AZ AZ - Morgan Heimer, 22, Grand Canyon National Park, 2 June 2015

I got curious about this case and came to see if there were any updates. It's unbelievable that he could disappear without a trace of clothing or his life jacket. The kind of story that gives you chills.

The Colorado is a mighty river with long inaccessible stretches except for rafters rushing thru, wild rapids, and complex geology above and below the surface that could easily snag a body. I think he's there for sure - like many 22 year olds, probably didn't realize a move he was making was very risky.

over a year now and nothing... very sad.

was just reminded of morgan due to the man who went missing at the canyon over the weekend.

I was just researching Diana Zacharias' case and happened upon this one. How strange that this young man disappeared in this way. What is going on ? I'm starting to believe that Paulides may be on to something. Not really, but still..... well, who knows. So very sad.
And just to note: I came across a forum where someone that was on that tour stated that the circumstances surrounding his disappearance "were really strange". He wouldn't elaborate because it was on a "public forum". I just hope he disclosed all that he knows to LE. https://kategale.wordpress.com/2015...sin-lisas-son-has-been-missing-since-tuesday/

This is posted over on Paulides CanAm Missing website. I wonder if the employee that contacted him is the same poster that posted the comment on the blog that is linked up thread.... or not, as it states they were all completely baffled at Morgan's disappearance. It also seems to clarify why Morgan was wearing his life preserver.

http://www.canammissing.com/current_events.html

BBM:
Morgan Heimer-22 years
Missing 6/2/15- Grand Canyon National Park, AZ
Hiking
Not Found
Morgan was an English major at the University of Wyoming and had a summer job as a tour guide for white water trips on the Colorado River. He was an outstanding swimmer and competent guide. Morgan’s group of boats pulled the group to the side of the river at a regular stop where they take guests up a side creek. Guests take a short walk to a pool where they jump off boulders into the water. The group was walking back to the boats along the small creek, Morgan was wearing his life preserver and was last in line when he disappeared. There was an extensive search by the National Park Service, nothing was found of Morgan or his equipment.
An employee that worked at the same guide company that Morgan worked contacted me. He explained that the other guides on this trip are completely baffled. The area he disappeared had a small creek with cliff walls on both sides. He stated that it didn’t seem possible that Morgan could disappear as he did.

Just not enough info. What kind of crew were doing the tour ? Was there any conflict between Heimer and others ? What was his personality like ? He could have been murdered for all we can surmise from the non information. On his cousins blog someone claiming to have been in the group left a totally non informative post - thanks for nothing.

Added to Charley Project: Morgan Elias Heimer – The Charley Project

Details of Disappearance
Heimer was last seen on the Colorado River within Grand Canyon National Park on June 2, 2015. He was working as a guide for Tour West, a commercial rafting company, and was on day six of an eight-day whitewater rafting trip when he went missing.

He was last seen standing with the tour group on a low cliff at the water's edge in the vicinity of River Mile 213, near Pumpkin Springs, at 4:00 p.m. The guides had taken the group up a side creek and were walking back to the boats at the time.

Heimer said something to the lead guide about taking some time off that afternoon. The lead guide walked away from the cliff to talk to a client, and when he looked back, Heimer was gone. The guide assumed he'd gone on break. No one realized he was missing until 7:00 p.m., when he didn't show up for dinner and they were unable to find him. He has never been heard from again.

Heimer is from Cody, Wyoming and was enrolled at the University of Wyoming, studying English. He is an experienced outdoorsman and river guide, and an excellent swimmer. An extensive search turned up no indication of his whereabouts.

Name: Morgan Heimer

Missing from: Grand Canyon National Park

Date Missing: June 2, 2015

Description: Heimer was 22 years old when he went missing. White male, 6’0” tall, 175 pounds, blond hair and blue eyes. Last seen wearing dark-colored Astral personal flotation device, a blue plaid long sleeve shirt, Chaco brand sandals, a maroon baseball cap, and brightly colored shorts. Carrying a purple water bottle.

Case Info: Heimer was last seen on Tuesday, June 2, 2015 around Colorado River mile 213 near Pumpkin Springs. The search for Heimer is in continuous, limited mode.

Cold Cases - Investigative Services (U.S. National Park Service)

MP_Heimer.jpg

Last edited:
The unfortunate likelihood, in my opinion, is that he slipped into a a deep crevasse or steep drop that would prove nearly impossible to investigate. It's very sad - and possible he was taking the afternoon off to take a hike and enjoy nature. I think this is the uncomfortable truth for a lot of "without a trace" disappearances: they lose footing and slip or stumble into a steep crack/drop or in other environments plunge through an icy river covering and get snagged underwater. In both cases, nothing would be left behind and it would be extremely hard to find the body.

The other possibility is that he was taking the afternoon off to meet up with someone to leave the park by car? It seems like this would be an easier lead to follow up on if there are limited number of exits...

Sounds like misadventure. How tragic for him and his family. I truly hope he will be found soon.

Missing Person Morgan Heimer
Missing Person Morgan Heimer
NPS image

Name: Morgan Heimer

Missing from
: Grand Canyon National Park

Date Missing: June 2, 2015

Description: Heimer was 22 years old when he went missing. White male, 6’0” tall, 175 pounds, blond hair and blue eyes. Last seen wearing dark-colored Astral personal flotation device, a blue plaid long sleeve shirt, Chaco brand sandals, a maroon baseball cap, and brightly colored shorts. Carrying a purple water bottle.

Case Info: Heimer was last seen on Tuesday, June 2, 2015 around Colorado River mile 213 near Pumpkin Springs. The search for Heimer is in continuous, limited mode.

I'm a little confused about the details. Morgan asks for some time off, and then he leaves? What day/time did he want off? Was that immediate or at some other time? As someone speculated upthread, was he having problems with someone on the tour he was with? Someone bullying him? Or was he asking for another day off? Just curious he would ask for time off and then disappear. I've never had a job where I could take time off same day unless I had a good reason, i.e. medical emergency, major family issue, etc. Otherwise I'm told to tough it out. I would think he was told he couldn't take THAT day off, regardless, as he was co-responsible for a group of people; otherwise he would be leaving the remaining guide in charge, unless I have that incorrect. Don't know how big of a deal it is, but if you have two tour guides, there must be some reason for it? Is there any reason to speculate he would be cliff jumping? I thought they were all in an area with sheer cliffs. Could he have thought it would be funny to drop in on everyone while they were having lunch? As in, make a big splash? Not that I think that, but I was curious as someone mentioned it elsewhere. Just speculating before having to go back to work.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back