LA - Quawan Charles, 15, found deceased in field, left home with unk. woman, Loreauville 2 Nov 2020

We know that his friend and the friend's mother picked him up and took him to their home. Were they not going to take him back home too?
How did he leave their home? How far is it from his home? How far from the friend's house is the cane field? Or how far is it from his father's home?
So many questions and nothing reported. How does he manage to be face down in water? MOO

Bobby resided in Baldwin (St. Mary Parish) and his body was found in Loreauville (Iberia). These parishes are located in the 16th Judicial District. Bo Duhé is the newly reelected DA.

There was no Amber Alert issued,” Chase Trichell, the family’s lawyer, told News 10. “The police did not take this seriously, at least initially, and the question of course is, could his life have been saved?”

“He was found dead under mysterious circumstances, and we just want an honest and thorough investigation with the Iberia Parish Sheriff Department,” Quawan’s stepfather Jason Nelson said, according to Essence.
Teen boy’s graphic photo gets compared to Emmett Till as family pushes for justice into his mysterious death

He looks so little in this video. Senseless tragedy. I’m sad.

Last edited:
Bobby resided in Baldwin (St. Mary Parish) and his body was found in Loreauville (Iberia). These parishes are located in the 16th Judicial District. Bo Duhé is the newly reelected DA.
~30 minutes apart?

But family members say a recorded phone call shows evidence of foul play, as activists suggest Bobby's death might have been racially motivated.

Bobby's disappearance and death have caught the attention of activist groups like Stand Black, which released a recording of a phone conversation between Bobby's mother and an unidentified woman. The woman on the other end claims the mother and son Bobby was last seen with...

UPDATE: ACLU weighs in on investigation into teen's death

[Missing out delving properly into these cases without a laptop ugh come on Santa]

In the recently released recording you hear the mother of the teen talking to another parent who is friends with the family last seen with Quawan.

The friend’s mother explains what her son told her: He says, the family was high on mushrooms.

“He did say whenever they picked up your son, him and his mother and the stepdad were all tripping on mushrooms. The ones that are poisonous, they make you trip out.”

Also in the recording, the friend reveals what he heard about the location of Charles’ body.

“From what I could understand he told my son that they found your son’s body in a sugar cane field behind their house.”
Family attorney: New evidence may help solve murder of 15-year-old Quawan "Bobby" Charles

A question I have
edit added more
Would his skin look melted as it does if left in water ? I thought water decomposition look likes peeling skin
Another thing would his teeth be exposed after a few days I water? Is that realistic?

Last edited:
A question I have
edit added more
Would his skin look melted as it does if left in water ? I thought water decomposition look likes peeling skin
Another thing would his teeth be exposed after a few days I water? Is that realistic?
To myself, an amateur, I don’t see how water could have caused the deterioration to Quawan‘s little face as shown in the released photo. No way-imo...

A 15-year-old boy died, apparently under the care of an adult. This teenager was removed from his home by this adult. And LE is not going to investigate?
When did Quawan go missing? When did he die? When was he found?
Because that autopsy picture doesn't scream "drowning" to me, but I need answers to the above questions so I can actually understand the circumstances and if the state of his face was actually just caused by decomposition.

To myself, an amateur, I don’t see how water could have caused the deterioration to Quawan‘s little face as shown in the released photo. No way-imo...
Well, we haven't heard many details other than from the family and attorneys. We don't know how much of his face or body was submerged.

The coroner apparently told the family there was no blunt force trauma to his head. There are several reasons his face could have appeared to be disfigured. Decomposition alone can cause changes in appearance. We don't know how long the body had been there.

If one side of his face was not under the water, it could have been targeted by insects, birds, or other animals. Also, crayfish will nibble on dead matter.

From what I've read, the first autopsy report hasn't even been completed yet.

The lawyers and activists are a little too soon in jumping to conclusions, in my opinion.

They keep saying that LE should have issued an Amber Alert, when the circumstances would never had met the criteria. There was no evidence of an abduction, no specific time, no vehicle description, no suspect description and no indication that he was in danger.

I do think LE should take cases like this seriously from the beginning, especially when it's a child his age that's missing. But again, we don't know the details. He may have gone off before without his parent's permission.

We also have heard nothing from the friend or the mother who picked Quawan up. We don't know if he was brought back to their house to hang out, or how long he was with them. Investigators may know those details, and there is probably a reason they aren't sharing information with the public or the family. This isn't unusual, but the attorneys are making it sound like LE aren't doing their jobs. It's only the start of the investigation, and it sounds to me like it's complicated. It may take awhile before they get answers.

An independent autopsy costs about $3,000- $5,000, and they have already raised far more than that. They will get their answers eventually. They should be able to hire one of the best forensic pathologists in the country.

IMO

Well, we haven't heard many details other than from the family and attorneys. We don't know how much of his face or body was submerged.

The coroner apparently told the family there was no blunt force trauma to his head. There are several reasons his face could have appeared to be disfigured. Decomposition alone can cause changes in appearance. We don't know how long the body had been there.

If one side of his face was not under the water, it could have been targeted by insects, birds, or other animals. Also, crayfish will nibble on dead matter.

From what I've read, the first autopsy report hasn't even been completed yet.

The lawyers and activists are a little too soon in jumping to conclusions, in my opinion.

They keep saying that LE should have issued an Amber Alert, when the circumstances would never had met the criteria. There was no evidence of an abduction, no specific time, no vehicle description, no suspect description and no indication that he was in danger.

I do think LE should take cases like this seriously from the beginning, especially when it's a child his age that's missing. But again, we don't know the details. He may have gone off before without his parent's permission.

We also have heard nothing from the friend or the mother who picked Quawan up. We don't know if he was brought back to their house to hang out, or how long he was with them. Investigators may know those details, and there is probably a reason they aren't sharing information with the public or the family. This isn't unusual, but the attorneys are making it sound like LE aren't doing their jobs. It's only the start of the investigation, and it sounds to me like it's complicated. It may take awhile before they get answers.

An independent autopsy costs about $3,000- $5,000, and they have already raised far more than that. They will get their answers eventually. They should be able to hire one of the best forensic pathologists in the country.

IMO
I appreciate your sensible words. I’m hurting for this boy and his family. I think it’s possibly too soon for organized protests, finger pointing blame and accusations of criminal activity, racism or corruption. This case has seized the public’s attention. Answers and transparency should and will rise to the levels needed. I hate to see this case ride the coattails of other recent relatable tragedies just yet. Clear professional investigative minds are necessary to address the family’s agony and pain so that truth prevails.

A 15-year-old boy died, apparently under the care of an adult. This teenager was removed from his home by this adult. And LE is not going to investigate?
When did Quawan go missing? When did he die? When was he found?
Because that autopsy picture doesn't scream "drowning" to me, but I need answers to the above questions so I can actually understand the circumstances and if the state of his face was actually just caused by decomposition.
There are two Police Departments investigating. The Baldwin Police Dept is handling the missing persons case and the Iberia Sheriffs Dept is handling the rest of the investigation. In their last statement they said that they have collected physical evidence which is being processed and they have interviewed multiple individuals. An autopsy has been performed and the results are pending at this time. It probably won't be complete for two months, which is not uncommon.

I'm not sure why attorneys are already assuming things about the cause and manner of death.

Like Breaux stated in "The Advocate," Police cases are not investigated "in one hour with commercial breaks."

I don't know how to link the article but it contains a lot of information.

Quawan's father also mentions that he bought their pitbull from the 17 year old friend a few years ago. If they have known the family that long, I wonder what it is about them that they assumed the mother is responsible for the disappearance.

IMO

So, to me, his face seems pretty intact except for what looks like scraping or dragging on one side, and a nice head would on that side as well. Could that be from washing down the creek?
I think there are many possibilities. It's impossible to tell from one autopsy photo without knowing the coroner's findings. To me, signs of a beating might include bruising, cuts and abrasions, broken bones, fractures in the jaw, cheekbones, skull, etc, as well as swelling in specific areas.

For activists and lawyers to claim the child was lynched and the crime was racially motivated based on one autopsy photo is premature, and might be harmful to the investigation.

Investigators look for evidence and leads before they come to conclusions. Do the lawyers really expect them to develop a theory first and then look for evidence to support it?

This very well could have been a homicide, but unfortunately some of the media have set the stage that LE are trying to hide or cover up something nefarious. That's not a good way to start, especially without a shred of evidence to support the accusation.

Imo

There are two Police Departments investigating. The Baldwin Police Dept is handling the missing persons case and the Iberia Sheriffs Dept is handling the rest of the investigation. In their last statement they said that they have collected physical evidence which is being processed and they have interviewed multiple individuals. An autopsy has been performed and the results are pending at this time. It probably won't be complete for two months, which is not uncommon.

I'm not sure why attorneys are already assuming things about the cause and manner of death.

Like Breaux stated in "The Advocate," Police cases are not investigated "in one hour with commercial breaks."

I don't know how to link the article but it contains a lot of information.

Quawan's father also mentions that he bought their pitbull from the 17 year old friend a few years ago. If they have known the family that long, I wonder what it is about them that they assumed the mother is responsible for the disappearance.

IMO
@MsBetsy. I think this is the article.

Family, activists demand justice for Quawan 'Bobby' Charles, Black teen found dead in rural Iberia Parish

“He didn't talk much to people," Charles said. "He looked. He was always quiet. He liked to fish. He loved to ride his four-wheeler. He had a dog he was in love with."

Bobby purchased the pit bull, which he affectionately called My Baby, a few years ago from the same 17-year-old he was seen with the day he went missing, according to Charles.

Charles said they've also questioned if robbery could have been a factor after a detective told them a large amount of cash was discovered with the body.

It would not be unusual for the teen to have $200 or $300 in cash, according to Charles, who said he often saved his allowance and was frugal with his money.”
———-
The friend and his mother were not newly acquainted with Bobby/family, thought perhaps he was a new friend from his new neighborhood.

The map in the article is informative.

Last edited:
Thanks! There are a few things that stand out to me in that article.

Apparently Bobby had been hanging out with the wrong crowd before they recently moved. Was this 17 year old part of that crowd? They had known each other for at least a few years, since the dog allegedly came from them. I wonder if they had a history of conflict with that family.

Another thing that stands out is that Quawan was found with a large amount of cash. His father thinks a robbery may have occurred. He said it was normal for him to carry around two or three hundred dollars. To me it seems unusual for a fifteen year old. If someone tried to rob him, why would they leave the money?

I think the money may play a role but I don't know how.

IMO

Last edited:
According to a police report from BPD, Charles’ mother said that she was not present at the time that he went missing because he was staying with his father because the two did not live together. Charles had only recently been allowed to stay with his father for the two weeks prior to his disappearance.

Charles’ father told police that he went to the store around 4 p.m., but after returning a few minutes later he attempted to knock on the door to Charles’ room several times without a response.

The father told police that he then used a tool to gain entry into the room and discovered the teen was missing.

Both parents told police that Charles had not been a problem at home but had been placed on a curfew by the 16th Judicial District Court because of disciplinary problems at school.

The parents told police that Charles did not have any friends and had never left home before without them knowing about it.

The police state in the report that there was a football game taking place at West St. Mary High School in Baldwin as well as an event called Boo on the Bayou in Franklin. Charles’ father told police he would begin searching those areas. However, he later contacted SMPSO and said he was not able to locate Charles’ at either location
New details emerge on disappearance of Baldwin teen who was later found dead

According to a police report from BPD, Charles’ mother said that she was not present at the time that he went missing because he was staying with his father because the two did not live together. Charles had only recently been allowed to stay with his father for the two weeks prior to his disappearance.

Charles’ father told police that he went to the store around 4 p.m., but after returning a few minutes later he attempted to knock on the door to Charles’ room several times without a response.

The father told police that he then used a tool to gain entry into the room and discovered the teen was missing.

Both parents told police that Charles had not been a problem at home but had been placed on a curfew by the 16th Judicial District Court because of disciplinary problems at school.

The parents told police that Charles did not have any friends and had never left home before without them knowing about it.

The police state in the report that there was a football game taking place at West St. Mary High School in Baldwin as well as an event called Boo on the Bayou in Franklin. Charles’ father told police he would begin searching those areas. However, he later contacted SMPSO and said he was not able to locate Charles’ at either location
New details emerge on disappearance of Baldwin teen who was later found dead
How long had Bobby been attending West St. Mary HS in Baldwin?
He lived with his mother prior to the two weeks with his father?
Bobby previously went to Southside HS in Youngsville where his mother lived - is that correct?
Bobby was on a curfew from which school?

He didn’t have any friends?

Then what “wrong crowd” was he hanging out with?

Confusing.

I think there are many possibilities. It's impossible to tell from one autopsy photo without knowing the coroner's findings. To me, signs of a beating might include bruising, cuts and abrasions, broken bones, fractures in the jaw, cheekbones, skull, etc, as well as swelling in specific areas.

For activists and lawyers to claim the child was lynched and the crime was racially motivated based on one autopsy photo is premature, and might be harmful to the investigation.

Investigators look for evidence and leads before they come to conclusions. Do the lawyers really expect them to develop a theory first and then look for evidence to support it?

This very well could have been a homicide, but unfortunately some of the media have set the stage that LE are trying to hide or cover up something nefarious. That's not a good way to start, especially without a shred of evidence to support the accusation.

Imo
Unfortunately, social media and organizations fighting for justice have amped up the pressure on LE. News sources showed videos of a large group of protesters marching in the mobile home park where the alleged individuals being blamed for killing Bobby. The individuals moved out of their home.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire
Back