Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering that the family has voiced concerns about safety, maybe the pandemic social distancing rules might actually be helpful to them at this point.
Hanukkah is fast approaching (Dec 10) and one might want to adjust invitations and seating arrangements accordingly, iykwim.
speculation, imo.

The Star article on the children's separate charitable foundations suggested that they are all leading distanced and possibly estranged lives from one another at this point.

Yes, it seemed that things/relationships deteriorated VERY quickly, from the time of the funeral when JS was making pacts with his sisters to check in on one another every day, start a new special foundation to continue the giving legacy of their parents (which according to recent Star article, hasn't yet happened), and to maintain the close family bonds with each of their parents' siblings and families.

It seems within days, the relationship with all of the kids and MS deteriorated to such a point that MS wasn't even invited to the youngest sister's wedding, no H&S Giving Foundation was set up, and now the kids seem at odds, considering KD reported that JS was no longer listed as a Director of either of his oldest and youngest sisters' charitable foundations (when he had previously been issued on each of them), and it was reported he hadn't spoken with sister Alex in over a year. Just wow.

Yes, it seemed that things/relationships deteriorated VERY quickly, from the time of the funeral when JS was making pacts with his sisters to check in on one another every day, start a new special foundation to continue the giving legacy of their parents (which according to recent Star article, hasn't yet happened), and to maintain the close family bonds with each of their parents' siblings and families.

It seems within days, the relationship with all of the kids and MS deteriorated to such a point that MS wasn't even invited to the youngest sister's wedding, no H&S Giving Foundation was set up, and now the kids seem at odds, considering KD reported that JS was no longer listed as a Director of either of his oldest and youngest sisters' charitable foundations (when he had previously been issued on each of them), and it was reported he hadn't spoken with sister Alex in over a year. Just wow.

The article does not indicate there is any overt estrangement or conflict between any of the three daughters. They may have set up separate charitable ventures, but that does not necessarily indicate any conflicts between them- they all probably support different types of causes.
The only conflicts or disagreements between the siblings that are mentioned in the article are in fact between JS and one or more of his sisters.

The charitable foundation promised at Barry and Honey Sherman’s funeral by their son was never created, as rift among siblings grows

I think JS's statements at the funeral were showboating in front of thousands to show how dedicated he was to his parents memory and their desire to divest their millions to charity.

I just wanted to interject here... it is always good to see an active thread on WS for an unsolved case. If Kevin Donovan hadn't pursued the Sherman case, the last we would have heard anything would have been from the TPS's press conference almost three years ago. This thread would have gone silent at that time.

KD has kept the case alive and held the TPS accountable to prove that this investigation has been handled properly. That is what dedicated investigative journalists do. Bash him if you want, but without him there would have been zero info over the past three years. jmo
Kevin Donovan is absolutely the only person who has kept the police moving. I heard Christie Blatchford say on a radio show before she passed away how much respect she had for him and that when every one else gives up he will not.

Kevin Donovan is absolutely the only person who has kept the police moving. I heard Christie Blatchford say on a radio show before she passed away how much respect she had for him and that when every one else gives up he will not.
ETA Could not immediately find the referenced radio show, but posting this because Ms Blatchford is missed!
Jan 21, 2019

Last edited:
ETA Could not immediately find the referenced radio show, but posting this because Ms Blatchford is missed!
Jan 21, 2019

Yes, she passed away last Feb and is missed.

Something she mentioned on that video, recalled a friend often saying.....

“What the public is interested in knowing isn’t necessarily in the public interest........meaning just because the public is interested in knowing every detail doesn’t mean we should know it at this stage especially while the police are presumably still trying to solve this crime...”

So are you suggesting if KD wasn’t reporting on this case, TPS would allow the murder file to gather dust?

If so, I’d have to disagree. Nobody on the outside has the power to keep the police moving, especially without knowing what’s happening on the inside. KD has never claimed to know the identity of the killer.

LE in Canada are notoriously closed-lipped about progress on any case. Even now the general public has no idea at what point the Sherman investigation stands even though it involved two of Canada’s most high profile victims, but that’s not unusual as it’s the same for all other unsolved murder files.

So are you suggesting if KD wasn’t reporting on this case, TPS would allow the murder file to gather dust?

If so, I’d have to disagree. Nobody on the outside has the power to keep the police moving, especially without knowing what’s happening on the inside. KD has never claimed to know the identity of the killer.

LE in Canada are notoriously closed-lipped about progress on any case. Even now the general public has no idea at what point the Sherman investigation stands even though it involved two of Canada’s most high profile victims, but that’s not unusual as it’s the same for all other unsolved murder files.

In the Jeffrey Epstein case, LE left things alone after JE and his coconspirators got their sweetheart deal in 2008 and didn't start investigating again until the Miami Herald 'Perversion of Justice' piece published in 2018. Freedom of the press is crucial in tackling corruption at the top or maintaining transparency.

The Star article on the children's separate charitable foundations suggested that they are all leading distanced and possibly estranged lives from one another at this point.
Had been thinking more in terms of the wider social circle one might encounter during holiday (pre-covid) parties, like staff, business associates, ect. imo.

In the Jeffrey Epstein case, LE left things alone after JE and his coconspirators got their sweetheart deal in 2008 and didn't start investigating again until the Miami Herald 'Perversion of Justice' piece published in 2018. Freedom of the press is crucial in tackling corruption at the top or maintaining transparency.

Same with the NS mass murder case- LE received a number of reports over the years regarding the shooter's suspicious or possibly illegal activities, but it seems LE took little in the way of concrete action to truly investigate and prove or disprove these allegations.

We have Freedom of the Press/ Whistle Blower laws here in Canada as well. KD is legally protected from reporting what unnamed sources tell him, as are all reporters.

Whenever he’s been interviewed, I’ve noticed he consistency presents himself as remarkably neutral, apart and separate from what he writes on behalf of his sources. It caused me to consider he may have a quite a different working relationship with TPS than his reporting might suggest, particularly if it’s true one of his sources might be the killer - which he never denied.

So I have no idea how LE might’ve “left things” until KD began reporting on it? Or specifically what sort of corruption, scandal or lack of transparency has KD brought to light? In fact I’m unable to make a connection with your examples to allegations involving the Sherman murder case, written by KD or otherwise.

Last edited:
We have Freedom of the Press/ Whistle Blower laws here in Canada as well. KD is legally protected from reporting what unnamed sources tell him, as are all reporters.

Whenever he’s been interviewed, I’ve noticed he consistency presents himself as remarkably neutral, apart and separate from what he writes on behalf of his sources. It caused me to consider he may have a quite a different working relationship with TPS than his reporting might suggest, particularly if it’s true one of his sources might be the killer - which he never denied.

So I have no idea how LE might’ve “left things” until KD began reporting on it? Or specifically what sort of corruption, scandal or lack of transparency has KD brought to light? In fact I’m unable to make a connection with your examples to allegations involving the Sherman murder case, written by KD or otherwise.

You disagreed with the idea that without KD's involvement, the LE would let dust collect on the Sherman case. You said nobody on the outside has the power to keep the police moving. I gave an example of how somebody on the outside, the Miami Herald, got LE to move on a dusty case again.

You disagreed with the idea that without KD's involvement, the LE would let dust collect on the Sherman case. You said nobody on the outside has the power to keep the police moving. I gave an example of how somebody on the outside, the Miami Herald, got LE to move on a dusty case again.

I don’t believe LE has allowed dust to settle in the case at all. It would seem to me KD is attempting to follow developments, rather than lead. Can you think of an example how KD might be driving forward LE regarding the Sherman instigation?

I don’t believe LE has allowed dust to settle in the case at all. It would seem to me KD is attempting to follow developments, rather than lead. Can you think of an example how KD might be driving forward LE regarding the Sherman instigation?

In my view its not driving the investigation forward that is his primary role. IMO it's to report on developments; and investigate, critically and constructively question, and to report on the actions and progress made by LE in the investigation. I think this is an important role in a democratic society. The instance where the neighbours had to ask the police (3 times) to come over and get the videotape they had of the sherman residence around the time of the murders is a good example of something that I believe the public has a right to know and should know about. Just as if the police do something praiseworthy or smart, I believe this should be reported on as well. Coincidentally or not, there has been little reporting of the latter in this case.
BTW, I do not believe that KD knows for certain that one or more of his "sources" committed the murder. If he did, I suspect he would be in hiding.

So if I show up at the airport everyday, and report to the world on which planes arrive and take off (by the labor-intensive means of interviewing passengers) then that means I can claim the airport couldn't function eithout me?

I think these reporters have delusions of grandeur.

So if I show up at the airport everyday, and report to the world on which planes arrive and take off (by the labor-intensive means of interviewing passengers) then that means I can claim the airport couldn't function eithout me?

I think these reporters have delusions of grandeur.
I think he is keeping TPS on their toes, making it obvious that should they screw up, procrastinate, or choose not to follow up with something, it might come back to haunt them publicly in the future, etc. With complete silence, I believe police might not think much about what the public might find out later, etc. And they should. And hopefully they do think about it, with someone as persistent as KD following the case as an investigative reporter. jmo.

Although i agree with you, a person or people on the outside of a murder/criminal investigation can not force the police to continue to work this case. KD though isn't really on the outside. He is a credible investigative journalist who has investigated other criminal cases. He has been in court for a couple of years trying to get the estate unsealed and warrents that have been executed released. Who else has done that? His not identifiying or having knowledge who the killer is has nothing to do with his continues investigation and reporting on this case.

I think he is keeping TPS on their toes, making it obvious that should they screw up, procrastinate, or choose not to follow up with something, it might come back to haunt them publicly in the future, etc. With complete silence, I believe police might not think much about what the public might find out later, etc. And they should. And hopefully they do think about it, with someone as persistent as KD following the case as an investigative reporter. jmo.

Interesting, I’ve never got the impression KD’s mission is to keep TPS on their toes. I don’t recall even one example where he’s ever criticized TPS based on his own personal involvement.

As for his reports about what people tell him, he doesn’t guarantee the accuracy, he doesn’t offer his opinion, nor does he have the ability to balance his reporting about what his sources tell him with “the other side of the story” and there almost always is one. That’s not just him, that’s par for the course in the media business. Speculation, drama, creating interest by attention-getting headlines is how MSM thrives.

It’s certainly good thing our Courts do not operate under the same principle as the media.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members