Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #50

Status
Not open for further replies.
<modsnip>
In the context of our Suzanne, imagine if someone were to piece even just the last week's worth of online maneuvering to determine who we are... yikes, some of the things we research. From body farms to dating sites to dissolving bodies to Bobcat attachments. God help us if we're ever called in to explain.

I'm reminded of Kelsey Berreth's sweet online history. Recipes, quotes, pretty things. Suzanne, the same.

And to think, it's her online presence that is the only voice she has left. Every little thing becomes clue-worthy, analyzed from every angle.

Then add in activities on her social media, not originating from her.

I pray LE has found her voice in all that.

JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably, but that doesn’t mean the DA agrees. There’s just no way to pull a crime like this off successfully, especially with the scenario he chose.

Cameras, phone data, GPS, witnesses; there’s countless things he had to overcome

Even with no physical evidence, I don’t believe it will be difficult for a jury to put the pieces together. I’m hopeful they have something, but there’s no telling if that’s the case. If they don’t have it, then time becomes their friend.

I still want to know how law enforcement knew so quickly what it was they were dealing with, and what specifically tipped them off. BM must have really screwed up.

What’s huge, is how this was handled by the sheriff’s department. In far too many cases, I’ve seen small law enforcement agencies try to go it alone, or reach out to the big guns far too late. That didn’t happen here, and it looks like they did this the right way.

They’ll get there, and it can’t hurt to have a new DA with experience.
If what AM reported is true about there also being a bleach smell at the home I’m guessing LE knew right then and there they were looking for a body and the home was the actual crime scene leading them to throw out the bike scenario. AM stated she didn’t leave the home. Only thing I can figure how they would know so quickly and discount the bike, mountain lion, and abduction theories.

Side note wonder if he didn’t really do any wrongdoing at the hotel only showered. Maybe the bleach smell was just remnants left over of his clean up job at the house from clothing he was wearing and having it on his person as he headed straight to the hotel after whatever he did at home and wherever else he went during the night. Strong enough to be smelled in a small hotel room.
Husband of missing Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew denies wrongdoing inside cheap hotel | Daily Mail Online

If we limit the potential range of SM's remains to the PP property (theory), there are some things to keep in mind. To move intact remains any distance requires a mechanical device, manual (wheelbarrow or cart) or motorized (ATV, Jeep, etc.) as the weight of a 100+ lb. body precludes schlepping it over the shoulder for any distance. Depositing the body anywhere close the PP property runs a higher risk for discovery, even if well hidden. My theory is that the remains were moved by a mechanical device to a remote area behind the PP property, moved by lifting, carrying or dragging to a final location (off of an ATV trail) and deposited in the ground using tools that are common to a landscaper. Knowledge of hunting and camouflage would be useful in hiding the remains from casual searching, but as the ground settles, visible to LiDar scanning. Moving dismembered remains would be essentially the same, however depositing in multiple locations would do little to change the results if only one site was located by LE. Dismembered remains would be easier to move off the ATV trail, however there is little other advantage from intact remains. I consider moving the remains by vehicle to other remote locations to present a much higher probability of discovery, even a simple traffic stop could expose the actor, or at least place the actor on record at a specific place at a specific time. If the remains were moved any distance away from the PP property, probability is that it was not very far as the greater the distance, the greater the risk. I suspect the hotel was a staged red herring to draw attention away from PP. The only other area I can think could be a grave is the beach. Raking it would eliminate any settling and footprints. It should be completely searched by GPR.

If what AM reported is true about there also being a bleach smell at the home I’m guessing LE knew right then and there they were looking for a body and the home was the actual crime scene leading them to throw out the bike scenario. AM stated she didn’t leave the home. Only thing I can figure how they would know so quickly and discount the bike, mountain lion, and abduction theories.

Side note wonder if he didn’t really do any wrongdoing at the hotel only showered. Maybe the bleach smell was just remnants left over of his clean up job at the house from clothing he was wearing and having it on his person as he headed straight to the hotel after whatever he did at home and wherever else he went during the night. Strong enough to be smelled in a small hotel room.
Husband of missing Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew denies wrongdoing inside cheap hotel | Daily Mail Online

If you add up:

• the distinct odor of bleach in the home (if an accurate report)
• the neighbor calling 911 and not the volunteer firefighter husband
• her bike tossed off the side of the dirt road right near their house
• BM's buddy showing up, belligerent, trying to stop them from doing their job and accusing LE of destroying evidence

And all of that before BM even arrived on the scene that Sunday night, it already looks pretty darned sketchy. Then, it's not too hard of a stretch to imagine BM showing up with the same angry tone of voice we've all heard in interviews, accusing the LE on scene of trampling over evidence (he admitted as much to TD in that infamous "oh no, the camera's off dude, I'm not recording" video) and putting WAY too much focus on that, instead of being sick with worry about his missing wife...

Then I can only imagine, the very first impression the LE on site had of BM, was definitely not a good one. There were already numerous red flags for LE in the very first few hours on Puma Path. All of course, jmo.

LE having to tell BM's buddy "this is not CSI" when he tried to stop them from doing their job Husband of missing Suzanne Morphew says police ‘screwed this whole thing up’ and are now trying to ‘blame it on me’

If we limit the potential range of SM's remains to the PP property (theory), there are some things to keep in mind. To move intact remains any distance requires a mechanical device, manual (wheelbarrow or cart) or motorized (ATV, Jeep, etc.) as the weight of a 100+ lb. body precludes schlepping it over the shoulder for any distance. Depositing the body anywhere close the PP property runs a higher risk for discovery, even if well hidden. My theory is that the remains were moved by a mechanical device to a remote area behind the PP property, moved by lifting, carrying or dragging to a final location (off of an ATV trail) and deposited in the ground using tools that are common to a landscaper. Knowledge of hunting and camouflage would be useful in hiding the remains from casual searching, but as the ground settles, visible to LiDar scanning. Moving dismembered remains would be essentially the same, however depositing in multiple locations would do little to change the results if only one site was located by LE. Dismembered remains would be easier to move off the ATV trail, however there is little other advantage from intact remains. I consider moving the remains by vehicle to other remote locations to present a much higher probability of discovery, even a simple traffic stop could expose the actor, or at least place the actor on record at a specific place at a specific time. If the remains were moved any distance away from the PP property, probability is that it was not very far as the greater the distance, the greater the risk. I suspect the hotel was a staged red herring to draw attention away from PP. The only other area I can think could be a grave is the beach. Raking it would eliminate any settling and footprints. It should be completely searched by GPR.
Very informative post. Thank you. What do you think about possible burial near a river bed? Could a landscaping machine such as a bobcat successfully dig very near the edge of a river (such as the river that runs on and near their PP property)? Just thinking that for a seasoned landscaper it would be very easy to cover an area near the water with rocks on top and the rising and lowering water may quickly hide any evidence of disturbance or digging. Not so sure what would happen with the sinking aspect but like I said seasoned landscapers should know how to deal with things like that.

If we limit the potential range of SM's remains to the PP property (theory), there are some things to keep in mind. To move intact remains any distance requires a mechanical device, manual (wheelbarrow or cart) or motorized (ATV, Jeep, etc.) as the weight of a 100+ lb. body precludes schlepping it over the shoulder for any distance. Depositing the body anywhere close the PP property runs a higher risk for discovery, even if well hidden. My theory is that the remains were moved by a mechanical device to a remote area behind the PP property, moved by lifting, carrying or dragging to a final location (off of an ATV trail) and deposited in the ground using tools that are common to a landscaper. Knowledge of hunting and camouflage would be useful in hiding the remains from casual searching, but as the ground settles, visible to LiDar scanning. Moving dismembered remains would be essentially the same, however depositing in multiple locations would do little to change the results if only one site was located by LE. Dismembered remains would be easier to move to an off the ATV trail, however there is little other advantage from intact remains. I consider moving the remains by vehicle to other remote locations to present a much higher probability of discovery, even a simple traffic stop could expose the actor, or at least place the actor on record at a specific place at a specific time. If the remains were moved any distance away from the PP property, probability is that it was not very far as the greater the distance, the greater the risk. I suspect the hotel was a staged red herring to draw attention away from PP. The only other area I can think could be a grave is the beach. Raking it would eliminate any settling and footprints. It should be completely searched by GPR.
Excellent and informative post, thank you @Trackergd.

I agree traveling a distance with remains by vehicle to other remote locations is extremely risky for the reasons you stated.

In your opinion, as far as moving the remains to a remote area behind PP property whether intact or dismembered (ugh) to an off the ATV trail and/or to a grave at the beach as you describe, be accomplished in approx 31/2-4 hour window?

Considering BM is an experienced Landscaper and had access to various machines/tools, also experienced in navigating rugged terrain, I would think so but I don’t have much experience judging such things.

TIA. :)

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

Last edited:
Your post makes me wonder if some of what they have involves someone who is, currently, just a screen name. I mean, most social media contacts (except FB, but even there) are made-up names. On one of my longterm online forums, we share so much about our lives (anonymously) and have many private conversations - about random stuff, politics, personal stuff, etc. - but with screen names.

I don't think any judge would give permission for LE to poke around in IP addresses of total strangers without probable cause. It's an invasion of privacy. This theory does require that Suzanne and her correspondents basically knew each others' real identities (but I know some of the real identifies of people on the forum I mentioned).

I agree they must have everything she ever wrote on any device available to her. But they must not know the identity of every person to whom she was writing. It would be really frustrating to LE if some of her SM friends were obviously locals and obviously known in real life, but they couldn't match up screen identities with real identities.

I know absolutely nothing about the legalities of such a situation and don't think it has come up before in any case I've followed, so would really appreciate someone who knows about such matters to weigh in. The content of what was written by Suzanne must be fairly important for LE to want this information (what could it be?) but the people they're trying to pinpoint must not have been turned up by their door-to-door canvassing, or are still concealing themselves and their information, despite all previous pleas.
In the case of YingYingZhang, LE obtained all the murderer's private messages and submitted them in evidence, including quite a lengthy convo over several months with a woman who had nothing at all to do with the murder yet attested to his manipulative personality.
And although she was never called as a witness, her identity was not hidden and both sender and receiver messages were submitted in evidence.

My mind went back to TD's comment about seeing BM soaking wet, I can't recall the details, but it was close to the PP home. Any thoughts on an area closer to the house along a creek or the river?

It’s very possible he had bleach all over his clothes. When he got to the hotel, he likely threw his wet clothes on the floor, then showered to try to remove the smell from his body. It’s possible he allowed his wet clothes to remain on the floor until he left. He probably bundled them and threw them away somewhere. If so, I’m sure the smell in the room was extremely strong when his two employees arrived. If that scenario is true, how arrogant of him to think he could get away with it.

In the case of YingYingZhang, LE obtained all the murderer's private messages and submitted them in evidence, including quite a lengthy convo over several months with a woman who had nothing at all to do with the murder yet attested to his manipulative personality.
And although she was never called as a witness, her identity was not hidden and both sender and receiver messages were submitted in evidence.

Yes, I understand that can happen - but it is not optimal for a prosecution. And you're talking about the murderer's messages (the accused murderer's messages, so if you have the BM-did-it theory, BM's messages).

The messages of the victim with non-criminal third parties are a bit different, legally, I think.

If BM is charged, you can bet that his SM will be front and center, but for Suzanne's to be similarly scrutinized is rather a different matter.

Yes, I understand that can happen - but it is not optimal for a prosecution. And you're talking about the murderer's messages (the accused murderer's messages, so if you have the BM-did-it theory, BM's messages).

The messages of the victim with non-criminal third parties are a bit different, legally, I think.

If BM is charged, you can bet that his SM will be front and center, but for Suzanne's to be similarly scrutinized is rather a different matter.
I hear you. Thanks.
BUT if it's a murder investigation, perhaps an exception can be made?
Or even a missing person investigation?

I see your point. Especially about the specific platforms. Did Suzanne have social media friends, perhaps people she did not meet up with in real life? The presser seems aimed at local people (at least, Colorado people).

For some reason, this made me remember Suzanne's LinkedIn profile, which I checked early on. It has been modified since then. By someone. I posted what I found on an early thread, don't have the time to go find it, but I swear the page has changed to take out some personal information.

Was Suzanne establishing some kind of new, separate life for herself? Did someone use her social media right before and after her disappearance, in an unusual way?

This one really is a head scratcher.
^^bbm

Excluding the link, I believe you may be mistaken about LinkedIn. Since I don't have a fb account, LinkedIn is something I also checked very early. I recall multiples of "Susan" Morphew but only one "Suzanne Morphew" which is clearly not the woman that's the subject of this thread.

Currently, there also seem to be a couple of phony accounts for Sunset Farms that reference Suzanne M. (no surname) created after SM disappeared.

MOO

The Morphew house smelled like bleach on Mother’s Day.

If this statement is true, then I would conclude the following

a) the murder was messy
b) the murder was not planned or did not go as planned
c) the killer felt that bleach was necessary in the cleanup, even if it meant creating unnecessary suspicion

JMO

Excuse my forwardness, but would a murder involving someone choked to death, smothered with a pillow or drown in a bathtub be ‘messy’ to the point of requiring a significant amount of bleach for clean up?

I hear you. Thanks.
BUT if it's a murder investigation, perhaps an exception can be made?
Or even a missing person investigation?

An exception to probable cause?

So...if someone I know on the internet is murdered, LE can just come and look at all my messages? I don't think so.

It would have to be a murder investigation and not a missing person investigation because, well, many of us here on WS have had SM contact with families (and potential suspects) in missing persons cases.

LE can't just unwrap your SM messages because someone somewhere has had contact with you online. It takes probably cause and a subpoena. Judges are very picky about this - or else, the Judge would have allowed LE to get whatever it is they are fishing for.

Nope, there has to be probably cause. If the entire content of the messages is mostly unknown (as I think it is in this case or was deleted on one end - Suzanne's - the other person in the conversation has to give consent, volunteer - or be subpoenaed).

Now, having said that, the "exception" can be made once criminal charges are filed. If there's enough evidence to file kidnapping or murder charges, then those who have been in close communication with the defendant will be asked questions and probably asked for access to their social media. If they say no, then a judge will decide.

But in a missing persons case that has no criminal charges filed? IMO, no way. Perhaps one of our lawyers will weigh in. The Constitution is very clear on our rights to unreasonable searches and AFAIK, we can't just have our entire lives turned upside because we are vaguely associated with someone who goes missing.

That's why LE is pleading for something concrete - from whoever it is. Surely, they have someone (or some people) in mind. The thing is, once those charges are filed, the very same people may end up subject to subpoena and if there is any hint of them having withheld useful information, well, that's not good for them, legally. They're being given a chance to do the right thing. To cooperate. To be witnesses friendly to LE/the prosecution.

The fact that they're at this stage is pretty heartening to me, from the point of view justice for Suzanne.

a) the murder was messy
c) the killer felt that bleach was necessary in the cleanup, even if it meant creating unnecessary suspicion

JMO

Excuse my forwardness, but would a murder involving someone choked to death, smothered with a pillow or drown in a bathtub be ‘messy’ to the point of requiring a significant amount of bleach for clean up?
Or Suzanne or whomever cleaned their house used strong cleaning materials on the hard surfaces. Or the refreshed their hot tub and the smell permeated their home. I don’t discount chlorine or bleach smell but on the other hand Covid was rearing it’s ugly head and people were going for strong cleaning products.

a) the murder was messy

JMO

Good comment and questions.

Graphic post warning :

When a person dies, suddenly or otherwise; there is an expulsion of the bowels and bladder.
Not to mention if the was any blood spatter or other fluids (brain matter, etc.,) ; this may have surprised him and he no longer thought in a rational way.
As if murder (if Suzanne was killed as her brother believes she was :( ) wasn't already irrational by itself; he could have panicked and wildly 'cleaned' everything she touched during a struggle.

Of course her dna would be throughout the house. But BM was perhaps thinking, "Oh em gee I gotta get this wiped away or the girls will know and so will anyone else walking into this house...".
Imo.

An exception to probable cause?

So...if someone I know on the internet is murdered, LE can just come and look at all my messages? I don't think so.

It would have to be a murder investigation and not a missing person investigation because, well, many of us here on WS have had SM contact with families (and potential suspects) in missing persons cases.

LE can't just unwrap your SM messages because someone somewhere has had contact with you online. It takes probably cause and a subpoena. Judges are very picky about this - or else, the Judge would have allowed LE to get whatever it is they are fishing for.

Nope, there has to be probably cause. If the entire content of the messages is mostly unknown (as I think it is in this case or was deleted on one end - Suzanne's - the other person in the conversation has to give consent, volunteer - or be subpoenaed).

Now, having said that, the "exception" can be made once criminal charges are filed. If there's enough evidence to file kidnapping or murder charges, then those who have been in close communication with the defendant will be asked questions and probably asked for access to their social media. If they say no, then a judge will decide.

But in a missing persons case that has no criminal charges filed? IMO, no way. Perhaps one of our lawyers will weigh in. The Constitution is very clear on our rights to unreasonable searches and AFAIK, we can't just have our entire lives turned upside because we are vaguely associated with someone who goes missing.

That's why LE is pleading for something concrete - from whoever it is. Surely, they have someone (or some people) in mind. The thing is, once those charges are filed, the very same people may end up subject to subpoena and if there is any hint of them having withheld useful information, well, that's not good for them, legally. They're being given a chance to do the right thing. To cooperate. To be witnesses friendly to LE/the prosecution.

The fact that they're at this stage is pretty heartening to me, from the point of view justice for Suzanne.
Law Enforcement Access to Third Party Records

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members