Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #87

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in no way saying lockdowns don’t work. What I am saying is if people are FOR lockdowns then they MUST be willing to forfeit certain things.
EXCEPT for those in high risk groups everyone should be willing to get their own groceries and come right home, hang out with ONLY those you live with, forgo gatherings, and abstain from attending church. We can’t have it both ways.
How about they forfeit online shopping? Somehow, my customer service job was deemed essential...and the warehouse workers, shippers, drivers etc. and I am so tired of folks who say it’s great for stores to be closed on Thanksgiving :as these same folks will be calling us on Thanksgiving

More than 2,000 nurses in southeastern Pennsylvania are set to go on strike as soon as next week as the United States faces a rising wave of cases in a pandemic that has severely strained the country’s medical system.

PASNAP said in a statement released last Friday that its members had been “pushed to the brink by unsafe staffing that seriously undermines patient safety” and that they would take the extraordinary step of striking “to protect their patients and themselves.”

“To take care of a Covid patient, number one, is daunting in itself. And to add two and three and four patients in that mix, because you refuse to staff properly, is just unconscionable,” Maria Plano, an intensive care nurse at St. Christopher’s, said in a phone interview.

Thousands of Philadelphia area nurses plan to strike as virus cases surge and their working conditions worsen.

Years ago there was a terrible fire at the Our Lady of the Angels school in Chicago which killed over 90 people most of which were kids. Years later a writer interviewed people who had survived the fire and one survivor had gone on to college to become a psychiatrist. This person stated that he had interviewed his classmates who had survived the fire and said that he could not find one person who he would diagnose with PTSD.

We throw arounds terms like "depression" and "ptsd" very loosely now a days in fact it seems to be the newest fad for celebrities to start claiming they suffer from depression. I am not saying no one with Covid-19 is suffering from any of these mental illnesses but going through a tough time does not equal mental illness.

PTSD because a recognized diagnosis with the publication of DSM-III in 1980. This was over 20 years after the Our Lady of the Angels fire. The real lesson here is that time heals rather than PTSD is exaggerated.

Colorado tightens COVID-19 restrictions in 12 more counties

COVID In Colorado: Nearly 5,200 New Cases Reported Thursday

* New record, 5,197 new cases

* 7 day avg. positivity rate=11.68%

* New high: 1,183 hospitalized (90% of facilities reporting)

* Colorado set a new record for testing on Wednesday

Additionally:

“Officials said they expect to have a vaccine available to the first phase of recipients — first responders, healthcare workers and some others — by the end of November or early December. Larger shipments of doses are expected in the first quarter of 2021.“

Last edited:
Exactly! People have to be willing to do what needs to be done. No deliveries, no church, no protests, no rallies, no parties or visiting family.
It’s easy to say but I see posts every day where people are doing the opposite.

I don't understand the rationale about what gets "shut down" and what "stays open". When my state was "shut down" it seemed like business as usual. Almost every single business had some sort of "exemption".
1. Hardware stores, Home Depot.
2. Craft stores, Hobby Lobby
3. Auto parts, Napa
4. Construction jobs kept on going
5. Bike shops, sure, go buy a bike
6. Wine shops, must have WINE!
7. Expensive coffee and bakery shops. Can't go without Starbucks!
8. Kitchen store, Williams-Somoma, in case there was a "ravioli machine" emergency!

On and on...we never really had a "lock down". And now, this is our reward.

COVID update: Daily deaths jump; California 1M; Chicago lockdown

“The daily U.S. coronavirus death toll rocketed past 2,000 on Wednesday as weeks of rising infection totals are beginning to translate into fatality numbers not seen since May. In other signs the pandemic is only getting worse, Chicago neared a lockdown and California surpassed 1 million infections.

A fall uptick in cases is now killing Americans almost as quickly as the worst week of the summer surge. After that, deaths will be comparable only to the spring surge, when for more than a week daily deaths averaged over 2,000.”
—-

New Zealand partially shuts central Auckland over mystery Covid case

How Ticketmaster Plans to Check Your Vaccine Status for Concerts: Exclusive

Latest models, etc:

Last edited:
With North Dakota hospitals at 100% capacity, Burgum announces COVID-positive nurses can stay at work | Grand Forks Herald

Sure. The insanity continues. Why stop at nurses? Covid positive teachers should just keep working too. Grocery store workers, Walmart employees. Just go to work.

Seriously?!
Here's what the ND Nurses Association thinks about his knucklehead announcement:
ND nurses reject policy allowing COVID-positive medical workers to stay on job, call for mask mandate | Grand Forks Herald

It is Friday evening here ... and what was one of the leading headlines on Australian TV news?

"America has a frightening new peak in daily covid cases"
BBM

Tell me about it! :mad: It’s horrible. I really appreciate the rest of the world taking notice. We all care about each other!

OREGON REPORT (just one state out of 50 that’s not as bad as many):

As I said yesterday when reporting on Oregon, I’m terrified, and today Oregon just smashed a record with over 1000 cases in a day for the first time. My county (Jackson—the lone dark purple county in the southwest next to the two bright pink counties near the coast) is helping to lead the charge with it’s all time high of 123 cases and 2 more deaths today (total of 10). :( The driving force for this exponential growth both in my county and the state is smallish group gatherings...although one Halloween party had 100 guests!
Jackson County Public Health Reports 123 New COVID-19 Cases - NOV 12

From the link below:

Oregon smashed another coronavirus record with 1,122 cases reported Thursday, marking the first time the state topped 1,000 in a single day and underscoring the runaway spread that is starting to stretch hospitals.

The new record pushed Oregon’s daily case average to 863 over the past week, double the volume from late October. Active hospitalizations also reached a new high, 303, the first time Oregon surpassed 300.

Thursday’s massive case count was driven by new highs in Multnomah, Washington and Jackson counties. The state also reported four more fatalities, including a 35-year-old.

The record-setting day prompted Gov. Kate Brown late Thursday to call a Friday news conference where she will announce “new measures to address Oregon’s alarming spike in COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations,” according to her office.

Oregon governor to announce 'new measures’ to slow coronavirus as state smashes daily record with 1,122 new cases, 4 deaths

upload_2020-11-13_1-3-9.jpeg

BBM

Tell me about it! :mad: It’s horrible. I really appreciate the rest of the world taking notice. We all care about each other!

OREGON REPORT (just one state out of 50 that’s not as bad as many):

As I said yesterday when reporting on Oregon, I’m terrified, and today Oregon just smashed a record with over 1000 cases in a day for the first time. My county (Jackson—the lone dark purple county in the southwest next to the two bright pink counties near the coast) is helping to lead the charge with it’s all time high of 123 cases and 2 more deaths today (total of 10). :( The driving force for this exponential growth both in my county and the state is smallish group gatherings...although one Halloween party had 100 guests!
Jackson County Public Health Reports 123 New COVID-19 Cases - NOV 12

From the link below:

Oregon smashed another coronavirus record with 1,122 cases reported Thursday, marking the first time the state topped 1,000 in a single day and underscoring the runaway spread that is starting to stretch hospitals.

The new record pushed Oregon’s daily case average to 863 over the past week, double the volume from late October. Active hospitalizations also reached a new high, 303, the first time Oregon surpassed 300.

Thursday’s massive case count was driven by new highs in Multnomah, Washington and Jackson counties. The state also reported four more fatalities, including a 35-year-old.

The record-setting day prompted Gov. Kate Brown late Thursday to call a Friday news conference where she will announce “new measures to address Oregon’s alarming spike in COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations,” according to her office.

Oregon governor to announce 'new measures’ to slow coronavirus as state smashes daily record with 1,122 new cases, 4 deaths

View attachment 271629

I am so, so sorry to hear of the bad shape of your county. :(
I know you will be doing all you can to stay safe.

I was on FB today and saw a post from western NY saying how 'it shouldn't be allowed' that people should have to stay apart for Thanksgiving. And I wondered what kind of alternate reality that (highly educated) person lives in. They are a professor/councellor at a community college.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

The delivery people in these parts don't have contact with the person receiving the pkgs. Pizzas, groceries, Amazon boxes all are left outside the door and signatures are not required. The receiver is phoned when the item is left.

Last edited by a moderator:
With North Dakota hospitals at 100% capacity, Burgum announces COVID-positive nurses can stay at work | Grand Forks Herald

Sure. The insanity continues. Why stop at nurses? Covid positive teachers should just keep working too. Grocery store workers, Walmart employees. Just go to work.

Seriously?!

I expect that Covid positive medical workers are encased in PPE, have clean up protocols, are put to work doing tasks that don't involve contact with others, and stay off of public transportation. But yeah, it speaks to the desperate times we are in.

The delivery people in these parts don't have contact with the person receiving the pkgs. Pizzas, groceries, Amazon boxes all are left outside the door and signatures are not required. The receiver is phoned when the item is left.

Us, too. (Except they text us.) And we pay for everything online, no handing over cash.
We don't sign for parcels in the post office any more either. They sign for us on their device, when we pick up our packages.

Seriously?!

I heard a report about this on the radio- defies the whole idea of quarantining until you are cleared. The plan was COVID positive nurses taking care of COVID patients, but I am not sure that they do not all suffer worse outcomes if their cases worsen without rest and treatment. Remember the medical personnel who died in the Wuhan hospital when this started? It seems that every country and every town and work place makes the same mistakes in this pandemic- as if no one learns anything from the prior experiences of others.

I can understand SOME essential businesses but take away? Pizza delivery? Grocery delivery? Isn’t that agreeing things should be locked down but not wanting to be inconvenienced? Does anyone NEED pizza? Or take away? Aside from people people with health issues, or very senior do people NEED groceries delivered.
How many folks just right here HAVENT visited family, spent time with friends, or gone to church?
My point is if we are going to do a large scale lockdown I hope people are willing to give up some things. The lockdown MUST apply to everyone.

I agree no one NEEDS pizza but you might be surprised at how many young people don't have a clue how to make food. Some older people, too.

Since grocery stores seem to be hot spots, maybe it's safer to just order take out or delivery.

I just wanted to bring this post from dixiegirl to this thread. I am really grateful for you studying this in more depth for us. I am sure we will continue to have questions as we go along..... so just want to say thanks for your "heavy lifting".

I scanned the Pfizer study protocol looking for answers to questions that I had and placing notes in one post here

https://pfe-pfizercom-d8-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/2020-11/C4591001_Clinical_Protocol_Nov2020.pdf

pg 19 - Indeed it does appear that collection of nasal swabs for the virus is ONLY done during the two vaccinations and if someone has potential infection through self monitored symptoms.

pg 34 - It does appear that they are going to note the differences between the control group and the vaccine group by differentiating incidence of infections (symptomatic by definition) AND severe infections.

pg 35 - States one objective is "to describe the serological responses to the ENT vaccine candidate in cases of 1) Confirmed COVID-19 2) Confirmed severe COVID-19 3) SARS-CoV 2 infection without confirmed COVID-19 . QUESTION for anyone... how can they have #3 - I don't see anywhere in that study how that group is defined.

pg 83 - Defines the times for collection of blood for immunogenicity. (testing S1-binding IgG levels and/or RBD-binding IgG levels; SARS-CoV-2 neutralizing titers) at vaccinations, 7, 14 days after, 1, 6, 12 and 24 months after second vaccinations.

pg 103 -109: Overviews how they are going to evaluate over time the titers/concentrations for secondary immunogenicity for each group.

pg 123 - Overviews the normal blood chemistries as part of the group (sorry Dr. Campbell, no vitamin D in the study)

Pg 138 - Abbreviations

I look forward to the interim study results when released by the company. Does anyone know when they said they would do such?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie