Canada - Boy, 1, killed in police shooting after parental kidnapping, Kawartha Lakes, 27 Nov 2020

Reaction score
A toddler have been killed after having been kidnapped by his father. When police tried to stop the father's pickup truck, it collided with a police car, and the police opened fire. The boy was found deceased in the back seat. It's not yet confirmed if it was the police bullets that killed the child.
One-year-old boy killed after police open fire on alleged kidnapper

My God, three officers firing at once. Probably more than one bullet each.
That poor baby could have been riddled with bullets. Did these officers know there was a baby in the truck? This is horrific. MOO

For them to open fire, there better be a darn good reason.

but I will say that people here in Canada don’t really have fire arms. If we do, it’s for hunting and they only come out for hunting. Taking it in your vehicle with you, that’s not a thing here. That’s scary business.

Ontario’s police watchdog says a man has died nearly a week after being shot by provincial police in an incident that also left his one-year-old son dead in the City of Kawartha Lakes, Ont.

The Special Investigations Unit says the 33-year-old man died in hospital on Wednesday night.
Man shot by OPP in City of Kawartha Lakes dies week after incident that killed boy, 1: SIU

The man’s name has not been released. An autopsy has been performed on the deceased child who died of a gunshot wound, but the investigation continues (we don’t know who shot the child.)

The police officer who was injured remains in hospital in stable condition.

Does Canada release the autopsy results regarding who fired the shot or do the have a Coronial enquiry at a later date? I don't expect too much information to come out if in fact t h e shot was fired by police. MOO

Does Canada release the autopsy results regarding who fired the shot or do the have a Coronial enquiry at a later date? I don't expect too much information to come out if in fact t h e shot was fired by police. MOO

I’m surprised we haven’t had more information about the shootings. But three police officers and the suspect fired their weapons, so it must be a complicated investigation.

I hope it was caught on body & dashboard cameras.

In May a woman having a mental health crisis fell to her death when police responded to a 911 call. The SIU was called in to investigate.

They regularly gave updates on their investigation until a ruling was made.

Special Investigations Unit -- News Release

We won't get the autopsy results until trial. My understanding is that the Father is still alive. He was shot by LE and airlifted to hospital in Toronto.

I'm assuming that the SIU knows who's bullet killed the child by now. I have a terrible feeling that it was LE and that's why we haven't heard anything yet.

I don't think they've even announced charges against the Father for kidnapping and everything else that went down that day.

It's a horrible horrible tragedy for all involved. I really hope it was not LE. I can't imagine how awful it would be to be the officer responsible.

MOO

We won't get the autopsy results until trial. My understanding is that the Father is still alive. He was shot by LE and airlifted to hospital in Toronto.

I'm assuming that the SIU knows who's bullet killed the child by now. I have a terrible feeling that it was LE and that's why we haven't heard anything yet.

I don't think they've even announced charges against the Father for kidnapping and everything else that went down that day.

It's a horrible horrible tragedy for all involved. I really hope it was not LE. I can't imagine how awful it would be to be the officer responsible.

MOO

Unfortunately, the father died about one week after the incident. (Wednesday, December 2nd.)

I also have the feeling it was an officer who shot the child. According to this old article, 13 officers were involved, one was injured. The last I heard, he was in stable condition.

Father shot by police during Kawartha Lakes incident where baby boy was killed dies of injuries

Unfortunately, the father died about one week after the incident. (Wednesday, December 2nd.)

I also have the feeling it was an officer who shot the child. According to this old article, 13 officers were involved, one was injured. The last I heard, he was in stable condition.

Father shot by police during Kawartha Lakes incident where baby boy was killed dies of injuries

Thanks. I didn't know he had succumbed to his injuries.

Not sure what will happen now.

I still think it was an LE bullet. Sigh.......

... some focus on the beginning of this tragedy, before the road block, before the gunfire ... "Global News reports that one local resident said police chased a vehicle that sped away from the home"
“The SIU appreciates the public interest in this tragic case and is doing what it can to get answers to the public as quickly as possible while ensuring that the integrity of the investigation is not compromised,” the Friday update from the SIU reads. “We ask for the public’s continued patience.”
... waiting for what needs to be said.

3 police officers who fired guns during standoff that killed baby still haven't talked to SIU

“Ontario's police watchdog says three officers who fired their guns during a standoff that killed a baby still haven't made themselves available to be interviewed by investigators.

"The three subject officers, who were designated as such on the basis of information that they each discharged their firearm in the course of the incident, have not as yet availed themselves of an opportunity to be interviewed," the Special Investigations Unit (SIU) said in a news release on Friday.

The unit noted that "subject officers" are not under any legal obligation to speak to the SIU but are allowed to do so.”
https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5875494?__vfz=medium=sharebar&__twitter_impression=true

So how does it get investigated if they are under no obligation to speak to the SIU?

If an officer in Ontario even takes out his gun and doesn’t fire it, he or she has to complete a Use of Force form. So, the police should have the statements from every officer involved. But there’s no legal requirement to make it public.

From the article it sounds as though they are investigating this as thoroughly as a murder case.

The SIU is their watchdog. The officers may have been cautioned by their lawyers to remain silent as they could be facing criminal charges.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back