CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sheesh, it's noisy and my last post didn't make sense, so I'll try again, and without typos and bad editing by me. How close would a camp be to be walkable into Orangeville? There are a lot of camps in the area. Of course, camp staff would leave at end end of summer.

Are you familiar with the location on West Broadway where the quadders would meet up for trips along the tracks to Owen Sound? Do you know the Caledon Camp, or do you know when the Caledon Camp closed?

And did the staff wear boots from Marks?

No not familiar with that location. My time there and at camp was in the mid 90’s. We used to hang out at a bar called the Station or Main Street Station which has long since closed. The camp as well has long closed down.

Sheesh, it's noisy and my last post didn't make sense, so I'll try again, and without typos and bad editing by me. How close would a camp be to be walkable into Orangeville? There are a lot of camps in the area. Of course, camp staff would leave at end end of summer.

Many of the camps are on the Sideroads just off Highway 9. By car it would be less than 15 minutes to drive from most summer camps in the area into Orangeville. Walking though would be more like two hours. And the camp I worked at is still there actually - just opened under a new name. Lots and lots of local Orangeville guys worked at the camps as maintenance guys, drivers, general workers. Usually the nursing staff was also local. The counsellors were a mix of locals and from the city (Toronto etc).

@GinaSeikwa ITA with what you're saying about the person possibly ditching Sonias car close to wherever they might have parked their own. Maybe they chose that spot because there's more than one parking lot?

Couldn't someone just park their own car in one lot, leave SVs' car at the tack shop, walk around the block (or back down Broadway and cut through one of the lots) and get into their own car 20 feet away? Just as an example.

@Gina20 I wasn't sure if you were asking whether or not LE found the boots/other items with fur on them. I was just replying that LE haven't found anything belonging to Sonias killer at all. At least that we know of. Apologies for misunderstanding.

@GinaSeikwa ITA with what you're saying about the person possibly ditching Sonias car close to wherever they might have parked their own. Maybe they chose that spot because there's more than one parking lot?

Couldn't someone just park their own car in one lot, leave SVs' car at the tack shop, walk around the block (or back down Broadway and cut through one of the lots) and get into their own car 20 feet away? Just as an example.

@Gina20 I wasn't sure if you were asking whether or not LE found the boots/other items with fur on them. I was just replying that LE haven't found anything belonging to Sonias killer at all. At least that we know of. Apologies for misunderstanding.

I've been posting through construction noise, so there's that. My posts might not be clear at the moment.

@whiterhino Yes for sure this is what I think as well!
The entire Broadway main drag has so many parking lots and businesses. So many possibilities
I will try to post a map later when I can get on my desktop.

I've seen some maps but can't link them right now. There are maps in the previous pages of this thread.

There is a sort of alleyway kind of hidden from the street when you do Google Street View and face the tack shop. The only reason to leave the car so close to her home would be if the person lived nearby or had parked their own vehicle in the area. I can't imagine anyone just strolling home no matter how close they lived but who knows?

Police profile 'cold-blooded killer' in slaying of Ontario nurse Sonia Varaschin

"My daughter deserved to live her life to the fullest. She did not deserve to die at the hands of someone who felt her life was worthless."

I've been thinking about the term "cold-blooded killer", and what it means in relation to Sonia's murder.

Why is it called 'cold blooded murder' instead of clearly being a hot blooded activity? - Quora

Not impulsive. Calm. Premeditated. Calculated. Uncaring. Lacking remorse. Isn't this the description of a psychopath?

I've been reading about the unsolved murders of several women in Quebec in the 1970s. One of those women was Theresa Allore.

Death of Theresa Allore - Wikipedia

The person who committed all these murders was dubbed the "bootlace killer". After many years of research, interviews, a blog and a book, Theresa's brother came to the conclusion that her killer was an ex-military man and former member of the disbanded Canadian Airborne Regiment. This elite commando unit was trained to kill with their hands. The man was allegedly Luc Gregoire, now deceased. Gregoire didn't stop killing. He moved to Alberta and was sent to jail for the murder of a convenience store worker. Officially, Theresa's case remains unsolved.

Aren't elite commando forces "cold-blooded killers" by definition? They are trained for this purpose, professionally.

Many military members were on the move between Huntsville and Toronto in 2010, due to the G8 and G20.

Sonia's killer wore work boots.

Here is a hastily marked map of the area.
The red circle is Sonia’s townhouse complex on Spring st.
The yellow circle is approximately where her car was found abandoned.
There are many walking paths leading from the back of her townhouse to the main Broadway ave area with all of its businesses.
upload_2020-12-9_16-41-52.jpeg

I've been reading about the unsolved murders of several women in Quebec in the 1970s. One of those women was Theresa Allore.

Death of Theresa Allore - Wikipedia

The person who committed all these murders was dubbed the "bootlace killer". After many years of research, interviews, a blog and a book, Theresa's brother came to the conclusion that her killer was an ex-military man and former member of the disbanded Canadian Airborne Regiment. This elite commando unit was trained to kill with their hands. The man was allegedly Luc Gregoire, now deceased. Gregoire didn't stop killing. He moved to Alberta and was sent to jail for the murder of a convenience store worker. Officially, Theresa's case remains unsolved.

Aren't elite commando forces "cold-blooded killers" by definition? They are trained for this purpose, professionally.

Many military members were on the move between Huntsville and Toronto in 2010, due to the G8 and G20.

Sonia's killer wore work boots.
Ws thread..
CANADA - Canada - Theresa Allore, 19, Lennoxville, QC, 3 Nov 1978

Here's a question for you. Would police forensics be able to tell handedness in every murder, or does this depend on the type of murder, type of weapon, etc.? How often do they make this determination?

Just as people have right- or left-hand preferences, they can also be right- or left-footed. This could make the boot prints even more important, if they belong to the murderer. Handedness and footedness go together. The correlation is strong. If you're right-handed, you're most likely right-footed. Some people have mixed handedness and mixed foot preferences, so this is not a hard and fast rule. I assume people with left-foot preference might wear their soles down differently.

How important is this in Sonia's case? We don't know, but would it also impact the way a person drives a car, and routes they might take? Would they adjust mirrors differently?

Does anyone know about Sonia's financial situation prior to her murder? She had a new car, a new job, and had purchased her condo a few years before she died, IIRC. She had a pending compensation settlement for an injury that occurred on the job. She did not seem to live beyond her means. The car was not fancy. The home was modest.

Thinking of the possibility of her murder being staged by her killer, to cover up something else.

Does anyone know about Sonia's financial situation prior to her murder? She had a new car, a new job, and had purchased her condo a few years before she died, IIRC. She had a pending compensation settlement for an injury that occurred on the job. She did not seem to live beyond her means. The car was not fancy. The home was modest.

Thinking of the possibility of her murder being staged by her killer, to cover up something else.

What would the person be covering up? Not asking in a challenging way, just interested in what people think. I had a similar thought that the DNA had been planted but why would anyone use DNA from an unknown person o_O

Why go to the trouble of moving the body "to buy time" but turn around (literally) and park Sonias car like 6 blocks from her home? This is the part that boggles my mind.

Here's a link from a Psychology Today article regarding hunting patterns of serial killers FWIW:
Most Serial Killers Hunt Close to Home

"The comfort zone of a serial killer is often defined by an anchor point such as a place of residence or employment. Crime statistics reveal that serial killers are most likely to commit their first murder very close to their place of residence due to the comfort and familiarity it offers them."

We know Sonia liked to be active, hiking etc. What other hobbies/routines did she have? For example, did she go for walks and grab coffee at a local shop? Pick up pet supplies for her cat anywhere specific? Did she visit places that cater to hiking? Did she have a garden or any plants in her yard? (was just thinking summer, garden centers, work boots etc).

Idk. Just thinking of places where she could have crossed paths with her killer. I keep thinking of Russell Williams. Not him but someone similar?

What would the person be covering up? Not asking in a challenging way, just interested in what people think. I had a similar thought that the DNA had been planted but why would anyone use DNA from an unknown person o_O

Why go to the trouble of moving the body "to buy time" but turn around (literally) and park Sonias car like 6 blocks from her home? This is the part that boggles my mind.

Here's a link from a Psychology Today article regarding hunting patterns of serial killers FWIW:
Most Serial Killers Hunt Close to Home

"The comfort zone of a serial killer is often defined by an anchor point such as a place of residence or employment. Crime statistics reveal that serial killers are most likely to commit their first murder very close to their place of residence due to the comfort and familiarity it offers them."

We know Sonia liked to be active, hiking etc. What other hobbies/routines did she have? For example, did she go for walks and grab coffee at a local shop? Pick up pet supplies for her cat anywhere specific? Did she visit places that cater to hiking? Did she have a garden or any plants in her yard? (was just thinking summer, garden centers, work boots etc).

Idk. Just thinking of places where she could have crossed paths with her killer. I keep thinking of Russell Williams. Not him but someone similar?

I was not thinking of planted DNA at all. I was thinking about Sonia's murder as being staged, to cover up another motive. Making it look like one thing, when it was another?

I don't know if you followed Audrey Gleave's thread. She was murdered in her rural home in Ancaster, Ontario in 2010. Like Sonia, she lived alone. Her murder remains unsolved. There were some very confusing statements made by investigators about a "sexual component". There was speculation at WS about the scene being staged for some reason, perhaps financial, perhaps something else. Right now, we lack facts, so it's impossible to say.

Sonia's killer seems to have been a mix of organized and disorganized. The FBI summit seems to indicate that her murder was unusual in some way, maybe sharing commonalities with other murders. Calling a three-day FBI summit is out of the norm. It just doesn't happen with every murder. Was the profile produced from the summit productive?

Sonia did like to walk everywhere, according to her mother. She might have taken shortcuts to the shops through the green spaces near her home.

She couldn't have had much of a garden in a townhouse unit, but planters, yes. Remember how she had something damaged on her deck, because of roofers? She had cat figurines around her home.

There were military moving in the Toronto-Huntsville corridor in summer 2010, both before and after the G8 and G20. CFB Borden in Barrie had an attempted murder in its married quarters in January 2010.

In 2013, a young Orangeville man killed and dismembered his friend in London, Ontario, then called other friends to help him move the remains. They did not help. He had told a psychiatric nurse prior to this that he had harmed cats.

Why bodies are moved? To degrade DNA? To distance a person known to the victim, or who lived near the victim? The car returned because it would identify the location of the remains? Why there?

Providing no facts to the public seems to go beyond protecting key information known only to Sonia's killer. Why?

Is the name Beech Grove significant besides possibly being a place the killer was familiar with?
Wild thought, but have noticed that sometimes people with an accent (English not first language) pronounce the correct term for a female canine, as Beech. speculation, imo.
Might as well re post.. rbbm.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/fbi-helps-with-orangeville-murder-probe-1.890186

''Provincial police say criminal profilers from the FBI's Behavioural Analysis Unit in Virginia recently met with investigators on the case — along with experts from the OPP and RCMP.

The "investigative summit" also included senior homicide detectives from the provincial police force as well as from the York Region, Ottawa and Toronto forces.''

''Pritchard has said there were a "number of persons of interest" and numerous leads and tips in the case but has not spoken about any possible suspects.''

Killer of Ontario nurse profiled by FBI
''Ontario Provincial Police Det.-Insp. Mark Pritchard called the killer cold blooded and says the area where the body was found would have been known to him.

The killer may have been increased his alcohol or drug use and likely shied away from others after the crime
, Pritchard said Thursday, adding investigators have received some 460 tips from the public.''

FBI, OPP & RCMP work on profile of Sonia Varaschin’s killer
''The killer attacked Sonia Varaschin in her home in Orangeville, either late on Aug. 29 or early on Aug. 30, when her blood-smeared white Toyota Corolla was found, doors open, in an alleyway in downtown Orangeville. "Anybody who enters somebody's house where you should be safe and kills you, in my view is cold-blooded," Ontario Provincial Police Det.-Insp. Mark Pritchard said. He said the killer not only entered Varaschin's Spring Street home, he moved her body into her vehicle, despite "the close confines of the townhouse complex." After dumping her body, he then recklessly drove back near the scene of the murder and into town with blood that would have been "clearly visible on the outside of the car."

mountainview-road-beechgrove-road.jpg

''Lead investigators did release a general profile that they created of Varaschin's killer, hoping it might help them "zero in" on the killer by sparking further tips. In the days after Varaschin's death or the discovery of her body on Sept. 5, police say the killer may have:
  • Increased alcohol or drug use.
  • Seemed irritable, agitated or anxious.
  • Moved from the area.
  • Limited social interactions to avoid detection.
  • Had unexplained absences from work, school or missed appointments.
  • Displayed other unusual behavior.
The suspect police say is likely very familiar with the Orangeville area and the gravel Beech Grove Sideroad, near Mountainview Road in Caledon, where Varaschin's body was dumped. He may know it because of "recreation, occupation or illegal activities."

Police Reveal Possible Traits Of Sonia Varaschin’s Killer - CityNews Toronto
''A boot impression left by a size 10 or 11 Marks Work Wearhouse men’s Dakota or Wind River brand boot appears to be the key piece of evidence in the case.

c46328d54fccabdb27674ed5822d.jpeg

Pritchard described the person they’re looking for as “a cold-blooded killer” who targeted a “low-risk victim” and carried out a very disturbing and “high-risk” crime by attacking Varaschin in a close townhouse community and driving her blood-stained car to dispose of her body.

Detectives are still trying to determine if Varaschin knew her killer, or if he simply knew of her.''

Last edited:
Is the name Beech Grove significant besides possibly being a place the killer was familiar with?
Wild thought, but have noticed that sometimes people with an accent (English not first language) pronounce the correct term for a female canine, as Beech. speculation, imo.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/fbi-helps-with-orangeville-murder-probe-1.890186

''Provincial police say criminal profilers from the FBI's Behavioural Analysis Unit in Virginia recently met with investigators on the case — along with experts from the OPP and RCMP.

The "investigative summit" also included senior homicide detectives from the provincial police force as well as from the York Region, Ottawa and Toronto forces.''

''Pritchard has said there were a "number of persons of interest" and numerous leads and tips in the case but has not spoken about any possible suspects.''

''Ontario Provincial Police Det.-Insp. Mark Pritchard called the killer cold blooded and says the area where the body was found would have been known to him.

The killer may have been increased his alcohol or drug use and likely shied away from others after the crime
, Pritchard said Thursday, adding investigators have received some 460 tips from the public.''

''The killer attacked Sonia Varaschin in her home in Orangeville, either late on Aug. 29 or early on Aug. 30, when her blood-smeared white Toyota Corolla was found, doors open, in an alleyway in downtown Orangeville. "Anybody who enters somebody's house where you should be safe and kills you, in my view is cold-blooded," Ontario Provincial Police Det.-Insp. Mark Pritchard said. He said the killer not only entered Varaschin's Spring Street home, he moved her body into her vehicle, despite "the close confines of the townhouse complex." After dumping her body, he then recklessly drove back near the scene of the murder and into town with blood that would have been "clearly visible on the outside of the car."

''Lead investigators did release a general profile that they created of Varaschin's killer, hoping it might help them "zero in" on the killer by sparking further tips. In the days after Varaschin's death or the discovery of her body on Sept. 5, police say the killer may have:
  • Moved from the area.
The suspect police say is likely very familiar with the Orangeville area and the gravel Beech Grove Sideroad, near Mountainview Road in Caledon, where Varaschin's body was dumped. He may know it because of "recreation, occupation or illegal activities."

''A boot impression left by a size 10 or 11 Marks Work Wearhouse men’s Dakota or Wind River brand boot appears to be the key piece of evidence in the case.

Pritchard described the person they’re looking for as “a cold-blooded killer” who targeted a “low-risk victim” and carried out a very disturbing and “high-risk” crime by attacking Varaschin in a close townhouse community and driving her blood-stained car to dispose of her body.

Detectives are still trying to determine if Varaschin knew her killer, or if he simply knew of her.''

Here's the OPP release directly:

UPDATE - SONIA VARASCHIN MURDER

Present at the summit were world renowned criminal profilers from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Behavioral Analysis Unit located in Quantico, Virginia along with behavioural science experts from the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP).

The investigative summit also included senior homicide detectives from the OPP, York Regional Police (YRP), Ottawa Police Service (OPS) and Toronto Police Service (TPS). Also in attendance were investigators assigned to this case from the Orangeville Police Service.

They describe the review as "meticulous", yet even this has not been enough to find Sonia's killer in a decade. How is this possible, when he seemed so careless?

• Moved from the area.

Following up on your idea, dotr, what about a clue in Beechgrove elsewhere?

There are so many Beechgroves, and Beech Groves in Toronto, Kingston, Nova Scotia and the U.S. Too much for me to handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam