Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #50

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe the one thing she declined was taking polygraph.
If that's all it was, it doesn't bother me in the least.
Especially since she's not a suspect either formally named or the target of the investigation.
Especially because she had no problem saying she declined it.
I know a lot of people with some pretty strong convictions against such things like a test that yields inconclusive results, and isn't even admissable in court.

It's the ones who lie and say they took one, when they didn't, or the ones who lie and say they were never asked, when they were... those are the kind of things that draw my attention.

jmo

Police don’t interview people five times who cooperate and if they think they are telling the whole story and the truth.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have difficulties separating the opinions of wishful thinkers from those that know how these things play out.

In your opinion, does LE have in its possession at this moment in time, enough evidence to convict the killer?
Probably, but that doesn’t mean the DA agrees. There’s just no way to pull a crime like this off successfully, especially with the scenario he chose.

Cameras, phone data, GPS, witnesses; there’s countless things he had to overcome

Even with no physical evidence, I don’t believe it will be difficult for a jury to put the pieces together. I’m hopeful they have something, but there’s no telling if that’s the case. If they don’t have it, then time becomes their friend.

I still want to know how law enforcement knew so quickly what it was they were dealing with, and what specifically tipped them off. BM must have really screwed up.

What’s huge, is how this was handled by the sheriff’s department. In far too many cases, I’ve seen small law enforcement agencies try to go it alone, or reach out to the big guns far too late. That didn’t happen here, and it looks like they did this the right way.

They’ll get there, and it can’t hurt to have a new DA with experience.

When does Andy think she disappeared? tysm

“I think that she was abducted. I don’t think she ever got on her bike. I think she probably died Saturday and she was hidden somewhere Saturday night and we’re pushing forward and that’s the theories that we have right now that seem to be correct,” shared Moorman.

‘I’m afraid this is domestic abuse’; Suzanne Morhpew’s brother says husband not participating in search, carrying shotgun to keep people off property | FOX31 Denver

So between now and his inevitable arrest, new evidence will be discovered that will make all the difference?

YES, I absolutely think they need more than they have at this point or charges would have already been filed. I also think they have evidence right now that proves he’s guilty. It just may not be enough to prove the case. Obviously, I’m not LE, I’m not the DA so this is completely my opinion.

Last edited:
Just playing around with the timeline.
-Late at night a neighbor heard loud noises at the jobsite. My guess is that a crime was committed on Saturday evening and between then and 4am BM was busy covering up the crime and hiding evidence, at the house, the jobsite where the machinery was heard and possibly at other locations.... (If SM was not buried at the site).
I suspect that somewhere along the time -line BM picks MG up for an urgent job he needs help with.
At 4am BM drives to MG house (why? I am not buying he drove there just to call her from outside the house), in my best guess he drops MG off and he drives home.
He drives home, claims to leaves SM sleeping and leaves home at 5am
MG assembles a crew for the Broomfield project, (perhaps helping with an alibis?).

On Sunday BM asks her to drive to the jobsite where the neighbor heard loud sounds from to rake it out (smooth over the tracks?).

At 5am BM drives to the Holiday Inn, checks in when he can takes a shower.
On Sunday he tells his crew he has a family emergency and drives home.

My theory is between Saturday evening when the crime happened and 4am when he drove to MG House (to call her from outside her gate) he was very busy cleaning up and hiding evidence.
I think BM took advantage of MG and that she may have agreed to help him on this urgent job without knowing what she was getting into. I think she is scared to tell everything she knows, and that she was paid hush money which scares her even more.

That paycheck that was delivered in dramatic fashion with the jokes about hush money, that story does not sit well with me.
LE interviewing her five times, several red flags.
MG claiming she ‘mostly cooperated’, that sounds like that she has something to hide.

Last edited:
Absolutely, isn’t that what they’re hired to do? Even with a body, BM has had plenty of time to perfect his narrative to explain away any and all evidence. That’s why I respect the fact that LE hasn’t jumped the gun on pressing charges. Even though they know he’s responsible. IMO

It's not clear that BM knows what all the evidence is. He may have a good idea of who knows what, but there's always plenty of room for surprise. I doubt BM understands DNA very well, for example. Or truck GPS modules. There could be quite a list of technical minutiae that supports various witness statements and videos. He doesn't know what LE knows in its entirety. I suspect LE has talked to dozens and dozens of people, and that BM has no clue what the content of those conversations might be.

And he won't, until he's arrested. He has offered several different narratives so far, because he's trying to cover all bases (not a good strategy, IMO). But if he is arrested, he will then acquire a lawyer and that lawyer will have his/her hands full trying to construct the defense.

I can't imagine that said lawyer would ever allow BM to take the stand or to undergo further questioning from LE. BM will have to "explain himself" via his lawyer, in response to actual charges.

It's not clear that BM knows what all the evidence is. He may have a good idea of who knows what, but there's always plenty of room for surprise. I doubt BM understands DNA very well, for example. Or truck GPS modules. There could be quite a list of technical minutiae that supports various witness statements and videos. He doesn't know what LE knows in its entirety. I suspect LE has talked to dozens and dozens of people, and that BM has no clue what the content of those conversations might be.

And he won't, until he's arrested. He has offered several different narratives so far, because he's trying to cover all bases (not a good strategy, IMO). But if he is arrested, he will then acquire a lawyer and that lawyer will have his/her hands full trying to construct the defense.

I can't imagine that said lawyer would ever allow BM to take the stand or to undergo further questioning from LE. BM will have to "explain himself" via his lawyer, in response to actual charges.
I’m thankful LE hasn’t released any evidence they have found.

I wish he would insist on taking the stand but I don’t expect that to ever happen. That would be another train wreck like watching Jodi Arias. I do see him running the show behind the scenes through his attorneys though.

If BM killed his wife, the end, then why do they want to dig into her social media activity so much, make it a highlight of a press release, then plea for friends to come forward. These are presumed adult friends, who SM loved dearly and 6 + months later (SM is still missing and presumed dead by many) LE has to plea to you in a press release to spill your guts, this was your friend?!

From my birds eye view, I’m pretty angry about that. LE is traveling back to IN several times, is it to plea some more? Enough, start truth talking, like my Grandma use to say.

IMO

If BM killed his wife, the end, then why do they want to dig into her social media activity so much, make it a highlight of a press release, then plea for friends to come forward. These are presumed adult friends, who SM loved dearly and 6 + months later (SM is still missing and presumed dead by many) LE has to plea to you in a press release to spill your guts, this was your friend?!

From my birds eye view, I’m pretty angry about that. LE is traveling back to IN several times, is it to plea some more? Enough, start truth talking, like my Grandma use to say.

IMO
I think we need to remember that LE added to that plea that if anyone is afraid to come forward, because they don’t want to get anyone in trouble, that there was an anonymous tip line they could access and once they knew the situation LE could take measures to address those concerns. (Long sentence, I know! :))

LE know something and they would appreciate someone coming forward. Something else to stuff into the “envelope” before nailing that coward to the wall, and I have no doubt they’re getting there. Who knows, the new DA may look at this case come January and say, “Showtime!!” In the meantime, LE continues to investigate every possible lead they get or find. With the new DA not taking office until the New Year, it is not time to go forward, just yet, IMHO.

IMO
Pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if the reach out re: social media has less to do with direct evidence (timeline, etc.) and more to do with motive. What if LE currently has one or two friends of SMs who are willing to testify she talked to them about DV? Maybe a defense team could erode some of that credibility - so maybe they are looking for one or two more friends she may have confided in? And, if they were somehow connected through a DV group, the fear would make a lot of sense.

I do hope that friends of SM aren't holding back info. I do worry that friends of BM are, though.

JMO, MOO.

I think we need to remember that LE added to that plea that if anyone is afraid to come forward, because they don’t want to get anyone in trouble, that there was an anonymous tip line they could access and once they knew the situation LE could take measures to address those concerns. (Long sentence, I know! :))

LE know something and they would appreciate someone coming forward. Something else to stuff into the “envelope” before nailing that coward to the wall, and I have no doubt they’re getting there. Who knows, the new DA may look at this case come January and say, “Showtime!!” In the meantime, LE continues to investigate every possible lead they get or find. With the new DA not taking office until the New Year, it is not time to go forward, just yet, IMHO.

I appreciate your post, thank you. That’s just it. I think LE has a good idea what the state of their marriage was at this point. I don’t think they need another person to tell them what SM might have shared about her husband & their relationship, etc. Got it, check.

I really don’t think this talk from LE about being in trouble for having certain information is about BM, this is about SM and her specific social media activity (not cell activity & pings).

Before anyone says it, I’m not a fan of BM (Im a fan of Bill Murray) a supporter, whatever. I don’t care about that dude at all. I view him as weak minded and he can pound salt for all I care.

I’ve never been all in over BM, I think he’s the likely suspect but there is just something nagging me about other possibilities here. I don’t think things are as they appear is all. IMO

Years ago I had a job where only two of us worked at a branch office. The other employee was pretty mean and also did a poor job.

I wanted the boss at the home office to be aware of my coworker's poor behavior, but since there were only the two of us at the branch, if I informed the boss it would be obvious that I was the one who reported the coworker, since I was the only one who had seen the poor behavior.

I wonder if this is the kind of "afraid to come forward" situation happening in SM's case -- it's not a matter of whether someone with info gives their name or calls an anonymous tipline, it might be more a matter of them being the only one who would know the information, or there being only one way in which they could possibly have learned the information, so they are outing themselves (or their source) whether they report anonymously or not.

MOO

I wonder if this is the kind of "afraid to come forward" situation happening in SM's case -- it's not a matter of whether someone with info gives their name or calls an anonymous tipline, it might be more a matter of them being the only one who would know the information, or there being only one way in which they could possibly have learned the information, so they are outing themselves (or their source) whether they report anonymously or not.

MOO
Some people may be afraid to come forward for fear of their own dirty laundry being aired, too. That could be another reason that the promise of anonymity is stressed.

Police don’t interview people five times who cooperate and if they think they are telling the whole story and the truth.

In all the cases I've followed over the years, LE will indeed interview the same people multiple times as new leads develop during the course of the investigation.

People they suspect are guilty of being involved & withholding info, people they know for a fact are not involved but may have helpful insight into certain details (and new details as they come up, as they tend to do), and people from all stations in between.

This is LE doing due diligence in any criminal investigation.

jmo

This is totally just a thought process of a "maybe" so bear with me for a moment...

This part isn't relevant to SM but more to lead into my what if...
Back story: My "dad' passed away 4/02/19. For 3 yrs before he died, we didn't have any contact for reasons I can only speculate. He basically only called me when he wanted something. For example, he would call on Christmas morning to tell me the family was getting together that afternoon and he wanted me to be there. He couldn't be bothered to answer his phone or call me in the weeks leading up to Christmas to let me know his plans. He lived over an hour away so it's not like we could drop by for a minute. I have a small child so our time over the holidays are divided up between my family and my husband's family like most people I know. He did this EVERY HOLIDAY! I eventually gave up and started telling he we had plans and wouldn't be able to make it. (It literally broke my heart! I was a daddy's girl growing up.)

Anyways, he was diagnosed with terminal cancer in Jan 2019. He decided that I didn't 'deserve" to know that he was sick because I hadn't talked to him in 3 years (not because I didn't try, he just never answered the phone). So, nobody told me! He made my sisters swear to secrecy. In March 2019, I ran into my cousin and she told me because she felt I needed to know. I didn't call him immediately to talk to him because I needed time to process it all. He died 2 weeks later. We never talked. (I'm at peace with it!) Turns out my dad was extremely good at playing the victim! BUT I would have let bygones be bygones and played family if that's what he would have wanted in his final moments.

Now, with that being said, AM said that SM didn't know about her dad being sick. Maybe she did know? Maybe a family member told her and she was taking a minute to figure out how she wanted to react? If she wasn't close to her family for whatever reason (BM) it could be possible she didn't call them immediately when she found out her dad was sick. Maybe she was mentally preparing to make arrangements to go back home to be with her dad but hadn't spoken to anybody about it yet. Or maybe she was messaging a close friend about it and BM saw her messages and realized that if she left she would stay gone once she was no longer under his influence on a daily basis? Maybe she told BM she wanted to move back to IN and if he didn't want to go then they could divorce and he could stay in CO?

Once again all of this is just a thought process and probably not relevant but it might lend reason to how/why SM could get out without flat out stating she wants a divorce IF in fact she wanted a divorce. Not stating any of this as fact. Just tossing around ideas since we don't have much of anything else. Feel free to "snip" anything inappropriate.

This is totally just a thought process of a "maybe" so bear with me for a moment...

This part isn't relevant to SM but more to lead into my what if...
Back story: My "dad' passed away 4/02/19. For 3 yrs before he died, we didn't have any contact for reasons I can only speculate. He basically only called me when he wanted something. For example, he would call on Christmas morning to tell me the family was getting together that afternoon and he wanted me to be there. He couldn't be bothered to answer his phone or call me in the weeks leading up to Christmas to let me know his plans. He lived over an hour away so it's not like we could drop by for a minute. I have a small child so our time over the holidays are divided up between my family and my husband's family like most people I know. He did this EVERY HOLIDAY! I eventually gave up and started telling he we had plans and wouldn't be able to make it. (It literally broke my heart! I was a daddy's girl growing up.)

Anyways, he was diagnosed with terminal cancer in Jan 2019. He decided that I didn't 'deserve" to know that he was sick because I hadn't talked to him in 3 years (not because I didn't try, he just never answered the phone). So, nobody told me! He made my sisters swear to secrecy. In March 2019, I ran into my cousin and she told me because she felt I needed to know. I didn't call him immediately to talk to him because I needed time to process it all. He died 2 weeks later. We never talked. (I'm at peace with it!) Turns out my dad was extremely good at playing the victim! BUT I would have let bygones be bygones and played family if that's what he would have wanted in his final moments.

Now, with that being said, AM said that SM didn't know about her dad being sick. Maybe she did know? Maybe a family member told her and she was taking a minute to figure out how she wanted to react? If she wasn't close to her family for whatever reason (BM) it could be possible she didn't call them immediately when she found out her dad was sick. Maybe she was mentally preparing to make arrangements to go back home to be with her dad but hadn't spoken to anybody about it yet. Or maybe she was messaging a close friend about it and BM saw her messages and realized that if she left she would stay gone once she was no longer under his influence on a daily basis? Maybe she told BM she wanted to move back to IN and if he didn't want to go then they could divorce and he could stay in CO?

Once again all of this is just a thought process and probably not relevant but it might lend reason to how/why SM could get out without flat out stating she wants a divorce IF in fact she wanted a divorce. Not stating any of this as fact. Just tossing around ideas since we don't have much of anything else. Feel free to "snip" anything inappropriate.

My condolence on the passing of your dad @ hpruitt.

GM was elderly and had other health problems when he was diagnosed with cancer.

My understanding from AM's comments was that GM's cancer diagnosis coincided with the timing of SM's disappearance and not that anybody was withholding information from SM.

Nonetheless, I agree that SM most likely wanted to spend more time with her dad just because of his advanced age and poor health.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong