Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #50

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^bbm

Excluding the link, I believe you may be mistaken about LinkedIn. Since I don't have a fb account, LinkedIn is something I also checked very early. I recall multiples of "Susan" Morphew but only one "Suzanne Morphew" which is clearly not the woman that's the subject of this thread.

Currently, there also seem to be a couple of phony accounts for Sunset Farms that reference Suzanne M. (no surname) created after SM disappeared.

MOO

That "phony" account was accessed by me, according to my own linked-in profile, a little more than one week after Suzanne disappeared.

You could be right - someone could have pretended to be Suzanne, taken down her real account, and created another Suzanne from Salida with similar interests. But it still isn't exactly the same profile that I saw - the interests are the same (angels, etc) but the other information is different.

Maybe she never had a real account and someone impersonated her. I find that unlikely. But if they did, they wanted to portray her as someone interested in life coaching and sports/athletics - which is exactly what I remember seeing on that profile.

Perhaps the real Suzanne had more than one profile (happens all the time, people lose passwords, etc). In which case, someone took down the real Suzanne's profile - also from Salida, also interested in life coaching and exercise, but with a different profile.

I don't see more than one Sunset Farm profile in the sources I've been to on LinkedIn - I only look back at things I've already been too (I've been to a wrong Suzanne Morphew but never a Susan Morphew or a Susan M). I also don't see any other Sunset Farms profiles in CO, but I haven't spent a lot of time searching.

At any rate, there's still a Suzanne M. from Salida and associated with Sunset Farms on LinkedIn. Since you say this was recently created, can you say how you know that? Because I don't see a date of creation for any profiles, even my own.

Yep, and can you point out where anything in the Code says LE can just access records of anyone who has ever been in contact with a crime victim?

The first criteria is, of course, consent. After that, it gets legally tricky. If LE needs to do - why appeal to the public for health if they can just subpoena??? If they could use the Emergency clause (unlikely) they would do it.

They probably do not want to use the Emergency Clause because they are planning to prosecute this as a murder case and they do not think they have a serial killer on their hands.

There has to be a reason why LE isn't going the subpoena route at this point. Keep in mind we're talking about the (redacted) social media messages of people who know Suzanne - not Suzanne herself. Just regular people who may have been in touch with her.

BTW, that is one of the slowest loading sites in my known internet universe.

Yep, and can you point out where anything in the Code says LE can just access records of anyone who has ever been in contact with a crime victim?

The first criteria is, of course, consent. After that, it gets legally tricky. If LE needs to do - why appeal to the public for health if they can just subpoena??? If they could use the Emergency clause (unlikely) they would do it.

They probably do not want to use the Emergency Clause because they are planning to prosecute this as a murder case and they do not think they have a serial killer on their hands.

There has to be a reason why LE isn't going the subpoena route at this point. Keep in mind we're talking about the (redacted) social media messages of people who know Suzanne - not Suzanne herself. Just regular people who may have been in touch with her.

BTW, that is one of the slowest loading sites in my known internet universe.
I imagine it falls within this range but I am not a lawyer
Standard 25-5.4. Emergency aid and exigent circumstances

Law enforcement should be permitted to access a protected record for emergency aid or in exigent circumstances pursuant to the request of a law enforcement officer or prosecutor. As soon as reasonably practical, the officer or prosecutor should notify in writing the party or entity whose authorization would otherwise have been required under Standard 25-5.3.

The Morphew house smelled like bleach on Mother’s Day.

If this statement is true, then I would conclude the following

a) the murder was messy
b) the murder was not planned or did not go as planned
c) the killer felt that bleach was necessary in the cleanup, even if it meant creating unnecessary suspicion

JMO

Excuse my forwardness, but would a murder involving someone choked to death, smothered with a pillow or drown in a bathtub be ‘messy’ to the point of requiring a significant amount of bleach for clean up?
The bleach has me confused too, for the reasons you outline.
I have no idea what he hoped to achieve with bleach, if indeed he did use it in large quantities in strong concentrations.
It's something I have pondered and wondered whether he'd mixed it with another chemical in an effort to bring about a dissolving of her body.
I searched but found nothing conclusive
chlorine bleach in effort to clean a crime scene - Google Search

I'm unsure how clued in he was about chemicals or what he purchased in recent times.

The Morphew house smelled like bleach on Mother’s Day.

If this statement is true, then I would conclude the following

a) the murder was messy
b) the murder was not planned or did not go as planned
c) the killer felt that bleach was necessary in the cleanup, even if it meant creating unnecessary suspicion

JMO

Excuse my forwardness, but would a murder involving someone choked to death, smothered with a pillow or drown in a bathtub be ‘messy’ to the point of requiring a significant amount of bleach for clean up?

Given the unprecedented pandemic, IMO, I think millions of homes where no crime occurred smelled like bleach or disinfectant in May 2020.

Personally, I've taken most of Andy's comments respectfully with a grain of salt including that the Morphew residence smelled of bleach and that there were remnants of bloody roadkill located at the residence.

Even though Andy is family, I believe the CCSO has been keeping information very close to the vest and continues to do so. I also think many of Andy's comments have been taken out of context or expanded upon with no basis for doing so.

For example, depending on the source, there are several sites that claim deer shed their antlers anywhere between January and April -- sometimes earlier depending on the age and physical condition of the deer, etc.

And prior to the antlers breaking off, the shedding of the velvet is bloody.

RKSQJGG4OT3LHN63Y5332MFCUA.jpg

More at link below.

10 Amazing Photos of a Buck Shedding Velvet

MOO

Transportation is the only reason I think SM is somewhere between home and Broomfield.

We used to use ATVs to haul deer out of the woods. It was much easier than dragging them out on foot.
For some reason I’ve always felt like she is close to home, in that triangle area that he keep saying had been searched in the Draper video. Somewhere close enough that he can keep an eye on things. I think Broomfield is just part of his alibi, to put distance between him and the crime scene/body. If she’s found between home and Broomfield, it will definitely point right at him and he knows it. But you never know, hopefully he is that dumb. MOO

That "phony" account was accessed by me, according to my own linked-in profile, a little more than one week after Suzanne disappeared.

You could be right - someone could have pretended to be Suzanne, taken down her real account, and created another Suzanne from Salida with similar interests. But it still isn't exactly the same profile that I saw - the interests are the same (angels, etc) but the other information is different.

Maybe she never had a real account and someone impersonated her. I find that unlikely. But if they did, they wanted to portray her as someone interested in life coaching and sports/athletics - which is exactly what I remember seeing on that profile.

Perhaps the real Suzanne had more than one profile (happens all the time, people lose passwords, etc). In which case, someone took down the real Suzanne's profile - also from Salida, also interested in life coaching and exercise, but with a different profile.

I don't see more than one Sunset Farm profile in the sources I've been to on LinkedIn - I only look back at things I've already been too (I've been to a wrong Suzanne Morphew but never a Susan Morphew or a Susan M). I also don't see any other Sunset Farms profiles in CO, but I haven't spent a lot of time searching.

At any rate, there's still a Suzanne M. from Salida and associated with Sunset Farms on LinkedIn. Since you say this was recently created, can you say how you know that? Because I don't see a date of creation for any profiles, even my own.

My point is that I doubt that SM had a LinkedIn account. I should have been more clear and apologize.

By their own definition, LinkedIn is a professional network that's mainly focused on careers.

We know she had fb, Instagram, and had not posted on Twitter since April 2017.

What is LinkedIn and How Can I Use It? | LinkedIn Help

My point is that I doubt that SM had a LinkedIn account. I should have been more clear and apologize.

By their own definition, LinkedIn is a professional network that's mainly focused on careers.

We know she had fb, Instagram, and had not posted on Twitter since April 2017.

What is LinkedIn and How Can I Use It? | LinkedIn Help
If BM thinks in the same way and SM had to hide her conversation, she could have chatted even via LinkedIn. BM likely wouldn't have searched for her contact on LinkedIn. IMO

My timeline theory:
Everything happened between Saturday evening and 4am.

This is the most logical sequence I see.
-Saturday evening argument / crime
-BM cleans up house crime scene.

-BM calls MG and says he needs help with a job urgently.
- BM picks up MG
-They drive to the job site (where the neighbor heard machinery ).
If SM is not buried there... some other major evidence is.
-BM drops MG off at 4am
-Drives back to his house.
-finishes cleaning up evidence
‘Leaves (SM sleeping! ) at 5am and drives to Broomfield . Probably staging the bike enroute.
-Drives to a car wash
-Checks into the holiday inn

MG returns to the ‘loud machinery. site on Sunday to rake out the beach (cover tracks)
She assembled the hastily put together crew for the questionable wall project which had no bricks or proper tools. In fact JP
sounded happy to hang around a nice hotel for a few days while being paid for his time, and he did not want to contact BM as he had more urgent matters!

The bleach has me confused too, for the reasons you outline.
I have no idea what he hoped to achieve with bleach, if indeed he did use it in large quantities in strong concentrations.
It's something I have pondered and wondered whether he'd mixed it with another chemical in an effort to bring about a dissolving of her body.
I searched but found nothing conclusive
chlorine bleach in effort to clean a crime scene - Google Search

I'm unsure how clued in he was about chemicals or what he purchased in recent times.

This made me LOL after just reading @Megnut’s post re WS members’ internet searches. :p Yes detective I have a perfectly logical explanation for why I searched to see if you can dissolve a body in chlorine bleach!

If I remember well, SuzanneM was the name for her foundation and I wondered about the missing surname. Now there is a different name. - Just saying .... ;)

I'm late to this case and very slow to get through all the threads, only first 3 completed so far.
I'm curious re topography in relation to Gannon's case.
There were so very many crevices where he could have been hidden and we searched quite a few of them at the time.
Is this landscape similar?
In Gannon's case the whole family were avid walkers so they would have been aware of holes and precipices?
Suzanne was small and light, probably.
Have we looked at land surrounding the family home for disused wells etc? Steep drops that would not have required vehicular access or would but no track would have been left because of the terrain?
My instinct is honing in and around family home too , as another poster just mentioned?

In the case of YingYingZhang, LE obtained all the murderer's private messages and submitted them in evidence, including quite a lengthy convo over several months with a woman who had nothing at all to do with the murder yet attested to his manipulative personality.
And although she was never called as a witness, her identity was not hidden and both sender and receiver messages were submitted in evidence.
@kittythehare I'm not sure I'm following the gist of your post.
If the post questions how/why both his & her messages were admitted in evd at trial, possibly, because imo:
-- LE got Search Wts for def, and woman gave voluntary consent for hers;* or
-- LE got Search Wts for both sides; or
-- Prosecutor & def atty stipulated as to the woman's identity, nature of her relationship w def, and that transcripts of their messages were true & accurate records of their convo's, so there was no issue/objection on grounds of authenticity.

I may be experiencing one of my :confused: denser moments :confused: in seeing correlation to SM case. My apologies.
--Defendant's private messages? Very likely imo LE wrote affidavit showing probable cause (that def. committed a crime) for the search warrant, submitted it to judge, who signed to authorize, then LE served the warrant, and got info, later presented at trial.
--Woman's messages? Maybe LE was made aware woman had been in contact w def, so they simply asked her, and she gave voluntary consent and provided phone/device/info. If so, no search warrant necessary. Or maybe LE had some indications she was somehow involved in the death (before or after?), so was able to show probable cause of that in the affidavit, judge signed, LE served search warrant, & got her messages.

@kittythehare I'm not sure I'm following the gist of your post.
If the post questions how/why both his & her messages were admitted in evd at trial, possibly, because imo:
-- LE got Search Wts for def, and woman gave voluntary consent for hers;* or
-- LE got Search Wts for both sides; or
-- Prosecutor & def atty stipulated as to the woman's identity, nature of her relationship w def, and that transcripts of their messages were true & accurate records of their convo's, so there was no issue/objection on grounds of authenticity.

I may be experiencing one of my :confused: denser moments :confused: in seeing correlation to SM case. My apologies.
--Defendant's private messages? Very likely imo LE wrote affidavit showing probable cause (that def. committed a crime) for the search warrant, submitted it to judge, who signed to authorize, then LE served the warrant, and got info, later presented at trial.
--Woman's messages? Maybe LE was made aware woman had been in contact w def, so they simply asked her, and she gave voluntary consent and provided phone/device/info. If so, no search warrant necessary. Or maybe LE had some indications she was somehow involved in the death (before or after?), so was able to show probable cause of that in the affidavit, judge signed, LE served search warrant, & got her messages.
I was replying to something. I believe. I'm finding it difficult to understand your question.
It was a Federal case, well documented here on websleuths.
They got a warrant for his entire facebook content, including private messages.
They PRESENTED both his communications and the replies he received as evidence.
ETA Exhibit List – #414 in United States v. Christensen (C.D. Ill., 2:17-cr-20037) – CourtListener.com

Exhibit List – #410 in United States v. Christensen (C.D. Ill., 2:17-cr-20037) – CourtListener.com

Methinks you want the warrants?
ETA to direct links to all social media included in above two links.
Exhibits | Central District of Illinois | United States District Court

Last edited:
I was replying to something. I believe. I'm finding it difficult to understand your question. It was a Federal case, well documented here on websleuths. They got a warrant for his entire facebook content, including private messages. They PRESENTED both his communications and the replies he received as evidence.
@kittythehare
Sorry my question about relevance is not coming across clearly. Although unfamiliar w details of ^ case, I'm aware of many other criminal cases in which both sides of a private message convo (or emails or equivalent) have been presented and ruled admissible in court, both in fed & state trials. I also understand from your post that it happened in ^ specific federal case.
I did not intend to question your summary of that case, but am not following how that case is relevant to SM's disappearance or presumed death. Maybe I missed the post you were replying to. Very long day for me, so tomorrow, I'll reread the last few pages of the thread.

Hopefully,;) morning caffeine will improve my comprehension. :)

{{ETA: Before signing off, I just read your ETA, "Methinks you want the warrants?" and more. Thank you. I'll give it a look after a caffeine infusion. }}

Last edited:
Very informative post. Thank you. What do you think about possible burial near a river bed? Could a landscaping machine such as a bobcat successfully dig very near the edge of a river (such as the river that runs on and near their PP property)? Just thinking that for a seasoned landscaper it would be very easy to cover an area near the water with rocks on top and the rising and lowering water may quickly hide any evidence of disturbance or digging. Not so sure what would happen with the sinking aspect but like I said seasoned landscapers should know how to deal with things like that.

From what I can see in Google Earth views, the terrain would be difficult for a wheeled skid-steer loader. A rubber tracked loader would have a better chance of navigating the landscape, however either machine would leave significant ground disturbances from the wheels/tracks that would take a lot of work to conceal and would not necessarily require the operator/actor to get wet. While a lot of work could cover up the loader tracks, there would be no way to conceal the crushed brush, branches and ground litter. If near the river was the method of concealment, I think it would have been done with hand tools.

Excellent and informative post, thank you @Trackergd.

I agree traveling a distance with remains by vehicle to other remote locations is extremely risky for the reasons you stated.

In your opinion, as far as moving the remains to a remote area behind PP property whether intact or dismembered (ugh) to an off the ATV trail and/or to a grave at the beach as you describe, be accomplished in approx 31/2-4 hour window?

Considering BM is an experienced Landscaper and had access to various machines/tools, also experienced in navigating rugged terrain, I would think so but I don’t have much experience judging such things.

TIA. :)

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

You have a 3 1/2 to 4 hour window. That includes travel time, digging the grave, concealment and cleanup. At least 1 to 2 hours for digging a grave deep enough by hand to prevent carrion eaters from digging it up, depositing the body and filling it back in. Leveling the spot and concealment with rocks and debris is at least 1 hour to do a good job. Getting to the grave site and back is the remainder of the time. Afterwards tools may need to be cleaned, mud removed from boots, cloths disposed of or laundered, etc. That part can be explained away as part of the actors business. I wonder if the forensics team compared the dirt on the tools, machinery, boots, etc. to that of the river, beach area and land behind PP?

If we look at the beach, you have to ask yourself what contractor would spend the time and money to create a landscape feature as a "gift" for the customer unless there was the potential for a lot of repeat business. Profit is key, time and materials cost money. And why send someone to rake it at a later time? Hiding tracks and disturbances?

IF Suzanne was impersonated by someone the whole morning, until the conversation with her friend stopped, THEN her husband BM had much more time for unknown activity ....
Do you think, it would be possible for BM to have had someone for this job, who was able to "talk" like a woman, allegedly interested in the coming wedding of bff's child?
ETA: For this theory, BM must have known, that the friend would like to have a conversation on Saturday morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member