Found Deceased IL - Vanessa Ceja Ramirez, 22, murdered, Midlothian, 2 Nov 2020

This isn't directed at you, but I have to say, this is getting ridiculous. If she/they went walking and VR went missing both in Bremen Grove, why would almost every news outlet get this wrong initially and say they were walking in Midlothian Meadows? I mean, that is a huge error.

Bremen Grove isn't even in Midlothian; it's in Oak Forest. If these volunteers are accurate, Midlothian Meadows has very little to do with the actual abduction and where the victim/group was walking. So why wouldn't they specify that when she was initially missing? It's just weird.

Believe it or not, most of the original articles from the very day she went missing said she went missing from "Bremen Wood" and after her body was found many changed this to "last seen in Bremen Grove and body found four miles away in Midlothian Meadows." I'm not a local but I've heard several people involved with this case call Bremen Grove "Bremen Wood" during the last two weeks.

The reporting on this has been muddled from day one, including calling the apartment complex where her phone pinged by the wrong name.

Believe it or not, most of the original articles from the very day she went missing said she went missing from "Bremen Wood" and after her body was found many changed this to "last seen in Bremen Grove and body found four miles away in Midlothian Meadows." I'm not a local but I've heard several people involved with this case call Bremen Grove "Bremen Wood" during the last two weeks.

The reporting on this has been muddled from day one, including calling the apartment complex where her phone pinged by the wrong name.

I mean mistaking words (Wood instead of Grove, etc,) is one thing and somewhat forgivable in my view, but in this specific instance, they're mistaking completely different areas and towns. There's just no excuse for that.

Since we're on the subject and for what it's worth, I am a local -- and even though I didn't post immediately, I have been following the televised news about the case from Day 1 (I habitually watch the 4:30 and 5:00 ABC/NBC news casts). I'm not doubting you but from what I've seen, Bremen Grove was almost mentioned as an after-thought compared to Midlothian Meadows -- that's what's so frustrating to me, if the volunteers are accurate.

I mean mistaking words (Wood instead of Grove, etc,) is one thing and somewhat forgivable in my view, but in this specific instance, they're mistaking completely different areas and towns. There's just no excuse for that.

Since we're on the subject and for what it's worth, I am a local -- and even though I didn't post immediately, I have been following the televised news about the case from Day 1 (I habitually watch the 4:30 and 5:00 ABC/NBC news casts). I'm not doubting you but from what I've seen, Bremen Grove was almost mentioned as an after-thought compared to Midlothian Meadows -- that's what's so frustrating to me, if the volunteers are accurate.

Well, not just volunteers, but her family was saying from the beginning that she was last seen at Bremen Grove. What we didn't know until now is that the family walk began and was also supposed to end there.

The odd thing to me is that her scent was tracked at Midlothian Meadows. I'd be interested how LE got from point A (Bremen Grove) to point B (Midlothian Meadows) if Midlothian Meadows was not originally part of their walk. Why would they even suspect she'd be there as opposed to any of the other parks in the forest reserves? Did the dogs track her scent all the way there from the Bremen Grove parking lot?

Maybe all of this will become clear someday.

I started this thread for Vanessa and tried to bring as much news here as possible. I'll still be hoping and checking for resolution and justice for her but I'm going to bow out of commenting here for now.

Last edited:
When you actually look at the parking lot, Bremen Grove is a lot more concealed than you think. There are parking spaces close to Oak Park Ave that would be visible from the street, but the main part of the parking lot is essentially hidden from the street, as seen here (this is looking toward the entrance and Oak Park Ave): خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

Like I said, there are parking spots right by the entrance, but the thing is, the actual trail into the forest preserve doesn't start until much further into the lot -- so even though we don't know for certain, it's hard for me to imagine that they would park their car so far from the start of the paved trail. Here is where the paved trail starts (on the right where the bicyclist is heading): خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

My point is, assuming their car was parked further into the parking lot, closer to where the trail starts, it would have been well concealed from the main road and from any surrounding businesses.

I started this thread for Vanessa and tried to bring as much news here as possible. I'll still be hoping and checking for resolution and justice for her but I'm going to bow out of commenting here for now.

I hope you don’t bow out for too long, I’ve been following the thread and have really appreciated your posts thank you.

Well, not just volunteers, but her family was saying from the beginning that she was last seen at Bremen Grove. What we didn't know until now is that the family walk began and was also supposed to end there.

The odd thing to me is that her scent was tracked at Midlothian Meadows. I'd be interested how LE got from point A (Bremen Grove) to point B (Midlothian Meadows) if Midlothian Meadows was not originally part of their walk. Why would they even suspect she'd be there as opposed to any of the other parks in the forest reserves? Did the dogs track her scent all the way there from the Bremen Grove parking lot?

Maybe all of this will become clear someday.

You kept this story alive, come back :)

I can't imagine that someone premeditated enough to be walking around with a bottle of accelerant would be so careless as to then take her phone back home with him though one of his associates might. The burned body smacks to me of gang activity although they usually do it in an abandoned building so probably just inspired by gang mode of operation.

I think this was someone who knew her or who picked her up from the park. I think that she was lured back to that apartment which is the location in which she was assaulted (bags containing bedding and rugs and stuff), that's why her phone was on up until that time - she went willingly. I can't imagine that a ping would be accurate enough to identify a specific apartment in an apartment complex so I lean toward the suspect having some established relationship to the victim.

As far as the abundance of strangled sex workers in the Chicagoland area, while it might be accurate to say that one or probably more "serial killers" are operating there, it's more of a social/cultural problem than what you might think of when you think about investigating serial killers and one that requires more of a social/cultural solution than stopping a traditional serial killer.

It also requires legalization of prostitution. These poor women can't even ask for help and are at the mercy of their pimps/drug dealers.

I'm glad there's a thread started for this poor young woman. This IS horrifying.

I first saw her story here: Illinois woman, 22, raped, strangled and set on fire in forest preserve: authorities

I can totally see a scenario where you set out for a walk in a park, then one party, perhaps the younger one, changing their mind and going back to the car to wait. It appears this event happened fast and this person(s) just happened to be there (maybe). Random.

She was strangled, raped and set on fire. According to this article her phone pinged after her disappearance at an apartment complex. My guess, there will be an arrest coming soon. They took her phone but did not think about what LE can do with it. I could speculate either direction on age / younger vs. older.

IMO
WHY are we, the public, able to learn of Vanessa's fate in detail, when we aren't able to learn for example Abby's/Libby's (Delphi) fate? I can't understand the difference.

WHY are we, the public, able to learn of Vanessa's fate in detail, when we aren't able to learn for example Abby's/Libby's (Delphi) fate? I can't understand the difference.

The difference is, in Vanessa's case a community activist who worked with her family when she was missing revealed details to the press. He was saying things prior to the autopsy (she was tortured, her hands were tied, etc). If LE in Cook County had their way, I doubt they would have wanted that information out so soon. I'm guessing, based on the fact that news outlets ran with the information, that Vanessa's autopsy wasn't sealed and they were able to confirm certain details coming out.

Now, how did the activist know these facts? It's possible that the family passed along information to him that LE gave them. It's my opinion, though, that volunteers found Vanessa's body and details were widely shared. I believe this from certain comments from volunteers themselves and from the Midlothian Police announcement that stated "Police were notified that a body was found." If LE search teams found her, I doubt their announcement would have read like that. But this is JMO based on current facts.

In Delphi the information flow from LE was more controlled. The prosecutor immediately made motions to seal their autopsies. Even though civilian search teams also were responsible for finding the victims in Delphi, the parents/guardians have supposedly not been told the cause of death. But, even if more details are known by the families than they admit, in this case they have seemingly bought into the idea that trust in the police process (which is silence/fewer details publically known) will get them justice.

I can’t find the OP. (Was it larger?)

But here is what I noticed.

She was strangled, raped and set on fire

Two days ago, I read about exactly the same succession of events. I don’t remember, where, or what case. Does it ring a bell for someone?

It wasn't a press conference so much as a vigil. It was organized by family but was very well attended by the public and the Midlothian mayor was also there. Multiple Chicago news stations covered it. The article linked by @Falling Down above that talks about the reward increasing again discussed it.
I would hope that anyone flying their drones near those wooded areas have turned their footage over to LE. The victim or murderer could have been randomly captured on one of those.

Nothing much to contribute other than this is really disturbing. Such an innocent thing as "go on have fun, I'll go back to the car," can result in this?? The person even had the time to burn her? This monster needs to be found ASAP. Might be time to wipe us all out at the same time and restart the world fresh.

Still checking and waiting on Cook County LE for any updates. Because they are so quiet, I'm hoping it's a sign that they have a lot to work with.

I would not be surprised to find out that there are multiple perpetrators involved, perhaps even juveniles. Something about the burning nags at me, like possibly that was something the offender (s) returned to the scene of the crime to do. A lot of features of the crime seem risky - the broad daylight, the location her body was left, the burning, the phone. To me it almost seems like something not well thought out, committed by someone very inexperienced, or with more than one person involved and panicking. But really nothing is off the table.

I would hope that anyone flying their drones near those wooded areas have turned their footage over to LE. The victim or murderer could have been randomly captured on one of those.

It’s almost getting to the point where I really don’t care about our rights and freedoms, I want everything recorded on video everywhere, to either prevent murder or solve murder.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla
Back