Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #50

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have a 3 1/2 to 4 hour window. That includes travel time, digging the grave, concealment and cleanup. At least 1 to 2 hours for digging a grave deep enough by hand to prevent carrion eaters from digging it up, depositing the body and filling it back in. Leveling the spot and concealment with rocks and debris is at least 1 hour to do a good job. Getting to the grave site and back is the remainder of the time. Afterwards tools may need to be cleaned, mud removed from boots, cloths disposed of or laundered, etc. That part can be explained away as part of the actors business. I wonder if the forensics team compared the dirt on the tools, machinery, boots, etc. to that of the river, beach area and land behind PP?

If we look at the beach, you have to ask yourself what contractor would spend the time and money to create a landscape feature as a "gift" for the customer unless there was the potential for a lot of repeat business. Profit is key, time and materials cost money. And why send someone to rake it at a later time? Hiding tracks and disturbances?

Or he could have already dug the hole in the days prior, which is bone-chilling, but a valid option, especially with him being a landscaper. I'm still curious to know where he put the body for that elk, bc I don't believe we know if that was something he found before or after she disappeared. Surely he didn't stray too far from the house with that. Suzanne might have witnessed her own grave being dug. *Shivers*

Or he could have already dug the hole in the days prior, which is bone-chilling, but a valid option, especially with him being a landscaper. I'm still curious to know where he put the body for that elk, bc I don't believe we know if that was something he found before or after she disappeared. Surely he didn't stray too far from the house with that. Suzanne might have witnessed her own grave being dug. *Shivers*

Possible. Lots of variations of the same theory are open to consideration.

You have a 3 1/2 to 4 hour window. That includes travel time, digging the grave, concealment and cleanup. At least 1 to 2 hours for digging a grave deep enough by hand to prevent carrion eaters from digging it up, depositing the body and filling it back in. Leveling the spot and concealment with rocks and debris is at least 1 hour to do a good job. Getting to the grave site and back is the remainder of the time. Afterwards tools may need to be cleaned, mud removed from boots, cloths disposed of or laundered, etc. That part can be explained away as part of the actors business. I wonder if the forensics team compared the dirt on the tools, machinery, boots, etc. to that of the river, beach area and land behind PP?

If we look at the beach, you have to ask yourself what contractor would spend the time and money to create a landscape feature as a "gift" for the customer unless there was the potential for a lot of repeat business. Profit is key, time and materials cost money. And why send someone to rake it at a later time? Hiding tracks and disturbances?
Thanks for your response @Trackergd. You make some great points, which are well taken. So BM could have accomplished this *feat*-at least the traveling, moving, digging grave, burying, filling, leveling and concealment in the 3 1/2-4 hour window. Albeit a very tight timeline, doable nonetheless. Hmmmm, interesting. I do struggle with whether this was pre-planned or not and have considered that the hole could have been dug sometime prior as Swedeheart mentioned above, which is bone-chilling indeed.

For me, the pre-planned theory while obviously not impossible, and besides what I would call poorly planned considering the seemingly sloppy aspects in the aftermath, part of me doesn’t want to believe someone could be so evil as to take a Mother away from her children on, of all days, Mother’s Day. He knew their Daughter’s would be coming home on Sunday-Mother’s Day to find out that their Mother is missing. That would be shocking enough for their Daughters and now since 6.5 months have passed, they’ve likely realized she’s not going to be coming home, ever. As a Daughter and Mother myself, how utterly cruel and selfish does someone have to be to knowingly leave this kind of a memory for their own children?!? BM does appear to be all about himself, detached, cold and emotionless though so.....

I just can’t fathom the level of cruelty, like parents who kill their children, I’ll never understand or be able to wrap my head around such depravity. Just my rambling thoughts and .02 for the day.

IMVHO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

Last edited:
Leaving an open hole that is not secured by fencing would be a violation of local construction codes and liability insurance clauses. At least here in PA.

Then again, construction codes and liability clauses are probably the least of one’s worries if they are digging a grave in advance of a murder. :eek:

jmo

If we look at the beach, you have to ask yourself what contractor would spend the time and money to create a landscape feature as a "gift" for the customer unless there was the potential for a lot of repeat business.

RSBM

I think I must have missed something. What is the reference to the beach work being a 'gift' for the landowner? Can you elaborate?

I believe any alteration of the riverbank, *especially* if there was heavy machinery working at the water's edge, would have required a 404 dredge/fill permit from the Army Corps of Engineers.

I'm sure plenty of work like that gets done without such a permit, but since the house construction seemed to be following permit requirements it seems likely the owner would want any work on the property to be legal as well.

Of course as @steeltowngirl says above, someone covering up a murder is probably not going to worry about such details.

MOO

If he buried her somewhere near PP and he didn't use a Bobcat, he would have had to transport a digging tool(s) AND Suzanne. IDK if it would have been viable to dig a deep enough hole by hand on such a tight time frame given the terrain, even with his adrenalin pumping. @Dave F. has posted about the difficulty of digging in the area based on personal experience.

Suzanne was a petite woman. He could have put her in a large, heavy duty (no leaks, difficult to puncture) contractor bag to contain any bodily fluids. It would have made it easier to carry her without leaving a trail of evidence. I think a cooler was used for storage and/or transport if he used his truck but not if he transported her on foot or on a motorized bike or ATV.

If it a site was prepared in advance, I think he used the Bobcat to dig it and camoflauged it until he needed it.

MOO

RBBM. This is what may have been done at the hotel room in Broomfield.

IF Suzanne was impersonated by someone the whole morning, until the conversation with her friend stopped, THEN her husband BM had much more time for unknown activity ....
Do you think, it would be possible for BM to have had someone for this job, who was able to "talk" like a woman, allegedly interested in the coming wedding of bff's child?
ETA: For this theory, BM must have known, that the friend would like to have a conversation on Saturday morning.
I’m not sure he would use another person for this. I do think he tried to impersonate SM himself. It seems the BFF felt the conversation was “off”, then it ended abruptly. Perhaps the BFF questioned her, “Are you okay? You don’t sound right.” This caused BM to end his impersonation. I’m also thinking that maybe they had been FaceTimeing when discussing all the wedding details and “SM” suddenly switched to text only.

I wonder how many times he buried her remains somewhere, only to change his mind, and bury her somewhere else.

Doing so might explain the different cadaver dog hits.

JMVHO.

If so, wouldn't that suggest a treasure trove of evidence left behind in drips, clumps and clods in the vehicle used to get there?
One could only hope....... It could be what he used a cooler for or maybe he laid down a tarp or placed things in the toolbox in his truck. I think MG, when commenting about the tools left at the hotel which were unsuitable for the wall repair they were supposed to do, commented something to the effect of, “It looked like he (BM) emptied all the tools from the back of his truck”. They were left in some type of hotel cart.

RBBM. This is what may have been done at the hotel room in Broomfield.
Yes !
And, LE will know by now from camera footage if BM was extremely 'busy' at that hotel, trotting back and forth to the laundry facilities, going into the room carrying tools/toolbox, and if he emerged from the room dressed in other attire than the clothing he was wearing when he arrived.
Up until now LE haven't looked at anyone other than BM.
Possibly he had assistance after the fact-- but we don't know if those were unknowing participants ; as in (BM), "Listen, I need some help because ...." (insert convincing lie).
Imo.

Last edited:
If he buried her somewhere near PP and he didn't use a Bobcat, he would have had to transport a digging tool(s) AND Suzanne. IDK if it would have been viable to dig a deep enough hole by hand on such a tight time frame given the terrain, even with his adrenalin pumping. @Dave F. has posted about the difficulty of digging in the area based on personal experience.

Suzanne was a petite woman. He could have put her in a large, heavy duty (no leaks, difficult to puncture) contractor bag to contain any bodily fluids. It would have made it easier to carry her without leaving a trail of evidence. I think a cooler was used for storage and/or transport if he used his truck but not if he transported her on foot or on a motorized bike or ATV.

If it a site was prepared in advance, I think he used the Bobcat to dig it and camoflauged it until he needed it.

MOO
I think one of these could have helped with the fluids and concealment as well as movement, it has wheels and if it was in the back of a pickup it would not have raised any flags if the person had to stop for gas or food.
Amazon.com : Plano Storage Trunk - 108 Quart w/ Wheels (1919) - Black : Sports & Outdoors

It is interesting to note that in the the latest CCSO press release: Suzanne Morphew case remains a priority to the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office - Chaffee County Sheriff - that Sheriff S said that while working closely with both the FBI and CSI they are also working closely with the 11th Judicial District. Also, the only county KT had more votes that her opponent, LS was Chaffee County. I seem to remember that the Sheriff S did not endorse KT. Hopefully with the new DA there will be some movement on this case.

Chaffee County Results

Linda Stanley (R) — 6,339
Kaitlin Turner (D) — 6,735

Who's Been on LE's List?
Yes ! And, LE will know by now from camera footage if BM was extremely 'busy' at that hotel, ...Up until now LE haven't looked at anyone other than BM...
@LietKynes sbm Knowing you've been following this case closely, I wonder if you meant this literally
------------------LE haven't looked at anyone other than BM ------------------ *

Not questioning or criticizing your point about LE's concentration on BM as PoI.
My point is: do we/gen public know as a fact LE hasn't looked at anyone else as PoI?
Likely, LE considered others as PoIs, possibly having been involved in disappearance but quickly ruled them out.
And for very credible reasons.
My2cts, could be ;) splitting hairs; ;)could be wrong; or both. :eek:
{{ETA: re your post 176 predicting hotel surv cam vid will reveal vital clues, yes, yes, yes. ITA. }}

* Maybe you meant to convey a thought along these lines:
------------------ In first mo(?) after SM disappeared, LE publicly announced no one had been cleared as a suspect.
------------------ Based on their actions to date, (it seems) LE's
investigation has focused on BM.
------------------ LE has not publicly identified anyone as PoI/suspect, altho gen'ly statistics show the Hub is most likely involved.

Who's Been on LE's List?

@LietKynes sbm Knowing you've been following this case closely, I wonder if you meant this literally
------------------LE haven't looked at anyone other than BM ------------------ *

Not questioning or criticizing your point about LE's concentration on BM as PoI.
My point is: do we/gen public know as a fact LE hasn't looked at anyone else as PoI?
Likely, LE considered others as PoIs, possibly having been involved in disappearance but quickly ruled them out.
And for very credible reasons.
My2cts, could be ;) splitting hairs; ;)could be wrong; or both. :eek:
{{ETA: re your post 176 predicting hotel surv cam vid will reveal vital clues, yes, yes, yes. ITA. }}

* Maybe you meant to convey a thought along these lines:
------------------ In first mo(?) after SM disappeared, LE publicly announced no one had been cleared as a suspect.
------------------ Based on their actions to date, (it seems) LE's
investigation has focused on BM.
------------------ LE has not publicly identified anyone as PoI/suspect, altho gen'ly statistics show the Hub is most likely involved.
I don't know if they have looked at any other POI'S but I know in the past 6 months they have not cleared the husband, that speaks volumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288