Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #49

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Suzanne planned to attend a virtual wedding on Sunday. Suzanne planned to have her maintenance cancer treatment on Monday."

MOO taking a bike ride the morning of a friends son's wedding is unlikely.
She would be staying on tap for her friend and keeping up with the excited texts by her friends and guests gathering as the event unfolds.

I never knew the virtual wedding was on Sunday, Mother's Day. imo

What if....

What if as a matter of course he came upon the elk, road kill or otherwise, that he brought home. Independent of what was to happen to Suzanne.

What if he working on that on the days prior.... packaged up neatly, all that remained, the skulled rack.

He'd tell LE about something like that, right?

Unless there's a reason not to.

JMO
If the elk story is legit and relevant, wouldn't there be fresh meat packed up and in the deep freeze?

What if....

What if as a matter of course he came upon the elk, road kill or otherwise, that he brought home. Independent of what was to happen to Suzanne.

What if he working on that on the days prior.... packaged up neatly, all that remained, the skulled rack.

He'd tell LE about something like that, right?

Unless there's a reason not to.

JMO
If the elk story is legit and relevant, wouldn't there be fresh meat packed up and in the deep freeze?

Possibly.

Speculation : Not if one is going to utilize it to cover up something else.
If you get my drift without delving too deeply. :(

My first thought was that he found them out in the woods and brought them back to the house for a decoration.
Our dog used to bring back odds and ends --but then she wasn't the brightest bulb in the universe. :rolleyes:

I'm curious as to whether the elk rack was fresh, as in recently killed ?
If so --was it elk hunting season in May ?
If not-- we have a poaching issue for starters !
Imo.

To push this conversation forward, though, I'd like to say the the "desperation" and the "crime of passion" motivations can co-exist.

Families in desperate situations go through cycles. The desperation may seem financial to one partner and emotional to another, or both may be terribly concerned about both. There's lying going on (financial difficulties known to one partner are not disclosed).

Domestic violence doesn't just happen out of nowhere. I've never heard of an abuser just randomly killing or savagely beating someone. There are patterns and cycles. They find an excuse. Their own inner turmoil is a huge part of it. They try to find band-aids (gym, affairs, all kinds of activities) and that usually makes things worse.

The abuse is something the whole family tries to suppress...but then...another cycle occurs, and that's when all bets are off. Rageful behavior in a family increases (by the abuser) when the abuser feels desperate (and it's not uncommon for the rest of the family to feel desperate and defeated as well).

Hard to believe 6 months have gone by since Suzanne’s disappearance. :(
I can’t imagine what her Daughters and the Moorman family are going through, has to be absolutely heart wrenching, and my heart goes out to them.

As I was re-reading through some of the early SM threads this morning, I came across the following post by our very own @Angleterre. Thought I’d bring it forward as it’s an excellent synopsis (and good reminder), of the kinds of things/LE work involved going on behind the scenes in major investigations such as this case:

“I don’t know if the following post will help my fellow Websleuths members with regards to how a major investigation is run . I have tentatively mentioned this in a previous post but I have had quite a few questions privately in response so I decided to tidy up and expand my previous post ...
Here goes ....

With any major enquiry wether that be a murder / Homicide or a missing person , a dedicated team of detectives is set up with a SIO ( senior investigative officer) as the lead .
Certainly in the UK, a policy book is commenced and everything that you know , everything that subsequently happens, every decision taken and every action followed up, is written into the policy book . Every decision made by the SIO and the justification behind such a decision, has to be written into the policy book .
I was responsible for leading a number of murder investigations and Missing persons investigations and I would lead teams of detectives and forensic experts etc
A twice daily briefing would be held where everyone has an input as to what has happened that day , any evidence found , any witnesses spoken to etc and a summary of the day’s investigation would be written up by the SIO.
Each investigation has a strategy and that strategy is followed from the Murder and Major Crime investigations Manual .
So at the start of the investigation, there will be various strategies drawn up to encompass all of the different strands of the Investigation.
They are :
1.Victim - what do we know ?
2. Suspect - Do we have any?
3. Circumstances of last seen
4. Intelligence - What do we know ? What can we find out?
5. Cell phone analysis
6. Forensics - what do we have ? How are they to be prioritised? Submissions to laboratory and cost?
DNA evidence
Fingerprints
7. Search parameters and recovery of evidence to include continuity of retrieval
8. CCtv - What’s available ? How do we prioritise it?
9. Cell Phones - Victims, Suspect’s, Family etc
10. Family History
11. Actions - those raised that need investigation and those that are considered but not deemed to take the investigation further ( but it still all needs recording )
12. Forensic mapping
13. Witnesses
14. Interviews - suspect/s?
15. Exhibits/Property Officer - to record everything brought into the enquiry and the continuity of that evidence
16. File of evidence - Who will create the file of evidence for submission to CPS/DA
17. Warrants - allocated officer to swear all warrants
18. Disclosure - Officer allocated to start a disclosure record ( court process )
19. Family liaison officer - Officer allocate to be the go between for the family and SIO
20. Media strategy - controlled release of information to press
I could go on but I think that you get the drift that any investigation of this type is massive and takes time and has to be that way to get it right so that by the time it gets to the Court process, there’s no room for doubt or for weaknesses in the investigation to allow the accused to get off on a technicality or procedural issue .
Then if there is a suspect you need to start thinking of who will do the suspect interview and the downstream monitoring and alibi checks .
And on top of all that, the biggest and most onerous task besides cell phone evidence retrieval, is CCTV ! And that is a biggie ... it takes Detectives hours upon hours to go through and watch CCTV to enable them to ascertain if there is anything of evidential value on each individual recording and that can be CCTV from the street , from a shop, car park, toll booth , buildings, churches , Public CCTV along a route and individual CCTV in peoples driveways or on their mobile phones etc
You start to get the idea of just how much work is involved in a major investigation and that’s before you go to a judge to swear out warrants and arrest the perpetrator. Once an arrest takes place, you then have interviews and downstream monitoring in real time of the interviews and then liaison with the CPS in UK and DA/attorney general I think maybe in the USA? And then putting the whole file of evidence together and ensuring full disclosure to the defence ... it’s massive workloads and it goes on and on ...
Cell phone data is also massive because of pings of location and subsequent searches and data dumps of all cell phones active within a specific MAST area and tracing who those numbers belong to and ascertain what they were doing in the area. And I can tell you that the evidence from one cell phone alone can run into thousands of pages for my detectives to read through and decipher what, If anything, is relevant to the case . So can you imagine when you have numerous people involved in an investigation, wether it to be rule them in or out or as an alibi or a victim, just how onerous this task is? And it is just one small part of the investigation.

Also the CCTV , people ask why now , 1 month later ? Well you don’t know what evidence that LE already have and if they had nothing else then the individual private residence CCTV would have been done immediately but it is a massive task and takes officers hours and hours to sit and watch every piece of CCTV that comes into the enquiry so it’s now easier to say , keep hold of your own individual residential CCTV and if you think that you have something of importance then let us know immediately otherwise we will get round to looking at it when we can because EVERYTHING has to be prioritised.

In the UK we have HOLMES ( home office Major enquires system ) and everything is entered into the system and looked at by three officers working with admin staff and any actions deemed necessary as a result of those 3 officers painstakingly going through every piece of information, item, cell phone number, cctv , search recovery evidence etc and allocating actions ( work ) to officers to compete before they are given another action . And some officers are individually given specific roles for example CCTV, Cell phones, Intelligence, Statement takers , Family liaison .

So this gives you an idea of just what is going on behind the scenes .
And the information released has to be protected and provenanced to ensure accuracy and the SIO doesn’t want information released unless absolutely necessary because the perpetrator may slip up and say something that hasn’t yet been released to the public and that then becomes dynamite to the investigation.
I hope this helps you all to understand the process , procedures and time for any major investigation to bear fruit .

Regarding technology- People do not realise just how much electronic tracking there is in our everyday lives and the footprint that we leave . Let’s take for example the obvious ones like public CCTV and residential / business CCTV and street CCTV , shop and bank and fuel CCTV, road surveillance CCTV to monitor traffic flow and speed camera CCTV etc The list is endless! Then there are tracking devices on the car if there is one , then there is the cell phone and text message/social media footprints alongside Pings
But - there are some footprints that we either don’t think about or are not aware of for example I own a luxury ( ish ) brand of car and I don’t have a key , I have a black plastic fob that I carry around which activates the car but without inserting it anywhere within my car console. Now when my car has a problem and I go to the dealership, this fob is inserted into their computer and it tell you every journey I have made and the status of the car throughout that journey, if the fuels low , if the seatbelt warning is activated, if any warning lights come on , if tyre pressure is low etc
I was gobsmacked just how much information that could be obtained and to be quite honest, I am a law abiding citizen but it scared even me , just how much we are being monitored. Then there is ANPR both mobile and static and lets not forget that it’s not only your cell phone that can be pinged and calls traced but LE can go to any mast and triangulate all mobile cell phones that ping off a particular mast at a given time and they can cross reference the data from this to any of the contacts in your phone and see if there are any patterns . So just from this you can start to see how many avenues are open for LE to look at. And then we have instagram and Facebook and WhatsApp and snapchat and Twitter and email and fit bits and apple watches and you start to get my drift .....
Edited to add: We have family Life 360 so that we can see where our children are and vice versa and my DH decided to turn his location permissions off
BUT although it does not now tell me his location in words, it does show him driving down the various roads and highways when he’s out and about. So another form of surveillance and if somebody was going to commit a heinous crime, they cannot possibly erase all their electronic footprints

Then we have Amazon Alexa and Smart devices ...
The list is endless!“

Hoping Suzanne is found soon!!

IMO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

Last edited:
I’m assuming that most of the above list of specifics involved in UK investigations applies.

In regard to #19-family liaison officer: If a family member is considered a POI, how does this influence the family liaison officer’s flow of information? Does the family liaison officer work with immediate family only? Minors? Do they continue to work with the family POI, in an overlap capacity with the #2 suspect part of the investigation?

#20-Media strategy: how/who do you think is handling? Does CCSO coordinate with the other agencies and devise a strategy, or is this purely a CCSO function? I know we all have bantered back and forth about their media strategy or lack thereof. I read here on WS that a large sign was recently placed in an area requesting info, yet I have been unable to find anything on line yet. During this pandemic, I would think that online presence would certainly get the word out, and CCSO does have an online presence.

Possibly.

Speculation : Not if one is going to utilize it to cover up something else.
If you get my drift without delving too deeply. :(

My first thought was that he found them out in the woods and brought them back to the house for a decoration.
Our dog used to bring back odds and ends --but then she wasn't the brightest bulb in the universe. :rolleyes:

I'm curious as to whether the elk rack was fresh, as in recently killed ?
If so --was it elk hunting season in May ?
If not-- we have a poaching issue for starters !
Imo.

Found antlers that have been dropped by an elk are one thing. Antlers that are still attached to part of a skull are a completely different matter. If he did find a dead (entire) elk somewhere, as road kill, then it was legal for him to chop part of its head off (I guess - Outdoor Magazine did an article about this activity last Spring and said it was considered unethical and possibly illegal in some times).

It was not hunting season, so he was not supposed to be killing elk in May and if he did kill one (and take only part of its skull and its antlers, that was illegal). We'll probably never know.

I am sure LE asked him where, exactly, he found the "road kill."

Suzanne Morphew timeline

*Mother’s Day weekend

***“Barry had worked on the beach site Friday evening,” Gentile said. “Saturday, he had asked me to clean it up and rake it out, because we were going to bring it out to level – so it would be a beach sand and not muck.”

https://www.fox21news.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/37/2020/09/Beach-site.jpg?resize=876,492

***Branson said while her memory is sharp, her hearing is going. She said that’s why the loud noise she heard, in the middle of the night on Mother’s Day Weekend, sticks out in her mind.

Neighbors want answers two months into Chaffee County woman’s disappearance | FOX21 News Colorado

*May 9, 2020

***And, although Gentile had agreed to work in that area for the day, she said Barry dismissed her from the job early – at 11 a.m. “He said that he had to go make the wife happy – do some hiking or biking,” she said. “And I found out, like, later that day that he was in town all day.”

Gentile said she heard Barry was out shopping by himself.

“I’m not the other woman”: Second contractor speaks out about Suzanne Morphew investigation | FOX21 News Colorado

Sometime between 1400 and 2100 hours, Suzanne Moorman Morphew is communicating with her best friend on social media about an upcoming wedding. According to reports, the communication suddenly stops. Sometime later, a number of social media communications occur from Suzanne'sprofile" but seem out of character to immediate family members and friends.

Suzanne Moorman Morphew

***Puckett mentioned he saw Barry in person on Saturday, May 9, and described the work he’d been hired to do, a project involving fixing a wall.

Suzanne Morphew’s husband left Denver hotel, contractor claims room was “reeking of chlorine” | FOX21 News Colorado

***“She was seen in town with Barry getting a sandwich at 4 p.m.,” Moorman said. “At midnight, somebody friended all of the guys my age on her Facebook at midnight.”

Suzanne Morphew’s brother shares new details about her last known sighting and strange activity on his sister’s Facebook page hours before she was reported missing

Mail Online reports Barry checked into a hotel room on May 9th, 2020 in Broomfield, Colorado. However, this may be erroneous as it is not known when he checked in. Barry claims he last saw Suzanne on May 10th at or around 0500 hours.

Suzanne Moorman Morphew

Broomfield Holiday Inn
32646066-8685695-DailyMail_com_can_reveal_that_a_co_worker_of_Barry_s_took_over_h-a-7_1599050483864.jpg

*May 10, 2020

***MG stated she heard Barry’s truck revving outside her residence at 4 am.
Andy stated Barry was texting at 4 am on his way to Broomfield.

***Suzanne's husband (Barry) reportedly leaves the home at 0500 hrs for a reported work assignment in Denver, Colorado. He remarks that he doesn't wake Suzanne. Reports say he texts Suzanne a Mother's Day greeting that goes unanswered. Hours later, Barry's daughters contact him and report that their attempts to reach Suzanne go unanswered. Barry contacts neighbor and asks her to check on Suzanne. Neighbor reports that she walked through house and can't locate her. She sees Suzanne and daughter’s vehicle there. According to reports, Barry asks neighbor to return and see if Suzanne's bike is missing, noting she may be on a bike ride. Neighbor confirms the bike is missing and the neighbor calls the local sheriff to conduct a welfare check.

Suzanne Moorman Morphew

***Biker saw a suspicious vehicle, car did not belong there, on Mother’s Day on the same road Suzanne’s bike is found. He reports the siting to law enforcement. This is the link to the interview with the biker: Timestamp 00:40

Authorities cordon off home of missing Chaffee County woman | FOX31 Denver

***Speaking in an exclusive interview, Puckett told DailyMail.com: ‘I got there Sunday night and the room smelled like chlorine real bad.

Husband of missing Colorado mom spent the night before her disappearance at cheap Denver hotel | Daily Mail Online

*** She again consented to the work and traveled with one of his contractors, JP, to the project.

Suspected ‘Other Woman' in Missing Colorado Mom’s Case Denies Affair Accusations

Employee of Suzanne Morphew's husband DENIES they were having an affair after Colorado mom vanished | Daily Mail Online

***Speaking with Fox 21, Barry admitted that the room smelled strongly of chlorine, but claims he had nothing to do with the stench.

'I'm not going to beat around the bush: it smelled [of chlorine] real strong,' he conceded.

Employee of Suzanne Morphew's husband DENIES they were having an affair after Colorado mom vanished | Daily Mail Online

***DailyMail.com can reveal Jeff Puckett, a co-worker of Barry’s, took over his hotel room on May 10 and found it scattered with wet towels and stinking of chlorine

A manager at the property confirmed to DailyMail.com that they do not use chlorine to clean guest rooms

The co-worker also discovered a pile of mail in the room – including a letter about property insurance – and later turned it over to the FBI

Husband of missing Colorado mom spent the night before her disappearance at cheap Denver hotel | Daily Mail Online

***Barry called again around 6:10 p.m. “Barry said that he had been up there all day, like getting the job ready for us,” Gentile said. And, he also told Gentile, he was leaving. There’d been a family emergency, he said. He left some tools behind, at the hotel.

“I’m not the other woman”: Second contractor speaks out about Suzanne Morphew investigation | FOX21 News Colorado

*Unknown date (sometime in May)

*** It is reported online that Barry takes a friend to an area near Crested Butte where he collapses on the ground uttering something about Suzanne.

Suzanne Moorman Morphew

*May 11-17, 21-23 search timeline

Two months into search for missing Chaffee County mother, investigators “aggressively working this case” | FOX21 News Colorado

*May 12

***Butala is a store manager at the market and watched Barry on May 12th around 8 p.m. write the note on the back of a receipt.

[…]

“He went to write down a description of maybe what she was wearing,” Butala said. “I just thought it was weird because he didn’t explain the color of her eyes were or her hair or anything about her like how tall she was or anything.”
“People don’t know the truth”: Suzanne Morphew’s husband breaks silence after three months | FOX21 News Colorado

*May 13, 2020

***The Chafee County Sheriff’s Office launched a search for Morphew, with a crew of 100 people joined by tracking dogs provided by the Department of Corrections. After failing to locate Morphew on Sunday, authorities searched again on Monday, and as of late Monday had not found any sign of the missing woman.

MISSING: Colorado woman vanishes after going for a bike ride

***Family: Suzanne Morphew’s Husband Offers $100,000 Reward In Disappearance Investigation

Family: Suzanne Morphew's Husband Offers $100,000 Reward In Disappearance Investigation

*May 14

***Fbi asked to assist

Suzanne Moorman Morphew

*May 15

HWY 50 Temporary Closure for Search for missing woman - Chaffee County Sheriff

***News conference: Chaffee County Sheriff provides update
Sheriff is asked if Suzanne could still be alive. His response "We're certainly hopeful she is, obviously as time goes by it gives us concern but we are searching as though she is alive and we do believe she's still could still be alive." statement starting at timestamp 4:15.

This statement was made before the search of the home and the Salida property.

***Nephew of missing Chaffee County woman gives update on family search

*May 17

***Find Suzanne Morphew facebook account created

Find Suzanne Morphew

*May-19

***BREAKING: Police prohibit Suzanne Morphew’s family members from entering home

BREAKING: Police prohibit Suzanne Morphew’s family members from entering home

*May 22

*** A residential construction site is now the focus of the search for Suzanne Morphew, a Colorado woman who was reported missing from her Chaffee County home on Mother’s Day. The property owner confirmed to CBS4’s Rick Sallinger that Suzanne’s husband was hired to lay dirt on the riverfront land, located east of Salida.

Finding Suzanne Morphew: Investigators Search Husband's Job Site Near Salida

***Other searches have taken place in a reservoir, an area around County Road 225 and Highway 50, and the Monarch Spur RV Park, which is owned by FP and located near the Morphew home.

Finding Suzanne Morphew: Investigators Search Husband's Job Site Near Salida

May 22 Press Release - Chaffee County Sheriff

*May-24

May 24th, Press Release - Chaffee County Sheriff

other sheriff press releases

Press Releases - Chaffee County Sheriff

Suzanne Moorman Morphew

*May-26

***Morphew home returned to family

Two months into search for missing Chaffee County mother, investigators “aggressively working this case” | FOX21 News Colorado

*June 5

***Barry Morphew files for guardianship of missing wife Suzanne Morphew

Barry Morphew files for guardianship of missing wife Suzanne Morphew

*July 9

***Investigators returned to a missing Chaffee County woman’s home to search for more clues after two months

“This case remains very active, as more than a dozen investigators are aggressively working this case on a daily basis,” said Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze. “And until we determine what happened to Suzanne, we can’t discount any scenario or formally eliminate anyone from suspicion.”

*August 20

***In an earlier interview, Suzanne’s family told FOX21 CBI agents asked Barry to take a polygraph test on two separate occasions, and, each time, he turned them down.

[…]

“I’ve never been asked to do a polygraph,” Barry said. “There is nothing that I am hiding. I have given three – 30 hours of testimony to the FBI and the CBI. I’ve answered every question. Every single question.”

[…]

Dan Corsentino, a private investigator in Pueblo, said it is possible those agencies did not ask Barry Morphew to take a polygraph. He also said it could be reasonable for an innocent person to deny the test.

https://www.fox21news.com/top-stories/people-dont-know-the-truth-suzanne-morphews-husband-breaks-silence-after-three-months/

*September 1

***Barry is granted guardianship on September 1, 2020 by Judge Michael Casati in Case # 29D01-2006+GU-000096

Suzanne Moorman Morphew

*September 24

***Missing Mom: Suzanne Morphew’s Brother Starts Independent Search With 100 Volunteers

Missing Mom: Suzanne Morphew's Brother Starts Independent Search With 100 Volunteers

***During the search, the Chaffee County Sheriff's Office said they responded to three reports of human remains dogs "alerting" on properties in the county, but each was determined to not be a viable lead:

The Chaffee County Sheriff's Office said that none of those properties were owned by members of the Morphew family.

Most recent search for Suzanne Morphew ends with no leads | 9news.com

*September 29

***Vigil held in Salida for Suzanne Morphew

Most recent search for Suzanne Morphew ends with no leads | 9news.com

hard to believe it’s 6 months ....

Hard to believe 6 months have gone by since Suzanne’s disappearance. :(
I can’t imagine what her Daughters and the Moorman family are going through, has to be absolutely heart wrenching, and my heart goes out to them.

As I was re-reading through some of the early SM threads this morning, I came across the following post by our very own @Angleterre. Thought I’d bring it forward as it’s an excellent synopsis (and good reminder), of the kinds of things/LE work involved going on behind the scenes in major investigations such as this case:

“I don’t know if the following post will help my fellow Websleuths members with regards to how a major investigation is run . I have tentatively mentioned this in a previous post but I have had quite a few questions privately in response so I decided to tidy up and expand my previous post ...
Here goes ....

With any major enquiry wether that be a murder / Homicide or a missing person , a dedicated team of detectives is set up with a SIO ( senior investigative officer) as the lead .
Certainly in the UK, a policy book is commenced and everything that you know , everything that subsequently happens, every decision taken and every action followed up, is written into the policy book . Every decision made by the SIO and the justification behind such a decision, has to be written into the policy book .
I was responsible for leading a number of murder investigations and Missing persons investigations and I would lead teams of detectives and forensic experts etc
A twice daily briefing would be held where everyone has an input as to what has happened that day , any evidence found , any witnesses spoken to etc and a summary of the day’s investigation would be written up by the SIO.
Each investigation has a strategy and that strategy is followed from the Murder and Major Crime investigations Manual .
So at the start of the investigation, there will be various strategies drawn up to encompass all of the different strands of the Investigation.
They are :
1.Victim - what do we know ?
2. Suspect - Do we have any?
3. Circumstances of last seen
4. Intelligence - What do we know ? What can we find out?
5. Cell phone analysis
6. Forensics - what do we have ? How are they to be prioritised? Submissions to laboratory and cost?
DNA evidence
Fingerprints
7. Search parameters and recovery of evidence to include continuity of retrieval
8. CCtv - What’s available ? How do we prioritise it?
9. Cell Phones - Victims, Suspect’s, Family etc
10. Family History
11. Actions - those raised that need investigation and those that are considered but not deemed to take the investigation further ( but it still all needs recording )
12. Forensic mapping
13. Witnesses
14. Interviews - suspect/s?
15. Exhibits/Property Officer - to record everything brought into the enquiry and the continuity of that evidence
16. File of evidence - Who will create the file of evidence for submission to CPS/DA
17. Warrants - allocated officer to swear all warrants
18. Disclosure - Officer allocated to start a disclosure record ( court process )
19. Family liaison officer - Officer allocate to be the go between for the family and SIO
20. Media strategy - controlled release of information to press
I could go on but I think that you get the drift that any investigation of this type is massive and takes time and has to be that way to get it right so that by the time it gets to the Court process, there’s no room for doubt or for weaknesses in the investigation to allow the accused to get off on a technicality or procedural issue .
Then if there is a suspect you need to start thinking of who will do the suspect interview and the downstream monitoring and alibi checks .
And on top of all that, the biggest and most onerous task besides cell phone evidence retrieval, is CCTV ! And that is a biggie ... it takes Detectives hours upon hours to go through and watch CCTV to enable them to ascertain if there is anything of evidential value on each individual recording and that can be CCTV from the street , from a shop, car park, toll booth , buildings, churches , Public CCTV along a route and individual CCTV in peoples driveways or on their mobile phones etc
You start to get the idea of just how much work is involved in a major investigation and that’s before you go to a judge to swear out warrants and arrest the perpetrator. Once an arrest takes place, you then have interviews and downstream monitoring in real time of the interviews and then liaison with the CPS in UK and DA/attorney general I think maybe in the USA? And then putting the whole file of evidence together and ensuring full disclosure to the defence ... it’s massive workloads and it goes on and on ...
Cell phone data is also massive because of pings of location and subsequent searches and data dumps of all cell phones active within a specific MAST area and tracing who those numbers belong to and ascertain what they were doing in the area. And I can tell you that the evidence from one cell phone alone can run into thousands of pages for my detectives to read through and decipher what, If anything, is relevant to the case . So can you imagine when you have numerous people involved in an investigation, wether it to be rule them in or out or as an alibi or a victim, just how onerous this task is? And it is just one small part of the investigation.

Also the CCTV , people ask why now , 1 month later ? Well you don’t know what evidence that LE already have and if they had nothing else then the individual private residence CCTV would have been done immediately but it is a massive task and takes officers hours and hours to sit and watch every piece of CCTV that comes into the enquiry so it’s now easier to say , keep hold of your own individual residential CCTV and if you think that you have something of importance then let us know immediately otherwise we will get round to looking at it when we can because EVERYTHING has to be prioritised.

In the UK we have HOLMES ( home office Major enquires system ) and everything is entered into the system and looked at by three officers working with admin staff and any actions deemed necessary as a result of those 3 officers painstakingly going through every piece of information, item, cell phone number, cctv , search recovery evidence etc and allocating actions ( work ) to officers to compete before they are given another action . And some officers are individually given specific roles for example CCTV, Cell phones, Intelligence, Statement takers , Family liaison .

So this gives you an idea of just what is going on behind the scenes .
And the information released has to be protected and provenanced to ensure accuracy and the SIO doesn’t want information released unless absolutely necessary because the perpetrator may slip up and say something that hasn’t yet been released to the public and that then becomes dynamite to the investigation.
I hope this helps you all to understand the process , procedures and time for any major investigation to bear fruit .

Regarding technology- People do not realise just how much electronic tracking there is in our everyday lives and the footprint that we leave . Let’s take for example the obvious ones like public CCTV and residential / business CCTV and street CCTV , shop and bank and fuel CCTV, road surveillance CCTV to monitor traffic flow and speed camera CCTV etc The list is endless! Then there are tracking devices on the car if there is one , then there is the cell phone and text message/social media footprints alongside Pings
But - there are some footprints that we either don’t think about or are not aware of for example I own a luxury ( ish ) brand of car and I don’t have a key , I have a black plastic fob that I carry around which activates the car but without inserting it anywhere within my car console. Now when my car has a problem and I go to the dealership, this fob is inserted into their computer and it tell you every journey I have made and the status of the car throughout that journey, if the fuels low , if the seatbelt warning is activated, if any warning lights come on , if tyre pressure is low etc
I was gobsmacked just how much information that could be obtained and to be quite honest, I am a law abiding citizen but it scared even me , just how much we are being monitored. Then there is ANPR both mobile and static and lets not forget that it’s not only your cell phone that can be pinged and calls traced but LE can go to any mast and triangulate all mobile cell phones that ping off a particular mast at a given time and they can cross reference the data from this to any of the contacts in your phone and see if there are any patterns . So just from this you can start to see how many avenues are open for LE to look at. And then we have instagram and Facebook and WhatsApp and snapchat and Twitter and email and fit bits and apple watches and you start to get my drift .....
Edited to add: We have family Life 360 so that we can see where our children are and vice versa and my DH decided to turn his location permissions off
BUT although it does not now tell me his location in words, it does show him driving down the various roads and highways when he’s out and about. So another form of surveillance and if somebody was going to commit a heinous crime, they cannot possibly erase all their electronic footprints

Then we have Amazon Alexa and Smart devices ...
The list is endless!“

Hoping Suzanne is found soon!!

IMO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne
Thanks so much for bringing this forward! It is good to be reminded just how much work goes into an investigation and how important it is to get it right. Especially appropriate this day, as we have hit the six month point. Still hoping and praying for justice for Suzanne!

I think they only things that have been missing from this case in the past few months are:

-SM’s body
-A witness that flips
-A newly elected DA that will take on the case

We have one of those things now, and possibly two. I expect to see an arrest and charges brought by the end of January or early February. The balance of the time will be used to continue to pursue leads and additional witnesses that flip.

I have the feeling that LE has a spectacular amount of evidence, particularly in the house and digitally after serving two warrants on the home.

I think they only things that have been missing from this case in the past few months are:

-SM’s body
-A witness that flips
-A newly elected DA that will take on the case

We have one of those things now, and possibly two. I expect to see an arrest and charges brought by the end of January or early February. The balance of the time will be used to continue to pursue leads and additional witnesses that flip.

I have the feeling that LE has a spectacular amount of evidence, particularly in the house and digitally after serving two warrants on the home.
Agree, LE also has the motive. Moo

CHAFFEE COUNTY SHERIFF UPDATE - Post From CCSO FB

“CHAFFEE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE
Salida, Colorado
PRESS RELEASE
November 10, 2020

Today marks the 6-month anniversary of the Suzanne Morphew missing person case.

Suzanne Morphew, a loving mother, devoted friend and wife, was last seen by her husband, Barry Morphew, on May 10, 2020. Since that time, the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office has worked closely and tirelessly with the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI), Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the 11th Judicial District in an intensive investigation to find Suzanne Morphew.

In that time, there have been numerous searches, countless investigative interviews, and hundreds of tips reported in this case.

“We thank you, our community, for your assistance, concern and patience,” said Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze. “Suzanne is missing. We in law enforcement hope for the best but prepare for the worst. The worst-case scenario is that something unlawful occurred, and as such we go about our investigation ensuring we are working within the rules of law and treating everything we learn as potential evidence for court.”

While specific case information is not available, Sheriff Spezze assures residents the case remains a priority. “To preserve the integrity of this investigation, we cannot reveal all we have learned nor all that we are doing, but we understand your frustration in wanting this case resolved quickly. That said, with each day that passes, we learn new information in this case.”

Although the winter months are approaching, the task force assembled to investigate Suzanne Morphew’s disappearance continues to move forward and will conduct additional searches and other casework.

In one aspect of the case, the task force continues to focus on Suzanne Morphew’s social media presence as part of the investigation. Investigators say Suzanne kept in touch with friends she loved dearly. They also believe that sometimes in these types of cases that people don’t come forward with information for concern that they may get someone in trouble. To those who may be fearful to come forward, they can reach out anonymously. Once investigators know your concerns, they can address them.

Anyone who may have engaged with Suzanne on Facebook, Instagram, Voxer, FaceTime or WhatsApp and would like to share new information or come forward if they haven’t been interviewed is asked to contact the Suzanne Morphew tip line, regardless of how insignificant you think the information may be, or whether you think investigators are already aware of it.”

Suzanne Morphew Tip line: 719-312-7530.

Thank You,
John A. Spezze
Chaffee County Sheriff
Chaffee County Sheriff's Office

Agree, LE also has the motive. Moo

BBM:

100%.

This perp has handed LE the motive on a silver platter.

I'm convinced his (trans)actions have left a trail of neon, flashing bread crumbs for LE to follow straight up to his doorstep.

This ain't a Whodunnit. LE knows whodunnit, and why he dunnit.

What LE doesn't have is SM's body.

If SM's body is the only missing piece to their puzzle, LE should be able to painstakingly assemble all the other evidentiary pieces in such a way that the case all comes together in the minds of jurors.

If you're working a 1,000 piece puzzle and you get to the end only to discover you only had 999 pieces in the box, it's incredibly exasperating.

But you're still going to be able to recognize the overall picture, even sans the missing piece.

JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member