Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine

Status
Not open for further replies.
This looks good. Do you think it would work with pears? Was going to make a crumble tomorrow with some I need to use up.
I think it would. They are both the same texture. There seems to be too much toppings g to me and I cut the sugar back by a few tablespoons. I also added more cinnamon because GF flour is bland. It’s made from beans and we are allergic to nuts. So no nut flours can be used.

Attachments

• A32E185C-F31F-4CF3-B131-913FECEA8BD4.jpeg
    A32E185C-F31F-4CF3-B131-913FECEA8BD4.jpeg
    160.1 KB · Views: 28
I think it would. They are both the same texture. There seems to be too much toppings g to me and I cut the sugar back by a few tablespoons. I also added more cinnamon because GF flour is bland. It’s made from beans and we are allergic to nuts. So no nut flours can be used.
I might give it a go tomorrow. Having a long covid kind of day, so resting up at the mo. Let you know, thanks for the tips

Decided to pop this in the oven before I go to the beach. GF, DF, EF, NF.

It called for 10 Italian plums. I have regular plums. I used 4-5 of them. Hopefully it will turn out tasty. Youngest will stop by on her way to work to pick up some. I’ll take some to the beach for my oldest.

Payroll, what is EF? I had assumed it meant egg-free, but I see egg in this recipe. I'm blanking on what else starts with E :p

Payroll, what is EF? I had assumed it meant egg-free, but I see egg in this recipe. I'm blanking on what else starts with E :p

I'm learning, never knew about all these allergies until the past decade. But agree, that recipe had 2 eggs... Perhaps OP is striving for all, but one is ok?

Pumpkies - GF, DF, EF, NF - Worth Cooking

Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Nut Free, Soy Free, Egg Free are popular these days.

Vickys Sweet Waffles, GF DF EF SF NF Recipe by Vicky@Jacks Free-From Cookbook

free from gluten, dairy, eggs, soy and most are peanut and tree nut-free too.

GF DF EF SF NF

Funny you should ask, BDE. We took a trip to Napa about 10 years ago for our anniversary. We brought back several bottles of wine and open them on special occasions. We opened up a 2008 Keenan Merlot. Keenan is a small winery in St. Helena. I often think about all of the small batch, back road wineries we visited. Mostly family run. Covid must really be hurting them as they are not typically wines that sell in stores. They rely heavily on winery tours that I am sure are not taking place.

DH and I did something similar following an anniversary trip to Niagara Falls. On our return trip to Michigan, we visited several small wineries in the Niagara region of Ontario. According to a brochure with a map of all the wineries in the region, we could bring a case (12 bottles) of assorted wines back to the U.S. Some of the wineries offered tours of their winemaking facilities and actual tasting rooms, while at a couple of the smaller vineyards, we were invited into their homes for a glass of their latest vintage. One woman had baked chocolate chip cookies when she knew we were coming :)

The concierge at the hotel where we stayed in Niagara Falls recommended wineries that he had visited and even made reservations for us at a few of them. We started off at a lovely winery that served brunch in a beautiful room overlooking the vineyard. Some of the wines were wonderful; others, not so much. Wines from the Niagara region of Ontario (and New York) are quite similar to Michigan wines. The growing seasons are much shorter than those of California, Oregon, and Washington, so the Niagara and Michigan wines don't have the bold, full-bodied flavors of west coast wines, but they are delightfully light and crisp.

Last edited:
DH and I did something similar following an anniversary trip to Niagara Falls. On our return trip to Michigan, we visited several small wineries in the Niagara region of Ontario. According to a brochure with a map of all the wineries in the region, we could bring a case (12 bottles) of assorted wines back to the U.S. Some of the wineries offered tours of the winemaking facilities and actual tasting rooms, while a couple of the smaller vineyards invited us into their homes for a glass of their latest vintage. One woman had baked chocolate chip cookies when she knew we were coming :)

The concierge at the hotel where we stayed in Niagara Falls recommended wineries that he had visited and even made reservations for us at a few of them. We started off at a lovely winery that served brunch in a beautiful room overlooking the vineyard. Some of the wines were wonderful; others, not so much. Wines from the Niagara region of Ontario (and New York) are quite similar to Michigan wines. The growing seasons are much shorter than those of California, Oregon, and Washington, so the Niagara and Michigan wines don't have the bold, full-bodied flavors of west coast wines, but they are delightfully light and crisp.

That sounds like a wonderful anniversary trip! DH is from Oregon and he would love for us to do this in Oregon, where there are many wonderful wineries. He has relatives and friends there to see, and we love to visit the coast too. Maybe we can start planning for a trip as early as next summer... If we are able to get vaccinated in the spring, who knows, it might be feasible!

Thank you all for sharing your Covid Thanksgiving Meals and meal planning. I enjoyed hearing about what everyone was doing from around the world. Here is a pic of our table yesterday. Just Mr. Pirate and I. We had vegan field roast ( grains and veggies made into a loaf with puff pastry on the outside), mashed potatoes, mushroom gravy, cranberries, sautéed spinach, basic stuffing and rolls. That is what is on the dinner table. Before dinner we watched our beloved Lions blow another Thanksgiving day game with a couple of local IPA's, a vegetable and cracker platter and mixed nuts. It was a lovey day but we missed our big family dearly.

O/T. Breaking News! Head Coach Patricia and General Manager Quinn of the Lions have both been fired! Now, we need to get rid of Harbaugh so the Michigan Wolverines can start winning some games.

Detroit Lions fire head coach Matt Patricia, GM Bob Quinn after Thanksgiving loss (clickondetroit.com)

After three disastrous seasons, Lions fire GM Bob Quinn, coach Matt Patricia (detroitnews.com)

Last edited:
I'm learning, never knew about all these allergies until the past decade. But agree, that recipe had 2 eggs... Perhaps OP is striving for all, but one is ok?

Pumpkies - GF, DF, EF, NF - Worth Cooking

Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Nut Free, Soy Free, Egg Free are popular these days.

Vickys Sweet Waffles, GF DF EF SF NF Recipe by Vicky@Jacks Free-From Cookbook

free from gluten, dairy, eggs, soy and most are peanut and tree nut-free too.

GF DF EF SF NF
Food allergies suck. I have 27 but it is actually easier to feed me because I’m not allergic to wheat, eggs or dairy. Some of mine are weird like ginger and some are deadly like melons. I’m the one carrying the epi pen.

My oldest is allergic to wheat, molds and bananas. She tolerates dairy but has not been officially tested in years. She seems to have gotten lucky.

Now my youngest, holy smokes it’s hard to feed her. Her allergies are the basic components of everything. Wheat, eggs, all cows milk products which eliminates dairy items, sesame, hazelnuts, almonds, peanuts, molds (mushrooms & blue cheese) and probably more stuff I can’t remember. Essentially, if it is safe for her to eat what I make, it is safe for the rest of us.

On this Plum Tart recipe, I used Bob’s 1 to 1 gluten free flour and the egg replacer. I used Country Crock Plant Butter in stick form that is olive oil based. There are a few other versions but we don’t know if I can use them. I think one is avocado based. So we stick with what we know is safe.

Now that I’ve tasted this recipe, I’m definitely cutting the sugar in the topping to 1/2 cup. It is too sweet! In the crust I added almost a teaspoon of cinnamon. In the topping, I used a teaspoon. It is tasty for sure.

Food allergies suck. I have 27 but it is actually easier to feed me because I’m not allergic to wheat, eggs or dairy. Some of mine are weird like ginger and some are deadly like melons. I’m the one carrying the epi pen.

My oldest is allergic to wheat, molds and bananas. She tolerates dairy but has not been officially tested in years. She seems to have gotten lucky.

