IN - Couple charged with abandonment of adopted child after legally changing her age, Sept 2019 #2 *not guilty*

I'm not buying that it would have been that hard for the state to demonstrate she was under age. They were being lazy. She had an extensive paper trail they could have followed.
I agree! Lazy, at a minimum. Perhaps a mix of ableism and ethnocentrism, too. Also the difficulty they would have finding a placement.

I forgot Westfield was in Hamilton county. So they lived in Hamilton county but got her age changed in Marion county and then ditched her in Tippecanoe county.
Makes it convenient to dodge statute of limitations,when you flee,and can't be found,can't be found,can't be served,or charged. Especially if you flee out if the country,T who's extradition policies made it hard for the long arm of the law. These people so ughhhhh. I hate it when I have to sit on my hands.
MOO

Makes it convenient to dodge statute of limitations,when you flee,and can't be found,can't be found,can't be served,or charged. Especially if you flee out if the country,T who's extradition policies made it hard for the long arm of the law. These people so ughhhhh. I hate it when I have to sit on my hands.
MOO

The child is finally safe & loved. The wheels of justice grind slowly & are now grinding in her favor!

JMHO YMMV

I forgot Westfield was in Hamilton county. So they lived in Hamilton county but got her age changed in Marion county and then ditched her in Tippecanoe county.

wait, what?? I totally missed that! So the Barnett's lived in Hamilton County in 2012 when they petitioned Marion County to change her age then dumped her in Tippecanoe County in 2013??? I need to get a map of Indiana so I can see how close each of these counties are to one another then search property records to see where they were all living from the time they adopted N in 2010 until they moved to Canada in 2013.

Why did the Barnett's petition Marion County to change her age instead of filing it in their residential county? Was N a resident of Marion County at that point? In one of the hospitals? Or is this more fraud on the Barnett's part to confuse anyone in the age change case who might be investigating their bogus claims that she was an adult? Gah, down the rabbit hole I go because this is going to bug me.

Marion County (Indianapolis) is directly south of Hamilton (Westfield) County. Hamilton is a gigantic suburb. Tippecanoe (Lafayette) is about an hour north and west via I 65. It is the home of Purdue University. Finally, Hamilton and Tippecanoe are similarly about an hour apart- no real direct route of any consequence.

Motion to dismiss charges in adoption age scam | wthr.com

Court dismisses some neglect charges in Barnett case

Now that her age is legally above that of a minor, related charges of neglect may be dismissed.

The charges that rest on Natalia being a dependent because of her physical disability, however, still stand.

Uuuhhmm, does anyone get the impression that possibly perhaps the State is trying to protect itself here??? Hypothetically?

Natalia, hope you've enjoyed Summer & are in for a great Fall!

JMHO YMMV LRR

Prosecutors prepared to call Natalia Barnett's birth mother to prove Ukrainian orphan's age in neglect case

Prosecutors are prepared to prove to jurors that Natalia was born in 2003, Starbuck said.

Prosecutors tracked down Natalia's birth mother, Anna Gava, in Ukraine, which was confirmed through a DNA test, Starbuck said during Wednesday's hearing.

Gava and Ukrainian records indicated Gava gave birth to a girl with severe dwarfism on Sept. 4, 2003, and Gava, who already was a single mother, put Natalia up for adoption on Sept. 5, 2003, Starbuck said in court.

Meyer's Aug. 14 ruling is that Tippecanoe Superior Court cannot alter another state superior court, so Natalia's age is a settled matter in the courts. Meyer's ruling also noted that the same court affirmed Natalia's 1989 birthday after a 2017 hearing.

This is good news!!!

If, however, the higher court rules that the jury should determine Natalia's real age, which might have been manipulated by the Barnetts, the neglect charges go forward.

Prosecutors also contend that the Barnetts concealed their crime, so it's not too late for prosecutors to charge the Barnetts for offenses that might have happened after the statute of limitations expired.

Hope dear N & her new-found family are enjoying the end of summer & gearing up for fall!

(I want to include a piccie of this teenager, but out of respect for her & her privacy will not!)

JMHO YMMV LRR

If no news is good news....

Natalia, hope you & your fam are prepping for a
images

jmho ymmv lrr

Motion to dismiss charges in adoption age scam | wthr.com

Court dismisses some neglect charges in Barnett case

Now that her age is legally above that of a minor, related charges of neglect may be dismissed.

The charges that rest on Natalia being a dependent because of her physical disability, however, still stand.

Uuuhhmm, does anyone get the impression that possibly perhaps the State is trying to protect itself here??? Hypothetically?

Natalia, hope you've enjoyed Summer & are in for a great Fall!

JMHO YMMV LRR

Can those charges be reinstated if the court was to find that she was a minor when those incidents happened? It does sound like a legal technicality.

I've not been continuing to follow this case since the Covid happened, and I have been wondering what's been going on with it.

This is good news!!!

If, however, the higher court rules that the jury should determine Natalia's real age, which might have been manipulated by the Barnetts, the neglect charges go forward.

Prosecutors also contend that the Barnetts concealed their crime, so it's not too late for prosecutors to charge the Barnetts for offenses that might have happened after the statute of limitations expired.

Hope dear N & her new-found family are enjoying the end of summer & gearing up for fall!

(I want to include a piccie of this teenager, but out of respect for her & her privacy will not!)

JMHO YMMV LRR

Oh that sounds more hopeful!

Would this gentle young lady be a senior this year, graduating from high school?

If, of course, she hadn't been cheated out of her high school experience by those...well I'll just stop there.

Natalia, hope you're enjoying Spring in Indiana!

Apparently charges were dismissed, the court says that no one bothered to appeal the age-change so the child neglect cannot have happened:

Neglect charges based on Natalia Grace Barnett's age dismissed against mom accused of abandoning her in Lafayette

There is a more recent article, behind a paywall.

Still haven't seen any explanation of how a court changed Natalia's age -- without legal representation.

SMH

Natalia, hope the air conditioning works well, Autumn is on the way!
SMH. That's because she didn't have anyone in her corner to fight for her. She didn't have any way to do it for herself either.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romeo20
Back