Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, the job of a journalist is to cover a wide range of news stories that inform the public of important current events and issues that affect the public. IMO it is not the job of a journalist to relentlessly focus on one particular ongoing case, which is not even a public interest one, but a purely private one affecting only family and friends.

IMO, the only reason to cover it so intensively is for the sensationalism, for guaranteed click bait, for personal profit to be first in line to publish a hoped for best-seller. In fact, he's so impatient he can't even wait until the crime is solved to publish it.

Since it's all about sensationalism and getting clicks, and getting people to pay to get inside the Star's paywall, the temptation to exaggerate, to sensationalize, is, IMO, irresistible.

So I trust him about as much as I trust the Daily Mail, and other news outlets that are playing that same game of serving up exaggerated sensationalism disguised as journalism.

I will trust a journalist who reports on what is revealed in court if and when perps go to trial. Everything else is just, necessarily, hearsay and opinion published for dubious motives.

JMO

if he waited until this crime is solved to write his book it might never get written...

And I have no idea if this is KDs only assignment, or whether he is being paid by his employer to work on other cases also.

I am curious as to whether you include Greenspan with the journalists you are referring to when you say they are “ ...playing that same game of serving up exaggerated sensationalism... and “... Everything else is just, necessarily, hearsay and opinion published for dubious motives...”
After all, he too was paid to investigate this case (his own form of getting clicks, for his economicbenefit), and he came out with unsubstantiated and speculative statements regarding the case and the police investigation.

I can’t explain why some people would do so. To brag about their “inside” knowledge of the case, or to point KD in a certain direction? Just as I cannot explain why someone wouldn’t agree to speak to LE when requested to do so. And yet this is exactly what has happened.

This is where we disagree - pointing a reporter in a certain direction who’s merely reporting what various unnamed sources say is nothing more than entertainment fluff for the readers to capture their interest. Surely we all know reporters aren’t required to investigate the information in order to determine if it’s true, as they don’t have the ability to do so?

Can you imagine if people were prosecuted only on say-so in Canada? May as well have an online poll - who’s guilty! and reduce police depts responsible for murder investigations to zero.

Perhaps the reason this person is bragging about having inside information but won’t talk to police is because he or she knows the inside information is not true? As they say, talk is cheap.

Last edited:
Wow. I didn't even know there was someone bragging about having inside info and who was perfectly willing to blab info regarding the murders to KD, but unwilling to speak to police. Where does this stuff come from?

This is where we disagree - pointing a reporter in a certain direction who’s merely reporting what various unnamed sources say is nothing more than entertainment fluff for the readers to capture their interest. Surely we all know reporters aren’t required to investigate the information in order to determine if it’s true, as they don’t have the ability to do so?

Can you imagine if people were prosecuted only on say-so in Canada? May as well have an online poll - who’s guilty! and reduce police depts responsible for murder investigations to zero.

Perhaps the reason this person is bragging about having inside information but won’t talk to police is because he or she knows the inside information is not true? As they say, talk is cheap.

This discussion about the role of the investigative journalist has nothing to do with the actual police investigation of crimes, or the actual legal system's prosecution of crimes. The courts decide guilt or innocence, not the fact that an investigative reporter reported on a case and cited unnamed sources. No one is being prosecuted because KD interviewed them, or because KD "says so".

KD, as part of his role, has done much more than speak to and report on comments made from "unnamed sources". He has reviewed and reported on court filings; provided factual background about the victims and others in the case; and provided perspective and commentary on publicly available documents, and yes, even police statements.

To extend your argument, can you imagine if the public in Canada was advised about the existence of crimes, the details of crimes, and the victims of crimes only in the event of a successful prosecution? Not much use for this website if that's the way things were in Canada.

IMO an open and free press is a vital part of the society in which I want to live. So I guess we will just agree to disagree on this- it won't be the first time! :)

Why is KD only covering this story about 'The Billionaire Murders'? Why isn't he investing a similar amount of time and energy into investigating other homicides? Oh yes, he has to keep on the case because we all know how neglected billionaires are in society, how little people care about billionaires...someone has to be the champion of the billionaires and their right to justice!

Give me a break. He's doing this because no one's going to buy a book called The Homeless Couple Murders, or even the Middle class couple murders.

Makes me somewhat sick, the hypocracy.

ETA: No, I correct myself. What makes me somewhat sick is that people buy into this hypocracy.
I suspect KD works for many of the same reasons many of us do- earn an income to support yourself and your family; leave something for your children; improve your community or society by doing charitable works with some of the money you earn. Help others as best one can.

It’s not like KD is killing babies, or causing worldwide hunger. I’m not ashamed to say that like him (I suspect) I too try and maximize my income, given the skill sets that I have and the opportunities that i work to create. I Try to do so in a way that doesn’t hurt others, as most feeling humans I’m sure try to do. I’m not sure if that makes me a hypocrite, but so be it.

If people don’t like what KD does, or what he chooses to work on (BTW I suspect his employer has a say in this also, but isn’t that just regular life?) no one is forcing them to read his work or buy his books. If people don’t like me or my work, they don’t hire me. Its pretty simple really.

No offence intended here- I just fall on the side of supporting what KD does and What he has done in reporting on this case. In fairness, your point about him not reporting on homeless murders may be valid, but I suspect that equally as “guilty” are the millions of people that would have little to no interest in reading about such a case.

I think some people don't realize the difference between a reporter and an investigative reporter/journalist. An investigative reporter delves into one case or issue which could see him or her committed to following it for months or years. They fact-check, find documents, vet their witness sources and try to find corroborating testimony to determine the credibility of a person's statements. If they don't that, they lose credibility. It goes without saying that the issue or case that an investigative reporter undertakes has to appeal to a wide audience, as was the Sherman murders, which received international attention.

I don't know how many crime reporters versus investigative reporters are on staff at the Toronto Star, but as Chief Investigative Reporter, KD's assignment was to delve into the Sherman murders, and follow it through to the court system on behalf of the public's right for legal disclosure. He is not demanding "hold-back" information from TPS which could jeopardize their investigation. IMO (and I suspect many other people) he also felt the need to find transparency and due diligence in the TPS's investigation which was widely considered as bungled at the start. Add to that the TPS's refusal to even consult with the second pathologist, and hints of political influence-- KD (and The Star) had a case that warranted his complete attention. I am grateful that KD took up this case because I was horrified by how Barry and Honey suffered and died, and I sincerely care about finding justice for them.

I understand why people are sick of media outlets who sensationalize every story. I feel the same way. But our right for public disclosure, and the importance of a "free press" cannot be discounted and thrown in the same garbage heap as fake news and celebrity gossip. I am a law-abiding citizen who is pro-police, but I am not naïve. Every authority that I live under needs a check and balance, and a free press is critical in determining that those measures have been met.

Comparing KD to a tabloid writer hack, or totally discounting his investigation as meaningless is unfairly harsh and cynical in my opinion. I think his credentials, nominations and awards over 30 years attest to his credibility and excellent reputation. I have copied his achievements below.

Kevin Donovan is the Toronto Star's Chief Investigative Reporter. His focus is on journalism that exposes wrongdoing and effects change. Over more than three decades he has reported on the activities of charities, government, police, business among other institutions. Donovan also reported from the battlefields in the Gulf War and the war in Afghanistan following 9/11. He has won three National Newspaper Awards, two Governor General's Michener Awards, the Canadian Journalism Foundation award and three Canadian Association of Journalists Awards. As the Star's editor of investigations for many years, Donovan led many award-winning projects for the paper. He is the author of several books, including "Secret Life: The Jian Ghomeshi Investigation" and the "Dead Times" (a fiction novel) (and The Billionaire Murders added by me)

Honours and Awards :
Winner (Team) — Canadian Association of Journalists, CWA Canada/CAJ Award for Labour Reporting

(2017)Winner (Team) — Sidney Hillman Foundation, Canadian Hillman Prize

(2015)Nomination (Team) — National Newspaper Award, Investigations

(2015)Winner — Michener Award

(2014)Nomination (Team) — Canadian Association of Journalists, Open Media

(2014)Citation of Merit — Michener Award

(2011)Nomination (Team) — Canadian Association of Journalists, Computer Assisted Reporting

(2008)Nomination (Team) — Canadian Association of Journalists, Investigative Reporting

(2008)Nomination (Team) — National Newspaper Award, Investigations

(2008)Nomination (Team) — Canadian Association of Journalists, Investigative Reporting

Nomination (Team) — Canadian Association of Journalists, Investigative Reporting (2007)

(2007)Winner (Team) — Canadian Association of Journalists, Computer Assisted Reporting

(2006)Winner (Team) — Canadian Association of Journalists, Computer Assisted Reporting

(2005)Nomination (Team) — National Newspaper Award, Breaking News

(2004)Nomination — Canadian Association of Journalists Award

(2003)Winner (Team) — Canadian Association of Journalists

(2003)Winner (Team) — Canadian Association of Journalists, Computer Assisted Reporting

(2003)Winner (Team) — National Newspaper Award, Spot News Reporting

(2003)Nomination — Canadian Association of Journalists Award

(2002)Nomination (Team) — National Newspaper Award, Enterprise Reporting

(1998)Winner (Team) — National Newspaper Award, Enterprise Reporting (1997)

Winner — Michener Award (1996) Citation of Merit Michener Award

(1995)Citation of Merit Michener Award

(1994) Citation of Merit Michener Award

(1992)Winner (Team) Michener Award

National Newspaper Award, Spot News Reporting (1988)

Kevin Donovan | Authors | Toronto Star

But our right for public disclosure, and the importance of a "free press" cannot be discounted and thrown in the same garbage heap as fake news and celebrity gossip. I am a law-abiding citizen who is pro-police, but I am not naïve. Every authority that I live under needs a check and balance, and a free press is critical in determining that those measures have been met.

Hear hear. Not to mention that the TPS has made some serious missteps in recent years (Bruce McArthur and Tess Richey cases) which I think has really undermined public confidence. I’m glad that a diligent investigative reporter is sticking to this case and making sure LE know that the public eye is on them.

New.
Property where Barry and Honey Sherman were murdered has sold for $4.25 million

Property where Barry and Honey Sherman were murdered has sold - 680 NEWS
''The home itself is no longer standing, but the property where it once stood has now been sold.

The Toronto Star reports that a 28-year-old woman has purchased the property where Barry and Honey Sherman were murdered.

The land in North York sold for a price of $4.25 million.

The Star has also been able to obtain information that the buyer owns a 2019 Porsche Boxter that is co-signed by a man with the same last name. Both live in a nearby home that is currently listed for $7.9 million.''

https://torontostoreys.com/barry-honey-sherman-north-york-property-sold/
Screen-Shot-2020-12-03-at-11.00.40-AM-770x385.png

50 Old Colony Road/Google Maps
The property where the late Barry and Honey She
''Documents filed with the provincial land registry show the Sherman home was sold in late August; however, as the Star reported, an agreement was made between the Sherman estate trustees and the buyer — who is an unnamed 28-year-old woman — to “suppress” the true sale price.

As per the Star, a nominal value of $2 was recorded on the transfer document, which can be done if both parties agree to it and if the buyer pays the land transfer tax upfront before the deal closes. As was the case in this sale, with both parties agreeing to suppress the purchase price.

However, the Star said it was able to obtain the sale price of $4.25 million after calling the province’s land transfer tax section, which keeps all sale prices on record''.

Last edited:
New.
Property where Barry and Honey Sherman were murdered has sold for $4.25 million

Property where Barry and Honey Sherman were murdered has sold - 680 NEWS
''The home itself is no longer standing, but the property where it once stood has now been sold.

The Toronto Star reports that a 28-year-old woman has purchased the property where Barry and Honey Sherman were murdered.

The land in North York sold for a price of $4.25 million.

The Star has also been able to obtain information that the buyer owns a 2019 Porsche Boxter that is co-signed by a man with the same last name. Both live in a nearby home that is currently listed for $7.9 million.''

https://torontostoreys.com/barry-honey-sherman-north-york-property-sold/
Screen-Shot-2020-12-03-at-11.00.40-AM-770x385.png

50 Old Colony Road/Google Maps
The property where the late Barry and Honey She
''Documents filed with the provincial land registry show the Sherman home was sold in late August; however, as the Star reported, an agreement was made between the Sherman estate trustees and the buyer — who is an unnamed 28-year-old woman — to “suppress” the true sale price.

As per the Star, a nominal value of $2 was recorded on the transfer document, which can be done if both parties agree to it and if the buyer pays the land transfer tax upfront before the deal closes. As was the case in this sale, with both parties agreeing to suppress the purchase price.

However, the Star said it was able to obtain the sale price of $4.25 million after calling the province’s land transfer tax section, which keeps all sale prices on record''.
Makes me wonder what the property would've fetched if it had been sold with the building and pool and garage and tennis court and etc, intact, and perhaps also with some of the furniture and fixtures that were demolished along with the home.. whatever? We know what it was initially listed for before any of this happened, and we now know what the lot alone fetched in reality upon sale.. we also know there would've been a *substantial* discount from the original price due to the events and stigma associated with the property. If the purchaser had wanted the house torn down and removed, they would've accounted for that in the price offered. Would've been interested to know how that would've compared. I realize however, that the family wanted it taken down for other reasons, so a moot point.

I saw the article and wondered why the Star was publishing this. Why do we need to know that it sold? Why do we need to know that a 28 year old female bought it ? Why do readers need to know that she drives a Boxster? Must be a slow day in news.

Even a French language paper picked up this news item.
La propriété où Barry et Honey Sherman ont été assassinés s’est vendue pour 4,25 millions de dollars
Google Translate
''Buyer's attorney for the transfer, John Poletes, did not return a call from The Star. The Star also contacted Sherman's son, Jonathon, who, as trustee of his later parents' estate, was named in the sales documents (along with fellow directors Brad Krawczyk, wife of Sherman's daughter Alex and the head of the Sherman family holding company, Alex Glasenberg). Jonathon did not comment on the sale, but told The Star that prior to the leveling of the house in 2019, "most of the items in the house were either donated, donated, reassigned or distributed to siblings."

''Two days before the demolition crews demolished the house, an urban explorer secretly visited the Shermans' home, noting the paperwork and other items the explorer told the Star appeared to be evidence the police should have seized. . Photos from the explorer's tour show bottles of Stella Artois beer on the kitchen island, trash bags and cleaning supplies.''

''The financing agreement for the Boxter is co-signed by a man of the same last name, and they both live on a street west of Old Colony Rd. In a house which is now listed for sale at a cost of $ 7.9 million.

Meanwhile, the Forest Hill property where Honey planned to build her dream home, at an estimated cost of $ 30 million, was previously sold by the Sherman Estate for $ 7.4 million.

Toronto police say they are continuing to investigate the Sherman murders. They identified "many" people of interest during the investigation, but say they do not have the necessary evidence to lay criminal charges.''

I saw the article and wondered why the Star was publishing this. Why do we need to know that it sold? Why do we need to know that a 28 year old female bought it ? Why do readers need to know that she drives a Boxster? Must be a slow day in news.

I think it's very interesting that the house sold. I am also interesting in who, ( not the name ),would purchase such a property.
This is just one more layer of what is a heartbreaking real life story.
The family promised to immediately sod the land and maintain it once the house was demolished and the hoarding came down.
Fifteen months passed before it was sold. The hoarding is still up as of today. There was never sod put down and zero
maintenance.

I think some people don't realize the difference between a reporter and an investigative reporter/journalist. An investigative reporter delves into one case or issue which could see him or her committed to following it for months or years. They fact-check, find documents, vet their witness sources and try to find corroborating testimony to determine the credibility of a person's statements. If they don't that, they lose credibility. It goes without saying that the issue or case that an investigative reporter undertakes has to appeal to a wide audience, as was the Sherman murders, which received international attention.

I don't know how many crime reporters versus investigative reporters are on staff at the Toronto Star, but as Chief Investigative Reporter, KD's assignment was to delve into the Sherman murders, and follow it through to the court system on behalf of the public's right for legal disclosure. He is not demanding "hold-back" information from TPS which could jeopardize their investigation. IMO (and I suspect many other people) he also felt the need to find transparency and due diligence in the TPS's investigation which was widely considered as bungled at the start. Add to that the TPS's refusal to even consult with the second pathologist, and hints of political influence-- KD (and The Star) had a case that warranted his complete attention. I am grateful that KD took up this case because I was horrified by how Barry and Honey suffered and died, and I sincerely care about finding justice for them.

I understand why people are sick of media outlets who sensationalize every story. I feel the same way. But our right for public disclosure, and the importance of a "free press" cannot be discounted and thrown in the same garbage heap as fake news and celebrity gossip. I am a law-abiding citizen who is pro-police, but I am not naïve. Every authority that I live under needs a check and balance, and a free press is critical in determining that those measures have been met.

Comparing KD to a tabloid writer hack, or totally discounting his investigation as meaningless is unfairly harsh and cynical in my opinion. I think his credentials, nominations and awards over 30 years attest to his credibility and excellent reputation. I have copied his achievements below.

Kevin Donovan is the Toronto Star's Chief Investigative Reporter. His focus is on journalism that exposes wrongdoing and effects change. Over more than three decades he has reported on the activities of charities, government, police, business among other institutions. Donovan also reported from the battlefields in the Gulf War and the war in Afghanistan following 9/11. He has won three National Newspaper Awards, two Governor General's Michener Awards, the Canadian Journalism Foundation award and three Canadian Association of Journalists Awards. As the Star's editor of investigations for many years, Donovan led many award-winning projects for the paper. He is the author of several books, including "Secret Life: The Jian Ghomeshi Investigation" and the "Dead Times" (a fiction novel) (and The Billionaire Murders added by me)

Honours and Awards :
Winner (Team) — Canadian Association of Journalists, CWA Canada/CAJ Award for Labour Reporting

(2017)Winner (Team) — Sidney Hillman Foundation, Canadian Hillman Prize

(2015)Nomination (Team) — National Newspaper Award, Investigations

(2015)Winner — Michener Award

(2014)Nomination (Team) — Canadian Association of Journalists, Open Media

(2014)Citation of Merit — Michener Award

(2011)Nomination (Team) — Canadian Association of Journalists, Computer Assisted Reporting

(2008)Nomination (Team) — National Newspaper Award, Investigations

Nomination (Team) — Canadian Association of Journalists, Investigative Reporting (2007)

(2007)Winner (Team) — Canadian Association of Journalists, Computer Assisted Reporting

(2006)Winner (Team) — Canadian Association of Journalists, Computer Assisted Reporting

(2005)Nomination (Team) — National Newspaper Award, Breaking News

(2004)Nomination — Canadian Association of Journalists Award

(2003)Winner (Team) — Canadian Association of Journalists

(2003)Winner (Team) — Canadian Association of Journalists, Computer Assisted Reporting

(2003)Winner (Team) — National Newspaper Award, Spot News Reporting

(2003)Nomination — Canadian Association of Journalists Award

(2002)Nomination (Team) — National Newspaper Award, Enterprise Reporting

(1998)Winner (Team) — National Newspaper Award, Enterprise Reporting (1997)

Winner — Michener Award (1996) Citation of Merit Michener Award

(1995)Citation of Merit Michener Award

(1994) Citation of Merit Michener Award

(1992)Winner (Team) Michener Award

National Newspaper Award, Spot News Reporting (1988)

Kevin Donovan | Authors | Toronto Star
Thank You.

I think it's a lot more interesting than much of the news we've been seeing in a long time. It looks like the empty lot was bought by a billionaire currently selling another house for $7.9 million. Wow! Even taking into consideration the GTA's sky high real estate prices, that's very rich for a building lot. Very interesting indeed.

Last edited:
The Star article says the furnace guy was downstairs for an hour. It’s strange that did he not see Barry’s gloves and the house inspection report lying on the floor It’s not mentioned in the article that he did see them, and depending on which stairs he took he would have walked right by them. Floor plan is attached for the benefit of newer posters on this forum.

https://media.houssmax.ca/201711/29/5a1f32afd3797.pdf
The Furnace room is at the opposite end of the basement from the pool. There is another set of stairs around the kitchen area that goes down to the pool and garage side
The staircase in the front foyer would probably be the one he used to access the furnace room.
I am sure when Barry walked in from the garage the person was waiting for him behind the door. Barry, shocked dropped everything.everything

The Furnace room is at the opposite end of the basement from the pool. There is another set of stairs around the kitchen area that goes down to the pool and garage side
The staircase in the front foyer would probably be the one he used to access the furnace room.
I am sure when Barry walked in from the garage the person was waiting for him behind the door. Barry, shocked dropped everything.everything

Or it's possible he saw Honey in distress and moved to help her then realized others were in the home.

there is no stairway in the front foyer. The closest one is opposite the breakfast room. But I guess the furnace man saw nothing.

there is no stairway in the front foyer. The closest one is opposite the breakfast room. But I guess the furnace man saw nothing.

Reactions: JDG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member