Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #88

Status
Not open for further replies.
MIS-C

W. MI child’s death linked to COVID-19 | WOODTV.com
Nov. 21, 2020

“GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — A West Michigan child has died from complications thought to be directly related to coronavirus.”

[...]

“Unfortunately, we’ve been seeing cases of MIS-C at Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital. It’s a byproduct of coronavirus that we’re not totally sure of the whole connection,” said Dr. Daniel McGee, pediatric hospitalist.

The hospital says it couldn’t give specifics about the child’s age or when the child died.

However, officials say several children have been admitted to the hospital with MIS-C over the last few months.

“We’ve had at least a few patients hospitalized because of it. In the last week, there were at least two,” he said.““

Mattapoisett boy battles COVID-19 and MIS-C
Nov. 25, 2020

“Dr. Brian Sard, the chair of pediatrics and director of the Boston Children's Hospital program at St. Luke's, said that MIS-C can present itself after acute COVID-19 exposure has passed. In Cooney's case, MIS-C symptoms of fever and rash followed his mild cold symptoms. Sard said that MIS-C can present itself in a constellation of symptoms similar to those in Kawasaki disease such as red eyes, swollen glands, rash, mucositis, swelling of hands or feet and GI problems.

Xifaras, herself a nurse, said a slew of new symptoms appeared over the next few days.

"It's unnerving because this isn't like an ear infection or strep throat where you know what's next," she said. "Every day there is something new."

de07fda9-3d40-4634-a88a-0d5001a106de-Cooney_Family2.jpg

According to Dr. Reynolds, Cooney's fever improved but then spiked again and he developed a severe pain in his left hip. The doctors were worried about toxic synovitis, where the soft tissue of a joint becomes inflamed. Cooney was admitted to Boston Children's Hospital to be further treated. Upon being admitted, he tested negative for COVID-19. As of Monday, it was confirmed by rheumatology that he had a mild case of MIS-C but there is still concern for the residual cardiac effect.“

YOUNG BOY ON THE UP AND UP FOLLOWING SERIOUS HEALTH SCARE - Florida Keys Weekly Newspapers
Nov. 25, 2020

“Before Zane was admitted, no symptoms of COVID-19 were apparent. Three tests performed came back negative. It wasn’t until a 105-degree fever that Leah knew something was seriously wrong.

A positive antibodies test, however, led doctors to the belief that Zane had multisystem inflammatory syndrome, or MIS-C. While some eventually improve with medial care, others get worse — as was the case for Zane. With dips in his condition, from swelling to rash, came improvements, to the point of his release from the hospital on Aug. 4.

Today, Zane’s parents say his health is improving with his organs shrinking and returning to normal. Doctors continue to closely monitor an enlarged left lung artery and a heart murmur he developed through the illness, however.”

[...]

“Zane has faced several life-threatening issues in his young life, as Dr. Stan Zuba said MIS-C attacked the young boy’s body so aggressively that there were times he didn’t know if he was going to pull through. But he did, Zuba says, with outstanding and state-of-the-art care and treatment at Nicklaus Children’s Hospital.“

—-

MIS-C in Atlanta child who had COVID-19 | wtsp.com
Nov. 25, 2020

“The Vasey Family thought they had beaten COVID-19.

It had been a few weeks and they were all feeling great but then Vivian started to get sick again, and they couldn't figure out what was wrong.

"I walk in to her room, and she's in a ball on the floor. And she's like, 'Mommy, my legs don't work. I can't walk,'" said Miranda Vasey.”

[...]

“"MIS-C, we only have data that goes back 10 months. From my understanding, we have only had 15,000 cases. So we don't know what the long-term effects of this will be on our child," she said.

In Georgia, there have been 83 confirmed cases of the disease according to the health department. Nationwide, there have been 20 pediatric deaths.

While the CDC classifies MIS-C as rare, the doctors treating Vivian told her family they're seeing a kid a week show up with symptoms.

"Parents need to know that kids can get really sick. You can't trust people to do the right thing, and if your child gets COVID-19, you need to have MIS-C on your radar, and you need to know that between two to four weeks later your child can get really sick," she said.”
-

MIS-C: What to know about the COVID-19 related illness seen in kids
Nov. 16, 2020

“Twelve-year-old Madilyn Dayton's symptoms began with a headache and body aches.

Two to three days later, she couldn't walk or eat, and rashes appeared all over her body.

Then, she couldn't move at all.

"I remember my mom driving me to the hospital... and then I woke up in the ICU the next morning," she said.“

-

Hudson Asche returns home to recover from MIS-C
Nov. 10, 2020

5fa974511b10d.image.png

Hudson

BBM:
“On Hudson's caringbridge.org page, his mother Dana said he arrived back home last Sunday night, and he is still feeling "very sick and the doctors explained he is not going to just bounce back but it will take weeks to start feeling better, and close to 6 months before he feels back to normal." Dana said COVID and MIS-C have weakened Hudson and he will be going to physical therapy 2 to 3 times a week.“

“News 8: Kids are often thought to be less at risk for developing severe cases of COVID-19, but can you explain how MIS-C impacts into that?
McGee: The majority of children will get through coronavirus just fine. The problem is the ones who get sick, get really sick, and can even die of the infection or some consequences of the infection.

News 8: Does the severity of a child’s COVID-19 infection influence the likelihood of that child contracting MIS-C?
McGee: There’s no data that connects how severe a coronavirus infection is and if the child will get MIS-C. So, it can be kind of random. We don’t have a good explanation as to why some children get it and not others.

News 8: What’s it like treating these patients?
McGee: I’d rather not have to do it. These are children that can get very, very sick and as I’ve said before some of these kids can die. This virus is real. This virus is dangerous. It doesn’t matter whether you’re a child or an adult. So, we all have to be careful to make sure we don’t get it because your child could be the one that suffers from a major consequence.“

[...]

“News 8: Is MIS-C contagious from one person to another?
McGee: No, MIS-C is not in itself contagious. People who have it will not spread it to other people. The coronavirus that seems to trigger it, obviously, that’s contagious.“

W. MI child’s death linked to COVID-19 | WOODTV.com
Nov. 21, 2020

“It’s estimated at the least that more than 1 million children (under the age of 18) in the U.S. are, or have been, infected with COVID-19.

While kids are often reported to have less severe symptoms, Wheeler said that should not give blanket comfort.

“The concern though is there is still a subset of children who go on to develop more severe symptoms and symptoms that require hospitalization,” Wheeler said.

Kids are often believed to transmit COVID-19 at a lesser rate than adults, but Wheeler said it is a risk that remains concerning.

Youth will also be a focal point as pharmaceutical companies get closer to releasing a COVID-19 vaccine.

“We need to make sure we’re paying attention to our pediatric population,” Wheeler said. “We have so much focus on adults getting sick and we need to remember that kids are impacted too. Kids aren’t little adults, kids need their own research, their own data, and we need to be cautious.

"While kids are doing well in general with COVID, there are still some getting really sick and we need to be doing everything we can to protect not only our adult population, but to be protecting our kids as well.”“

Experts Concerned About Florida Spike in Child COVID-19 Cases

Norfolk hospital has treated 7 children for rare coronavirus-linked syndrome
Nov. 15, 2020

“Virginia has reported only 11 cases statewide, most were in the northern region. None of the seven patients treated at Children’s Hospital of The King’s Daughters — the only freestanding pediatric medical facility in the state — are included in that tally, which came to light after inquiries from The Virginian-Pilot.

Most children with MIS-C have a fever lasting several days and symptoms such as irritability, abdominal pain, diarrhea, vomiting, rash, conjunctivitis, lack of appetite, red or cracked lips, red or bumpy tongue or swollen hands and feet. Some medical experts have likened it to other hyperinflammatory conditions, such as Kawasaki disease and toxic shock syndrome.“

[...]

“Nelson Delacruz, an epidemiologist for the state, confirmed the hospital’s cases had been reported. But while public health investigators counted them toward Virginia’s COVID-19 cases, they did not for MIS-C.

That’s because the department did not consider them to meet the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s narrow definition for the syndrome. Delacruz could not elaborate on how the cases differed.“

CDC:

“Clinical Presentation
Patients with MIS-C usually present with persistent fever, abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, skin rash, mucocutaneous lesions and, in severe cases, with hypotension and shock. They have elevated laboratory markers of inflammation (e.g., CRP, ferritin), and in a majority of patients laboratory markers of damage to the heart (e.g., troponin; B-type natriuretic peptide (BNP) or proBNP). Some patients develop myocarditis, cardiac dysfunction, and acute kidney injury. Not all children will have the same signs and symptoms, and some children may have symptoms not listed here. MIS-C may begin weeks after a child is infected with SARS-CoV-2. The child may have been infected from an asymptomatic contact and, in some cases, the child and their caregivers may not even know they had been infected.”

Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children (MIS-C)

“While some cases of the coronavirus tend to be mild for children, more than 1,000 children have developed multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C). It’s a rare but serious complication that can occur after COVID-19 infection.

Four-year-old K.J. Griffin is the first child in the country to receive an experimental treatment for MIS-C. His mom, Talaiyah Stephens, cannot believe she came so close to losing him.”

[...]

“Dr. Allison Eckard, division director of pediatric infectious diseases at Medical University of South Carolina says, “His body was no longer pumping blood effectively to his vital organs, and they were starting to shut down.”

K.J. received high dose steroids, and aspirin, and plasma, as well as other drugs to help prevent blood clots. Doctors determined he was also a candidate for an experimental treatment called Remestemcel-L, which uses donor bone marrow cells to regulate the immune system.

“It acts as if that person is making those cells themselves, and so they circulate in the blood and release anti-inflammatory cytokines,” Dr. Eckard says. “The thought is that not only does it turn down inflammation, but it actually repairs some of the damage that’s been done.”“

Over 1,000 Children Have Developed Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome After Contracting COVID
Nov. 24, 2020

“The data shows a rapid climb in new cases beginning at the end of October. The timing coincides with the transition of the first marking period to the second marking period, and a deadline to when parents had to decide whether to switch between in-person learning and at-home virtual learning.

While school districts have rolled out exhaustive cleaning efforts and procedures to keep contact limited, the question for education and health officials is what impact in-person learning has had on the growing cases.”

Experts Concerned About Florida Spike in Child COVID-19 Cases
Nov. 24, 2020

Last edited:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/11/25/covid-world-reaction-us-thanksgiving/

Foreign observers are watching with trepidation — and at times disbelief — as coronavirus cases surge across the United States, and scores of Americans are choosing to follow through with plans to visit family and friends for this week’s Thanksgiving holiday anyway.

———

‘From Australia, this looks like a mindbogglingly dangerous chapter in the out-of-control American COVID-19 story,” Ian Mackay, an associate professor of virology at the University of Queensland, wrote in an email. “Sadly, for some, this will be a Thanksgiving that is remembered for all the wrong reasons.”

———

International news outlets and foreign journalists are covering Thanksgiving travel in the United States extensively, with a mixture of concern, bewilderment and schadenfreude.

“No nation suffers as much from corona as America — and yet in a few days a large part of the population here will meet to celebrate,” a U.S. correspondent for Germany’s Die Welt newspaper wrote this week.

Our own correspondents though are pretty chipper about the whole thing: yesterday here in the Detroit area, the TV person goes to the airport and says hardly anybody is here--- like they are so disappointed. So I am screaming at the TV- no, they aren't there today, millions of them left yesterday and the day before that to fly to grannie's house--- to bring good cheer, sickness and death---

'Superspreader' 99th birthday party sees ALL 12 guests get COVID — Daily Mail

“The Goldsticker family thought that they were being careful; all either quarantining or taking COVID tests before they traveled to St Louis, Missouri last month.”

*I thought it should be quarantine and test?
Not either or?

“Everyone quarantined ahead of time. My brother and sister-in-law in San Francisco got tested before they got on an airplane.”

*So everyone quarantined and then either flew or drove to St Louis.

“We got very lucky. It's everywhere. You just don't know. So just be smart, be safe and stay healthy.”

**STAY HOME should be the message**

A few million people who traveled by plane missed the message!!!!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/11/25/covid-world-reaction-us-thanksgiving/

Foreign observers are watching with trepidation — and at times disbelief — as coronavirus cases surge across the United States, and scores of Americans are choosing to follow through with plans to visit family and friends for this week’s Thanksgiving holiday anyway.

———

‘From Australia, this looks like a mindbogglingly dangerous chapter in the out-of-control American COVID-19 story,” Ian Mackay, an associate professor of virology at the University of Queensland, wrote in an email. “Sadly, for some, this will be a Thanksgiving that is remembered for all the wrong reasons.”

———

International news outlets and foreign journalists are covering Thanksgiving travel in the United States extensively, with a mixture of concern, bewilderment and schadenfreude.

“No nation suffers as much from corona as America — and yet in a few days a large part of the population here will meet to celebrate,” a U.S. correspondent for Germany’s Die Welt newspaper wrote this week.

Dr. Campbell update covers such in his latest video and states he is concerned with northern hemisphere. He's so proper lol, when he says it will come back to bite you in the ankle (vs. how most say bite you in the a$$)

Here is US vs UK who did shutdown to slow.

drc.JPG

It was interesting that he said he didn’t get it on the set because they followed proper protocols and everyone else was fine. Of course, someone could have been asymptomatic. I think he may have gotten it from his wife if she was the one going to the gym and picking up take-out as mentioned in the People Mag article. Or it could be a mystery. If my dh and I got it I’d be hard pressed to figure out where. I never leave our apartment and he is so careful...he even carried groceries up three flights of stairs tonight because someone got out of the elevator not wearing a mask! But it can happen and quite frankly, it terrifies me.
I think the disconnect is their personal protocol. Their level of carefulness appears to be different since she mentioned the gym.

It would not include going to my gym because that’s a high risk activity here.

She could be hard pressed to figure out where the contact was because she had been to several different places.
JMO

Last edited:
Yes, one would think that religious organizations would “love their neighbor” and not want to do anything to endanger their congregations and others. I suspect that the reduction in contributions has a little something to do with it.

The trouble is, a Supreme Court decision sets a precedent that will have to be followed by lower courts in similar cases.
And the super spreading continues with large Thanksgiving Day services. Elbow to elbow with lots of contact and singing.
Potluck buffet afterwards.
Boggles the mind.

Not Dr. Sehult, but his cofounder at MedCram is interviewing Dr. Mina from Harvard who wayyyyy back who began discussions here of rapid home testing. He's doing an update 4 months after his first interview. It's a REALLY long interview, but it has bullets under the video for folks that only can browse and don't have time to view it all.

For those that really want to follow, I highly suggest to listen the entire video, as I've had to listen to parts twice now to understand.

I found very interesting his comments on the only FDA rapid test by Lucira we heard about last week at 12:07.

ETA: I saw a comment ??somewhere?? that folks need to quit listening to things for affirmation of their beliefs, but listen to expand their knowledge. This is why I love WS as it has opened my mind to so much and have done a 180 on so many things by just listening to others and really digging into what they are saying to understand and learn.

Giving THANKS TODAY TO ALL MY WS FAMILY! Happy Thanksgiving to all of you for joining in this journey.

Last edited:
I wish people would use their travel money to donate to the hospital workers as a gift or to a food pantry or place where it is needed. To celebrate at home is more than many people have right now. Doesn't it cross ones mind how some will be in not so good condition? I would feel selfish and wish I could give.

South Dakota:

S.D. tribes say they're 'trapped in a house on fire' — fighting Covid while governor lets it rage

Governor Noem has also criticized the checkpoints set up by the Cheyenne River Sioux, as well as other Native American tribes in the state. In May, she asked the Trump administration to help intervene in a compromise to allow checkpoints on tribal roads but not state and federal ones within reservations.

Tribal members and other Indigenous-led groups in South Dakota say the lack of sweeping action — and the overt displays of opposition — on the part of state and some local officials stand to undermine their tribal sovereignty and attempts to protect their people during an intensifying public health crisis.

As deaths spiral, South Dakota governor opposes mask rules

The governor’s spokeswoman Maggie Seidel pushed back against arguments by public health experts that a mask mandate would dramatically reduce the spread of the virus, pointing out that states like Illinois, Minnesota and Wisconsin have also experienced significant virus waves despite having strict mandates to wear face coverings.

“The facts are simple: mask mandates, harsh lockdowns, massive testing and contact tracing haven’t worked – in the United States or abroad,” Seidel wrote in an email.

South Dakota State News Home
South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem:

In South Dakota, we won’t stop or discourage you from thanking God and spending time together this Thanksgiving. I’d like to take this opportunity to remind you why we haven’t taken certain actions here in South Dakota.

Your friends and family in other states might be living through renewed lockdowns or shelter-in-place orders. They may be mandated to wear masks. Here in South Dakota, we took a different path.

The truth is, there is no science to support the claim that lockdowns stop the spread of the virus. The virus will spread – we cannot stop it until there is a cure – but we can slow it down with mitigation measures. Not even mask mandates have stopped cases from rising in communities.

On the other hand, such actions can devastate our livelihoods and our ability to provide for our families. In South Dakota, we’ve fought the virus while still allowing you to put food on the table and keep a roof over your head.

Wow - with a governor and "spokeswoman" like that, I'm glad I don't live in South Dakota! Yikes. One more thing to be thankful for on this American day of Thanksgiving.

Last edited:
Thank you. What a wonderful song. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

I think it is the MOST beautiful song of 2020. I had no idea who this artist was until I saw this and when I first reposted in early April.. as I followed COVID stuff as to music in March/April.

He is soooooooooooooooooo talented.

Each time I listen to it... I tear and/or cry. And I sing along.... It is so so so moving to me.

I hope he wins some type of recognition for such as he was one of the first to do a song for COVID frontline, and is still the standard. MOO

I don't know how music awards are.. that he didn't *sell this* to get numbers.. he gave it away. Perhaps like Governor Cuomo, (who just received an EMMY award for his daily COVID breifings!).. the awards folks will give recognition as to "outside the box" of what is the norm for their awards as it was not sold.

Reposting...hoping it goes viral today.... and it's so perfect to share on this day of Thankgiving MOO

Last edited:
Older people who want an early Covid-19 vaccine might not get one as quickly as they'd like

Am I jaded and cynical to believe that the rich and powerful will be first in line for the vaccine? That an elderly, poor, disabled veteran will be very far down on the list? The VA, the largest health care system in the United States, doesn't even have a plan to roll out this vaccine.
Tester, Colleagues press VA on COVID-19 vaccine distribution plan for veterans and staff

VA plans for vaccine distribution unclear as coronavirus cases continue to climb

Older people who want an early Covid-19 vaccine might not get one as quickly as they'd like

Am I jaded and cynical to believe that the rich and powerful will be first in line for the vaccine? That an elderly, poor, disabled veteran will be very far down on the list? The VA, the largest health care system in the United States, doesn't even have a plan to roll out this vaccine.
Tester, Colleagues press VA on COVID-19 vaccine distribution plan for veterans and staff

VA plans for vaccine distribution unclear as coronavirus cases continue to climb

@mickey2942 .. that does happen. Perhaps, for few? Yeah... a la Christie and Trump who got such?

Yet there is a distributions schedule which I posted upthread, did you see such or do I need to repost as to the priorities?

brb to do an ETA and repost if I can find in between cooking...

ETA #1: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/imz-ma...D-19-Vaccination-Program-Interim_Playbook.pdf

Last edited:
Today's Dr. Campbell video. He's talking about just 42 people in US have flu this past week, which is very low as it's impacting. In this past week, only ONE diagnosis of flu in UK.. which he says is incredible. And then he talks about common cold in UK. Much more at link.

@dixiegirl1035 yeah. I see the "priorities". Now, let's talk about the "reality" of the health care system in the United States.

Queue it up as to what are you wanting to talk about in this discussion thread?

Are you wanting to take a discussion up of what was in the post I linked as to US gov'mt/CDC draft? (or speak to what Cuomo has said?)

Last edited:
Bus.....tour???!!! :confused:o_O:(:mad:

I’m trying to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Far More Doses of COVID Vaccine Than Expected May Be Available in Mass. By Year-End
Boston’s numbers dipped a bit this week. Central mass not so great. RI and CT also not great I think?

Man dies after positive COVID-19 test, went on bus tour 10 days earlier

“North Carolina tour bus company --possibly linked to an outbreak of COVID-19 and one death. This seven-day trip included hotel stays, restaurant stops, and indoor tourist attractions.”

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member