New interview with FBI profiler John Douglas

Interesting interview.
I've always been a bit of a fan of Douglas and his work, but his position on this case has always sat badly with me.

None of us are experts here and of course, sometimes the experts get it wrong, but if he had come out and said the parents were involved, it would have made my belief in my position that much stronger. He doesn't and so I've always got that irritating niggle in the back of my mind.

This is probably why it's good never to surround yourself with 'yes men' I suppose. Doubt is good. It forces us to look closer and as said, don't let a theory guide the investigation.

Pesky John Douglas!

It's one thing to be biased. Everyone has biases. It's another thing to propagate misinformation on an important topic. In a book, no less.

Douglas mentions handwriting experts at various points in the book. He seems to respect the profession; he doesn't dismiss it out of hand. He had a responsibility to present the Ramsey handwriting evidence accurately.

“No link, No post”.

A proper link to quoted material or information stated as fact is required so that members can click the link and go directly to information. If the appropriate active link is not provided, the post and all responses stemming from it get removed.

This thread is to discuss the podcast itself. If members wish to debate extensively over one issue, please take it into private messaging or set up a separate thread strictly for more detailed discussion on that particular topic.

Thank you.

It's one thing to be biased. Everyone has biases. It's another thing to propagate misinformation on an important topic. In a book, no less.

Douglas mentions handwriting experts at various points in the book. He seems to respect the profession; he doesn't dismiss it out of hand. He had a responsibility to present the Ramsey handwriting evidence accurately.

fr brown,
John Douglas gets paid for his Expert Opinion, so it's not simply all bias.

Presumably the podcast mentions his new book The Killer's Shadow: The FBI's Hunt for a White Supremacist Serial Killer by John E. Douglas, Mark Olshaker?

Is the podcast product placement or what?

https://www.amazon.ca/Killers-Shadow-Supremacist-Serial-Killer/dp/0062979760

There's a 'look inside' option.

ETA wrt podcast.
The portion on JBR was to script?, UK.
Or was it just the sense of familiarity wrt RDI key points.

Tadpole12,
Most likely a bit of both, i.e. script plus repetition from memory.

I have a copy of the book.

JonBenet is only mentioned once, e.g.

The Killers Shadow The FBIs Hunt for a White Supremacist Serial Killer (Cases of the FBIs Original Mindhunter) by John E. Douglas Mark Olshaker, Excerpt
JOHN DOUGLAS is a former FBI special agent, the bureau’s criminal profiling pioneer, founding chief of the Investigative Support Unit at the FBI Academy in Quantico, Virginia, and one of the creators of the Crime Classification Manual.

He has hunted some of the most notorious and sadistic criminals of our time, including the Trailside Killer in San Francisco, the Atlanta Child Murderer, the Tylenol Poisoner, the Unabomber, the man who hunted prostitutes for sport in the woods of Alaska, and Seattle’s Green River killer, the case that nearly ended his own life. He holds a doctor of education degree, based on comparing methods of classifying violent crimes for law enforcement personnel.

Today, he is a widely sought-after speaker and expert on criminal investigative analysis, having consulted on the JonBenet Ramsey murder, the civil case against O. J. Simpson, and the exoneration efforts for the West Memphis Three and Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito. Douglas is the author, with Mark Olshaker, of seven previous books, including Mindhunter, the Number 1 New York Times bestseller that is the basis for the hit Netflix series.

It's a well written book, if you really like this kind of genre, it's full of Quantico snippets and references to criminal behavior, etc.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back