Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #88

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think part of the confusion is this: is the virus that is left on surfaces active enough to actually cause disease. We know that virus does stay on surfaces yet we are told there is very little chance of transmission in this way ( they don't say no chance). So, I don't know---
Isn't the flu vaccine like herd immunity? One can still get a rare mild case but enough get the vaccine it is herd immunity they want.

Hopefully they are applying some balancing measures, to allow for the stress of covid.

Over here, the schools are all taking into consideration the students year-long academic performance when tallying their final exam results. They have already promised that (exams have been sat, results won't be in for a month or so).

During one final exam in another state the system crashed during the exam, so they are going to base all of the results for that subject on year-long academic performance in that subject.

The Year 12 students have all had a trying time with schools being opened and closed for deep cleaning, periods of quarantine, periods of lockdown.

I actually don’t see this as a bad thing, and I know I may be in the minority but for the students to be judged on their actual work throughout the whole year as opposed to an exam would be so beneficial for so many students. Exam pressure is unreal and can lead to false results...I’m just not big on standardised testing...And if Covid leads to changes in this area then I’m all for it.
MOO IMO

There are many reasons why those of us in Florida are "super-hibernating" from now through the New Year.....

What You Need To Know
Florida reported 8,555 new COVID-19 cases and 72 deaths from the virus Tuesday

There were 5,970 pediatric coronavirus cases Monday, compared to 1,657 on October 5

Data shows a rapid increase in pediatric COVID-19 cases since early October

More than 18,000 Floridians have died from the virus

Experts Concerned About Florida Spike in Child COVID-19 Cases

And...people are projecting "Spring Break" behavior in Florida, because rules are so lax.

University of Florida ranks #2 in nation for positive COVID-19 cases ahead of Thanksgiving break

Thanksgiving through Christmas.... Come to Florida and spread the infections!!!
Florida leads list of Thanksgiving destinations for air travel | wtsp.com

When I went to school if you had an A average you didn't have to take a final exam unless you wanted to. It also didn't affect your grade that much unless you were border line failing or border line on a letter grade. The reason behind it is that it's not fair for a student to get knocked down a letter grade because of having one bad day and a student shouldn't be rewarded for their laziness because they put in some effort to pass the last couple of weeks of the school year.

Does an asymptomatic person test postive? or not... how would you know IF you are asymptomatic?

TIA! and
thanks07b.gif
all!

Yes an asymptomatic person will test positive for Covid. 30% of people who get Covid don't even know because they have no symptoms and this is what makes it spread so bad - aymptomatic people mingling with others which is happening with indoor gatherings.

The asymptomatic person shows up for a relative's birthday gathering and infects the entire room, a dozen people, then those people go home and spread it. No wonder it's so outrageously out of control!

The only way to know for sure that you don't have Covid would be to get tested every week at least which is why cheap in-home tests would be so valuable.

The only way to know you have asymptomatic Covid is via a test. Like you come into contact with a person who has Covid but you feel fine but decide to get tested to be safe and voila! Your test is positive. I'm sure in airports with Covid testing they catch asymptomatic people.

I'm sure the number of Covid Cases is quite a bit under-reported. Many have had Covid without getting tested due to no symptoms or mild symptoms so they are not counted, I assume the count goes by positive tests.

...2 Cents...

Last edited:
Yes an asymptomatic person will test positive for Covid. 30% of people who get Covid don't even know because they have no symptoms and this is what makes it spread so bad. Asymptomatic people mingling with others which is happening with indoor gatherings. The asymptomatic person shows up and infects the entire room.

The only way to know for sure that you don't have Covid would be to get tested every week at least which is why cheap in-home tests would be so valuable.

The only way to know you have asymptomatic Covid is via a test. Like you cone into contact with a person who has Covid but you feel fine but decide to get tested to be safe and voila! Your test is positive. I'm sure in airports with Covid testing they catch asymptomatic people.

...2 Cents...
But it would be a rapid test which isn’t great for those without symptoms?

But it would be a rapid test which isn’t great for those without symptoms?

I have never heard of tests being more reliable for people who have Covid with symptoms and less reliable for those who have Covid without symptoms.

Some people get mild cases of the flu while others get a bad case, but it's still the flu. Covid is still Covid.

Last edited:
There are many reasons why those of us in Florida are "super-hibernating" from now through the New Year.....

What You Need To Know
Florida reported 8,555 new COVID-19 cases and 72 deaths from the virus Tuesday

There were 5,970 pediatric coronavirus cases Monday, compared to 1,657 on October 5

Data shows a rapid increase in pediatric COVID-19 cases since early October

More than 18,000 Floridians have died from the virus

Experts Concerned About Florida Spike in Child COVID-19 Cases

And...people are projecting "Spring Break" behavior in Florida, because rules are so lax.

University of Florida ranks #2 in nation for positive COVID-19 cases ahead of Thanksgiving break

And now this . . .
DeSantis extends executive order banning local governments from enforcing mask mandate violations

The order, which was signed in September, prevents cities from fining people for not adhering to mask mandates.

The order also prevents cities and counties from ordering restaurants to close without financial or health reasons being justified.

Yes an asymptomatic person will test positive for Covid. 30% of people who get Covid don't even know because they have no symptoms and this is what makes it spread so bad - aymptomatic people mingling with others which is happening with indoor gatherings.

The asymptomatic person shows up for a relative's birthday gathering and infects the entire room, a dozen people, then those people go home and spread it. No wonder it's so outrageously out of control!

The only way to know you have asymptomatic Covid is via a test. Like you come into contact with a person who has Covid but you feel fine but decide to get tested to be safe and voila! Your test is positive. I'm sure in airports with Covid testing they catch asymptomatic people.

I'm sure the number of Covid Cases is quite a bit under-reported. Many have had Covid without getting tested due to no symptoms or mild symptoms so they are not counted, I assume the count goes by positive tests.

...2 Cents...
My cousin and his wife were asymptomatic but had to go visit her parents and gave them Covid. Ugg

I have never heard of tests being more reliable for people who have Covid with symptoms and less reliable for those who have Covid without symptoms.

Some people get mild cases of the flu while others get a bad case, but it's still the flu. Covid is still Covid.

I asked my sister and she sent me this. Just to refresh my memory. (I seem to be more distracted lately)

Rapid Test

“Rapid tests are considered most accurate in a patient who is having symptoms of COVID-19. While the rapid test can get you results very quickly, the results may not always be accurate.”

“In those who don’t have symptoms, the false negative rate — meaning my test is negative but I actually have the disease — can be as high as 50%. This can have tremendous consequences as we try to contain the spread of COVID-19.

The false positive rate — meaning I test positive but I do not really have the disease — is quite low. So, if you test positive from a rapid test it is more likely you do have the disease.”

PCR Test

PCR testing is considered the “gold standard” in SARS-CoV-2 detection. This test actually detects RNA (or genetic material) that is specific to the virus and can detect the virus within days of infection, even those who have no symptoms. The test can be done in a clinic, hospital, or even in your car. Turnaround time is longer, generally in the 2-3 day range but results can be in as little as 24 hours. When demand is high, results can take a week or longer.”

What's The Difference Between COVID-19 Rapid and PCR Tests? - Memorial Healthcare

The drive up location here has a 4 hour wait (you still have to sign up online before heading to the test site)
If you have symptoms- they do both tests.
I wonder how many test negative on the rapid and positive on the PCR.
And would carry on normally until they get results on the second test?

<RSBM>

I find this so .... annoying (can't find the right word).

The airlines *could* do a lot to help stop the spread. But, of course, that would take govt assistance. Which is not forthcoming.

Eg: Our airlines received govt financial assistance to close down for many months. Staff were eligible for JobKeeper payments - like many people were - just a portion of your weekly wages, but enough to get by on.
And the Prime Minister stayed in talks with the airlines. Making agreements when flights could and couldn't fly. Helping subsidise them to a degree by awarding them govt money to repatriate overseas Aussies .... letting them also charge the incoming Aussies a set amount for their flight and thereby make enough to keep the airlines in business.

In the NBC Nightly News video and my transcription notes from post here last night, President-Elect Biden discusses his main focus on schools and helping them (and businesses) to safely reopen. He mentions ventilation systems as a key part of this (as well as PPE for all schools employees including bus drivers, janitors, etc.).

Here is a great video by the WSJ about indoor ventilation systems and Covid-19, and what is needed going forward. Lots of money is required, as 41% of schools will need the new ventilation systems in half of their schools. The science behind HEPA filters, “Brownian Motion”, “MERV 13” filters, etc. are discussed / worth a watch moo:

November 23, 2020
Ventilation Is Key to Battling Covid. Here’s Why
As the weather gets colder and people head indoors, the risk of catching Covid-19 is rising. WSJ explains why air ventilation and filtration are one of our biggest defenses against the coronavirus this winter. Illustration: Nick Collingwood/WSJ

Eta:

“Brownian motion, also called Brownian movement, any of various physical phenomena in which some quantity is constantly undergoing small, random fluctuations. It was named for the Scottish botanist Robert Brown, the first to study such fluctuations (1827).“

Brownian motion | physics

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads