UK - Healthcare worker arrested on suspicion of murder/attempted murder of a number of babies, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
There must be considerable grounds for her to be arrested 3 times, unsure what the problem is with charging but I'm sure we will find out.
The Investigation team must have sufficient evidence for a more than 90% chance of securing/having a realistic chance of a successful prosecution as per CPS charging guidelines. These cases are inextricably linked one would assume and therefore, if I were the SIO , I would be investigating all as one incident and therefore the workload involved in securing sufficient evidence to provide a realistic chance of successful prosecution and certainly sufficient evidence to charge the suspect, is immense . Effectively, you are looking at the investigation of 17 major crimes and one in itself can take up to 2 years to get the evidence together to try to prove beyond all reasonable doubt that a person is guilty in a court of law so multiply that by 17 and you get an idea as to the enormity of the task faced .

The Investigation team must have sufficient evidence for a more than 90% chance of securing/having a realistic chance of a successful prosecution as per CPS charging guidelines. These cases are inextricably linked one would assume and therefore, if I were the SIO , I would be investigating all as one incident and therefore the workload involved in securing sufficient evidence to provide a realistic chance of successful prosecution and certainly sufficient evidence to charge the suspect, is immense . Effectively, you are looking at the investigation of 17 major crimes and one in itself can take up to 2 years to get the evidence together to try to prove beyond all reasonable doubt that a person is guilty in a court of law so multiply that by 17 and you get an idea as to the enormity of the task faced .

Yes, it will be an enormous task. I gave birth to my child in this hospital (won't bore you with my own experience but it is not good) and I know a few people connected to this case, they've not told me anything and nor would I ask.

If the evidence is sufficient to charge, could she not be charged with x number of offences and more added later?

I don't know if I'm surprised at the public reaction or not. There seems to be immense sympathy for her, the outrage is at her being named rather than deceased babies. Of course she is presumed innocent until proven otherwise, however I do wonder how different the reaction might be if she wasn't as pleasant looking. Maybe it wouldn't be, I don't know.

at some point it seems ridiculous that they re-arrest her every year
but I suppose they must be uncovering new evidence each time?
(idk how police force works there with the prosecution)

I notice my link to the Justice Gap article upthread is no longer working, so I thought it might be an opportune moment to post an archived version:

How to become a convicted serial killer (without killing anyone) - The Justice Gap

The spectre of a serial killer has now taken possession of the mind of the first doctor who got alarmed and he or she rapidly spreads the virus to his close colleagues. They talk together and agree to do some work. They start looking at other seemingly similar recent cases and they let their minds fall back to other odd things which happened in recent months and stuck in their minds. The scary nurse had also stuck in their minds, and they connect the two.

They go trawling and soon they have 20 or 30 ‘incidents’ which are now bothering them. They check each one for any sign of involvement of the scary nurse and if he’s involved the incident quickly takes on a very sinister look. Hindsight, right? On the other hand if he was on a week’s vacation then obviously everything must have been OK and the case is forgotten.

Yes I agree. Absolutely awful if she is guilty of this.

It's Beverley Allitt all over again, chillingly dubbed The Angel Of Death. She murdered 4 babies and attempted to murder/GBH another 9 in 1991.

She got 13 life sentences with a minimum tariff of 28 years... which must mean she's due for parole relatively soon.

Beverley Allitt - Wikipedia

So sad for the parents of these little ones ..putting all their trust and faith in people to save them
With so many cases mentioned..a single person being present at so many is damning ..im wondering if these "additional" cases were the straw that broke the camels back

Interesting news article about the state of the hospital and how it was run:

"The woman, who wished to remain anonymous, told the Guardian her son was born at the hospital by an emergency cesarean section in September 2015 and spent two days in the neonatal unit.

She said: “My son stopped breathing after I was induced and the negligence in the hospital was absolutely horrendous from the start. They had no staff and the care was just terrible. Some of the midwives were lovely but the majority weren’t. I ended up having a horrendous time after giving birth.

“My son was in the neonatal unit and I developed an infection which was due to negligence by a member of staff. We made a complaint at the time but it was brushed under the carpet.”"

Cheshire baby deaths: police widen inquiry to second hospital

This feels depressingly familiar to me. If she is guilty, I wonder if the mismanagement of the unit was the reason it wasn't flagged up sooner and could explain the departure of the Chief Exec? Speculation of course.

This feels depressingly familiar to me. If she is guilty, I wonder if the mismanagement of the unit was the reason it wasn't flagged up sooner and could explain the departure of the Chief Exec? Speculation of course.

Really sorry you went through a horrible experience at what should have been a joyous time, Ally.

Have regularly searched for news on this case over the last couple of years, knowing all the details up to what we know today. And yet when today’s news broke it still really shook me.
I just can’t fathom it, even more after seeing the accused’s pictures and hearing the snippets from people who know her. What world are we living in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken