclusive: Barry Morphew responds to explosive claims regarding the disappearance of wife, Suzanne | FOX21 News Colorado

Thank you, @MassGuy. I appreciate that you posted this in such a timely fashion.

So it was AM (from conversations with the CBI). I guess I should be happy to be accused of being wild just one time in my life.

Hats off - makes my day. Usually I try to look things up, but I am just exhausted today.

It's not wild speculation. Somewhere on the media thread, I believe a cooler is mentioned. If not, someone please correct me.

At any rate, the cooler has been discussed many times. I want to say that it was PE that brought it up.

If so, we've been doing the same wild speculation for about 15 threads. I'll stop mentioning it until I have time to find the prior citations and discussion. I won't have time to do that this week, but perhaps someone else will help me out. I believe it was AM to PE..

I find the accusation of me wildly speculating to be quite off-putting.

And thankfully, even before the above post was made, @MassGuy established where the information came from. Ball is no longer in my court. Whew.
bbm
Yes-- you are correct.

This was in msm, Suzanne's brother mentioned it, and was discussed at length in previous threads.
Still a very interesting and valid topic.
Was there anything else missing from the house that should have been there ?
Anything at all ?

I can see why BM didn't want the daughters to return to the house and not because of some random kidnapper; as BM said.
People who live in a home know what should be there, or if there's an absence of something.
Not just coolers, either.

*popping on my Sherlock Holmes hat ;) *
What about if there were tarps stored in the mud room ?
We know the house has a MR and thus far I haven't noticed any photos of that area.
Were tarps missing ?
Cleaning supplies ?
MOO

Last edited:
What if....

What if as a matter of course he came upon the elk, road kill or otherwise, that he brought home. Independent of what was to happen to Suzanne.

What if he working on that on the days prior.... packaged up neatly, all that remained, the skulled rack.

He'd tell LE about something like that, right?

Unless there's a reason not to.

JMO

From what I can gather, people don’t typically drag coolers with them while hunting. They keep them in the bed of their trucks to keep the meat cold on their way home.

I have a lot of friends who hunt and fish, and all of them have multiple coolers of varying sizes. I’d expect the situation to be similar with Barry.

This cooler line of questioning would have occurred well after Suzanne disappeared. I imagine at the earliest, it would have been around the time of the execution of that first search warrant.

By then they’d know if the girls took one or not.

I do think this factors in the same way that the black tote did in the Berreth case. It’s a great way to transport a body.
I agree that this cooler(s) will factor into the story.

Just this weekend, my son killed a deer, loaded the body in the back of the truck, and brought it to our house to clean. After the cleaning and quartering, it was placed on ice in a large cooler to transport for processing.

Unless you have the means to process the meat at home, most hunters that I know use coolers of various sizes to transport the meat. It’s not uncommon for the hunters I know to have several coolers. JMO

I agree that this cooler(s) will factor into the story.

Just this weekend, my son killed a deer, loaded the body in the back of the truck, and brought it to our house to clean. After the cleaning and quartering, it was placed on ice in a large cooler to transport for processing.

Unless you have the means to process the meat at home, most hunters that I know use coolers of various sizes to transport the meat. It’s not uncommon for the hunters I know to have several coolers. JMO
You have to figure he used his truck to transport the body, especially if he left the home that morning and never returned.

He wouldn’t have just put her body in the back without concealing it. A cooler would be absolutely perfect for that, and would draw no suspicion.

The difficulty would be getting rid of that cooler after the fact though.

You have to figure he used his truck to transport the body, especially if he left the home that morning and never returned.

He wouldn’t have just put her body in the back without concealing it. A cooler would be absolutely perfect for that, and would draw no suspicion.

The difficulty would be getting rid of that cooler after the fact though.

I hope LE has shiny video of him loading what looks like all the tools from the back of his truck into an empty cooler, hauling it into the hotel in Broomfield, never to be seen again.

Well, unless LE retrieved it.

I don't think he'd be happy to see it again.

JMO

BBM:

Depends on your definition of "well in advance."

I don't believe this was a crime of passion.

I DO think it was a crime of desperation. But not a crime of passion in the sense that you're using it.

There are indicators that the ground was prepared well in advance of Sunday for that "bike ride."

Daughters conveniently out of town on a camping trip.

Indiana worker informed on Thursday, May 9th, that a crew would be working on that wall the following week.

Because I'm convinced the motive is a financial one, I view the speed with which BM moved to grab guardianship of SM and sell that IN property as yet another damning indication that this crime was premeditated.

I would argue that financial motives generally lead to premeditated crimes, not crimes of passion.

Just because something wasn't planned well doesn't mean it wasn't planned well in advance.

Terrible planning does not preclude premeditation.*

A plan can only be as good as the mind of the planner.

We ain't dealing with a Rhodes scholar here.

JMO.

(*See Patrick Frazee)
FYI: Thursday, May 7 - not May 9. The 9th was a Saturday.