Now my youngest, holy smokes it’s hard to feed her. Her allergies are the basic components of everything. Wheat, eggs, all cows milk products which eliminates dairy items, sesame, hazelnuts, almonds, peanuts, molds (mushrooms & blue cheese) and probably more stuff I can’t remember. Essentially, if it is safe for her to eat what I make, it is safe for the rest of us.

On this Plum Tart recipe, I used Bob’s 1 to 1 gluten free flour and the egg replacer. I used Country Crock Plant Butter in stick form that is olive oil based. There are a few other versions but we don’t know if I can use them. I think one is avocado based. So we stick with what we know is safe.

Now that I’ve tasted this recipe, I’m definitely cutting the sugar in the topping to 1/2 cup. It is too sweet! In the crust I added almost a teaspoon of cinnamon. In the topping, I used a teaspoon. It is tasty for sure.

Are you sure you are all terrestrial?

I'm with most here in that my sweet potato casserole was just tooooo sweet this year. Too much sugar in the base and the brown sugar topping. Next time... just will cook the potatoes and serve them whole with cinnamon and a pat of butter. Or perhaps sweet potato casserole is now to be considered a dessert.

I'm with most here in that my sweet potato casserole was just tooooo sweet this year. Too much sugar in the base and the brown sugar topping. Next time... just will cook the potatoes and serve them whole with cinnamon and a pat of butter. Or perhaps sweet potato casserole is now to be considered a dessert.
I love baked sweet potatoes with only butter.

I ordered one once at a Texas Roadhouse. The server asked what “toppings” I wanted, I told him just butter. He seemed surprised, and told me that it is very popular at Texas Roadhouse to top baked sweet potatoes with butter, cinnamon, brown sugar, caramel ice cream syrup and marshmallow cream. :eek:

I ordered one once at a Texas Roadhouse. The server asked what “toppings” I wanted, I told him just butter. He seemed surprised, and told me that it is very popular at Texas Roadhouse to top baked sweet potatoes with butter, cinnamon, brown sugar, caramel ice cream syrup and marshmallow cream. :eek:

Yup that's dessert!

:eek: Oh my gosh!!
That would be too much for me.
Just butter is yummy.

The old-fashioned sweet potato casserole with marshmallows on top was very dessert-like, IMO. But I was a picky eater as a child, and that version got me to eat sweet potatoes.

Now I usually cook the sweet potatoes (bake, boil, or microwave), peel and mash with butter. Then I mix in some of my homemade applesauce, which has brown sugar as needed to sweeten it (more sugar if apples are tart). If more spice is needed, I add some pumpkin pie spice. Sometimes a dollop of maple syrup. I think I could use it as pie filling but haven't tried that.

Really fascinated by the sweet potato stories. Over here we are very boring with them. Usually we cut them up and roast them until they go kind of caramelised just seasoned with salt and pepper. Or mash with butter. Mine often end up in soup.

My son is going to be all over the marshmallow recipes. He has a v sweet tooth! For some reason we had photos of Gwyneth Paltrow's dinner in the Mail and she had topped hers with mini marshmallows.

Really fascinated by the sweet potato stories. Over here we are very boring with them. Usually we cut them up and roast them until they go kind of caramelised just seasoned with salt and pepper. Or mash with butter. Mine often end up in soup.

My son is going to be all over the marshmallow recipes. He has a v sweet tooth! For some reason we had photos of Gwyneth Paltrow's dinner in the Mail and she had topped hers with mini marshmallows.
We do a streusel topping on top of mashed sweet potatoes sometimes. I’m not a big fan of the marshmallow topping.

I think the pear version has potential @PayrollNerd but I muffed it up a bit.

It needed more pears, I was a bit cautious. Also the base came out a bit too thick, my fault as I played with the quantities a bit. Otherwise, all good :D

Will def try it again. Thanks for sharing, from your house to mine :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 22
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors