Canada - Christine Jessop, 9, Queensville, Ont, 3 Oct 1984 *killer identified* #3

The legal restrictions for LE to collect DNA samples in 1998 is outlined in the following link. It is unbelievable that Canada passed a bill that prohibited police from attaining DNA samples unless a perp had been charged with at least two murders or two rapes. This explains why lead investigator Tweedy asked for voluntary DNA samples in Christine's case, and why he presented his objections along with other police forces and their attorneys in the Senate hearings for Bill C-3, fourteen years after CJ's murder when he got her case.

RSBM

Glad it was changed. I guess that’s the ‘give a dog one bite’ principle? As you said—unbelievable.

I looked up about a dozen cold cases that occurred in that area since 1984 and about four or five of the victims went missing and were found dead in October or November. There were at least two or three that had been stabbed and one had her throat cut.

So it would be interesting to know if there was something significant about that time of year that would connect Hoover to other crimes. I also wondered if he travelled for business or if they had a vacation home.
Can you list them?

Can you list them?
Well, I described a few of them earlier in the thread. Some occurred in the eighties and a few in the nineties, but I believe other posters have mentioned other crimes that occurred after that.

Some of the cases I looked up were Delia Adriano, Jami Fernandez, Kelly Mombouquette, Carrie Potts, Kerrie Anne Brown, Sharmini Anandavel and Lizzie Tomlinson.

All occurred in the same general area. If you google the names you should be able to find some information.

Well, I described a few of them earlier in the thread. Some occurred in the eighties and a few in the nineties, but I believe other posters have mentioned other crimes that occurred after that.

Some of the cases I looked up were Delia Adriano, Jami Fernandez, Kelly Mombouquette, Carrie Potts, Kerrie Anne Brown, Sharmini Anandavel and Lizzie Tomlinson.

All occurred in the same general area. If you google the names you should be able to find some information.
Lizzy’s case looks very similar and they tried to pin it on her developmentally delayed relative similar to GPM

I find it disturbing that LE would not make it mandatory for all POI to have they’re finger pricked in a murder investigation. I wonder if that was because DNA was a new technology at that time? Do we know if this policy has changed over the years?

To the best of my knowledge they can ASK for DNA, but no one actually has to provide it to police willingly. Many people will refuse to submit DNA to police for testing even if they're NOT guilty of the crime in question. Why? Well, what if they're not guilty of THIS particular crime, but are guilty of some other atrocity? Or, what if you simply disagree with DNA collection on principle? In those cases, police would have to apply for a warrant to obtain the DNA and then the courts decide whether the person will or won't submit to DNA testing. That said, if I were a criminal, and I knew my DNA might tie me to some other crime, I'd be asking a lawyer to write up a contract stating that the DNA collected could only be used to test against the crime in which I was a person of interest, and then must be destroyed, not used to compare against other crime scenes, or be entered in CODIS etc.

I wonder how many criminals have successfully had such a contract drafted and signed by police and other parties?

I'm trying to come up with a scenario that could explain a bent kickstand, and it's very difficult. Does this idea work? If a person has just hopped onto their bike and not yet released the kick stand, then someone behind the bike, grabs the bike from the back and pulls it toward them, could the kickstand be bent?

Does the bent kickstand suggest that Christine was trying to get away from her captor?

It's really hard to find a way to bend the kickstand without damaging the bike, so it may be a significant detail.

Yes , I would think it would bend easier if someone was on the bike because the weight would hold the bike down.

It has been a few years since I had kids bikes in the garage but when I moved them (usually backward) the stand would snag in cracks of the (old) concrete floor and the bike would just do a little hop and bounce and keep moving

As I said earlier bike stands are fairly strong but I am also considering that it may have simply pivoted on the top mounting bolt and "looked bent" ..... sometimes they are not tightened properly (pic below)

I also think deugirtini made a good point that it could have been bent earlier and nobody noticed.

Attachments

• top bolt bike stand.JPG
    top bolt bike stand.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 10
Am I the only one frustrated on the lack of information on this guy. There has to be more.

Frustrating yes ..... but in many ways this is a whole new investigation and rarely do police go public with what they have so far .... and if they do search back at all the places CH's lived or visited and then tried to link them to unsolved crimes it would be a long and tedious process.

They may be flooded with tips already and busy checking them out.

Anyway , I share your frustration , we live in such a fast paced world it is hard to be patient.

I believe Sharmini's case was eventually solved.... Who killed Sharmini Anandavel?

There's a new article in the Toronto Star today, about how the police were told that Calvin Hoover had access to Christine Jessop's home. I won't link it because my post was removed when I linked or quoted an article. If anyone is interested, just look up Toronto Star...

There's a new article in the Toronto Star today, about how the police were told that Calvin Hoover had access to Christine Jessop's home. I won't link it because my post was removed when I linked or quoted an article. If anyone is interested, just look up Toronto Star...

Police were told Christine Jessop’s likely killer had access to her home — but ‘it does not appear that Calvin Hoover was ever interviewed,’ documents reveal

I couldn't read it without paying for a subscription, but some of you may have access already.

Thanks Coralina for the heads up. It is always okay to link the article from the Toronto Star, or any other mass media. Many of us do not have access to the Star because we aren't subscribers. But you are allowed (per Websleuths rules) to copy and paste 10% of the actual article. Anything over 10% is considered an infringement of copyright rules.

So you can go ahead and link the article and copy/paste the important section that refers to CH having access to CJ's home. You can also expand on the article in your own words because you provided a link.

Don't feel that you are the only person who has a post removed due to copyright rules. The first time it happened to me, I asked the mod if it was okay if I just posted 10% in multiple posts to include the whole article. Nope. I'm sure SillyBilly had a good laugh over my request.

When you go after the wrong guy almost immediately you're going to miss things. York and Durham didn't have homicide departments back then, had horrible note keeping and interview practices, and likely didn't share much info. There is also the fact that there was just bad-some would say criminal- police work done in this case.
Sometimes things are as simple as they appear.

Wow. What an oversight.

Police were told Calvin Hoover had access to Christine Jessop’s home — but her likely killer was never interviewed, documents reveal
November 11, 2020.

" Hoover's son had discovered his father's body at their Port Hope home on Aug. 16, 2015, after returning from a wedding.

Hoover had left a message on a yellow sticky note on his bathroom mirror: "Hope you all have a good life," it read.

"The deceased Calvin Hoover has reportedly been depressed for over 30 years," reads a police occurence report that summarized the death and noted it was Hoover's second suicide attempt in less than a year."

Last edited:
Police were told Calvin Hoover had access to Christine Jessop’s home — but her likely killer was never interviewed, documents reveal

"According to the document, Hoover's now ex-wife Heather told Sgt. Raymond Bunce on Oct. 4, 1984, that Christine had visited the Scarborough home she shared with Calvin Hoover, only a few days before, on Oct. 1, alongside her mother Janet and brother Kenny."

"Heather Hoover, then 27, told Bunce both she and Calvin worked at Markham's Eastern Telecom with Christine's father, Robert."

Wow. What an oversight.

November 11, 2020.

" Hoover's son had discovered his father's body at their Port Hope home on Aug. 16, 2015, after returning from a wedding.

Hoover had left a message on a yellow sticky note on his bathroom mirror: "Hope you all have a good life," it read.

"The deceased Calvin Hoover has reportedly been depressed for over 30 years," reads a police occurence report that summarized the death and noted it was Hoover's second suicide attempt in less than a year."
Holy *advertiser censored*, great find. Of course, August 16th may not be when he decided to off himself. This just refers to when the body was found, so who knows what day he actually died.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eagerhuntress
Back