Yeah, I don’t believe this was planned well in advance. Had that been the case, I believe Barry would have had a solid alibi.

This job was ill planned, and apparently put together in a rush. That in and of itself is suspicious (lack of tools, no materials, etc).

It’s incriminating, and helps him in no way.
Barry is in some way the epitome of a procrastinator. IMO I think this was premeditated but only to an extent because he didn’t have a clear plan for execution or cover up. I lean toward premeditated because of the girls being away, mother’s day and subsequent disappearance but his lack of planning regarding alibi cause me to question whether he was lame or acting after the fact. Moo

Maybe not, but so far, a degree from Purdue has been good enough.
I’m sorry but if someone can graduate from Purdue while speaking that kind of English there’s something amiss in the education system. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, that man can’t string together a proper sentence if his life depended on it. And, as it stands, it does and he can’t do it! I have no idea how someone can graduate university without a respectable command of the English language. Can you imagine reading a 3,000 word essay penned by BM? :eek:

I try to step back and imagine what the key individuals were doing and expecting leading up to the moment of crimes like this.

Suzanne attempted to fix her bike on Thursday. Suzanne planned to attend a virtual wedding on Sunday. Suzanne planned to have her maintenance cancer treatment on Monday.

Suzanne didn't plan to die.

Barry was working. In and around the area. With MG. Barry planned to go to Broomfield with just MG. Barry came across some elk antlers he just had to have.

Swirling around that we have details.

The money business.... the marriage.... not hunky dory.... the girls being away.... the rescheduling of camping, the rescheduling of the Broomfield job. Coincidence?

So.... what did Suzanne plan to do while the girls were away? Did she see it as an opportune time to discuss hard things? Did Barry think it was an opportunity to strong arm Suzanne? Coerce her to stay if he feared she would leave? Convince her to sign documents she was suddenly unwilling to?

I sense desperation.

I think Friday night was a very bad night....

And Saturday worse.

If Suzanne was indeed alive on Saturday, messaging her friend, while Barry was in Salida with MG, Barry could've been desperate, panicked and raging...

Meanwhile, after what could have been the worst night ever, I can imagine sweet Suzanne keeping it to herself, not wanting to spoil the joy of her friend.... and just as easily, I can imagine a worked up, brute of a husband, who'd been controlling things for some time, arriving home TO MAKE HIS WIFE HAPPY, only to find her messaging away. THAT could've been his last straw, even angry -- because he might assume HE was the subject of their conversation, ripping her phone out of her hands. Or laptop. Or tablet. What happened next changed everything forever. She's petite. He's gorillian. The mere force of lunging for her device could've toppled her over backwards, wicked injury on a tile floor. Oh, Suzanne.....

If something such as that happened, you'd think a person would snap out of rage and call for help.... but how many times have we seen THAT? Zero. Oh, Suzanne, I would never hurt you.... so.... launch CYA....

Murder to cover up an injury, we've seen that before....

I love Suzanne. I loved Suzanne. I would never hurt her. I didn't mean to. I had to. No one knows the truth.

Oh, Suzanne.

It's starting to gel for me. Murder may not have been on his mind that morning. But an elk might've been. Bam. A plan begins to take shape....

Coolers, cleaning, cleaning up, chlorine.... a Bobcat, a mechanical thing, the Salida jobsite, the hours between midnight and 4 am, the hotel. The tools, the towels, the chlorine, the bed. The capstones, the dirt, the Bobcat...

The Cat.

They drag their prey up.... away ... they don't want....

Oh, finish that sentence, Barry. Because we want to know, where do predators drag their prey?

What'd you do with the elk?

That'd be my first question.

JMO

I’m confident that LE did NOT “botch” this investigation, quite the contrary. Take a look at the Rhoden murders. It took two years and that involved no less than six people that were involved in either the murder or supporting those that did it. Why rush in and lose a case and have guilty people walk free. BM is NOT innocent. With all he’s said/done, not said/not done, he might as well have had “GUILTY” tattooed to his forehead. Even a simple-minded jock can run into some luck especially if there was an element of pre-planning. I’m counting on his luck running out.
MOO

BBM above.
When BM's luck runs out, following the arrest, he will not be busy, as he has been since SM's disappearance.
These plans will all come to an end, and he'll wonder 'was it worth it' when in prison.
I guess, so many inmates, think the same : "Was it worth it?".
They all believe, they are too smart to get caught, as they have covered their tracks.
It is wonderful for us, when we read, the Arrest Warrants, the trials etc, watching these criminals fail.
Waiting here, as do so many others, for all the above to occur.
The moment the cuffs appear, the 'perp walk' following the arrest, the look on BM's face, will be remembered, for ages.
We 'will bring this all up' while following other cases when we compare incidents.
The good part in this case, will be the changing explanations BM produces, for his actions.

I try to step back and imagine what the key individuals were doing and expecting leading up to the moment of crimes like this.

Suzanne attempted to fix her bike on Thursday. Suzanne planned to attend a virtual wedding on Sunday. Suzanne planned to have her maintenance cancer treatment on Monday.

Suzanne didn't plan to die.

Barry was working. In and around the area. With MG. Barry planned to go to Broomfield with just MG. Barry came across some elk antlers he just had to have.

Swirling around that we have details.

The money business.... the marriage.... not hunky dory.... the girls being away.... the rescheduling of camping, the rescheduling of the Broomfield job. Coincidence?

So.... what did Suzanne plan to do while the girls were away? Did she see it as an opportune time to discuss hard things? Did Barry think it was an opportunity to strong arm Suzanne? Coerce her to stay if he feared she would leave? Convince her to sign documents she was suddenly unwilling to?

I sense desperation.

I think Friday night was a very bad night....

And Saturday worse.

If Suzanne was indeed alive on Saturday, messaging her friend, while Barry was in Salida with MG, Barry could've been desperate, panicked and raging...

Meanwhile, after what could have been the worst night ever, I can imagine sweet Suzanne keeping it to herself, not wanting to spoil the joy of her friend.... and just as easily, I can imagine a worked up, brute of a husband, who'd been controlling things for some time, arriving home TO MAKE HIS WIFE HAPPY, only to find her messaging away. THAT could've been his last straw, even angry -- because he might assume HE was the subject of their conversation, ripping her phone out of her hands. Or laptop. Or tablet. What happened next changed everything forever. She's petite. He's gorillian. The mere force of lunging for her device could've toppled her over backwards, wicked injury on a tile floor. Oh, Suzanne.....

If something such as that happened, you'd think a person would snap out of rage and call for help.... but how many times have we seen THAT? Zero. Oh, Suzanne, I would never hurt you.... so.... launch CYA....

Murder to cover up an injury, we've seen that before....

I love Suzanne. I loved Suzanne. I would never hurt her. I didn't mean to. I had to. No one knows the truth.

Oh, Suzanne.

It's starting to gel for me. Murder may not have been on his mind that morning. But an elk might've been. Bam. A plan begins to take shape....

Coolers, cleaning, cleaning up, chlorine.... a Bobcat, a mechanical thing, the Salida jobsite, the hours between midnight and 4 am, the hotel. The tools, the towels, the chlorine, the bed. The capstones, the dirt, the Bobcat...

The Cat.

They drag their prey up.... away ... they don't want....

Oh, finish that sentence, Barry. Because we want to know, where do predators drag their prey?

What'd you do with the elk?

That'd be my first question.

JMO

"Suzanne planned to attend a virtual wedding on Sunday. Suzanne planned to have her maintenance cancer treatment on Monday."

MOO taking a bike ride the morning of a friends son's wedding is unlikely.
She would be staying on tap for her friend and keeping up with the excited texts by her friends and guests gathering as the event unfolds.

From what I can gather, people don’t typically drag coolers with them while hunting. They keep them in the bed of their trucks to keep the meat cold on their way home.

I have a lot of friends who hunt and fish, and all of them have multiple coolers of varying sizes. I’d expect the situation to be similar with Barry.

This cooler line of questioning would have occurred well after Suzanne disappeared. I imagine at the earliest, it would have been around the time of the execution of that first search warrant.

By then they’d know if the girls took one or not.

I do think this factors in the same way that the black tote did in the Berreth case. It’s a great way to transport a body.
In my area a cooler is only used when transporting hard frozen meat after processing. Coolers are never taken ( exception a small one for drinks) hunting for whitetail deer, a kill is never a guarantee, field dressings is customary which includes removing the entrails due to spoilage. The carcass is taken to a destination to hang and bleed out and cool down .
Elks are usually quartered because of the heavy weight and large size of a full carcass is a daunting job to transport. The quarters are placed in panniers and balanced on each side of a pack mule. It takes two mules with a pannier on each side (4) in all. Then you place the hopefully very large elk head and rack on top of the panniers placing it so the horns do not touch the mule. On average a bull elk will produce about 250 lbs of meat and the head weighing upwards of 40 pounds.
IMO if BM had a big white cooler it was carried in the back of his truck full of ice and drinks for his workers. If he used a big cooler to transport SM IMO that is what he was bleaching at the hotel. He could of easily ditched it anywhere between Broomfield and Puma Path on any work site. Never to be discovered. More than one elk ivory in my toy box.

Command of English?
... if someone can graduate from Purdue while speaking that kind of English there’s something amiss in the education system... that man can’t string together a proper sentence... Can you imagine reading a 3,000 word essay penned by BM? :eek:
@susiQ sbm bbm Not saying BM can pen a rational, coherent essay, but some ppl communicate more intelligently on paper than they do in speaking, even a 26sec. vid. He may be one of them. Or not, IDK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreyFishOmen