GUILTY TN - Caitlyn Kaufman, 26, fatally shot while driving on I-440, Nashville, 3 Dec 2020 *1 guilty, 1 NG*

WKRN has a report on a press conf with the victims mother and the police chief. They say they are following up on more than 40 tips. I hope this is getting close to an arrest.
Mom of Nashville nurse killed: ‘Help us find who did this to my daughter’ | WKRN News 2
Snipped
Dickerson said that Kaufman was traveling to St. Thomas West Hospital from Wilson County before 7 p.m. Thursday. It is believed that she was fatally shot between 6:05 and 6:10 p.m. when a gunshot entered her left shoulder area.

SEE ALSO: Nurse gunned down on Nashville interstate was a star athlete, beloved MICU team member
The medical examiner told investigators that Kaufman succumbed to her injuries within 15 seconds, and did not have time to call for help. Kaufman’s vehicle was struck six times with shots potentially fired from the roadway.
—-
this is just awful and I hope they find her killer soon
JMO

Mom of Nashville nurse killed: ‘Help us find who did this to my daughter’ | WKRN News 2
Snipped
Dickerson said that Kaufman was traveling to St. Thomas West Hospital from Wilson County before 7 p.m. Thursday. It is believed that she was fatally shot between 6:05 and 6:10 p.m. when a gunshot entered her left shoulder area.

SEE ALSO: Nurse gunned down on Nashville interstate was a star athlete, beloved MICU team member
The medical examiner told investigators that Kaufman succumbed to her injuries within 15 seconds, and did not have time to call for help. Kaufman’s vehicle was struck six times with shots potentially fired from the roadway.
—-
this is just awful and I hope they find her killer soon
JMO

Surely by now LE knows what type of gun(handgun or rifle) was used from the caliber of the bullets recovered.
I would think that if her car was hit six times by gunshots, it was a handgun and was more likely a passenger doing the shooting from a passing car. Road rage or thrill kill? Random or not? I do think 6:10pm is an odd time to decide to go out looking for someone to shoot for the heck of it.
There does not seem to be a lot of traffic cameras focused on the highway in that stretch but they do appear to be good quality cameras. I’m sure there must be a lot of cameras at businesses as you come off of exits though. Also looking at the map there appears to be only one exit between where she was shot and where I-440W funnels into I-40. The killer is very limited in where he can get off that highway.
I feel confident LE will find this person fairly soon.

@StarryStarryNight , I hope you are right about a passenger in the perp car being involved since more than one person would increase the pressure, but I’m thinking it was a single shooter. I wonder too if it’s random or intentional. I’ve been considering if this is somehow generated on social media or if she had a recent breakup? I know that I’m reaching but I’m just anxious for a break.

@StarryStarryNight , I hope you are right about a passenger in the perp car being involved since more than one person would increase the pressure, but I’m thinking it was a single shooter. I wonder too if it’s random or intentional. I’ve been considering if this is somehow generated on social media or if she had a recent breakup? I know that I’m reaching but I’m just anxious for a break.

I think all those things you mention are real possibilities.

Metro Police are looking into the path the two suspects, arrested and charged, took from Colorado to see if the timeline and path line up with the shooting of Saint Thomas West nurse Caitlyn Kaufman on I-440 last week.

“As soon as that incident happened we were actually contacted by the police department down there," said Metro Police Det. Chris Dickerson.

A Chipley resident traveling north on State Road 79 observed the vehicle parked in the middle of the intersection. The driver turned around thinking the vehicle was broken down.

As he approached the intersection the suspect started shooting at him. Both victims immediately started backing out of the line of fire.

A short time later, deputies apprehended the shooting suspect along with his passenger, 41-year-old, Cody Sean Brelsford at the Port of Panama City. Deputies also recovered hundreds of rounds of ammunition, several firearms and ballistic vests inside the suspects’ vehicle.

MNPD looking into path taken by two Colorado gunmen arrested in Florida

What we know about the Nashville shooting that killed Caitlyn Kaufman
BRINLEY HINEMAN, NATALIE NEYSA ALUND AND RACHEL WEGNER | NASHVILLE TENNESSEAN | 1 hour ago
Snipped
What happened?
Police believe Kaufman was likely killed between 6 and 6:30 p.m. while she was on her way to work for a shift that began at 7 p.m.

A Metro Parks officer discovered Kaufman in her vehicle when he stopped around 9 p.m. Thursday to investigate why her vehicle was parked on the right shoulder of I-440W, believing it was a single-car crash.
More at link

BBM:

Unfortunately, based on this description of LE having come across her vehicle randomly around 9 pm (at least 2.5 hours after this shooting would have occurred), it sounds like there were no other drivers/witnesses to the incident on the roadway.

At least, there were definitely none that called 911.

My main man William of Occam says this was most likely a random road rage incident.

If that's the case, I think it's going to be an incredibly tough one for LE to solve.

If there was another driver behind them who witnessed the gunfire and didn't phone it in at the time, hopefully they'll contact LE and report what they saw now that it's being reported she was an innocent victim who was senselessly murdered.

Fingers crossed for cameras somewhere nearby, and for witnesses who are able to give some kind of vehicle description to LE.

JMO.

Last edited:
The fact that she wasn’t reported or found for 2+ hrs is baffling and I don’t get why nobody called the disabled car in for that long. LE seems to have the actual time of the incident narrowed to a 5 minute window, I guess based on when she left home and the car computer? I still think technology will play a big role in this case.

It’s apparent that these two were up to no good but this seems to be a reach. As @StarryStarryNight makes a good point above about ammo being recovered, I’m sure they got some of the bullets used in FL so we will se if they match.

I’m glad they’re looking into these two, but, to me, that would be a very weird route from Colorado to Florida.
I know LE said they had no video of the actual shooting but they should have video of the shooter’s car on that stretch of highway because there is only one exit between the shooting location and I-40 and there are traffic cameras before that exit. Unless of course the cameras were down at the time. If they caught those guys in Florida, they should know what they were driving and look for it on the video.

It reminds me of the guy in Houston who didn’t like women drivers and would randomly shoot at them. They arrested him but same idea. Trying to find the story on him, apparently a woman was shot fatally in a road rage incident just a few days ago in Houston (Midtown) as well. WTH, people have lost their ever loving minds.

my gut says it’s random, like these others seem to be:
Nicholas D'Agostino charged in alleged multiple shooting incidents, investigators say

Woman calls OnStar after being shot while driving | khou.com

I just seen on the WKRN site that someone who doesn’t want to be identified has put up a 10,000 dollar reward for info/arrest/conviction of the killer in this case. We can hope this turns up the heat a bit.

Maybe y’all can help me with some of these crazy thoughts.
What I Don’t Understand About This Case
1) Where I live, 6:10pm would still be rush hour. Not the maximum time for cars but still busy. I don’t understand how nobody notices someone shooting into a moving car, six times.
2) If someone did see it, I don’t understand why LE doesn’t have a “vehicle of interest” for people to be looking for.
3) Given that LE has narrowed the shooting down to a very small window of time, and there are traffic cameras along that stretch of highway before the next exit, even though the actual shooting is not on video, I don’t understand why LE doesn’t have a pool of suspected cars and let the public know they need to talk to these people.
4) I don’t understand how if CK died within 15 seconds, her car, on a major thoroughfare, slowly parks itself so nicely beside the guardrail. I would think she was going at a decent speed so a true wreck would be more in order. If the traffic was heavy and putting along...then why did nobody see what happened and report it?
5) Why did her car sit there for almost three hours before anybody checked on it?
All Those things Make Me Wonder These Crazy Things...
1) Is that what really happened? Shot up car with shoulder wound would seem so...but
2) Was it staged? If her car was there three hours with no one noticing, was it there hours longer without people noticing? I would think some video exists that confirms the three hours...but
3) Do we know CK made it safely home the night before? Surely LE would know this.
All the wondering is fueled by what I don’t understand. Please feel free to explain and set me straight. Thanks!

Look at car ...look at back tire and fender - it was dark and rainy - was there an accident and they pulled over - why is there a birkenstock out by car - you can see some broken glass

Attachments

• A754ED50-B1CD-43A1-9987-3B60F4B544BF.jpeg
    A754ED50-B1CD-43A1-9987-3B60F4B544BF.jpeg
    45 KB · Views: 115

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads