CT CT - Barbara Hamburg, 48, Madison, 3 Mar 2010

CastlesBurning

Reaction score
Hamburg was found dead on March 3, 2010 outside her rental home at 44 Middle Beach West Madison, following a 911 call at 11:25 a.m., from “blunt force trauma and sharp force injury.” The death was ruled a homicide. She was 48.

- snip -

... a new tip line has been set up at barbarahamburgtips.com. Tips can be provided anonymously, for those who might prefer that, and can be provided through a form on the site, via a phone call (1-860-619-BARB. “Press 9 to leave a message. Your phone number will not be recorded”), or through an email or an anonymous email service, with links to those provided on the site.

Visitors to the site also can sign a petition, urging the police department to share the files on Barbara Hamburg’s homicide with the public, “in the hopes of solving this decade-old crime.”

Barbara Hamburg’s Son to Her Killer: ‘I Beg You To Tell Us Why’ | News Break

'I didn't know Barbara': CT filmmaker explores mother's slaying in HBO docu-series

What To Know About Jeffrey Hamburg From 'Murder On Middle Beach'

Barbara Hamburg (1961 - 2010) - Obituary

I watched the first episode of the documentary “murder on middle beach” made by Barbara’s son Madison. Though it is only the first episode, I strongly suspect it was Barbara’s ex husband Jeff Hamburg that hired someone to kill her. It seems to me that he did not want to pay her back alimony and child support and was to be a defendant in court over this issue that same day Barbara was killed.

I watched the first episode of the documentary “murder on middle beach” made by Barbara’s son Madison. Though it is only the first episode, I strongly suspect it was Barbara’s ex husband Jeff Hamburg that hired someone to kill her. It seems to me that he did not want to pay her back alimony and child support and was to be a defendant in court over this issue that same day Barbara was killed.

Watching that 1st episode, I was also suspicious of him yet it seemed too obvious. Someone else actually that sinister could rely on the seemingly obvious Ex standing out therefore possibly providing cover for the real perp. There are 4 episodes, 2 have been aired so far. There are suspects within Barbara’s immediate family, much due to the Gifting Tables. A friend, Donna Bello, and Barbara’s Aunt Jill both did prison time for that Gifting stuff & IRS violations. Gifting Tables are Ponzi structured. Barbara was due a big Gifting payoff the day her body was found, not to mention she and the Ex were due in court that very morning. It was one of her suspected sisters who found her dead, out in her yard. More to come.

Check out an article in the NY Post, dated November 15, 2020, titled “Murder on Middle Beach director uncovers his family’s dark legacies in doc”.
Explains a lot so far without spoiling what’s to come. I hope the perp is found but makes you wonder if it may remain a cold case.

I watched the first two episodes of the docu by her son. I then read quite a few news articles about the case. With ten yrs gone by, this will be a very difficult one to solve. The positioning of her house so far off the street with her back yard seeming to abut the golf course - easy to just walk in and out - and maybe even drive in and out in March with
just the off season population around.

IMO -Most likely suspects in my mind so far ?

The husband paid someone to kill her. ESP since he will not talk about the murder with his son and is so disconnected from the kids since the divorce. He knew the house and property. And seemingly loads of motive. Follow the money.

The other suspect in my mind IMO is the sister Conway - more of a gut feeling than anything else. Although lots of potential motive percolating in my head but not enough info yet.

If someone scary was approaching I would have expected signs of a fight by the door with the keys still in the door.

If Conway drove up, or someone she knew, she may have just left the keys and gone to greet them.

Just not enough info. She may have left the keys in the store on her way in to quickly grab something and then head out again for court and when she was running out ran into the big scary murderer.

I know the reports say blunt force trauma to head and torso and I think stab wounds too but do we know where exactly the blows and stabbings were actually inflicted - if head, top front or back ? Facial stab wounds? Torso - front or back ? Anybody know? Maybe I missed it or it will be known in the next episodes. Feels important to me.

I also thought that the husband has something to do with it.... paid someone to kill her?
The day she was killed was the day of the court hearing and he was supposed to pay her money or go to jail plus the husband has a shady past.

I also thought that the husband has something to do with it.... paid someone to kill her?
The day she was killed was the day of the court hearing and he was supposed to pay her money or go to jail plus the husband has a shady past.
From the description of the attack it sounds very personal, not like someone hired.
It seems like the police have not been thorough enough in their investigation which may or may not be their fault.
Whoever did this had to be covered in blood afterwards.

From the description of the attack it sounds very personal, not like someone hired.
It seems like the police have not been thorough enough in their investigation which may or may not be their fault.
Whoever did this had to be covered in blood afterwards.

The perp and the blood.... the perp may have been prepared for blood splatter, just as those 2 who hammered Dr Teresa Sievers to death. And Jimmy, The Hammer, kept hammering Dr Sievers, according to his cohort’s testimony who made him stop. I’m not a very experienced “sleuther” but with some murderers, they’re so evil it doesn’t need to be ‘personal’ with them, as in actually knowing the victim. That being said.... that adds to the “who dun it” confusion.

I haven’t completely ruled out her Ex (keep thinking of Mark Sievers way up North—guilty was my 1st thought) but I’m more suspicious of Conway. Also have lots of reservations about Ali, Madison’s sister. Lots more to be revealed in the upcoming 4th episode.... large sums of money, for one thing.

Yes, I am really interested to see the fourth and final episode. If BH really did bring her daughter to school the day she was murdered there is a pretty narrow window of time between that occuring and Conway and Ali showing back up at the house.
Interesting that Conway told the story about how she tried to hire a hitman to kill her sister earlier in time when she was in Florida and BH was basically raising Conway's son in her home. Could she have followed though in 2010 on that scheme ? Jealousy between siblings can be lethal.
Did all the old anger rise up when BH asked her to leave her house , where she had been living after health issues ? Rejection/ humiliation etc like before when BH took her son ? She must have harbored immense jealousy. Also so interesting that Ali takes off so soon after graduation leaving the country. And Conway certainly is pointing to Ali as the killer and so cold and matter of fact about it - Yikes all around !!

The perp and the blood.... the perp may have been prepared for blood splatter, just as those 2 who hammered Dr Teresa Sievers to death. And Jimmy, The Hammer, kept hammering Dr Sievers, according to his cohort’s testimony who made him stop. I’m not a very experienced “sleuther” but with some murderers, they’re so evil it doesn’t need to be ‘personal’ with them, as in actually knowing the victim. That being said.... that adds to the “who dun it” confusion.

I haven’t completely ruled out her Ex (keep thinking of Mark Sievers way up North—guilty was my 1st thought) but I’m more suspicious of Conway. Also have lots of reservations about Ali, Madison’s sister. Lots more to be revealed in the upcoming 4th episode.... large sums of money, for one thing.

I just don't see how any woman, especially the age of Conway and her health problems, or Ali due to her size, could drag a 160 pound woman. To me, it points to a man. I hope this family gets some answers.

Here are some questions to consider after the third episode's details about the crime scene:

1. The victim was dragged away from where she fell (pool of blood) back to the side of the house. She was covered with cushions and a wood pallet from the other side of the house was placed over the pool of blood. How did the killer know they could find a pallet to cover the blood? How did they get access to the cushions? Madison says in the doc that given the season (March 3) his mother would keep the cushions in the garage. It was only a small possibility that they would have been outside. An outside attacker could not have anticipated that these items were available unless the house had been scoped out.

2. The ferocity of the attack continues to suggest, per the investigator in the episode, that the attack was personal, that the killer knew the victim, and that they were incredibly angry when they attacked. Not to mention, the attacker appears to have used TWO different weapons during the attack. They would have been left very bloody after they attacked. Was the house searched for a missing knife or hammer, as the episode suggests a hammer seemed to be used? Was blood found inside the house? Were weapons ever found near the property?

3. Did the police ever check phone records of the family? The aunt and sister give easy-to-check details about the timeline, but their stories don't match during their interviews. The aunt says she started receiving texts around 9 am from the sister and picked up the sister from school by 10 am. When the sister tells the story, she was at school in a study center and started texting her mother at 11 am, didn't get a response, and started texting her aunt only after she didn't get a response from her mother. She claims to have also called her mom and aunt. The sister puts the timeline so much later in the morning than the aunt.

4. The sister claimed that she and her mother stopped at a coffee shop before she was dropped off at school. According to the aunt and the diagram based on the police report, a coffee cup was found in front of the house. Did the police ever confirm the daughter was with the mother at the coffee shop? Did the police confirm the daughter was at school the whole morning? What about the aunt at the grandmother's house cleaning the basement? What about cell tower pings?

I just don't see how any woman, especially the age of Conway and her health problems, or Ali due to her size, could drag a 160 pound woman. To me, it points to a man. I hope this family gets some answers.
Dragging is very different than lifting. Ali says in the doc she was into running, biking, and swimming. A bit of athletic muscle and she could easily drag someone by the coat or shirt all of a few yards. It takes effort but it's not impossible.

I still like the husband for it and in this exact scenario, hired a killer so he could sit in court looking innocent. But the big thing wrong here is that a hired killer wouldn't be so erratic and vicious. This was "overkill" and that only happens when someone is acting out of control and monstrous, usually out of hatred.

Here are some questions to consider after the third episode's details about the crime scene:

1. The victim was dragged away from where she fell (pool of blood) back to the side of the house. She was covered with cushions and a wood pallet from the other side of the house was placed over the pool of blood. How did the killer know they could find a pallet to cover the blood? How did they get access to the cushions? Madison says in the doc that given the season (March 3) his mother would keep the cushions in the garage. It was only a small possibility that they would have been outside. An outside attacker could not have anticipated that these items were available unless the house had been scoped out.

2. The ferocity of the attack continues to suggest, per the investigator in the episode, that the attack was personal, that the killer knew the victim, and that they were incredibly angry when they attacked. Not to mention, the attacker appears to have used TWO different weapons during the attack. They would have been left very bloody after they attacked. Was the house searched for a missing knife or hammer, as the episode suggests a hammer seemed to be used? Was blood found inside the house? Were weapons ever found near the property?

3. Did the police ever check phone records of the family? The aunt and sister give easy-to-check details about the timeline, but their stories don't match during their interviews. The aunt says she started receiving texts around 9 am from the sister and picked up the sister from school by 10 am. When the sister tells the story, she was at school in a study center and started texting her mother at 11 am, didn't get a response, and started texting her aunt only after she didn't get a response from her mother. She claims to have also called her mom and aunt. The sister puts the timeline so much later in the morning than the aunt.

4. The sister claimed that she and her mother stopped at a coffee shop before she was dropped off at school. According to the aunt and the diagram based on the police report, a coffee cup was found in front of the house. Did the police ever confirm the daughter was with the mother at the coffee shop? Did the police confirm the daughter was at school the whole morning? What about the aunt at the grandmother's house cleaning the basement? What about cell tower pings?
Just some thoughts...

Seems like LE, when talking to Madison about what his Aunt Conway said about his sister, were not impressed at all by that information. I think the Detective said something like, oh you're Aunt said that to you, did she? To me he sounded very skeptical of what the Aunt had said, not skeptical of Madison being truthful in his relay of the conversation but of the Aunt's reliability and honestly. AJMO

I also want to know more about the house inside, what, if any, blood traces were found inside (doorknobs, floor, plumbing etc...).

I believe from the the description, the placement of BH's wounds that she was probably attacked from behind. Since there was a dropped takeout coffee cup found outside (along with her purse and keys) it doesn't seem like Conway's senario about Ali attacking her mother while they were leaving for school makes much sense.

Another thing that doesn't sit right with me is Conway's and Ali's differing descriptions of the the subject of Conway leaving Barb's home. Ali says she got along with her Aunt, loved her Aunt and was always supportive her but her Aunt and mother didn't get along. Conway said it was Ali who was the catalyst to Barb asking her to leave. She said Ali gave her mother an ultimatum, it's me or her, decide.

Those two differing descriptions of what was going on stand out as does that Detective's almost mocking attitude towards Conway made my radar tingle. AJMO

Watching that 1st episode, I was also suspicious of him yet it seemed too obvious. Someone else actually that sinister could rely on the seemingly obvious Ex standing out therefore possibly providing cover for the real perp. There are 4 episodes, 2 have been aired so far. There are suspects within Barbara’s immediate family, much due to the Gifting Tables. A friend, Donna Bello, and Barbara’s Aunt Jill both did prison time for that Gifting stuff & IRS violations. Gifting Tables are Ponzi structured. Barbara was due a big Gifting payoff the day her body was found, not to mention she and the Ex were due in court that very morning. It was one of her suspected sisters who found her dead, out in her yard. More to come.

After watching the 2nd and 3rd episode, I’m not sure the father is the perp either. The timeline seems to be pointing to Ali, as there was such a small window of time that this murder could have occurred. But maybe her alibi that her mother drove her to school checks out. The intensity of the assault, however, does point to a personal relationship Who knows, there is so much drama in this family. Without the police investigative records available, we don’t know who has been eliminated as a suspect.

Dragging is very different than lifting. Ali says in the doc she was into running, biking, and swimming. A bit of athletic muscle and she could easily drag someone by the coat or shirt all of a few yards. It takes effort but it's not impossible.

Yep, dragging IS a lot different, no matter size as an adult. Committing such an act, the perp would be ramped up emotionally. And it’s amazing what the human body is capable of in this capacity. Do not discount small stature here.
Yes, conflicting stories with Conway & Ali. And remember, Conway did say she carried a hammer in her car after her sister’s murder.... which may be perfectly innocent but I found that a bit of a flag like maybe too much information(?).
I’ve watched these episodes 2-3 times each so far, as time has allowed. It’s amazing the tidbits that equal bigger chunks in value regarding what those involved say—gives rise to more questions from those of us observing. I caretake my husband, there are times this gives me a good mental break from things. Tossing lots in my head til the next & final episode.

Yep, dragging IS a lot different, no matter size as an adult. Committing such an act, the perp would be ramped up emotionally. And it’s amazing what the human body is capable of in this capacity. Do not discount small stature here.
Yes, conflicting stories with Conway & Ali. And remember, Conway did say she carried a hammer in her car after her sister’s murder.... which may be perfectly innocent but I found that a bit of a flag like maybe too much information(?).
I’ve watched these episodes 2-3 times each so far, as time has allowed. It’s amazing the tidbits that equal bigger chunks in value regarding what those involved say—gives rise to more questions from those of us observing. I caretake my husband, there are times this gives me a good mental break from things. Tossing lots in my head til the next & final episode.
Good point about not discounting a person of small stature. It's amazing what a small person can do when they feel the situation is dire and their adrenaline is up.

I initially thought the dad was the culprit, too, because he refuses to talk about the murder. This is still a HUGE red flag to me. Huge.

Re: the coffee cup in front of the house. What kind of coffee cup? They didn't actually say if it was a disposable cup (i.e. from Willoughby's).

What was she wearing when she was found? PJs? They probably said and I missed it. Was she known to drive Ali to school in her PJs? Would she have gone into Willoughby's in PJs?? Do we know that she did go to Willoughby's? I'm surprised this was not verified (yet) in the doc.

I'm not ruling Ali out. Something about the very end of part 3 when she asked her brother, "would YOU like to say anything to the killer?" The look on her face in that moment revealed that she can be quite manipulative--just my opinion and the gut feeling I got from her. Plus, she literally fled the country at age 18 and hasn't been back. Red flag. A big one. If she did it, that could be another reading Dad isn't talking. He does not care that his ex wife is dead (probably relieved) and doesn't want his daughter to go to prison for it.

I think LE thinks Conway did it. But I don't think she did.

I initially thought the dad was the culprit, too, because he refuses to talk about the murder. This is still a HUGE red flag to me. Huge.

Re: the coffee cup in front of the house. What kind of coffee cup? They didn't actually say if it was a disposable cup (i.e. from Willoughby's).

What was she wearing when she was found? PJs? They probably said and I missed it. Was she known to drive Ali to school in her PJs? Would she have gone into Willoughby's in PJs?? Do we know that she did go to Willoughby's? I'm surprised this was not verified (yet) in the doc.

I'm not ruling Ali out. Something about the very end of part 3 when she asked her brother, "would YOU like to say anything to the killer?" The look on her face in that moment revealed that she can be quite manipulative--just my opinion and the gut feeling I got from her. Plus, she literally fled the country at age 18 and hasn't been back. Red flag. A big one. If she did it, that could be another reading Dad isn't talking. He does not care that his ex wife is dead (probably relieved) and doesn't want his daughter to go to prison for it.

That Ali part at the end of #3, I hear what you're saying. I rewound that section numerous times because of Ali's delivery and some facial ticks/expressions while talking. They made me feel uncomfortable. I don't know what to think about her.

Agree, that coffee cup... from home or Willoughby’s? Funny Conway didn’t mention that nor what Barbie was wearing when she found her body—PJs would be mentioned by anyone finding a body. And would she have really worn PJs into Willoughby’s anyway UNLESS that was something she typically did and everyone knew that, so no big deal? OR maybe Barbie really left in her PJs with coffee from home.... never stopped by Willoughby’s? (I used to drive my daughter & carpool buddies to school in my PJs with coffee from home, just sayin’)
Conflicting timeframe between Conway & Ali, as to when
Ali first made contact with Conway. Conway:10 or 10:30am vs Ali:11:00am. Not that big a difference between 10:30 & 11:00, BUT.
Ali had nothing to say to the perp if/when they might see the documentary? If Ali is indeed innocent, she may really feel that way but her response bothered me too.
JMO but I feel they’re leaving some obvious things out to keep us guessing & tuning in. Not to mention, this murder may currently remain unsolved. Such things from other crime cases have generally been kept off the internet & news outlets until months after trials & sentences have occurred.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back