Found Deceased MA - Jalajhia “LayLay” Finklea, 18, pregnant, w/ Luis Zaragoza (fnd decd), New Bedford, 20 Oct 2020

Wow, I am shocked she made it out of mass. I really thought her body was going to be found there and that is why he fled to Florida. At least they found her so her family can bury her and have some closure.

Remains of pregnant New Bedford teenager found in Florida

MASHPEE, Mass. — A deceased body presumed to be that of a missing 18-year-old Massachusetts teenager was found Wednesday afternoon outside of Vero Beach, Florida, Bristol County District Attorney Thomas M. Quinn III said.

Authorities said the presumed remains of 18-year-old Jalajhia Finklea of Mashpee were found around noon Wednesday in Fellsmere, located northwest of Vero Beach.

She was five months pregnant when she left her mother's home the day before her 18th birthday.

"Although the deceased is presumed to be Ms. Finklea, a positive identification has yet to be made," the district attorney's office said. "An autopsy will be conducted in Florida to positively identify the deceased and to determine cause and manner of death, which is believed to be homicide."

The presumed remains of Finklea were found approximately 500 miles away from where 37-year-old Luis Zaragoza, wanted in connection with the disappearance of Finklea, died.
How awful - thank you for finding this and I’m so sorry for her family
Jmo

wh

what does that mean?
I meant that it’s sketchy. Her aunt, an adult, dates a man, an adult. He still has access to this CHILD years later. Sketch.

My own very amateur opinion,
Laylay was groomed, Aunt knew he was inappropriate and how he saw her, but turned a blind eye because he was supporting them financially or had dirt on aunt. Was supplying drugs, something. There was some sort of trade off. Again imo.

This is devastating news. Poor Laylay.
She must have been so scared.
I’m so happy everyone can finally get some closure.

Imo of course
I’m thinking she went to his car to pick up weed or talk briefly. But they sat in the car and argued for 20 minutes. Either about late termination or her being 18 yet not wanting to leave with him. From texts he posted it really looks like HE was way more into her and she’s like “k....”. I think this wasn’t a typical grooming relationship..I think Laylay really did have the upper hand here. I think he was infatuated with her and she kept him around because she knew he was dangerous and he gave her and her friends free weed. I don’t think the feelings were all that reciprocal.
They could have argued about 3 different things
1) He’s mad she’s terminating his baby. It’s a symbol of “their love”
2) He learns of the procedure and that it’s not his baby, which means she’s been with someone else
3) it’s his baby but she’s changed her mind about the procedure. If she follows through with the pregnancy, it would be evidence he slept with a minor. Plus, child support. Scum men hate child support.
4) He wants her to leave everything behind and get away now that she’s 18. Just like she said on fb...only she never said she’d go with him. But he wants her to go with him. She tells him she’s not ready, those aren’t her plans.

He starts driving. She wants to go home. When she realizes he’s not going to turn around and he’s getting angrier, she goes to call the cops but he grabs her phone and throws it out the window.
I don’t know when he killed her but I think he left her in Florida, went to Texas, then returned to Florida to go back and see her body, check on the scene.

Little Laylay. I was watching videos of her last week and she was such a well spoken, charismatic, talented young woman. She had so much potential.

Before she was found, Finklea was the fifth missing woman of color in Massachusetts reported to the foundation's website, joining the unsolved disappearances of Lisa Lvette Hall, Rosa Ramos, Savannah Whitney Canada and Jennifer Kabura Mbugua. Another Native American woman, Mykilee Driver, who lived in Mashpee for about eight years, went missing in November during a visit with her mother in Portland, Oregon, and has yet to be found.

Missing persons: Blacks, Native Americans get less media coverage

Before she was found, Finklea was the fifth missing woman of color in Massachusetts reported to the foundation's website, joining the unsolved disappearances of Lisa Lvette Hall, Rosa Ramos, Savannah Whitney Canada and Jennifer Kabura Mbugua. Another Native American woman, Mykilee Driver, who lived in Mashpee for about eight years, went missing in November during a visit with her mother in Portland, Oregon, and has yet to be found.

I completely agree with your point. I sometimes think it's my imagination that they receive less attention but I guess not. That being said, I was pleased with the attention that was ultimately focused on the case of 15 year old NB who was missing from the Belmont MA area earlier this month. She got a front page mention on Boston.com and five LE units worked to bring her home. Let's hope that's the start of a better approach by our society.

Laylays story goes beyond her just being a bipoc I feel. I think her age made it all a grey area for some people and they couldn’t decide how serious to take the problem until it was way way too late. I really hope that we eventually can get a more detailed look at what really happened. I want to know how and when they started tracking him etc. What they think the timeline was.
And I want to know more about the relationship between these two. I think it could serve as a lesson to many...don’t let grown men be around children like this.

***edited to say I think that her being a bipoc DOES play into it though. It is a very real problem. I hate that she was another MMIWG.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back