Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe they were already dead, so kneeling or crouching isn't going to happen.

If one is kneeling, its almost impossible to 'lean back and put your legs out front'. You are either kneeling or you have leg mobility, not both/alternating.

If you try it, please let us know how it goes?

I already said that it likely didnt happen that way. I was just pointing out how they could have gotten into that position from a previous post that questioned how that could have happened. We will just agree to disagree- I can easily crouch or squat and lean/sit backwards and my legs end up out front- especially if my neck is held so I dont topple over..

I believe they were already dead, so kneeling or crouching isn't going to happen.

If one is kneeling, its almost impossible to 'lean back and put your legs out front'. You are either kneeling or you have leg mobility, not both/alternating.

If you try it, please let us know how it goes?

I already said that it likely didnt happen that way. I was just pointing out how they could have gotten into that position from a previous post that questioned how that could have happened. We will just agree to disagree- I can easily crouch or squat and lean/sit backwards and my legs end up out front- especially if my neck is held so I dont topple over.
ARGGH. How can a journalist function without the ability to read and write in the past tense!

The news release did not state they currently have numerous persons of interest, right now. It said they have had (past and present over the course of the case) numerous persons of interest. We don't know how many persons of interest they have right now but days ago they said they had "a", ie one.

We see right there, plain as day, how KD is twisting the detective's words, it's like an automatic reflex.

Toronto Police Service :: News Release #48640

what a sh#t show. For sure they don’t want to let detective Price get anywhere near a live microphone.

Last edited:
ARGGH. How can a journalist function without the ability to read and write in the past tense!

The news release did not state they currently have numerous persons of interest, right now. It said they have had (past and present over the course of the case) numerous persons of interest. We don't know how many persons of interest they have right now but days ago they said they had "a", ie one.

We see right there, plain as day, how KD is twisting the detective's words, it's like an automatic reflex.

You have a keen eye Satchie. KD did seem to twist the words on this news release by ignoring the grammatical tense of the message. It is so blatant that it surprises me because KD is not that stupid.

What I also find interesting is that Det. Sgt. Price is deemed as "backtracking" (the term used on various media articles in response to his statement) on the recent confirmation of two TPS spokespersons who confirmed that a person of interest has been identified but not arrested. (see below).

My understanding (all WS members) has always been that a POI only becomes a suspect when enough credible evidence points toward him, but the line between POI and suspect seems to be blurred in this case. Det. Sgt. Price attempts to make this point, but doesn't specifically address the key words that have blurred the line--an "identified" POI, who "hasn't been arrested" yet--words made by his spokespersons.

The official TPS confirmations from two spokespersons and Price's later clarification may be a case of trying to close the barn door after the cows got out, or a well thought out and planned police tactic. I can't fathom that a police spokesperson wouldn't be advised what to say to the press in a case of this magnitude, let alone two saying the same thing. jmo

Det. Sgt. Price:
"In fairness to the friends and family of Barry and Honey Sherman, I would like to offer a clarification".
( I can imagine that they were shocked to read that a POI was identified but not arrested.)

In the interest of protecting the integrity of this investigation, the Toronto Police Service Homicide Squad is not in a position to confirm if a suspect or suspects have been identified."
(This makes senses--so why would TPS spokespersons confirm that they had identified a POI who hasn't been arrested)

CTV:
A person of interest has been identified in the murders of billionaire couple Barry and Honey Sherman, the Toronto Police Service confirmed to CTV News Toronto on Wednesday. The Toronto Police Service can confirm that a person of interest has been identified but not arrested,” Const. Alex Li said in a statement. (Alex Li is a TPS corporate communication officer)
Person of interest identified in murders of Barry and Honey Sherman, Toronto police confirm

Toronto Star:

“The Toronto Police Service can confirm that a person of interest has been identified but not arrested,” spokeswoman Jenifferjit Sidhu said by email. She did not give more details.”.....

Homicide detectives have a ‘person of interest’ in the Barry and Honey Sherman murder investigation

You have a keen eye Satchie. KD did seem to twist the words on this news release by ignoring the grammatical tense of the message. It is so blatant that it surprises me because KD is not that stupid.

What I also find interesting is that Det. Sgt. Price is deemed as "backtracking" (the term used on various media articles in response to his statement) on the recent confirmation of two TPS spokespersons who confirmed that a person of interest has been identified but not arrested. (see below).

My understanding (all WS members) has always been that a POI only becomes a suspect when enough credible evidence points toward him, but the line between POI and suspect seems to be blurred in this case. Det. Sgt. Price attempts to make this point, but doesn't specifically address the key words that have blurred the line--an "identified" POI, who "hasn't been arrested" yet--words made by his spokespersons.

The official TPS confirmations from two spokespersons and Price's later clarification may be a case of trying to close the barn door after the cows got out, or a well thought out and planned police tactic. I can't fathom that a police spokesperson wouldn't be advised what to say to the press in a case of this magnitude, let alone two saying the same thing. jmo

Det. Sgt. Price:
"In fairness to the friends and family of Barry and Honey Sherman, I would like to offer a clarification".
( I can imagine that they were shocked to read that a POI was identified but not arrested.)

In the interest of protecting the integrity of this investigation, the Toronto Police Service Homicide Squad is not in a position to confirm if a suspect or suspects have been identified."
(This makes senses--so why would TPS spokespersons confirm that they had identified a POI who hasn't been arrested)

CTV:
A person of interest has been identified in the murders of billionaire couple Barry and Honey Sherman, the Toronto Police Service confirmed to CTV News Toronto on Wednesday. The Toronto Police Service can confirm that a person of interest has been identified but not arrested,” Const. Alex Li said in a statement. (Alex Li is a TPS corporate communication officer)
Person of interest identified in murders of Barry and Honey Sherman, Toronto police confirm

Toronto Star:

“The Toronto Police Service can confirm that a person of interest has been identified but not arrested,” spokeswoman Jenifferjit Sidhu said by email. She did not give more details.”.....

Homicide detectives have a ‘person of interest’ in the Barry and Honey Sherman murder investigation

It reminds me of how LE handled the NS shootings; a local posted pics of the shooter's body at the gas station before the RCMP announced that they had a suspect in custody. Before holding a presser, LE need to get the story straight.

Satchie, both the police release and the KD article say that numerous persons of interest have been, and continue to be (present tense) investigated in this case. It is clear to me that they stated that they currently have numerous persons of interest. I don’t see how KD has in any way twisted these words in his article. Can you help me understand what you are referring to?

RSBM

CTV:

Toronto Star:
And I'm pretty sure that KD didn't pick his words out of the sky when he also reported same from Det. Yim, so that makes at least 3 TPS spokespersons who said same:

“It could compromise the investigation if the perpetrator knew they were identified. It could precipitate flight, they could take steps to get rid of evidence, frustrate our investigation,” said homicide Det. Const. Dennis Yim, the only full-time investigator on the Sherman case.

Last edited:
Since when do police elaborate on a clarification made to 3 separate police spokespersons' same comments in regard to having identified but not arrested a POI, that the clarification is being made "in fairness to the friends and family of Barry and Honey Sherman"? Why not just a clarification, period?

Yes, good examples and another, the privacy of a home also allows time for a killer to plant items or fictitious documents intended to misdirect the investigation and possibly incriminate innocent people.

Your example could be another reason the Coroner was awaiting toxicology results in order to complete the autopsy, prior to the official determination of targeted double homicide. Aside from Barry’s lifelong association to pharmaceuticals and in addition to prescribed medications, it’d be important to know what drugs were present in their bodies at the time of death.

We have (collectively) wondered what it was about the crimescene that made police automatically assume on day#1 that it was a M/S (at least it seems to be the general consensus that they believed that to be true).. we wondered if perhaps a suicide note had been left (that the public is not aware of), or some other evidence. The post about planting items has made me wonder if perhaps there was a bottle of some kind of medication found at the scene or in Barry's clothing that could have indicated the couple may have taken some pharmaceuticals prior to the 'event'. If police had found an indication of that at the scene, which could have been planted there by the killer(s), that would surely led to their thinking. As it turned out, weeks later I believe, they received a toxicology report stating there was nothing unusual in their systems, but they wouldn't have known that on day#1 at the scene. I wonder if the speculation of there possibly having been drugs ingested and then finding out there were none, even though perhaps there may have been indications at the scene, helped TPS form their determination of double homicide. I'm not sure how long those tox reports took. imo.

Given that Barry ran Apotex, which made drugs, the police mused that they would need to determine what kind of “medications and chemicals” Barry had access to, including in the small test lab he had in a small area between his own office and Jack Kay’s office. Police say they want to compare any drugs found there with toxicology results from the autopsy.

(As with many things in the police documents, it is clear what they are searching for but the police do not often report in a later document what, if anything, they found. Separately, the Star has reported that following the second set of autopsies organized by the Sherman family, no unusual or life threatening drugs were found in their bodies.)

‘Someone has killed my clients’: Newly released documents detail the day Barry and Honey Sherman were found dead, and what police did after

Yes, good examples and another, the privacy of a home also allows time for a killer to plant items or fictitious documents intended to misdirect the investigation and possibly incriminate innocent people.
And also time to search for a document that the killer(s) may not have wanted to be found, and removed it. imo.

And also time to search for a document that the killer(s) may not have wanted to be found, and removed it. imo.

As it seems the murderer staged the bodies to appear as a M/S, I really do think it’s highly possible a confession, forged or typed, was fabricated to make it appear Barry admitted to the murder of his wife and possibly other sins before taking his own life, found at the crime scene. That would also explain the TPS leak early on from an officer who was aware of the writings.

Media report have declared no suicide note was found which is factually correct as Barry didn’t die by suicide nor did he write it. TPS would never disclose such a document exists because the fabrication would be vital evidence in a proving murder occurred.

I don’t know why I strongly believe this, other than it appears the killer went to great lengths to hide a double homicide. Suicide notes and/or confessions written prior to death are perceived to offer supportive detail and additional proof of the acts of the deceased.

JMO

Last edited:
As it seems the murderer staged the bodies to appear as a M/S, I really do think it’s highly possible a confession, forged or typed, was fabricated to make it appear Barry admitted to the murder of his wife and possibly other sins before taking his own life, found at the crime scene. That would also explain the TPS leak early on from an officer who was aware of the writings.

Media report have declared no suicide note was found which is factually correct as Barry didn’t die by suicide nor did he write it. TPS would never disclose such a document exists because the fabrication would be vital evidence in a proving murder occurred.

I don’t know why I strongly believe this, other than it appears the killer went to great lengths to hide a double homicide. Suicide notes and/or confessions written prior to death are perceived to offer supportive detail and additional proof of the acts of the deceased.

JMO
Interesting. Do you have a link re the leak about the crime scene writings? Not doubting you, just want to read more. TIA.

Interesting. Do you have a link re the leak about the crime scene writings? Not doubting you, just want to read more. TIA.

The link I was referring to is only the “police source” who claimed a m/s occurred. I believe that was two days following the discovery of the bodies. Perhaps this TPS source was aware of a suicide note or confessional-type writings found at the crime scene that day - just speculating because that’s one reason what initially appeared to be a double execution could suddenly be perceived differently, as a m/s.

Edit - same day, Dec 15th

WARMINGTON: Did cops mislead, bungle or capitulate in Sherman 'murder' probe? | Toronto Sun
“They were executed!

That was the lede of the column written Dec. 15, 2017, on the strange deaths of Honey and Barry Sherman.

I was about to push the send button when Toronto Police sources said it was wrong.

“It was not a double murder,” said one cop. “It’s a murder-suicide, with him killing her, dragging her body to the pool, hanging it and then hanging himself.”....”

Last edited:
We have (collectively) wondered what it was about the crimescene that made police automatically assume on day#1 that it was a M/S (at least it seems to be the general consensus that they believed that to be true).. we wondered if perhaps a suicide note had been left (that the public is not aware of), or some other evidence. The post about planting items has made me wonder if perhaps there was a bottle of some kind of medication found at the scene or in Barry's clothing that could have indicated the couple may have taken some pharmaceuticals prior to the 'event'. If police had found an indication of that at the scene, which could have been planted there by the killer(s), that would surely led to their thinking. As it turned out, weeks later I believe, they received a toxicology report stating there was nothing unusual in their systems, but they wouldn't have known that on day#1 at the scene. I wonder if the speculation of there possibly having been drugs ingested and then finding out there were none, even though perhaps there may have been indications at the scene, helped TPS form their determination of double homicide. I'm not sure how long those tox reports took. imo.

Given that Barry ran Apotex, which made drugs, the police mused that they would need to determine what kind of “medications and chemicals” Barry had access to, including in the small test lab he had in a small area between his own office and Jack Kay’s office. Police say they want to compare any drugs found there with toxicology results from the autopsy.

(As with many things in the police documents, it is clear what they are searching for but the police do not often report in a later document what, if anything, they found. Separately, the Star has reported that following the second set of autopsies organized by the Sherman family, no unusual or life threatening drugs were found in their bodies.)

‘Someone has killed my clients’: Newly released documents detail the day Barry and Honey Sherman were found dead, and what police did after

If the killers wanted to make it look like drugs were involved I think they could have just forced them to take some drugs before death, or put drugs into their mouths after death.

And I'm pretty sure that KD didn't pick his words out of the sky when he also reported same from Det. Yim, so that makes at least 3 TPS spokespersons who said same:

“It could compromise the investigation if the perpetrator knew they were identified. It could precipitate flight, they could take steps to get rid of evidence, frustrate our investigation,” said homicide Det. Const. Dennis Yim, the only full-time investigator on the Sherman case.

Blank

JMO
Yes, I believe you have suspected the presence of a note all along. And that would certainly explain why police were thinking the way that they were on day#1 and seemed to pursue such an angle for awhile. I thought that idea had been ruled out, however I don't remember where exactly that info came from. Unless TPS said it, then nobody else should really be aware of it. TPS was not sharing their investigative results with media, nor with
the private detectives. Not sure if they would share that intimate detail with immediate family under the circumstances of a 'suspicious' death. I have to admit that I would be devastated if I were the immediate family and police never mentioned the finding of a note for several years.

If the killers wanted to make it look like drugs were involved I think they could have just forced them to take some drugs before death, or put drugs into their mouths after death.
Yes, true.

Another thing which is curious to me, is the press release issued by TPS. How often do they say that a PR is being sent on behalf of a certain detective, as opposed to simply by TPS? All of the various PRs indicate the communications person who sent them , for a given officer or department (at the bottoms).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken