Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #88

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amount of exercise WHO wants us to get.

For adults up to age 64, getting at least 150 to 300 minutes of moderate aerobic activity, or minimum 75 to 150 minutes of vigorous aerobic exercise, per week can reduce the risk for early death, heart disease, hypertension, cancer and Type 2 diabetes, the report said.

The guidelines also recommend that older adults, ages 65 and older, do at least 150 to 300 minutes of moderate intensity exercise or 75 or 150 minutes of vigorous aerobic exercise throughout the week.

Exercises that strengthen all muscles should be done at least twice weekly. The same guidance goes for older adults, as much as they can — but they should prioritize balance and strength training a few days per week. Those can help prevent falls and related injuries, as well as declines in bone health and ability.

The exercise you need: New guidelines from World Health Organization - CNN

US Coronavirus: Thanksgiving coronavirus surge could turn into the Christmas surge, health professor warns - CNN

After quoting Osterholm, Fauci and Seema Verma, the article quotes a front line doctor in Houston:

As grim as the current numbers may seem, physicians and officials throughout the country are projecting an even harder next few weeks.

In Houston, Dr. Joseph Varon, chief of staff at United Memorial Medical Center, said he has been working for 251 straight days because of the pandemic.

The Trump administration is considering shortening the recommended quarantine time
He said he suspects caseloads at the hospital will get worse as the country awaits a vaccine, especially if people don't take seriously public health officials' exhortations to socially distance and wear masks.

"My concerns for the next six to 12 weeks is that if we don't do things right, America is going to see the darkest days in modern American medical history," Varon told CNN Wednesday.

"My hospital is full. I just opened two new wings so that I can accommodate for the next few days, because I know that a lot of people are going to get sick after Thanksgiving," he said.

"My nurses in the middle of the day, they will start crying, because they are getting so many patients, and it's a never-ending story," Varon said. "When they finish finally getting a patient in, they get a phone call from the ER that there is another patient getting admitted."

Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. once said that the right to punch a guy in the nose ends at the tip of the other guy's nose. People have a right to own a business and make a living but their right to do that ends when you start jeopardizing your employees safety. Since a lot of business owners are so set on personal rights then I am sure they will understand if employees who got Covid-19 exercise their rights and start suiting them.

I just watched Richard Schiff from “West Wing” and “Good Doctor” interviewed by his friend Lawrence O’Donnell on MSNBC (he wrote for “West Wing.”) He said y0u do NOT want to get this virus!! He was hospitalized in Vancouver BC where he works, and spoke about a couple of days he wasn’t sure he would make it and that you don’t want to have that conversation with your spouse (that’s when I lost it!). He is still very weak. His wife had a milder case. He didn’t get it on the set and has been very careful elsewhere, but we know how sneaky it is (see article below). So he begged everyone to do everything in their power not to get it.

The clip from the show hasn’t been posted yet, but if you get a chance, watch it.

Earlier article:
His wife mentioned that they could have gotten it at the gym or from take-out. They don’t know.
Richard Schiff Hospitalized After Testing Positive for COVID-19, Wife Sheila Kelley Is 'Still Fairly Ill'

I saw that too---- my guess is that he got it on the set--

It was interesting that he said he didn’t get it on the set because they followed proper protocols and everyone else was fine. Of course, someone could have been asymptomatic. I think he may have gotten it from his wife if she was the one going to the gym and picking up take-out as mentioned in the People Mag article. Or it could be a mystery. If my dh and I got it I’d be hard pressed to figure out where. I never leave our apartment and he is so careful...he even carried groceries up three flights of stairs tonight because someone got out of the elevator not wearing a mask! But it can happen and quite frankly, it terrifies me.

It was interesting that he said he didn’t get it on the set because they followed proper protocols and everyone else was fine. Of course, someone could have been asymptomatic. I think he may have gotten it from his wife if she was the one going to the gym and picking up take-out as mentioned in the People Mag article. Or it could be a mystery. If my dh and I got it I’d be hard pressed to figure out where. I never leave our apartment and he is so careful...he even carried groceries up three flights of stairs tonight because someone got out of the elevator not wearing a mask! But it can happen and quite frankly, it terrifies me.

It is terrifying not to know how one got the virus- you make a good point about him possibly getting it from his wife who went to the gym-- but think about he could have gotten it from the set- there must be quite a few people on the set and certainly someone could have broken protocol and he might not even have noticed- let's say one or two people took off their mask for a while and they had the virus. I hear lots of stories where people say they have no idea how they got it, but if you were to dig a little deeper or have more information, it might become more evident how they contracted it

Showing complete and utter misunderstanding of coronavirus. This is just so sad. Even if no one else in ND cares about the elderly, surely our society as a whole has a little compassion.

Hopefully the hospitals will prevail.

South Dakota:

S.D. tribes say they're 'trapped in a house on fire' — fighting Covid while governor lets it rage

Governor Noem has also criticized the checkpoints set up by the Cheyenne River Sioux, as well as other Native American tribes in the state. In May, she asked the Trump administration to help intervene in a compromise to allow checkpoints on tribal roads but not state and federal ones within reservations.

Tribal members and other Indigenous-led groups in South Dakota say the lack of sweeping action — and the overt displays of opposition — on the part of state and some local officials stand to undermine their tribal sovereignty and attempts to protect their people during an intensifying public health crisis.

As deaths spiral, South Dakota governor opposes mask rules

The governor’s spokeswoman Maggie Seidel pushed back against arguments by public health experts that a mask mandate would dramatically reduce the spread of the virus, pointing out that states like Illinois, Minnesota and Wisconsin have also experienced significant virus waves despite having strict mandates to wear face coverings.

“The facts are simple: mask mandates, harsh lockdowns, massive testing and contact tracing haven’t worked – in the United States or abroad,” Seidel wrote in an email.

South Dakota State News Home
South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem:

In South Dakota, we won’t stop or discourage you from thanking God and spending time together this Thanksgiving. I’d like to take this opportunity to remind you why we haven’t taken certain actions here in South Dakota.

Your friends and family in other states might be living through renewed lockdowns or shelter-in-place orders. They may be mandated to wear masks. Here in South Dakota, we took a different path.

The truth is, there is no science to support the claim that lockdowns stop the spread of the virus. The virus will spread – we cannot stop it until there is a cure – but we can slow it down with mitigation measures. Not even mask mandates have stopped cases from rising in communities.

On the other hand, such actions can devastate our livelihoods and our ability to provide for our families. In South Dakota, we’ve fought the virus while still allowing you to put food on the table and keep a roof over your head.

Last edited:
It is terrifying not to know how one got the virus- you make a good point about him possibly getting it from his wife who went to the gym-- but think about he could have gotten it from the set- there must be quite a few people on the set and certainly someone could have broken protocol and he might not even have noticed- let's say one or two people took off their mask for a while and they had the virus. I hear lots of stories where people say they have no idea how they got it, but if you were to dig a little deeper or have more information, it might become more evident how they contracted it

You make a good point. Even well designed protocols get broken all the time. All it takes is one person. From the articles below it seems that film company is as careful as possible, and if Richard and Sheila are not really sure where they got it, I expect they want to support their employer and not throw them under the bus, so to speak. I was curious about the filming of the show and found a couple of articles describing its Covid protocols.

Where Is The Good Doctor Filmed? Season 4 Filming Locations

'Good Doctor' star says filming continues after show's married couple contract COVID

Once again, Native Americans are not supported by the government in their fight against Covid-19 that affects them disproportionately. I posted about the Navajo last night. Shameful. :mad:

Governor Noem has also criticized the checkpoints set up by the Cheyenne River Sioux, as well as other Native American tribes in the state. In May, she asked the Trump administration to help intervene in a compromise to allow checkpoints on tribal roads but not state and federal ones within reservations.

Tribal members and other Indigenous-led groups in South Dakota say the lack of sweeping action — and the overt displays of opposition — on the part of state and some local officials stand to undermine their tribal sovereignty and attempts to protect their people during an intensifying public health crisis.

I just watched Richard Schiff from “West Wing” and “Good Doctor” interviewed by his friend Lawrence O’Donnell on MSNBC (he wrote for “West Wing.”) He said y0u do NOT want to get this virus!! He was hospitalized in Vancouver BC where he works, and spoke about a couple of days he wasn’t sure he would make it and that you don’t want to have that conversation with your spouse (that’s when I lost it!). He is still very weak. His wife had a milder case. He didn’t get it on the set and has been very careful elsewhere, but we know how sneaky it is (see article below). So he begged everyone to do everything in their power not to get it.

The clip from the show hasn’t been posted yet, but if you get a chance, watch it.

Earlier article:
His wife mentioned that they could have gotten it at the gym or from take-out. They don’t know.
Richard Schiff Hospitalized After Testing Positive for COVID-19, Wife Sheila Kelley Is 'Still Fairly Ill'

I hope they will be okay. Glad they are trying using their own experience to help warn/educate others. It’s certainly nothing we haven’t already heard, but if their message reaches even one person, that could be 1 person (or 2, or 4, or 8, or 16, or 32, or 64...(Dr. Osterholm used that numeric example in his last podcast, using a R naught of 2.0 to keep it simple and try to explain his point clearly).

As far as "Where did we catch it? I don't know. Could've been the gym. Could've been take out. It's impossible to know,", my bet is it was likely at the gym, not takeout - it’s not even a comparison between the two wrt to risk, imo.

Last edited:
Major shift at Supreme Court on Covid-19 orders

“The Supreme Court signaled a major shift in its approach to coronavirus-related restrictions late Wednesday, voting 5-4 to bar New York state from reimposing limits on religious gatherings.

The emergency rulings, issued just before midnight, were the first significant indication of a rightward shift in the court since President Donald Trump’s newest appointee — Justice Amy Coney Barrett — last month filled the seat occupied by liberal Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who died in September.”

[...]

““Stemming the spread of COVID–19 is unquestionably a compelling interest, but it is hard to see how the challenged regulations can be regarded as ‘narrowly tailored,'” the court wrote in an unsigned opinion. “They are far more restrictive than any COVID–related regulations that have previously come before the Court, much tighter than those adopted by many other jurisdictions hard-hit by the pandemic, and far more severe than has been shown to be required to prevent the spread of the virus at the applicants’ services.”“

[...]

“Roberts said the limits on religious activities under “orange” or “red” restrictions in New York may violate the Constitution, but he warned against jumping into that issue when no such limits were currently in effect on the congregations who petitioned the court.“

[...]

“Sotomayor vigorously disputed the contention that the religious groups were being unfairly discriminated against, arguing that comparisons between religious services and liquor or big-box stores were overly facile because the virus-related health risks posed by what people do in those places are starkly different.

“Unlike religious services … bike repair shops and liquor stores generally do not feature customers gathering inside to sing and speak together for an hour or more at a time,” she wrote. “Justices of this Court play a deadly game in second guessing the expert judgment of health officials about the environments in which a contagious virus, now infecting a million Americans each week, spreads most easily.”“

Last edited:
Major shift at Supreme Court on Covid-19 orders

“The Supreme Court signaled a major shift in its approach to coronavirus-related restrictions late Wednesday, voting 5-4 to bar New York state from reimposing limits on religious gatherings.

The emergency rulings, issued just before midnight, were the first significant indication of a rightward shift in the court since President Donald Trump’s newest appointee — Justice Amy Coney Barrett — last month filled the seat occupied by liberal Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who died in September.”

[...]

““Stemming the spread of COVID–19 is unquestionably a compelling interest, but it is hard to see how the challenged regulations can be regarded as ‘narrowly tailored,'” the court wrote in an unsigned opinion. “They are far more restrictive than any COVID–related regulations that have previously come before the Court, much tighter than those adopted by many other jurisdictions hard-hit by the pandemic, and far more severe than has been shown to be required to prevent the spread of the virus at the applicants’ services.”“

[...]

“Roberts said the limits on religious activities under “orange” or “red” restrictions in New York may violate the Constitution, but he warned against jumping into that issue when no such limits were currently in effect on the congregations who petitioned the court.“

[...]

“Unlike religious services … bike repair shops and liquor stores generally do not feature customers gathering inside to sing and speak together for an hour or more at a time,” she wrote. “Justices of this Court play a deadly game in second guessing the expert judgment of health officials about the environments in which a contagious virus, now infecting a million Americans each week, spreads most easily.”“

Regardless of what the Supreme Court debated and the outcome (not that it is not significant during a flippin' pandemic!) ..... it is incredible that religious organisations are petitioning the courts about these matters in the first place.

Are 268,262 deaths and a steadily worsening country-wide plague not significant enough for the religious organisations to play an integral role in encouraging and displaying necessary public health measures??

Are other countries having this same problem?

As far as "Where did we catch it? I don't know. Could've been the gym. Could've been take out. It's impossible to know,", my bet is it was likely at the gym, not takeout - it’s not even a comparison between the two wrt to risk, imo.

We have another covid case that surfaced last night. Take out pizza (same pizza shop as before).

A student got coronavirus ordering a pizza — so why isn't SA back in lockdown?

So that is now two cases, that we know of, that came from one infected pizza shop worker. One case being another worker, one case being this teenage customer.

Last edited:

I did notice that they did what, 3 or 4 episodes just now, and then shut down and said they would return in January. Ummmm, is that his wife on the show his real wife? Looks like her.

Oh, I see @Lilibet has more information above that has more details, thanks.

I did notice that they did what, 3 or 4 episodes just now, and then shut down and said they would return in January. Ummmm, is that his wife on the show his real wife? Looks like her.

Yes, it is his real wife. I imagine they shut down to give them time to recover. He didn’t look well at all and said he’s very weak.

Regardless of what the Supreme Court debated and the outcome (not that it is not significant during a flippin' pandemic!) ..... it is incredible that religious organisations are petitioning the courts about these matters in the first place.

Are 268,262 deaths and a steadily worsening country-wide plague not significant enough for the religious organisations to play an integral role in encouraging and displaying necessary public health measures??

Yes, one would think that religious organizations would “love their neighbor” and not want to do anything to endanger their congregations and others. I suspect that the reduction in contributions has a little something to do with it.

The trouble is, a Supreme Court decision sets a precedent that will have to be followed by lower courts in similar cases.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/11/25/covid-world-reaction-us-thanksgiving/

Foreign observers are watching with trepidation — and at times disbelief — as coronavirus cases surge across the United States, and scores of Americans are choosing to follow through with plans to visit family and friends for this week’s Thanksgiving holiday anyway.

———

‘From Australia, this looks like a mindbogglingly dangerous chapter in the out-of-control American COVID-19 story,” Ian Mackay, an associate professor of virology at the University of Queensland, wrote in an email. “Sadly, for some, this will be a Thanksgiving that is remembered for all the wrong reasons.”

———

International news outlets and foreign journalists are covering Thanksgiving travel in the United States extensively, with a mixture of concern, bewilderment and schadenfreude.

“No nation suffers as much from corona as America — and yet in a few days a large part of the population here will meet to celebrate,” a U.S. correspondent for Germany’s Die Welt newspaper wrote this week.

Yes, one would think that religious organizations would “love their neighbor” and not want to do anything to endanger their congregations and others. I suspect that the reduction in contributions has a little something to do with it.

The trouble is, a Supreme Court decision sets a precedent that will have to be followed by lower courts in similar cases.

3 days ago:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members