Found Deceased CA - Naya Rivera, "Glee Actress", missing from boat with son, 4, (fnd alive), Lake Piru, 9 July 2020

I'm not going there with the exploitation thinking. I think the family is absolutely broken hearted.
This is a loving family and now this little boy is without his mother and he watched it happen.
It sounds like there was some negligence regarding safety measures on that boat.
Quite frankly I may very well sue too, under the same circumstances.

I'm not going there with the exploitation thinking. I think the family is absolutely broken hearted.
This is a loving family and now this little boy is without his mother and he watched it happen.
It sounds like there was some negligence regarding safety measures on that boat.
It doesn’t mean that they don’t love her and the baby. But it is kind of exploitive in my opinion. What do they get from it besides money? I don’t care if they sue or not, but I don’t think that much could’ve helped her, we don’t know how far she was from the boat, etc. I’m in no way shaming or blaming her, but she could’ve and should’ve worn her life vest. That would’ve helped her. I think everyone can look back and say “oh yeah that one time I did that stupid thing I could’ve actually died”, I certainly can think of way too many instances in my life when things could’ve very well ended badly. It’s just a really sad case, that poor boy lost his mommy and they seemed super close.

It doesn’t mean that they don’t love her and the baby. But it is kind of exploitive in my opinion. What do they get from it besides money? I don’t care if they sue or not, but I don’t think that much could’ve helped her, we don’t know how far she was from the boat, etc. I’m in no way shaming or blaming her, but she could’ve and should’ve worn her life vest. That would’ve helped her. I think everyone can look back and say “oh yeah that one time I did that stupid thing I could’ve actually died”, I certainly can think of way too many instances in my life when things could’ve very well ended badly. It’s just a really sad case, that poor boy lost his mommy and they seemed super close.
It puts the blame on someone else for Josey's sake imo. This will help him. Trust me.

It puts the blame on someone else for Josey's sake imo. This will help him. Trust me.
It wasn’t her fault, accidents happen. It obviously wasn’t his fault either. If anyone is putting any blame on her, then that’s straight up insane. She managed to keep her baby safe by putting him on the boat, it’s seriously a miracle that he stayed on the boat until they found him.
Is he not going to get asked more questions if this goes forward? Can they just say “what he said is already documented and he’s not going to talk anymore”? I kind of doubt it.

I think if a rope was tied off in the boat it could have saved her life had Josey been able to throw it out to her. He was frantically looking for a rope to throw to his mommy. But alas, there was no rope. There were no life saving devices on that boat that I've heard of. That is negligence.
Now we have a drowning.
Now we have her little boy having to live with these memories and horror for the rest of his life.
Such a tragedy.
He's lucky he lived that fateful day imo.
All moo
No ladder is a serious safety issue IMO and a rope with a life preserver was not on the boat ?
There is basis in that alone - they should settle
JMO

You'd sue the County where the lake was located, because they have a lake? The Water District that built the dam? Because that's what they're doing.

I can see suing the boat rental place. But wilderness places are "at own risk."

If the family prevails, look for all recreational lakes in California to close to recreational use (as many have wanted to do anyway, the various water districts make nothing off of the recreational use and only get the pain and worry of dealing with people getting lost in and around the lakes).

If the boat rental place didn't insist that there be individual flotation devices on board, I think that's negligent. However, it seems really a stretch to hold the boat rental place responsible for whether or not the participants used the flotation devices. And I doubt that a jury in Ventura County would do so (a rather conservative county - I grew up there).

Lake Piru is responsible for 12 drownings since 1994, it seems. My mom and dad regarded people who went into that particular lake (to swim) as imprudent, but I had an uncle who boated there all the time. It's unusual for someone to drown while boating. I'm guessing poor Naya did not realize how hard it is to get back into a boat in the middle of that deep lake (where there are is also considerable muck on the bottom and very low visibility - most of the drownings happen just off shore, sometimes while wading).

//Due to harsh conditions such as debris, low visibility, different currents, whirlpools, strong winds, and cold water temperatures, a number of fatalities related to drowning have occurred at Lake Piru// (from Wikipedia).

I think the County will certainly close it if this lawsuit is successful (against the Water Conservation District, which will be bankrupted by this lawsuit and at a time when the County is very much struggling with water issues).

Update: I just read that Lake Piru is now closed to swimming. Boating, jet skis only, no getting out of the boat. Water temp at 10 feet under the surface in July was probably around 60-65, perhaps cooler, as the area did not have a hot summer.

At any rate, if counties are now going to be held responsible for rental agencies following rules about safety, that's going to take a lot of personnel to patrol and cite and eventually shut down. I suspect most counties will simply ban boat and waterski rentals. What a world we live in. Don't get me wrong: this particular concession should be shut down (but they aren't being sued directly, as I understand it, because...they have no assets; deep pocket theory at work here).

In future, only people who own boats will be able to use lakes, harbors and oceans. IMO.

No ladder is a serious safety issue IMO and a rope with a life preserver was not on the boat ?
There is basis in that alone - they should settle
JMO

The "they" in this case is the County of Ventura. If they settle, they will accept responsibility for monitoring and enforcing safety-in-general regulations at every outdoor recreation spot within the County (and other counties will be watching). I suspect they will settle for an undisclosed amount, but without admitting any wrongdoing on the part of the County.

The lake was made and owned by a particular subagency of the County (the Water Conservation District which provides non-California, non-Los Angeles based water to about 400,000 people - mostly not rich - and it will be they who end up paying for this lawsuit).

The wind was 21 mph on the day Naya went out. The boat people obviously could not care less about anyone's safety - it is they who should pay (but that won't happen). The lawsuit does target the (resource-less) boat concession, but also the County and the Water Conservation District. I predict the County will resist settlement but that the Water Conservation District, overseen by the County, will pay out something by virtue of having built a dam that created an attractive nuisance - but I also predict that boating on all lakes in the County will end. And I wouldn't be surprised if SLO, SB and LA Counties follow suit.

//Dorsey's lawsuit, according to the Los Angeles Times, claims that "the United Water Conservation District, which operates the lake, as well as Ventura County and the boat rental company" failed to sufficiently warn visitors about the risks of swimming in Lake Piru.//

The Conservation District will likely admit it should have put up signs (or more signs, I think there's one sign).

I would sue so my child didn't bear the burden of guilt. Trust me. It's of upmost importance.

The "they" in this case is the County of Ventura. If they settle, they will accept responsibility for monitoring and enforcing safety-in-general regulations at every outdoor recreation spot within the County (and other counties will be watching). I suspect they will settle for an undisclosed amount, but without admitting any wrongdoing on the part of the County.

The lake was made and owned by a particular subagency of the County (the Water Conservation District which provides non-California, non-Los Angeles based water to about 400,000 people - mostly not rich - and it will be they who end up paying for this lawsuit).

The wind was 21 mph on the day Naya went out. The boat people obviously could not care less about anyone's safety - it is they who should pay (but that won't happen). The lawsuit does target the (resource-less) boat concession, but also the County and the Water Conservation District. I predict the County will resist settlement but that the Water Conservation District, overseen by the County, will pay out something by virtue of having built a dam that created an attractive nuisance - but I also predict that boating on all lakes in the County will end. And I wouldn't be surprised if SLO, SB and LA Counties follow suit.

//Dorsey's lawsuit, according to the Los Angeles Times, claims that "the United Water Conservation District, which operates the lake, as well as Ventura County and the boat rental company" failed to sufficiently warn visitors about the risks of swimming in Lake Piru.//

The Conservation District will likely admit it should have put up signs (or more signs, I think there's one sign).
The thing is the County allowed a Private business to rent boats - it’s their property and they have an obligation IMO to make sure that Any private business they allowed To operate in their property has basic safety protocol in place. I worked for government and we had a fund specifically to settle lawsuits when we were at fault on our government owned property that we allowed private business to operate. We settled when it was clear we were at fault and our attorney employees advised we could lose millions- settling worked for us almost all the time. I believe all the parties bear some blame in this sad case but that’s just my own opinion

Hmmm. I don’t know about this lawsuit. It didn’t say there wasn’t rope or a ladder. It said “easily accessible ladder” and “adequate rope.” That sounds like there was indeed a rope and a ladder. Was that just how the article worded it or the lawsuit itself? That would matter. Also if the rental company put a life jacket on the boat and she chose not to wear it I think that would make the allegations of negligence on the rental company’s part baseless. I’m not so sure the son is old enough to know to search for a rope in an emergency like that. And it was reported at the time she boosted her son back on the boat but now the suit says he got back on by himself.

I really don’t know because the details matter for whether the lawsuit has any merit or not, and it seems like the details have changed or at least how they’ve been reported have. I hope the little boy’s recollection hasn’t been nudged in a different direction for lawsuit purposes.

If the rental company’s negligence did contribute to her death, then I’m all for it, but if it’s not a sure win (I don’t think it seems that way) it could harm her little boy more than help him. JMO

Agreed, I read multiple sources on MSM and Ventura County ME, stating how Naya must have used all the strength she could muster to save her boy by boosting him up on the boat. Now the story has completely changed. This article also discusses her vertigo problem.

Naya Rivera and Son Counted '1,2,3' and Jumped in Lake Together Before She Yelled 'Help' and Drowned

Adderall for anxiety? Plus phentermine and caffeine.
Vertigo from sinus infection?

I understand what you're saying. Based upon both personal and professional experience I cannot think of an instance where Adderall would ever be prescribed for anxiety. All three of the drugs mentioned are stimulants, and would exacerbate, and even cause anxiety.

Some people have comorbid conditions. For example, someone I am close with has both anxiety and ADHD. they take adderall as well as a daily SSRI. the right combination of medication can be different for everyone
I understand what you're saying. Based upon both personal and professional experience I cannot think of an instance where Adderall would ever be prescribed for anxiety. All three of the drugs mentioned are stimulants, and would exacerbate, and even cause anxiety.

Naya Rivera's ex-husband and estate file wrongful-death suit on behalf of the actress' son - CNN
snipped
When Rivera and Josey went out on Lake Piru, the suit alleges wind gusts were 21 mph in the area that afternoon and pushed the boat away from them.
"Josey, who was closer, managed to get back on the boat on his own volition and braced himself on the boat, which was rocking back and forth forcefully in the current and wind. Josey knew Naya was still in the water, and heard her cry, 'Help! Help!' in her struggle to get back to the boat and avoid drowning," the lawsuit reads.
"Josey searched in vain for rope to help his mother get back on the boat. Josey then looked back at the water for his mother, and saw that Naya had disappeared. Josey yelled for help and cried alone in the boat until he was found more than an hour later," according to the claim.

'Glee' star Naya Rivera is laid to rest in a Hollywood Hills cemetery

The suit alleges the pontoon Rivera rented from Parks Management Company did not have a safely accessible ladder, adequate rope, anchor, radio, or security mechanisms to prevent swimmers from being separated from the watercraft, according to court documents obtained by CNN.
There were no flotation or lifesaving devices aboard the boat, which would be a violation of California law...
--
more at link-
the details are so terrible IMO - poor little guy

awh :( i just knew that poor baby cried himself to sleep :*(

Some people have comorbid conditions. For example, someone I am close with has both anxiety and ADHD. they take adderall as well as a daily SSRI. the right combination of medication can be different for everyone

You're not wrong. But the Adderall is for the ADHD and the SSRI is for the anxiety. Adderall would never be prescribed specifically and only for anxiety. Adderall is approved by the FDA to treat only ADHD and narcolepsy.

Adderall and Adderall XR (amphetamines) Information

Edited for bad link

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth