Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #88

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Oxford/AstraZeneca half dose trials were a mistake:

“The reason we had the half dose is serendipity,” said Mene Pangalos, executive vice-president of biopharmaceuticals research and development at AstraZeneca.

When university researchers were distributing the vaccine at the end of April, around the start of Oxford and AstraZeneca’s partnership, they noticed expected side effects such as fatigue, headaches or arm aches were milder than expected.

“So we went back and checked … and we found out that they had underpredicted the dose of the vaccine by half,” said Pangalos.

Instead of restarting the trial, he said researchers decided to continue with the half dose and administer the full dose booster shot at the scheduled time.

Oxford Covid vaccine hit 90% success rate thanks to dosing error

Seems there are a few people who don't like that Qantas plans to require covid vaccinations for people who travel on their international planes.

I wonder how they think people will freely internationally travel while this virus is still around? Covid tests are unlikely to be enough.

Much of the opposition was channelled via the online account of a British travel agency, Tradewinds Travel. After Mr Joyce’s statement, it said it would no longer sell tickets on any Qantas flights, even through code shares.

“There are far superior airlines with flights to Australia,” the company posted.
“We will apply the same criteria across the board for all airlines.”
Qantas boss' push for 'no jab, no fly' rule sparks backlash
I have no comment about their decision to require vaccines, but I can say from experience that Qantas has in the past been protective of their passengers and even more so of their homeland. The one and only time I flew (with my mom) to Sydney (from LA), the cabin was literally sprayed with a disinfectant/ insecticide before passengers were allowed to disembark. This was quite a few years ago, and while it surprised many of us, it was accepted as a protective measure in restricting invasive species from entering the country.

IMOHO: Best airline I've ever had the experience to fly.

I’m not planning on leaving my isolated nest until I get a vaccine either @dixiegirl1035...and even waiting a bit after that. As to which vaccine, I’m watching Dr Fauci and as I’ve joked many times “I’ll have what he’s having.” At 75 in January and my dh being 76, we figure they’ll get to us sometime in the spring, barring unforeseen problems which I expect. I’m happy to wait for all the front lines workers, medical and others, plus nursing homes and senior living facilities to get theirs first. We’ve been staying mostly at home since early March, so it won’t kill us to stay home longer...and it might kill us if we don’t!

I'll get whatever Dr. Campbell tells me to! :D

I am absolutely livid. Public health officials and medical experts warned about this. But those at the top insisted that children were safe from contracting COVID-19 or transmitting the virus, despite the research which said otherwise.
They insisted schools stay open and in person (you can guess the true reason why).

And now we are at this point.

US coronanvirus: There was a 28% increase in child Covid-19 cases over the last two weeks, the American Academy of Pediatrics says - CNN

My 16yo son was one of them. Thank God his case was mild. He has been homeschooled for many years, and got it either from my husband, or from the contractor who gave it to my husband.

I think this pediatrician in KY fits better with the way of thinking of many of us. (KY has now closed its schools.)

Hawse says there is "no good option for schools."

"There are very few options that serve both a child's academic health and their social health and their physical health," she says. School lunch programs, after-school programs and special education services are examples of the benefits of in-person schooling that kids can't get online.

For parents, Hawse echoes what she has told her own children.

"We're not going to probably make great leaps and bounds academically this year, and that's got to be OK. We've got to give one another some grace. We are living through a pandemic."

More Kids Are Getting COVID-19, Kentucky Pediatrician Says

Yes, everyone is in the same situation. I'm hoping the grace applies to the PSAT, which my 16yo twins took in October under very trying circumstances.

Mom Who Says Masks Are Child Abuse Throws Kid 250-Person Homecoming Party — The Daily Beast

“In any other year, a glittering homecoming dance in McDonough, Georgia, wouldn’t be controversial.

But during the raging coronavirus pandemic, from which at least 257,072 Americans have died, Ola High School had no plans to host a mass gathering of singing and sweating teenagers. So parents in the town about 35 miles south of Atlanta did it themselves, with few precautions, on Nov. 14.”

“Now, according to the students interviewed by The Daily Beast on Monday, others at neighboring schools have reached out to see how they can throw similar parties in the coming weeks, which they called “winter balls.”

“We all deserved a dance,” said one of the seniors interviewed by The Daily Beast. “We’ve been trying to help them.”

We all deserved to live through a pandemic.

:eek:And in a few days, we will hear in the news how many of them got sick. Hopefully they will all survive and not give it to anyone vulnerable.

Edited for spelling.

My 16yo son was one of them. Thank God his case was mild. He has been homeschooled for many years, and got it either from my husband, or from the contractor who gave it to my husband.

Yes, everyone is in the same situation. I'm hoping the grace applies to the PSAT, which my 16yo twins took in October under very trying circumstances.

:eek:And in a few days, we will hear in the news how many of them got sick. Hopefully they will all survive and not give it to anyone vulnerable.

Edited for spelling.

Wishful thinking: the chances are pretty great that they will spread the virus---and probably to those who are vulnerable----

Ha ha! Yup, I’ll watch what vaccine Dr Campbell is having too. :D It will actually be quite interesting to see their reasoning for which vaccine to get, especially if they differ. It may be that they decide any of them will do a good job. I’m not sure how old Dr Campbell is, but at almost 75, I’m probably closer to Dr Fauci’s age, so what he gets will factor into my decision too.

The plight of the Navajo Nation and other tribes during the pandemic is a national embarrassment, but there’s nothing new to see here. It has always been like this.:mad:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/24/health/navajo-nation-coronavirus-losses-wellness/index.html

The community surpassed New York state for the highest Covid-19 infection rate in the United States in May.

The Navajo had 2,304.41 cases of Covid-19 per 100,000 people at its peak in May, compared to the New York state rate of 1,806 cases per 100,000, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.

Since the pandemic began up until November 22, the Navajo Nation has had 15,039 cases out of its population of 173,667 from the 2010 census, which means this hard-hit population has over 8,659 cases per 100,000 people.
<snip>

Piñon High School Principal Timothy Nelson believes there are a number of reasons for the Navajo Nation's high rate of infection, including a lack of federal and state government support.

"I've always said to people, 'If you want to see a Third World country, look within the United States,'" Nelson said. "Where's the government funding to help fight this Covid virus here on the Navajo?"

He has not seen any evidence of government aid in Pinon or the towns around it to help fight the pandemic.

(Much more to be angry about at the link)

Ha ha! Yup, I’ll watch what vaccine Dr Campbell is having too. :D It will actually be quite interesting to see their reasoning for which vaccine to get, especially if they differ. It may be that they decide any of them will do a good job. I’m not sure how old Dr Campbell is, but at almost 75, I’m probably closer to Dr Fauci’s age, so what he gets will factor into my decision too.

Dr. Campbell is retired, though, so maybe late 60's?

His research and teaching are so detailed that I imagine he will describe which vaccines are better for which populations, and if I have the opportunity to choose, that's how I will make my decision. Of course, we may not all be able to choose, and I'm ok with that too.

Keep in mind that some vaccines in the UK will not be the ones perhaps in the US. MOO

But I'm sure we will all have great discussions in future threads, and looking forward to such.

RE Covid testing - I just came back from CVS to get my shingrex (first round for 2 dose shingles vaccine). I went to the drive through and saw notices on the window re COVID testing. From the notices (darn, should have taken a photo) on the drive through window, it appears that they are giving out tests, then accepting them back. My guess is they instruct you through their glass so you self test, put in envelope, and give back for processing.

The pharmacist asked DOB/Name, and said that they would text me a form to fill out on line. So, I drove to a parking space, filled out the form (allergies, preexisting condition etc, do you have symptoms etc fill in the dots)... and then walked in to the store with mask and face shield . I received my shingrex shot and was out in 5 minutes.

While getting the shot I asked 2 questions about their COVID testing. 1) re type of test....is PCR 2) must you have script... no, just sign up on line and come in, free of charge

The entire time, I was the ONLY person in the store with the exception of the employees.

Just an FYI of my area... whose infection rate is currently RED ZONE of 247/100,000 (target was to keep below 100 for school closures, which is another story)

Last edited:
Coronavirus live updates: More than 85,000 covid patients hospitalized nationwide, shattering more records

“The number of coronavirus patients hospitalized across the United States shattered records on Monday, topping 85,700. Although some of the hardest-hit states are beginning to report fewer new infections, Thanksgiving travel and gatherings could reverse that trend. Even after cases peak, deaths will continue rising for several weeks.“

[...]

• In Japan, South Korea and Hong Kong, governments are reimposing restrictions this week as public complacency, policy blunders and colder weather fuel a surge in virus cases.
  • Workers at Walmart, Amazon, Kroger and other major retailers say their employers should reinstate hazard pay and strengthen safety protocols ahead of the busy holiday shopping season.
  • Despite health officials’ warnings to stay home, more than 3 million people passed through TSA checkpoints in the past three days, making the lead-up to Thanksgiving the busiest travel period since March.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that some vaccines in the UK will not be the ones perhaps in the US. MOO

But I'm sure we will all have great discussions in future threads, and looking forward to such.

RE Covid testing - I just came back from CVS to get my shingrex (first round for 2 dose shingles vaccine). I went to the drive through and saw notices on the window re COVID testing. From the notices (darn, should have taken a photo) on the drive through window, it appears that they are giving out tests, then accepting them back. My guess is they instruct you through their glass so you self test, put in envelope, and give back for processing.

The pharmacist asked DOB/Name, and said that they would text me a form to fill out on line. So, I drove to a parking space, filled out the form (allergies, preexisting condition etc, do you have symptoms etc fill in the dots)... and then walked in to the store with mask and face shield . I received my shingrex shot and was out in 5 minutes.

While getting the shot I asked 2 questions about their COVID testing. 1) re type of test....is PCR 2) must you have script... no, just sign up on line and come in, free of charge

The entire time, I was the ONLY person in the store with the exception of the employees.

Just an FYI of my area... whose infection rate is currently RED ZONE of 247/100,000 (target was to keep below 100 for school closures, which is another story)
It's just nice, IMHO, to be discussing vaccines and their imminent release to the world's population. A little less doom and gloom appearing on the horizon.

Nov 23 (yesterday) Dr. Campbell reviews two small studies (I know he's so frustrated more aren't being done on larger scale, but I think/hope most here know, and are doing supplements for D here at WS? I was screened for a few years back and told by GP to start taking supplements, wish the general public was educated as to WHY.. as I never was until COVID. )

Short term, high-dose vitamin D supplementation for COVID-19 disease: a randomised, placebo-controlled, study (SHADE study) ... and he also is so disapointed that MSM is not picking up such.

50 patients treated with calcifediol, one required admission to the ICU (2%), no deaths... 26 untreated patients, 13 required admission (50%) to the ICU, 2 deaths.

"It has been observed that vitamin D-deficient individuals have increased COVID-19 risk and mortality" ....."The role of vitamin D in the prevention of coronavirus disease infection and mortality"..." Immunomodulatory role and protective effect of vitamin D against other viral infections" .. etc...

Bottom line (his notes are below video if you don't have time to watch) is that high doses of vitamin D (in the form of calcifediol vs what most of us take as cholecalciferol which has to go through liver to be processed) as soon as admitted to hospital clear the virus more quickly and are less prone to blood clotting complications. And it's consistent to observational correlations studies... yet so little of national recommendations and large scale trials.

He reviews studies, levels etc.

Again, most here at WS have been seeing such since March/April that vitamin D may/is good MOO. And many of us started to take (and especially now within winter in the northern hemisphere.)

Attachments

• VitaminD.JPG
    VitaminD.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors