Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #86

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s almost like the national narrative has become “no big deal” turning denial into some sort of bravado to impress others or to self-convince.

That will change as the slow learners see that this is real, and that their behaviour contributes to the problem. But, it will be a hard lesson for those who take a long time to figure this out.

That will change as the slow learners see that this is real, and that their behaviour contributes to the problem. But, it will be a hard lesson for those who take a long time to figure this out.

I admire your positivity! I'm afraid that a lot of the problem can't be solved with education. It might go much deeper than run-of-the-mill ignorance, IMO

Here is the article that states the wearer of the mask benefits from wearing it. I have always felt that their failure to state this in the beginning of the pandemic was a huge fail. Let's face it, people care about the self first, and others second. If people were told a mask would protect them, you would have found more compliance IMO

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

I am so po'd at the CDC- How long has the pandemic been coursing through the globe and only now, only now does the CDC come out and say, oh, by the way, a mask protects the wearer too!!! You mean you needed research to know this? Give me a break. Who could not figure out that the mask is a barrier-- to germs and viruses and that of course it would help keep germs and viruses from going thru that barrier: is it 100%? of course not, but it would certainly lessen the viral load. As far as masks go, with all the confusion coming from our so called experts, the horse left the barn a long time ago, and those people who may have complied with a cogent message from the get-go are now the ones who refuse to wear masks. What a mess.

OREGON—fastest growing number of cases on the West Coast.

Personal note: Quite frankly, I’m trying reeeeaallly hard not to be terrified. Oregon’s governor was so proactive from the beginning, but mandates only work if people cooperate. At first they did, but now it’s “eat, drink and be merry” in small groups that lead to community spread. And sue the governor over restrictions. :mad: My southern Oregon county (Jackson) is leading the pack in our area, just behind the more populated counties surrounding Portland up north. We are so careful, and I honestly don’t know what more my husband and I can do to protect ourselves. :(

With the fastest-growing number of COVID-19 cases on the West Coast, Oregon hospitals are preparing to deal with a surge in patients.
<snip>

But as of Monday, there were 318 patients hospitalized with COVID-19, part of a pattern in which the number of new cases reported daily continues to climb.

“The trend is clear and very concerning,” said Dana Hargunani, the chief medical officer for the Oregon Health Authority.

While a case surge could be worse this time around, the state has had more time to prepare. Oregon’s warehouse is stocked with PPE — personal protective equipment: over 10 million surgical masks, nearly 4 million gowns and N95-masks and over 7 million gloves. New shipments of PPE are coming in every day: 5 million gloves arrived over the weekend.

Related: OPB's coronavirus coverage

And hospitals have had time to prepare, too. They’ve set up surge tents and additional beds in anticipation of a patient influx.

“We now have multiple plans and systems in place,” Hargunani said. “We’re better prepared than we were in February.”
<snip>

But space isn’t what’s limiting his hospital’s capacity: it’s people.

“Staffing is really an issue as we bounce up against our capacity constraints,” Absalon said.

“We will have to reduce elective surgeries,” Absalon said. Many of those surgeries were rescheduled when elective procedures were paused across the state earlier this year.

Dr. Jamie Greboski is the chief medical officer at Asante, which runs four hospitals in Southern Oregon. Asante is a regional resource hospital in a part of Oregon that last week saw new diagnosed cases rise by 162%.That’s meant more hospitalizations, too. “Over the last few days, we’ve had a threefold increase in the number of patients,” Greboski said. He doesn’t see that slowing any time soon.

“We set up, regionally, a COVID hotline,” Greboski said. It can help people who think they have COVID figure out if they need to seek further care or go to a hospital.The line was flooded. “I heard today that we had 100 calls an hour in the first two hours of the day,” said Greboski.

There are patients at some of Asante’s hospitals that could be discharged to a different medical center to recover. That’s a common practice for patients recovering from a severe illness. But Greboski says the places they normally send patients - like memory care facilities, nursing homes, and skilled nursing facilities - either don’t have room, are already battling COVID-19 infections, or can’t accept any patients with COVID-19."At Medford Rogue (Regional Medical Center) we have 15 people waiting for a placement. In Grants Pass, ten people are waiting for a placement," Greboski said. That’s 25 fewer available beds available in the region until those patients can be moved.

Oregon currently still has enough nurses available statewide to care for COVID-19 patients and staff ICUs as they fill up, according to the Oregon Nurses Association.

“We still have enough nurses now,” said Kevin Mealy, a spokesperson for the union. “The number of beds is less important than the number of people able to staff them… there are interventions you can take to create more spaces, but creating people with the competency and training to care for patients is the much more important effort.”

Mealy said he’s most concerned about how rural hospitals will manage as the number of cases in Oregon hits a new peak.

“In areas of Oregon where there’s only one hospital for miles and miles and they begin with fewer ICU beds, it does not take a large outbreak to fill that capacity,” he said.

Gov. Brown pleads with Oregonians to stay home as COVID-19 strains hospital capacity

Maine
Maine's Rising COVID Rate Leads US; Vermont Has Record Number of Cases in 1 Day
More at link
While Vermont reports the most coronavirus cases it's seen in a single day of the pandemic, Maine's two-week rise in cases is leading the nation.

No other state in the United States has seen a bigger increase in the number of cases as a percentage of all its cases than Maine, according to NBC News data. Maine's number of COVID-19 cases rose 229% between Oct. 28 and Nov. 11.

Long one of the states with the lowest coronavirus levels, Maine was averaging about 50 cases per day two weeks ago. That's now up to 163 cases per day, according to data on Maine's COVID dashboard.

Two other states in New England round out the top 10, according to NBC News: Connecticut, with a 106% increase, and New Hampshire, with a 91% increase.

While Vermont didn't make the list, it reported 72 coronavirus cases Wednesday, a single-day record for the Green Mountain State. It's also more than double what Vermont reported on Tuesday.

Bishop Harry Jackson Jr., Donald Trump’s evangelical adviser, died on November 9 at the age of 66. Jackson’s church, Hope Christian Church, issued a statement on its website confirming the death of the well-known conservative pastor. A cause of death was not immediately provided.

Jackson also appeared at the White House ceremony for Trump’s official announcement nominating Justice Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court and also appeared alongside Vice President Mike Pence at a town hall on November 1, the outlet wrote. Jackson’s church confirmed to the outlet in October that the pastor had tested negative for coronavirus after the White House event at which many attendees tested positive.

Bishop Harry Jackson Jr. Dead: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

I just had an incredibly disheartening, frustrating conversation with a younger friend re COVID precautions. He called as he was driving to Starbucks where he was going to sit inside and work on a report. I asked him why he doesn’t work on it at home given COVID and he said he “refuses to sacrifice his lifestyle”. COVID is everywhere and people are going to get it or not. The ones who are worried should be the ones that have to change their behavior.

I spent 45 minutes quoting facts, stats and talking about the general good. Explained we are running out of hospital beds and if people don’t dial back social interaction hospitals will become overloaded and people sick with other things may not be able to receive medical attention. He readily agreed if there wasn’t enough water for some people to drink he would dial back on his water use. But doing something to ease demand on hospital rooms is different apparently.

I explained how easily the disease is transmitted, and it’s not just old people but anyone over 40 that are more likely to be hospitalized. And people who aren’t hospitalized may have long term health consequences. He’s the father of two small children and even news that kids are getting sick didn’t phase him.

The conversation ended w/me saying “so you’d rather run the risk of being responsible for the death of someone than delay hanging out inside Starbucks for a few weeks?”

His reply. “Yep”.

This is a guy in his 30’s who’s responsible and generally very kind/generous.

I have another friend who is insisting on flying to Las Vegas Friday with a friend, even though he has an immuno-compromised wife and children. He’s another that would usually give a complete stranger the shirt off his back.

It seems while these two people would go out of their way to help someone who needs it, they truly don’t see value in doing their part to avoid people getting hurt in the first place.

No public service message is going to change their minds. And our Governor is refusing to enact stricter stay at home orders or enforce the ones in place. He just keeps giving press conferences few people where he implores citizens of CO to do the right thing. Most recently asking us to limit all social interaction just to household members in November. All this imploring and we’re breaking new case and hospitalization records daily. As long as it’s more important to some people that they get to sit in a Starbucks today than save lives the plea to do the right thing isn’t going to help. I’m seeing proof first hand that people get it, THEY SIMPLY DON’T CARE.

I truly hope our Governor quits ignoring the letter sent to him last week by a number of State Health Officials begging him to tighten restrictions. If he doesn’t step up now our hospitals are going to buckle by the end of the year.

Thank you for trying!

I just had an incredibly disheartening, frustrating conversation with a younger friend re COVID precautions. He called as he was driving to Starbucks where he was going to sit inside and work on a report. I asked him why he doesn’t work on it at home given COVID and he said he “refuses to sacrifice his lifestyle”. COVID is everywhere and people are going to get it or not. The ones who are worried should be the ones that have to change their behavior.

I spent 45 minutes quoting facts, stats and talking about the general good. Explained we are running out of hospital beds and if people don’t dial back social interaction hospitals will become overloaded and people sick with other things may not be able to receive medical attention. He readily agreed if there wasn’t enough water for some people to drink he would dial back on his water use. But doing something to ease demand on hospital rooms is different apparently.

I explained how easily the disease is transmitted, and it’s not just old people but anyone over 40 that are more likely to be hospitalized. And people who aren’t hospitalized may have long term health consequences. He’s the father of two small children and even news that kids are getting sick didn’t phase him.

The conversation ended w/me saying “so you’d rather run the risk of being responsible for the death of someone than delay hanging out inside Starbucks for a few weeks?”

His reply. “Yep”.

This is a guy in his 30’s who’s responsible and generally very kind/generous.

I have another friend who is insisting on flying to Las Vegas Friday with a friend, even though he has an immuno-compromised wife and children. He’s another that would usually give a complete stranger the shirt off his back.

It seems while these two people would go out of their way to help someone who needs it, they truly don’t see value in doing their part to avoid people getting hurt in the first place.

No public service message is going to change their minds. And our Governor is refusing to enact stricter stay at home orders or enforce the ones in place. He just keeps giving press conferences few people where he implores citizens of CO to do the right thing. Most recently asking us to limit all social interaction just to household members in November. All this imploring and we’re breaking new case and hospitalization records daily. As long as it’s more important to some people that they get to sit in a Starbucks today than save lives the plea to do the right thing isn’t going to help. I’m seeing proof first hand that people get it, THEY SIMPLY DON’T CARE.

I truly hope our Governor quits ignoring the letter sent to him last week by a number of State Health Officials begging him to tighten restrictions. If he doesn’t step up now our hospitals are going to buckle by the end of the year.

The Starbucks here are all closed. The staff all have Covid or are under quarantine.

Nevada Update:

“Gov. Steve Sisolak warns Nevadans to 'immediately' change their behaviors

Gov. Steve Sisolak has issued Nevadans a clear ultimatum: Shape up in two weeks, or expect steps toward another shutdown meant to halt a recent surge in coronavirus cases.

Sisolak, speaking during a Tuesday press conference at the state Capitol, told reporters the state “must see a significant reversal of the current trends” in order to keep the state’s economy up and running. He also asked local governments to step up enforcement of the state’s existing COVID-containment measures and urged employers to allow telework whenever possible — all in order to “mimic” much stricter shelter-in-place orders issued at the start of the pandemic.

The first-term Democrat has practically begged residents to follow Nevada’s mask-wearing and social distancing orders during recent virus-related press events. Now, he says he’s longer asking.

“Nevadans need to change behaviors immediately," the governor said. "Again, if we don’t make progress over the next 14 days, I will be forced to take stronger action.”“

COVID news: 1M US cases in November; NFL approves contingency plan

I kind of doubt that will happen. We seem to be a nation of absolute imbeciles incapable of grasping the consequences of our actions. All the insane amount of rules and regulations and laws our country has and suddenly in a pandemic we expect people to be ruled by some code of honor and decency. Oh, no.. we can be expected to wear a seatbelt and shoes in a store but we most certainly can not ask people to wear a blasted mask. That suddenly infringes on our liberty and freedom to breath all over our fellow man.

My spouse, a public school teacher, has been told that a symptomatic student tested positive this past weekend after being in class Friday. Luckily, all teachers and students seem to wear masks at school. School nurse has advised my spouse to (1) quarantine for 14 days, (2) wear a mask at home and (3) exclusively use one bathroom in the house. Spouse has elected to follow only the first suggestion. Should I be worried, p-off, of indifferent? As Twenty One Pilots would say... What's my Level of Concern?

COVID-19's spread in Oklahoma is unyielding, unmitigated and requires immediate action, with all indicators worsening as hospitalizations hit record numbers, according to the latest White House Coronavirus Task Force report.

Oklahoma's weekly new cases and test positivity rates both set highs, with 83% of the state's counties in the red zone for high levels of community spread.

"The unyielding COVID spread across Oklahoma continues with new hospital admissions, inpatients, and patients in the ICU at record levels, indicating deeper spread across the state," according to the report, released Wednesday.

"The most recent trends, showing steep inclines across all indicators, need immediate action including mask requirements to decrease severity in morbidity and mortality among Oklahomans," the task force said.

Gov. Kevin Stitt hasn't followed the ongoing mask-mandate recommendation of the task force, which is a federal entity established under President Donald Trump.

However, Stitt is asking Oklahomans to follow his advice to wear a mask.

As recently as Tuesday, Stitt said he has been clear that it's a matter of "personal responsibility" and "doing the right thing," not a mandate.

The state's weekly epidemiology report continues to demonstrate the success of mask requirements enacted by municipal governments.
White House task force: COVID-19 in Oklahoma is 'unyielding,' 'unmitigated' and requires 'immediate action'

My spouse, a public school teacher, has been told that a symptomatic student tested positive this past weekend after being in class Friday. Luckily, all teachers and students seem to wear masks at school. School nurse has advised my spouse to (1) quarantine for 14 days, (2) wear a mask at home and (3) exclusively use one bathroom in the house. Spouse has elected to follow only the first suggestion. Should I be worried, p-off, of indifferent? As Twenty One Pilots would say... What's my Level of Concern?

Well, the 1st suggestion is to keep other people safe. The 2nd & 3rd suggestions are specifically to keep You safe.

If he doesn't have the virus, you have nothing to be concerned about. If he has it, and the "suggestions" are not all followed, you are probably going to get the virus at some point as well.

Want a little piece of mind, have him get tested daily. But know that isn't foolproof either, but if he's safe through this weekend, he's probably fine, since he would have contracted it last Friday.

Nothing much you can do. You could "isolate" him in the house. But it really depends on the size of your home. He can go get tested...

He is on quarantine, but you are not, unless he tests positive. Then, you are under quarantine.

Perhaps you could just use the other bathroom exclusively? (Don’t know how many you have)
I’m surprised she didn’t mention getting tested prior to returning to work?
I’d probably be worried and a little bit pissy.

COVID-19's spread in Oklahoma is unyielding, unmitigated and requires immediate action, with all indicators worsening as hospitalizations hit record numbers, according to the latest White House Coronavirus Task Force report.

Oklahoma's weekly new cases and test positivity rates both set highs, with 83% of the state's counties in the red zone for high levels of community spread.

"The unyielding COVID spread across Oklahoma continues with new hospital admissions, inpatients, and patients in the ICU at record levels, indicating deeper spread across the state," according to the report, released Wednesday.

"The most recent trends, showing steep inclines across all indicators, need immediate action including mask requirements to decrease severity in morbidity and mortality among Oklahomans," the task force said.

Gov. Kevin Stitt hasn't followed the ongoing mask-mandate recommendation of the task force, which is a federal entity established under President Donald Trump.

However, Stitt is asking Oklahomans to follow his advice to wear a mask.

As recently as Tuesday, Stitt said he has been clear that it's a matter of "personal responsibility" and "doing the right thing," not a mandate.

The state's weekly epidemiology report continues to demonstrate the success of mask requirements enacted by municipal governments.
White House task force: COVID-19 in Oklahoma is 'unyielding,' 'unmitigated' and requires 'immediate action'
Good to see you @imstilla.grandma!

Thanks so much. I’ve been getting stronger by the day. The sweet sweet voices of “Never give up Grandma” keep me going and give me reasons to wake up and smile. I’ve been so out of the WS loops the last few months, it’s taken me awhile to begin posting again, but it’s like riding a bike. Right?

Utah mask mandate draws protest

Dozens of protesters gathered outside the Utah governor's mansion on Monday as Gov. Gary Herbert's statewide mask mandate went into effect, an effort to help combat the state's boom in new coronavirus cases.

The crowd waved signs with slogans such as "stop the tyranny" and describing Herbert as a "dictator." Protester Ken Whetstone told The Deseret News that more people would have protested, but they were intimidated by "big government." Herbert also banned extracurricular activities and casual social gatherings among those of different households, citing the severe strain the increasing coronavirus caseload has put on hospitals.

"If everybody who’s not happy with the mask mandate and the limit of 10 people gathering, if everyone that was unhappy with that came out to protest, this street would be full," Whetstone said.”

COVID news: 1M US cases in November; NFL approves contingency plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member