Australia Australia - Elizabeth 'Beth' Barnard, 23, Phillip Island, VIC, 22 Sep 1986

Just listening to the Thursday 30th January 2020 episode of Nightlife on the ABC

One segment was an interview with Vicki Petrakis who revisits this case in her new book, Inside The Law, 25 Years of True Crime Writing.

Nightlife episodes are on the website for about a week after they air.

The interview is at the 1:15:40 mark

Nightlife featuring Motortorque with Toby Hagon

Tootsie - Thank you so much. You are amazing.

Just finished the podcast. I think Vikki Petraitis has done an amazing job.

SPOILER There was some information I hadnt heard before about Vivienne possibly staying the night at the community center where she worked. This would potentially explain why she wasnt home when Robyn Dixon rang about the boys. The police absolute refusal to consider the phone call recieved by Glenda Frost is remarkable particularly as the call was witnessed by a third person and the name given to Vivienne during the call was written down in the communication book she used at the community centre (seemingly also collaborating the idea she was there Tuesday morning).

I always feel outraged by this case. Viviennes memorial service was held just 3 weeks after her disappearance. The forensics hadnt even been completed at that stage. Her inquest was rushed through and Vivienne had no representation. Her poor sister.

I'm convinced Vivienne is a second victim and not Beth's murderer.

your not alone intrigued.:(
This case infuriates me.
I am about 3/4 through the podcast. To be honest its such a muddled jumbled mess not from Vikkis research just the bungled investigation.
It feels like LE are asked a question and they waffle down into enormous piles of doodoo.

At the end of the day it is still.....well....Fergus said so.......so........that's it then.:mad:

Fergus is a very very very clever man.
His words alone are telling that he knows all the right things to say to keep his arse out of jail.

So what if viv's dna is there. The actual places of it IMO are exactly the places if I was gunna set someone up for.
A convenient packet of my cigerettes.....(I mean...come on now:confused:)
And my jumper rubbed around the place here and there.
job done.

Two parts sell Fergus's guilt for me and that's him rocking up to the hospital with gashes.
How ironic ?????:eek:
Beth was gashed to death!
what an amazing coincidence!! that very night!!! okie dokie
How many murderer's get away without slashing themselves????
NEVER

Second part....Fergus sending his relative round to "check" on beth and tell her Vivs out to get her.
Why in the world didn't he do this himself??
kinda huge don't ya's think?
He set his relative up to find her and get the inevitable show on the road.

My personal theory about what happened....
Fergus went round there for his usual free sex on the way home and Beth decided to end it with him. Finally seeing the light.
He killed her heat of the moment in a terrible emotional fight.
Then he went home and took it out on viv, it's her fault that she is his wife and Beth walked away from him.
Must have been a bit of on off rage/ make up all night because at one point viv took him to the hospital for his injuries and he blamed Viv for it.
By day break he had killed her and disposed of her body on the property somewhere.

It is also my opinion Viv wouldn't be very hard to find.
And that peeves me off immensely.

moo

I've been talking about the podcast non-stop all week and one of my work friends listened to it having never heard of the case before. She had a really interesting theory which I havent ever considered and I wondered what others thought.

What if Beth's affair was with Vivienne and not Fergus? Theres no evidence to suggest this - but it is hard to tell fact from planted/staged with this case and it would help to explain a couple of things.

Firstly the secrecy around the affair (on Beth's side) and Beths tendency in keeping young men who were interested in her at a distance (telling one she was saving herself for marriage). I dont know what the Philip Island community was like at that time but during the 80's many same-sex attracted people were fearful of living openly and masked.

The violence and disfigurement inflicted on Beth and why Vivienne was also murdered.

Why Vivienne stayed at the community centre and didnt reach out to family/friends for assistance.

Why family members were committed to aiding the murder and cover up of women they knew and cared for.

It is also my opinion Viv wouldn't be very hard to find.
And that peeves me off immensely.

Couldnt agree more k-mac! The dehumanising of Vivienne is sickening. No one is looking for her - but there is a warrant out for her arrest

I've been talking about the podcast non-stop all week and one of my work friends listened to it having never heard of the case before. She had a really interesting theory which I havent ever considered and I wondered what others thought.

What if Beth's affair was with Vivienne and not Fergus? Theres no evidence to suggest this - but it is hard to tell fact from planted/staged with this case and it would help to explain a couple of things.

Firstly the secrecy around the affair (on Beth's side) and Beths tendency in keeping young men who were interested in her at a distance (telling one she was saving herself for marriage). I dont know what the Philip Island community was like at that time but during the 80's many same-sex attracted people were fearful of living openly and masked.

The violence and disfigurement inflicted on Beth and why Vivienne was also murdered.

Why Vivienne stayed at the community centre and didnt reach out to family/friends for assistance.

Why family members were committed to aiding the murder and cover up of women they knew and cared for.
I don't think so just IMO
Viv seemed very committed to her marriage and her family with the community supporting her character and integrity.

Beth had told her friend that wanted to date her ( the one she said she was saving herself for marriage) eventually that she was in a relationship with Fergus.
I believe that Fergus and Beth were in love and she finally was breaking away from his clutches realising that he was never going to leave Vivienne and part with his money.
Why would he?
He was enjoying having his cake and eating it too.
Rubbing Viv's nose in it was just a bonus and exposing what a true disgusting egotistical chauvinistic pig he really is.

moo

Spoiler ahead for those who haven't listened to Vikki Petraitis' podcast:

It seems nearly impossible that Beth would have semen on her external parts TWO WHOLE DAYS after Fergus said they last had intercourse. The semen was proven to be Fergus'. I think he killed her either after luring her into consensual sex, or even sexually assaulting her.

Tue 5 December 2023--from Vikki Petraitis Instagram account, vikkipetraitis:
With a renewed focus on the Phillip Island murder of Beth Barnard and the vanishing of Vivienne Cameron, we are currently looking at how best to act on several pieces of new information that have come forward. This is why we have kept this case in the spotlight for all these years - we truly believed that someone out there held the key. Turns out, there were several. Stay tuned.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back